Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I also just don't like torrenting a tv series, what if you don't like it and suddenly you have 90 episodes you are never gonna watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

verydarkblue posted:

I've been advised to post something so I can join the UKMT discord chat. Here is my post. I've been a lurker since 2009.

I think we need some better authentication for UKMT lurkers than this, some shibboleth like being unable not to giggle whenever beans are mentioned or something.

(Anyone mentioning loving crisps will join the insurer on my enemies list, be warned)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Someone in one of the past couple of threads posted a very elaborate way of making pickled onions with many spices and I think it may have been WhatEvil because not being able to get Sarson's pickling vinegar in Canada was mentioned, but it's that but with bell peppers.

Having lived in America for a decade and having made my own pickled onions -

* Apple cider vinegar will work in a pinch, because you probably can't get malt in sensible quantities
* You can get 'pickling spices' which will work just fine
* Failing that, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and obvs chili peppers will work just fine in a pinch; I also like to add a bit of allspice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I also just don't like torrenting a tv series, what if you don't like it and suddenly you have 90 episodes you are never gonna watch

...are you aware that it's possible to delete files?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any Other Labour Leader continues to storm the polls.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1349025755204874240?s=20

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

verydarkblue posted:

I've been advised to post something so I can join the UKMT discord chat. Here is my post. I've been a lurker since 2009.

:justpost:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or just download a single episode.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think we need some better authentication for UKMT lurkers than this, some shibboleth like being unable not to giggle whenever beans are mentioned or something.

(Anyone mentioning loving crisps will join the insurer on my enemies list, be warned)

What if you claim to be American and say 'chips'?

Torrent chat:
Do people still need to do that given that broadband for many people is so speedy now you can download 1GB in a couple of minutes?
All those Sopranos are available online if you know where to look and you can just fetch 1 episode at a time (or even watch online without downloading).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Already on the list. All of them. They know why.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peanut- posted:

Any Other Labour Leader continues to storm the polls.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1349025755204874240?s=20

Forgive my idiocy - when there's a bunch of - with no corresponding +, does that mean people have changed voting intention to "eh, gently caress 'em all I'm not voting" or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

vinegar peppers are something different apparently. love pepperoncini's though and wish they were as widely available here as in the US

I'd be tempted to try the standard biltong recipe but with peppers and in liquid suspension and without the meat:-
Wine or cider vinegar
2.5 tbsp coarse salt (2% of the meatpeppers weight)
2 tsp Ground black pepper
2 tbsp Coriander seed
1.5 tbsp Brown sugar
Hot spices to taste

feedmegin posted:

Having lived in America for a decade and having made my own pickled onions -

* Apple cider vinegar will work in a pinch, because you probably can't get malt in sensible quantities
* You can get 'pickling spices' which will work just fine
* Failing that, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and obvs chili peppers will work just fine in a pinch; I also like to add a bit of allspice.
That sounds good too.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Blueshirt posted:

Forgive my idiocy - when there's a bunch of - with no corresponding +, does that mean people have changed voting intention to "eh, gently caress 'em all I'm not voting" or something?
All switched to the communist party.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Its not the hard drive space that bothers me as much as the depressing thought of yet another piece of disposable media on the bonfire

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its been a while but i used to quick pickle carrots a lot which was just using a 50/50 water/cider vinegar mix, a ton of salt and then loads of sliced carrots + chillies and garlic. Leave over night and you're good to go. it'd work for peppers but i suppose its whether you want a crunch or not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its not the hard drive space that bothers me as much as the depressing thought of yet another piece of disposable media on the bonfire

there are dodgy streaming sites that have pretty much anything you'd ever be able to torrent available for streaming

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I kinda get you. I have 18000+ science fiction ebooks I've never read and do not have enough years left to read. Even if I read a book a day, I'd be about 110 years old to read them all. I can't quite bring myself to press the delete button though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's barely UKpol but it's funny to see Hadley Freeman get bodied on Twitter for this bollocks:

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1348897002885668870

e: No, I've decided this is a good snipe.

Best reply thread:

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1349001224167813121

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When I was renting a few years ago my housemate asked me to estimate how much stuff i had for the contents insurance. He wanted to go for £10k for all 3 people's stuff, until I pointed out that if you estimated £10 to replace each CD and £15 per DVD, i owned at least £20k without even getting started on my books and physical game collection.

Yeah as part of the process of moving to Canada you have to provide a list of all of the things you'll be importing as your private belongings plus their value. So what that means is I literally had to go through everything I owned and place a value on it - though you are allowed to group items together so "Bedding: £300" or "Books: £2000" or whatever is acceptable - you don't have to go through and list each book.

Anyway, was quite surprised to find out that all of the stuff I own added up to ~ £25k.

No really huge single items - just stuff like the telly, couple of PCs, guitar and amp, clothes, books, bedding, kitchen stuff, some (aluminium frame - so not too fancy) bikes, tools, etc. - surprising how quickly it all adds up. Also it only filled half of a 20ft container when packed up - though I did sell almost all of my furniture apart from some office chairs and a desk.

Pro tip though: If you move to Canada/America, *don't* sell all of your furniture... unless it's the difference between shipping a few boxes over and getting a container.

People/forums etc. were all like "Oh yeah furniture is really cheap over there, sell all your poo poo and buy new stuff in Canada!". Lies - really lovely furniture can be had for cheap - the quality of bed frames in particular that's considered to be the standard here is loving atrocious. I had a chunky solid oak bedroom set - bed and two nightstands, which i got from oakfurnitureland.co.uk for about £600 total (e: I think it was this one or one very similar: https://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/original-rustic-solid-oak-5ft-king-size-bed/1147.html - good bed) but for £600 over here, for just a bed frame, you get super lovely chipboard stuff and for a solid oak bed you're looking at something stupid like £1200 minimum.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flayer posted:

Points at electorate *radicalised*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Blueshirt posted:

Either they moved to a party not listed, or (IMO) more likely, all the apparent movement is margin-for error and rounding errors and the like. Individual polls make comparatively little difference, especially this far out from an election, trending data is more important.

For a given value of important, anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blueshirt posted:

I think it means that they have shifted to parties not on the list, or such that if you have, say, one party at X.7% and another at X.1%, if that shifts to two X.4%s then the X.7% party loses a percentage in rounding but nobody gains it.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

jiggerypokery posted:

The amazing thing is that the failure of centralised food distribution to efficiently meet the needs of the people is the strongest argument against soviet style Communism.

Honestly I think there is more of a distinction to be made between ‘markets’ and ‘contracts’ than there is between ‘private’ and ‘public’ or ‘for-profit’ and ‘not-for-profit’. No one would buy a box of food like that for £30 a market, so probably no one would even try and sell it. But sign a contract in advance, and everything is different.

You can sign an contract, entirely privately with no explicit state involvement, given a free choice of any number of providers. The problem is you are deciding based on what they promise, and some people lie. You are still entirely at the mercy of the company deciding it would be a good idea to pay out on your insurance, or deliver the food you paid for. And the only reason they bother at all is the force of the state actually enforcing they follow what was written. Repeat business at a reasonable margin is always going to be less money than the 100% profit you make from simple not delivering.

The most successful companies in a market are those who can make good things cheaply; the most successful contract-oriented firms are those who can best resist or subvert the state legal pressure to follow the contract.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Not gonna lie, want one of those posh school meal boxes now.

https://twitter.com/mmtowns/status/1348767879450255364

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Flayer posted:

Which reminds me that I learned a lot about the new General Secretary of Unison when I read that she used to be a member of the Communist Party back in the day, and is now expected to provide solid support for Keith Stamper.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I actually don't believe that one's real

The fruit & veg is fresh, for a start

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

You'll have your sixth of a carrot and like it!

Anyway, SATC was fine for what it was at the time, but few pieces of media have aged more poorly. It's about a woman who lives in a Manhattan apartment and owns shitloads of expensive shoes and dresses, yet her only income appears to be from writing a single 500 word article about dating a week that is so low-effort that she is able to type it out while sitting cross-legged on her bed. It's like the entire programme is a spit into the face of millennials. This new version should just be the women hanging around in cafes while current thirty-somethings scream at them.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 12, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Borrovan posted:

That's everything I need for my famous chili con apple. Gonna have to use grated cheese as rice but bootstraps.

Might just smash my balls in with the potato. Choices.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

You'll have your sixth of a carrot and like it!

Anyway, SATC was fine for what it was at the time, but few pieces of media have aged more poorly. It's about a woman who lives in a Manhattan apartment and owns shitloads of expensive shoes and dresses, yet her only income appears to be from writing a single 500 word article about dating a week that is so low-effort that she is able to type it out while sitting cross-legged on her bed. It's like the entire programme is a spit into the face of millennials. This new version should just be the woman hanging around in cafes while current thirty-somethings scream at them.

I suppose it's from an era where a newspaper columnist got their own billboards and bus adverts (was that an actual era?) and probably got paid a disproportionately insane sum. eg before print media died.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyway, SATC was fine for what it was at the time, but few pieces of media have aged more poorly. It's about a woman who lives in a Manhattan apartment and owns shitloads of expensive shoes and dresses, yet her only income appears to be from writing a single 500 word article about dating a week that is so low-effort that she is able to type it out while sitting cross-legged on her bed. It's like the entire programme is a spit into the face of millennials. This new version should just be the Guardian op-ed process.
ftfy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say that position still exists except you go on twitter and call them shitlibs now.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If SATC ended with all of Carrie's friends dead or in jail then maybe it too would be as well loved as The Sopranos

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Anyone who is mystified by people doing gently caress all and getting paid astronomical sums of money for it has not been paying attention to western capitalism.

Sex in the City is praxis for informing the masses about the excesses of the rich and idle and i will not be taking questions at this time.

(S&tC episode on PiP, do it you cowards)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'll watch the anime

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Regarde Aduck posted:

Might just smash my balls in with the potato. Choices.

I'm sorry, this counts as sex work, your hamper privileges have been revoked

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'll watch the anime
We regret to inform you that the adaptation 'Badsex Hentai Janarisuto' has been banned in 15 countries and you're now on a list.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't think downloading a file means you have to rip out the hard drive and put it in the bin

Unless it's, y'know, but that's the church's problem

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The thing about the SaTC reboot is Samantha (British actor Kim Catrell) isn’t coming back for it.

From everything that’s been said about the back-scene shenanigans, it seems that it is largely because she and SJP hated each other, and all the cast sided with SJP over her. (Possibly because she was the outsider compared to the rest of the American cast.)

Or as one person put it “the only tolerable character will not be returning.”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Deutsche Bank will no longer do business with Donald Trump, New York Times reports
According to the New York Times, Deutsche Bank, the president’s largest lender, will no longer do business with Donald Trump, his family and his personal businesses. Reports also revealed that Trump currently owes Deutsche Bank more than $300 million, which is due in the next few years.
Photo via @CNBCTV18Live

source: https://twitter.com/i/events/1349011895370403840

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 12, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

This doesn't seem to be embedding for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember being astonished that Kim Cattral was born in Liverpool and even more astonished to rewatch Big Trouble in Little China and see her in it!