Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Mike Chen is banned from visiting mainland China because he's frequently talked about their human rights abuses. The uncle roger guy made a collaboration video with Mike and I'm guessing Chinese viewers got pissed. It's weird because I think Youtube is already banned in China so it's not like most people can even watch them.

There are some Chinese expats in other countries who are still very, very defensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh wow, okay I didn't understand that Mike Chen had done all of that so the whole thing was bonkers without context. Plus looking it up lead to a reddit thread of people calling Mike a racist rear end in a top hat traitor so that was remarkably unhelpful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

On the other hand Mike Chen does promote that interminable lovely looking Shen Yun theater show all the time. The only good thing I can say about COVID is that I haven't seen one of their posters all year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't Mike Chen have a non-food channel that's got some dodgy science or conspiracy theory or something. I can't recall what it was but it made me raise my eyebrows.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yep. I think he did that before getting more into the food stuff and might've been on Discovery/History/something like that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

xtal posted:

There are some Chinese expats in other countries who are still very, very defensive

Had a fling with an immigrant who also was.

Lotta national pride in that there country.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Mu Zeta posted:

On the other hand Mike Chen does promote that interminable lovely looking Shen Yun theater show all the time.

My mom got my brother and I tickets for this for Christmas one year because "chinese acrobats" and I almost fell asleep during the first act. At intermission, we considered leaving but they were free tickets so whatever. Once they started talking about how Jesus was gonna wash the communist party away with a typhoon, we severely regretted not being high as gently caress for it.

It's still absolute propaganda garbage but that's my Shen Yun story.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beg your pardon. I need to know more about this utter nonsense.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

I beg your pardon. I need to know more about this utter nonsense.

This is pretty much the only thing you need to read about Shen Yun.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/stepping-into-the-uncanny-unsettling-world-of-shen-yun

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Doesn't it boil down to Falun Gong/Shen Yun being Asian Scientology? Complete with 'high level' adherents going to some massive secure compound to be mentally abused by their leader? And they sue everyone and use their money to shut down criticism.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

That article always makes me laugh because no matter how utterly balls to the walls it is described as; it doesn't really do it justice.

Obviously do not give them money, though, as they also fund The Epoch Times as the article mentioned.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Mikey is super anti CCP. I think him and his parents got kicked out of china for practicing some sort of meditation that the government didn't like.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

horchata posted:

Mikey is super anti CCP. I think him and his parents got kicked out of china for practicing some sort of meditation that the government didn't like.

that'd probably be Falun Gong.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Falun Gong is a fascist cult, and the CCP punishes them by harvesting their organs and making action figures out of their bodies. It's fair to say, never get anywhere near that discussion.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my wife is in emergency medicine and weird so we made a trip to Omaha a few years ago to go to the plasticine bodies exhibition. im guessing if it was in omaha it was probably the enemies of the CCP, to be honest

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Mikey posted a Twitter screed against CCP yesterday. I’d keep going on about it, but I’d much rather talk about Rick’s adorable dog and very dope house.

Or whatever the hell Molly’s “crack” sauce is

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Worst Cooks season 20 has been scrubbed from Food Network because the winner murdered their child. :stonk:

EDIT: ah, this was last season, the one with Alex Guarnaschelli, not the current one with Carla Hall.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 24, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

What the everloving gently caress?!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Ariel Robinson. The woman with the a bunch kids that always talked about family and how important it is and how good she is at it. And also did stand-up where she does "jokes" about putting her children in cages and punching them in the throat. She's absolutely monstrous.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like this Turkish cooking channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxi-diBpQqo

Lots of good videos.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I like this Turkish cooking channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxi-diBpQqo

Lots of good videos.

Very cool, thanks.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

fizzymercy posted:

Ariel Robinson. The woman with the a bunch kids that always talked about family and how important it is and how good she is at it. And also did stand-up where she does "jokes" about putting her children in cages and punching them in the throat. She's absolutely monstrous.

It's sort of impressive, though, that Food Network went from finding out to going "holy poo poo, pull the whole drat season she was in, we aren't even going to hint at glorifying her or making her look like she isn't a monster" in what sounds like a pretty short time.

It's a relief to have them react like that, instead of the Bon Appetit response of "we won't admit there's a problem until we're publicly dragged for it and we'll 'fix' it in the most malicious compliance manner we can come up with".

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't think food network deserves credit for pulling a tv series where a child murderer wins

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

did chris morocco murder someone when I wasn't paying attention?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

did chris morocco murder someone when I wasn't paying attention?

For all we know, yes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

lol if you didn't already think Chris was a not-so-secret psychopath even in the before times of BA. Dude worked for Anna Wintour.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Zakarian has definitely eaten human flesh.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I would assume half the TV chefs we know of have at least contemplated the most succulent and delightful ways to cook humans.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello, this is Chef John from foodwishes.com wiiith.... Long Pig.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Trabant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbFPkAjX7c

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Trabant posted:

You missed the most important part. The upwards inflection on 'Long' in 'Long Pig' needing an exclamation point.

wiiith... Long Pig!

Totally different.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
After all, you're the Hannibal of your cannibal feast!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Blindfolded Chris Morocco shoving his bare fingers into a bowl of long pig gumbo

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

the cheap dexter paring knife was a nice touch

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

the cheap dexter paring knife was a nice touch

I liked the Eminem reference.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Looks like we're getting a celebrity Bake Off this spring with the proceeds going to charity.

https://twitter.com/DizzeeRascal/status/1354906315940917249

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The latest episode of Its Alive is about canning seafood. Apparently the method Brad followed (sealing jars in boiling water) is a great way to get botulism if the jars are then stored on the shelf at room temp.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

The latest episode of Its Alive is about canning seafood. Apparently the method Brad followed (sealing jars in boiling water) is a great way to get botulism if the jars are then stored on the shelf at room temp.

love at one point they mention that this isn't safe, but then say you can probably keep it in your pantry for a few weeks

they also say you should get it to 240 internally and then imply you can do that in a pan of unpressurized boiling water

i know conde nast has lawyers lol

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
He gave a really important message upfront about important safety measures you have to follow and proceeded to follow none of them.

Those jars are going to go weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

In one of the earlier It's Alive's there's a whole thing where he goes off about how botulism hasn't been a problem since the 30s and it's all fake anyway and then a Big Ol' Vinny/Hunzi interstitial saying "THIS IS NOT TRUE, FOLLOW ALL FOOD SAFETY PROCEDURES"