Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

Sweet, ordered on Amazon for 42 bones. I also drew a picture to make sure I get the set up right.

Do I have to do A or could I just as easily do B? My concern is that I also play twitchy low-as-possible latency shooters with friends.

I am doing A - you want minimal sources of delay so we want ethernet pc to vr router so that the dominating latency factor is wireless. Since you will only have one device on the wifi, that should also be minimized as far as we are able to. (also connect new vr router WAN port to any regular ethernet port on your internet router, it'll probably have 2-4 available, then go into settings and put it in Access Point mode. It's very easy to do)

Again, not an expert, but ethernet connections are limited mostly by the speed of light and any processing when you hit a router. They are designed for that, to just pass the data through as fast as it can, so I'm guessing very low single digit ms latency will be added - and doing a quick look around it looks like it may be more like measured in the microseconds, up to maybe 1 ms extra time. I think even in twitch heavy games your internet connection and distance to server is going to be the dominating term by far but I'd love for backup from someone more into networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I just ordered an Elite strap and I figure if I want to run a battery pack I’d just secure an Anker device with ranger bands to the strap.

Question- has anyone gotten Star Wars Squadrons to work with the Quest 2? It’s not working for me with Virtual Desktop; all I get is a black screen with sound but nothing in the display itself.

Also Onward is a ton of fun if you manage to play with people who automatically vote kick anyone who sounds like they haven’t gone through puberty yet.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

canyoneer posted:

I have a power brick in my back pocket with a 5 foot cable. I like that setup a lot.
Reminds me of the old Petzl headlamps with the batteries in a belt pack

That's also a good setup but I didn't want the chance of cables getting ripped out - I hear people often route the cord inside their shirt but often I don't wear a shirt and often I don't have, uh, pockets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Question- has anyone gotten Star Wars Squadrons to work with the Quest 2? It’s not working for me with Virtual Desktop; all I get is a black screen with sound but nothing in the display itself.

I have, but it was a bit wonky and I had to restart my whole PC to get it working. Basically started the game in the flat screen mode using VD, then quit, rebooted the PC and quest, when everything started back up I launched the game again the same way and toggled the VR mode setting in the options. I will try to dig up the reddit post I found that walked me through these steps in case this isn't 100% correct, it's been a while.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rolo posted:

Sweet, ordered on Amazon for 42 bones. I also drew a picture to make sure I get the set up right.

Do I have to do A or could I just as easily do B? My concern is that I also play twitchy low-as-possible latency shooters with friends.

Love the visual aid.

A and B shouldn't make a difference and I'd probably suggest B for ease. Modern routers are REALLY good at directing traffic once it has the packet. Speed of light good. The extra hop is not a big deal if it's a decent router.

Enderzero posted:

Again, not an expert, but ethernet connections are limited mostly by the speed of light and any processing when you hit a router. They are designed for that, to just pass the data through as fast as it can, so I'm guessing very low single digit ms latency will be added - and doing a quick look around it looks like it may be more like measured in the microseconds, up to maybe 1 ms extra time.

Yeah, the difference is going to be well under your rounding errors since you have wifi involved anyway. B looks just easier to manage for most situations.

Your delay is coming from wifi and the decoder. The big thing is to get your PC wired so your not introducing ANOTHER wifi layer. If its connected and your router isn't saturated/super crappy it should be fine.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 12, 2021

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

Love the visual aid.

A and B shouldn't make a difference and I'd probably suggest B for ease. Modern routers are REALLY good at directing traffic once it has the packet. Speed of light good. The extra hop is not a big deal if it's a decent router.

Yeah, the difference is going to be well under your rounding errors since you have wifi involved anyway. B looks just easier to manage for most situations.

Your delay is coming from wifi and the decoder. The big thing is to get your PC wired so your not introducing ANOTHER wifi layer. If its connected and your router isn't saturated/super crappy it should be fine.

Perfectly explained.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Lockback posted:

Love the visual aid.

lol.

Ok so I’m gonna go with B to keep the setup simpler and the new router 100% for the oculus. Should I still put the new one in “access point mode” if I’m planning on using a separate, hidden ID?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

lol.

Ok so I’m gonna go with B to keep the setup simpler and the new router 100% for the oculus. Should I still put the new one in “access point mode” if I’m planning on using a separate, hidden ID?

I believe so because I think that allows you to use a separate ssid so you can ensure only the quest is on the vr router and no other devices, and prevent the quest from accidentally connecting to your internet router. But I'm not 100% sure since you are doing a slightly different topology than what I set up.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Rolo posted:

lol.

Yes, unless you want the new router to take over things like DHCP and NAT from your modem/router, which by the sounds of things you do not. If all you want the new router to do is to provide a dedicated wifi link to your oculus, and have your existing network configuration remain untouched, AP mode with a separate SSID is the way to do it.

pantsfree fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 12, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rolo posted:

I do have FS20 so that would be cool. The thing I’m most excited for is showing it to my buddy who hasn’t seen a legit VR setup and is obsessed with the last gen flight sim.

Poor guy’s brain is gonna pop.

My grandfather-in-law is a Korea-era USAF pilot who owned a Cessna 172 for like 20 years; his reaction while wearing the headset as we flew him around in a 172 was the most energetic and spry I've seen him in six years, and justified the investment by itself. He went as nuts as a 90+ year old man can.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pantsfree posted:

Yes, unless you want the new router to take over things like DHCP and NAT from your modem/router, which by the sounds of things you do not. If all you want the new router to do is to provide a dedicated wifi link to your oculus, and have your existing network configuration remain untouched, AP mode with a separate SSID is the way to do it.

Ok great. Sounds like you nailed exactly what I want to do.

Squiggle posted:

My grandfather-in-law is a Korea-era USAF pilot who owned a Cessna 172 for like 20 years; his reaction while wearing the headset as we flew him around in a 172 was the most energetic and spry I've seen him in six years, and justified the investment by itself. He went as nuts as a 90+ year old man can.

My friend paid to unlock the exact model jet I fly for work and had me over. Every switch, button and screen inside the cockpit was perfect.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I found the post i was thinking of with some detail on the weapon inertia used in robo recall, and the technical details:

quote:

So I'm the guy who made all the weapon stuff in Robo Recall! Really glad you noticed all the detail that went into this!

We gave a talk after we’d made bullet train, and I talked a little about smoothing to remove jitter, and give a small sense of weight, but I knew I wanted to do better for Robo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIexGSksnPQ&t=2267s
I basically run a few “spring” functions based on your hand position. One for the hand position itself, and one for the end point of the gun, so it lags behind in a natural fashion. The bigger guns have heavier mass properties fed into the function, so they’re slower to move. I may have overdone it a little on the shotgun... some people are a little more sensitive to it!

It took a few attempts to land where it did, but I ended up being pretty happy with the result. We released the mod kit for Robo a while back, so if any developers are interested in taking a look/ totally stealing what we did, I can point you towards the exact place to look.

Edit: more details following!

In the Robo Recall mod kit, take a look in BP_DefaultHand and open up the "Calculate New Relative Transform" function.

The first section is the "Springy forward vector" to simulate off-center mass. This makes the end of the gun lag behind a little. I use this as a "look at" target for the forward axis of the gun.

Second part is to make sure the roll of the gun is handled too (same idea, just much more subtle). This is to define the up axis.

Third part is "Laggy hand position" to define how the actual position of the gun lags behind.

If you jump into the "Update Vector Spring" function used for all three here, you can see I'm using a new function (made for us to use on robo recall) called "Vector Spring Interp". You need to make a edit-by-ref variable for the "spring state" input to use (right click on the pin- promote to variable. Easiest way to do this), and the rest of the inputs are hopefully fairly straight forward for typical spring math (they're pretty well commented on mouse-hover).

They all use a mass variable that I store on each grabbed object (on the interaction component), so that different weapons feel a little different.

Cheers!

Nick

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Rolo posted:

lol.

Ideally yes as long as it has the option. If it doesn't, before you connect it to your other router turn the dchp off. This stops the two from arguing about who is the boss.

I've got a WiFi6 router connected directly to my pc and then connected to my main Internet router. Nothing but the quest connects to my WiFi 6.all with cable connection as my pc is in a separate room that acts like a Faraday cage so WiFi was not an option.

I get a 1200mbps connection speed with no noticeable latency or drops in VD

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Unless everyone has a heavy gun stock, theres no way around using artificial means to steady the gun in VR. Honestly the best feeling VR guns in general add artificial weight and inertia to guns, even pistols, as the weightless guns always feel off in VR. In real life guns are heavy objects and that weight alone stabilizes things as small hand jitters don't easily overcome the inertia that amount of mass brings, but VR is all like holding laser pointers that jitter and jump all over, and theres no other solution than an artificial one.

Theres been some good discussion on it over the years, lemming posted that one great video, there was another i couldn't find of the robo recall devs discussing the small inertia given to guns in it, but its one of those things that instantly separates polished VR experiences for me, is if the guns feel *good* (even if its ignoring 1:1 mapping with your actual movements) or if they feel like laser pointers.

If you're putting in a sniper stage, i say crank up the artificial weight/inertia of the gun, because in real life holding a rifle against my shoulder and aiming, even when standing, what movement there is through the scope is slow and gradual, not jittery.

I don't play a lot of VR shooters, but I can imagine a system where say once you are looking down a scope you can squeeze the grip buttons to "hold your breath" which would lock in the zoomed in area you are looking at and allow you to make small corrections with your fore hand. Basically would be like a toggle to go from 1:1 tracking to something slowed way down, kinda like the DPI switch on a mouse.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got shaky rear end hands which makes it basically impossible for me to use guns in vr. All my gunplay is me running up to the thing I want to shoot and firmly pressing my gun against them. Or getting close to my bed so I can rest my hand on it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Leal posted:

I got shaky rear end hands which makes it basically impossible for me to use guns in vr. All my gunplay is me running up to the thing I want to shoot and firmly pressing my gun against them. Or getting close to my bed so I can rest my hand on it.

I've found treating it like a real pistol when possible works well, so two handed with off hand supporting main hand and aim with your shoulders instead of your wrists. This gives stability and allows you to make finer more stable adjustments.

It's also a lot of fun to say gently caress that poo poo and turn on aim assist so you can dual wield on Pistol Whip and feel like you're in a John Woo movie!

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 12, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am once again asking everyone to play Population One. It has a gun damping option which quells the shakiness. Super helpful when shooting AR’s long distance and also with sniper rifles, but I dont use those nearly as much.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

edit: whoops wrong thread

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Xachariah posted:

It's also a lot of fun to say gently caress that poo poo and turn on aim assist so you can dual wield on Pistol Whip and feel like you're in a John Woo movie!

This is how I play. gently caress realism, lemme blast away!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm working on getting Gorilla Tag up on Sidequest and Steam right now, it's still pretty basic but I think it's already a lot of fun :toot:

https://i.imgur.com/czIKEh8.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/z7Ko9Xi.mp4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe I should get weighted gauntlets so my hand shakes are weighed down. And then when I need to ascend to my final form I can dramatically take the gloves off and let them drop and I get covered in a dust cloud from the weights landing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been playing VR under 10x gravity until I can afford a hyperbolic time chamber

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any word on if the cracking elite straps have been fixed? My local Best Buy has one in store. Thinking of getting it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Any word on if the cracking elite straps have been fixed? My local Best Buy has one in store. Thinking of getting it

I *think* most of the damaged ones were from an early run. I won't say later ones are invulnerable but it seems like those have a more normal failure rate.

I'd say you're pretty safe and Oculus is refunding/replacing the broken ones pretty quickly even if you do get one.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Oculus sent me the VR cover facial interface and pleather foam replacement after I got a rash from the Q2's stock foam and god drat is it SO much better. Definitely open a ticket with Oculus Support if you are getting any redness/rash after using the stock Quest 2 foam interface.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Unless everyone has a heavy gun stock, theres no way around using artificial means to steady the gun in VR. Honestly the best feeling VR guns in general add artificial weight and inertia to guns, even pistols, as the weightless guns always feel off in VR. In real life guns are heavy objects and that weight alone stabilizes things as small hand jitters don't easily overcome the inertia that amount of mass brings, but VR is all like holding laser pointers that jitter and jump all over, and theres no other solution than an artificial one.

Theres been some good discussion on it over the years, lemming posted that one great video, there was another i couldn't find of the robo recall devs discussing the small inertia given to guns in it, but its one of those things that instantly separates polished VR experiences for me, is if the guns feel *good* (even if its ignoring 1:1 mapping with your actual movements) or if they feel like laser pointers.

If you're putting in a sniper stage, i say crank up the artificial weight/inertia of the gun, because in real life holding a rifle against my shoulder and aiming, even when standing, what movement there is through the scope is slow and gradual, not jittery.

Yeah, I've been trying to keep things pretty 1:1 but that may be the wrong approach entirely. I'm also going for a more goofy arcadey experience, and light guns tend to be very laser pointery and much lighter than a real gun because you're shooting way more than you would a real gun, but I'll play around with adding even more inertia to the guns.

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't play a lot of VR shooters, but I can imagine a system where say once you are looking down a scope you can squeeze the grip buttons to "hold your breath" which would lock in the zoomed in area you are looking at and allow you to make small corrections with your fore hand. Basically would be like a toggle to go from 1:1 tracking to something slowed way down, kinda like the DPI switch on a mouse.

:sigh: that was discussed a couple pages ago in the posts he is responding to. And its not even really that straightforward.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to keep things pretty 1:1 but that may be the wrong approach entirely. I'm also going for a more goofy arcadey experience, and light guns tend to be very laser pointery and much lighter than a real gun because you're shooting way more than you would a real gun, but I'll play around with adding even more inertia to the guns.

Obviously I don't know how you're implementing, but you might want to investigate filtering and signal processing rather than smoothing. I'm not sure what the magic words you want to search for to find an algorithm, but generally it's about making sense of stuff like jittery input sources. A very simple and naive version would be to do something like have a max delta threshold, and you just ignore any input delta that goes beyond that.

(Edit I'm looking at you Shooty Fruity. They're treating the gun as a laser pointer, the reticle is a jittery mess and accuracy is terrible)

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Lemming posted:

I'm working on getting Gorilla Tag up on Sidequest and Steam right now, it's still pretty basic but I think it's already a lot of fun :toot:

Game needs 100% more hilarious ragdoll legs flopping about.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wheezle posted:

Game needs 100% more hilarious ragdoll legs dongs flopping about.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Make all of the player models Sebulba. What's the price you're aiming for? I'm down to buy it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Xachariah posted:

I've found treating it like a real pistol when possible works well, so two handed with off hand supporting main hand and aim with your shoulders instead of your wrists. This gives stability and allows you to make finer more stable adjustments.

I've actually found the opposite works better for me, but I've only played Alyx for VR shooters so far because I literally got my kit yesterday. If I try to precise aim too much I end up turning my hand in and missing the shot but if I'm a little more loose I actually hit the shots better unless they're way far away.

I feel like starting with a super polished game might be spoiling myself, especially with the flicking stuff to you with the Russells, but I'm really digging it. Other than Boneworks which is probably next on the docket what other VR shooty stuff is a must-play? Probably getting Pistol Whip as well because it looks amazing and stylish and absolutely my jam.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sigher posted:

Make all of the player models Sebulba. What's the price you're aiming for? I'm down to buy it.

Other suggestions:
E.T.
Yoda, holding those grabber sticks in each hand
Several weasels in a trenchcoat

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Anyone here tried a wireless PC VR setup but with the router and the PC on different floors?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dupersaurus posted:

Obviously I don't know how you're implementing, but you might want to investigate filtering and signal processing rather than smoothing. I'm not sure what the magic words you want to search for to find an algorithm, but generally it's about making sense of stuff like jittery input sources. A very simple and naive version would be to do something like have a max delta threshold, and you just ignore any input delta that goes beyond that.

(Edit I'm looking at you Shooty Fruity. They're treating the gun as a laser pointer, the reticle is a jittery mess and accuracy is terrible)

The issue there is that large deltas are still valid. You should be able to suddenly turn the gun to point behind you instead of infront of you; ignoring that would mean the gun would be mostly frozen in place. At that point, just go ahead and mount it on a bipod.

A lot of signal filtering stuff involves removing like higher frequency noise from lower frequency sound, but I don't think that really applies to VR position data. The hard part is telling what's a jitter and what's you adjusting your aim... its not all that easy.

Yeah Shooty Fruity is fun but also kinda jitty.

Lemming posted:

Am I crazy or are the player models the magician summoned elementals from Everquest? :allears: I looove it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thom and the Heads posted:

Oculus sent me the VR cover facial interface and pleather foam replacement after I got a rash from the Q2's stock foam and god drat is it SO much better. Definitely open a ticket with Oculus Support if you are getting any redness/rash after using the stock Quest 2 foam interface.

I am definitely getting red skin when wearing the Quest 2, no real discomfort but if they're willing to send a replacement then I'll look into that, thanks.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bussamove posted:

I feel like starting with a super polished game might be spoiling myself, especially with the flicking stuff to you with the Russells, but I'm really digging it. Other than Boneworks which is probably next on the docket what other VR shooty stuff is a must-play? Probably getting Pistol Whip as well because it looks amazing and stylish and absolutely my jam.

The closest thing to Alyx that I've played is Doom 3. If you're on Quest you can sideload it and run it natively, or there are mods for PC.

I've been playing it on Quest 2 and loving it, despite thinking the game was pretty boring when it came out. It does a bunch of stuff that works really well in VR and it actually has a LOT in common with Alyx. They've both got zombies that throw barrels, pitch black levels where you have to rely on your flashlight, head spiders/crabs, military dudes who fight together, and a bunch of cool scripted sequences that you don't get a lot of in VR titles. So many enemies get a cool entrance.

The Quest 2 version looks great but is missing the dynamic lighting. I'm enjoying it so much that I kinda want to load it up on PC and play it with fully cranked graphics and graphical update mods, but just playing on the Quest itself is so convenient.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sigher posted:

That's not a bad idea for a skin. It's gonna be free, everyone's rightfully skeptical of multiplayer games in VR and there's not like a ton of stuff to do anyway (it's pretty much just what it says on the tin, you're a gorilla playing tag). I figure if it gets any traction I can try to figure it out from there. I'm not extremely art-competent but I think alien skins would be pretty dope

Zaphod42 posted:

Am I crazy or are the player models the magician summoned elementals from Everquest? :allears: I looove it

Lol, they aren't exactly, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about them the entire time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

That's not a bad idea for a skin. It's gonna be free, everyone's rightfully skeptical of multiplayer games in VR and there's not like a ton of stuff to do anyway (it's pretty much just what it says on the tin, you're a gorilla playing tag). I figure if it gets any traction I can try to figure it out from there. I'm not extremely art-competent but I think alien skins would be pretty dope

Lol, they aren't exactly, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about them the entire time.

Nice.

Dude, can you put like bananas and coconuts in the trees and then you can climb to pick them and throw them at each other? Donkey Kong Deathmatch.

Add in some monkey AIs and it'd be passable as a single player game too!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Nice.

Dude, can you put like bananas and coconuts in the trees and then you can climb to pick them and throw them at each other? Donkey Kong Deathmatch.

Add in some monkey AIs and it'd be passable as a single player game too!

There's so much potential for stuff to add and do, but so far I've been trying to keep the focus as narrow as possible because of how slow I am at building everything. I've been working on this for straight up a year at this point, so I think there's lots of things that would be awesome to add just limited by my own time/energy. That's part of why I want to put it out in this relatively early state, I think it's fun enough as it is and maybe if I can figure out better what people connect with then I can figure out what things would be most valuable to work on next

I really do like throwing stuff so I'd love to add something like that

Edit: oh yeah I'm also planning on putting out the locomotion portion as open source, once I figure out the best way to do that. I figure like a github repo or something with a permissive license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Allow the players to customize their skins
(it's going to be a lot of drawn dicks)