Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Disenchantment was 100% unfunny dogshit for season 0.5, and is still awful, but it's on a consistent (if slow) upward trend which is more than can be said for Simpsons atm.

It has all the buildong blocks of something that could be good, I was genuinely surprised how badly they could get it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I can't even bring myself to push play on the first episode. Everything about it looks cringe, and I could not care less about the premise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I can't even bring myself to push play on the first episode. Everything about it looks cringe, and I could not care less about the premise.

You're not missing much. The visuals are interesting and the voice cast puts in good work, but that's about all it's got going for it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The episode about the giantess made me irrationally angry. Why did Elfo invent a girlfriend? He already thought he had a girlfriend!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I enjoyed my first watch, but I haven't felt any desire to rewatch. there's a lot of potentially good stuff, and the arc is maybe a good development. we'll see.

I might give it another crack now that I've been through Bob's Burgs a couple times.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

simplefish posted:

It has all the buildong blocks of something that could be good, I was genuinely surprised how badly they could get it wrong

yes; yes

Das Boo posted:

The episode about the giantess made me irrationally angry. Why did Elfo invent a girlfriend? He already thought he had a girlfriend!

it's like they're going out of the gate with Bart is a rapper / oh poo poo robots are now immortal except Bender, who suddenly thought he was immortal

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Apple store

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

How did she know it was specifically the beaver from The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?

I haven't seen this obvious trash episode but I'm gonna guess it's some nightmarish puke where she told him that was her fantasy, but he was only interested in banging her dressed as green haired elf, and was trying to force her to wear that poo poo during sex without his reciprocating any of the cosplay fetish stuff that she wanted because he thinks book books are stupid and childish

And in the end he finally mans up and wears the thing that he thinks is stupid and they gently caress uuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can you believe someone got paid to write this absolute horrendous garbage

@PostNouveau confirm/deny?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

I haven't seen this obvious trash episode but I'm gonna guess it's some nightmarish puke where she told him that was her fantasy, but he was only interested in banging her dressed as green haired elf, and was trying to force her to wear that poo poo during sex without his reciprocating any of the cosplay fetish stuff that she wanted because he thinks book books are stupid and childish

And in the end he finally mans up and wears the thing that he thinks is stupid and they gently caress uuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can you believe someone got paid to write this absolute horrendous garbage

@PostNouveau confirm/deny?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no, they were just into cosplay. She was wearing that stuff earlier in the episode to try to seduce him into knocking her up.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I hate myself and have been watching the entire series, this has been brought up multiple times before, but I really hate how jokes are explained all the loving time now

in ye olden simpsons they would have just skipped that second line

also that one with Sacha Baron Cohen guest starring was insanely unfunny

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

finalellipsis posted:

So, business as usual?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no, they were just into cosplay. She was wearing that stuff earlier in the episode to try to seduce him into knocking her up.

So him putting on the beaver suit is basically just saying "come here and gently caress me" with no pretext or setup in the episode's story at all? It's only right then that it's revealed what her weird kink is for... some reason?

God the writers of this show are :chloe: as gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

So him putting on the beaver suit is basically just saying "come here and gently caress me" with no pretext or setup in the episode's story at all? It's only right then that it's revealed what her weird kink is for... some reason?

Yeah, I mean I guess I could have missed it earlier in the episode I ain't paying like super close attention

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

finalellipsis posted:

I hate myself and have been watching the entire series, this has been brought up multiple times before, but I really hate how jokes are explained all the loving time now

I think I've brought it up in this thread before but even when they can't outright explain the joke they have a character groan and roll their eyes just to let you know that it's a joke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That one sounds like they were trying to recapture

"... Whether you're Christian, Jewish, or ... miscellaneous!"
"Hindu! There are 750 million of us!"

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I like that they didn't put the thumb over the last finger so it looks like he's making tiger claws instead of air quotes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

That one sounds like they were trying to recapture

"... Whether you're Christian, Jewish, or ... miscellaneous!"
"Hindu! There are 750 million of us!"

Always feel like if the Simpsons had ended when it was still good, Apu would be remembered as, while a stereotype, still a step in the right direction.

If.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

finalellipsis posted:

This feels like a problem in a lot of modern comedy. You make a joke, and then instead of being contented that you made a joke, you have to mine that fucker. So maybe you add in an extraneous explanatory line, maybe you go and illustrate the joke.

Jon Oliver used to do this all the time. He still might, but once somebody pointed it out, it stood out like a sore thumb, and I can't watch him anymore without screaming "you already told the joke! You can stop it!"

It's also surprising. These episodes run like 18-19 minutes now, when you subtract the credits. So wasted lines like these serve no purpose.

The other side of it is that a lot of modern comedy settles for being clever instead of funny. Ken Levine recently wrote about these things, calling them "like a joke," things that sound and look like jokes and aren't actually jokes.

This is a guy who wrote for M*A*S*H, Cheers, Frasier, Wings, Mary Tyler Moore's show from the mid-80s, AfterM*A*S*H (which he turned down an opportunity to write for the Cosby Show for, a decision he never regretted and has only ever felt better about as time went on), and... two episodes of the Simpsons - Dancing Homer, and Saturdays of Thunder.

So yeah, I think he knows his stuff.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 13, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Cemetry Gator posted:

This feels like a problem in a lot of modern comedy. You make a joke, and then instead of being contented that you made a joke, you have to mine that fucker. So maybe you add in an extraneous explanatory line, maybe you go and illustrate the joke.

Jon Oliver used to do this all the time. He still might, but once somebody pointed it out, it stood out like a sore thumb, and I can't watch him anymore without screaming "you already told the joke! You can stop it!"

It's also surprising. These episodes run like 18-19 minutes now, when you subtract the credits. So wasted lines like these serve no purpose.

The other side of it is that a lot of modern comedy settles for being clever instead of funny. Ken Levine recently wrote about these things, calling them "like a joke," things that sound and look like jokes and aren't actually jokes.

This is a guy who wrote for M*A*S*H, Cheers, Frasier, Wings, Mary Tyler Moore's show from the mid-80s, AfterM*A*S*H (which he turned down an opportunity to write for the Cosby Show for, a decision he never regretted and has only ever felt better about as time went on), and... two episodes of the Simpsons - Dancing Homer, and Saturdays of Thunder.

So yeah, I think he knows his stuff.

can I get a link?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there seems to be a weird move towards improv for a lot of things. that's fine if the people involved are really good at improv, but most people aren't.

a lot of these scripts read like somebody took "first thought, best thought" entirely to heart, like they're writing up to the word count for something rather than trying to edit it down to the best stuff

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Empty Sandwich posted:

there seems to be a weird move towards improv for a lot of things. that's fine if the people involved are really good at improv, but most people aren't.

a lot of these scripts read like somebody took "first thought, best thought" entirely to heart, like they're writing up to the word count for something rather than trying to edit it down to the best stuff

Do you think it's is that because people network and start careers at places like UCB instead of writing for Army Man Magazine or Harvard Lampoon?

or for [checks notes] the Van Brunt & Co advertising agency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDESNnO1w4

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Greg12 posted:

can I get a link?

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/11/like-jokes.html?m=1

There's not too much, it's pretty high level. But the blog is worth reading since he talks a lot about writing for TV shows. I feel like he also avoids "young people suck" and instead talks about TV shows honestly.

Here's him talking about the Simpsons - http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-we-got-our-first-simpsons-assignment.html?m=1

He points out something - how important Simon was to the overall tone of the show.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Empty Sandwich posted:

some of them strike me as products of being able to write on the spot thanks to multi camera & cheap digital. you can just get a bunch of takes of people saying random stuff and decide what's funny later.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Greg12 posted:

Do you think it's is that because people network and start careers at places like UCB instead of writing for Army Man Magazine or Harvard Lampoon?

or for [checks notes] the Van Brunt & Co advertising agency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDESNnO1w4

I think there's a lot to that, now that you mention it. they've become the pipelines for a lot of comedians.

bus hustler posted:

some of them strike me as products of being able to write on the spot thanks to multi camera & cheap digital. you can just get a bunch of takes of people saying random stuff and decide what's funny later.

that makes sense, too. I was just looking up Christopher Guest movies while I was thinking about this, and they used to chew up a hell of a lot of film just getting towards what they finally used. (plus they basically have an ensemble, in addition to being loving good at what they do.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

GUYS

help me out here and confirm i'm not going crazy

so as some of you know, i've purchased a subscription to disney+ mainly to watch the simpsons, which i haven't for like nearly a decade.

so i come across a classic episode, when bart and lisa go to camp krusty, and i came across this scene:

*kids run out of school when bell rings*
*history teacher comes out*
history teacher: wait! you all don't know how WWII ends
*kids stop and wait*
HT: we won!
*kids cheer and chant U.S.A.*

now, as stated, while i haven't seen the show in a long time, i HAVE seen this episode a gajillion times growing up. and i'm 99.999% positive the guy didn't reference WWII, but the Civil War. because i feel the only way the joke works is if it uses the Civil War.

am i insane or what?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 14, 2021

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure it was always WWII in tv re-runs. But they could have edited it to move the joke to a new corner for syndication.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

now, as stated, while i haven't seen the show in a long time, i HAVE seen this episode a gajillion times growing up. and i'm 99.999% positive the guy didn't reference WWII, but the Civil War. because i feel the only way the joke works is if it uses the Civil War.

am i insane or what?
I've always known it as WW2 and think the joke works better as that than it would as the civil war.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

GUYS

so as some of you know, i've purchased a subscription to disney+ mainly to watch the simpsons, which i haven't for like nearly a decade.

so i come across a classic episode, when bart and lisa go to camp krusty, and i came across this scene:

*kids stop and wait*

am i insane or what?

Going off memories of the original edition dvd, it’s always been WWII

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I only remember WWII. I think Civil War would restrict the states Springfield could be in too much

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember it being wwii in first run. I could swear to it.

Fwiw I think “civil war” is too oblique a joke. “WWII” is absurd just like the situation it’s in; it’s all about the relief of stress, not caring about details or responsibilities anymore. And then the teacher is like “wait! You’re not done yet!” Pregnant pause while they await the other shoe dropping, complicated facts to memorize, more crap to deal with, then — “we won” lol never mind

It’s not supposed to be some kind of commentary or political statement

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

that's so bizarre. i swear that's how i remember it. :psyboom:

i mean, the reason the civil war works is because it's funny that the u.s. "won" a war against ourselves. referencing WWII wouldn't work as a joke cause that's kind of exactly what happened

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 14, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Besides we know their textbooks were written during the Korean War (and have that base 6 crap in them), but it strains credulity to think they wouldn't even have made it as far as the Civil War by end of year

And we know how important continuity is in this show

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

that's so bizarre. i swear that's how i remember it. :psyboom:

i mean, the reason the civil war works is because it's funny that the u.s. "won" a war against ourselves. referencing WWII wouldn't work as a joke cause that's kind of exactly what happened

But what makes it funny is that it's obvious we won given that Germany isn't all of Europe and Japan isn't a significant chunk of eastern Asia. The joke isn't the outcome, the joke was that the outcome could ever be in question and the events that led to the Cold War are simply summed up in "we won" is a great joke.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
The end of WWII is where the U.S. is a Viking.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
What is this, the local?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Mr Interweb posted:

GUYS

*kids stop and wait*

am i insane or what?

I think you're smashing this one up with a similar joke in s07e25 "But what happened in Ford's theater? Was President Lincoln OK? Go home, Ralph."

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I only remember WWII. I think Civil War would restrict the states Springfield could be in too much

Springfield is in a Union state apparently

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That WWII joke pretty much sums up the way American education teaches history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Been watching them all on Disney+ with my wife on our lunchbreaks / to fill 20 minutes, and the first episode with absolutely no redeeming qualities or jokes that land to us, is Season 12, Episode 20.

I think the reason it's so egregious is because people (especially Homer) act really out of character in it, and not even in the service of jokes.

Homer breaks his leg playing basketball, and is all "What will I do, just sit around watching TV?" Which at first seems like it's being played as a joke, but is a recurring sentiment of his character, until he starts a childcare center. It's central to the plot. It just feels weird. Bart and Lisa are kinda weird in this episode too.

It was the first one in the run where we've both felt like we should find something else to watch instead.