Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Often Abbreviated posted:

it's what this whole argument is about. read the thread. I say ideology and symbolism are the primary drivers of human activity, informed by (amongst other things) material factors. the thread (THS and joepinetree et al) have been absolutely insistent on material circumstances being everything. it is Marxism 101, apparently.

explain the transition to agriculture within this framework. did, all of the sudden, a human just invent the idea of farming and then argued for it till they convinced everyone and then people decided to start farming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

I suppose the good news is that we can all stop being communists now. the fact that there hasn't been a communist revolution proves that there is no need for one, as people would naturally follow their material self interest if one were required. truly we live in the best of all possible worlds

yes communism, the obvious foil to materialism.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

alright, now I'm arguing against a second line of posters who weren't part of and didn't follow the original argument but are 100% certain that whatever it was about I was wrong

that's enough for now.

sorry dude I’ve been busy with work. just now catching up.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

alright, now I'm arguing against a second line of posters who weren't part of and didn't follow the original argument but are 100% certain that whatever it was about I was wrong

that's enough for now.

it's a pretty safe assumption, you're a huge dumbass. try reading a book instead of questioning their existence maybe

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

read the thread.
So you're definitely a libertarian.

Ytlaya posted:

Listening to the part of the recent Chapo episode where they mentioned Anderson Cooper being an elitist piece of poo poo reminded me of one of the stranger liberal tendencies - normie liberals who aren't remotely well-off but are still elitist. So many working class liberals who also consume normie media and eat at normie restaurants, yet are still super elitist about stuff like Olive Garden or a certain subset of reality TV shows. It's like some sort of bizarre aspirational elitism. Like the liberal version of poor chuds who admire Trump.
That's exactly what it is. You absorb these attitudes from the people whose job you want someday.

In one of the first classes I took after transferring from community college to a public university, the professor rambled about how she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart because she doesn't want to be around the people who shop at Wal-Mart. In another class in the same department, we watched a documentary about how people who eat Wonder Bread are rabid Morlocks and the reason we can't have nice things.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you, croaking from the mud: "people can only judge ideas by their material circumstance. the commons have been enclosed and the wilderness created so no one can survive without participating in employment, so we conceive of the virtue of 'professionalism,' calmly participating in the smooth robbery of our own futures."

me, floating in beatific light: "capitalists only own stuff because you think they do"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
OA seems to be operating on the misconception that having thoughts or thinking at all disproves materialism. Which is weird because thoughts are themselves part of biological processes that occur in material reality.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what does this have to do with podcasts

It's a sample of the discourse on every left-adjacent current event podcast for the next eleven trillion years or so.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking as neither a Marxist nor a materialist:

[EURYDICE]
Orpheus, my heart is yours
Always was, and will be
It's my gut I can’t ignore
Orpheus, I'm hungry

Oh, my heart it aches to stay
But the flesh will have its way
Oh, the way is dark and long
I'm already gone

I’m gone

[FATES]
Go ahead and lay the blame
Talk of virtue
Talk of sin

Wouldn't you have done the same
In her shoes
In her skin?

You can have your principles when you've got a belly full
But hunger has a way with you
There's no telling what you're gonna do when the chips are down
Now that the chips are down
What you gonna do when the chips are down?
Now that the chips are down

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

life ain't easy, life ain't fair
girl's got to fight for her rightful share
whatcha gonna do when the chips are down?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
can't believe matt attacked me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR_2edKW46o&t=3547s

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

that's enough for now.

i didnt read the post you made at the start of this argument and all of your posts since then have just been variations of this could u just say what your actual opinion is please

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

idk who can listen to this poo poo for an hour

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gay_crimes posted:

worm-brained "leftists4biden"

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

gay_crimes posted:

Yeah I like chapo and all but Christmans vlogs are unwatchable

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gay_crimes posted:

its good

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

christman voted for hillary clinton in 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

matt pods are great

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gay_crimes posted:

helps if you're playing video games

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

he right though :fedora::fh:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gay_crimes posted:

how about for half an hour :hehe:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiberion02 posted:

if you’re a moronic liberal too self centered to accept the egg on your face.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

tiberion02 posted:

nah you're just a DSAer, hawley is a problem

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

how about for half an hour :hehe:

:magical:

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What Christman needs is a sidekick to fill dead air. Perhaps an obese greek man singing about having sex with his father or something Idk

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Populon posted:

What Christman needs is a sidekick to fill dead air. Perhaps an obese greek man singing about having sex with his father or something Idk

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

I've got a data entry job with 40 hours of dead air a week to fill, its either this or I blow my brains out from the tedium of the job

Taintrunner posted:

"there is no hope in either of these parties my friends"
-Matt Christman, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Populon posted:

my dream podcast

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I've got a data entry job with 40 hours of dead air a week to fill, its either this or I blow my brains out from the tedium of the job

there has to be a middle ground between listening to tilted thesaurus man talk to himself for an hour and suicide

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

there has to be a middle ground between listening to tilted thesaurus man talk to himself for an hour and suicide

some eps are better than others, he was losing some steam before the poo poo in the capital went down

Fall of Civilizations just released a new episode on the Inca though so thats gonna take up a good chunk of tomorrow

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnEdgelord posted:

"there is no hope in either of these parties my friends"
-Matt Christman, 2021

and he should know, campaigning to get AOC and other Dems elected. maybe just own the fact that you fell for the conventionally attractive Kennedy intern pretending to fight for mild social democratic reforms, as we all did, and start loving agitating, which is what the #FTV initiative they shrugged off was all about.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

taintrunner voted for joe biden

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

taintrunner voted for joe biden

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

The chapos at least just shut the gently caress up and didn't poo poo on ftv too bad like the majority report types who were actively fighting against it. gently caress em all for not fighting tho, definitely

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
glad i read the thread with 1.2x speed (scrolling past all of Often Abbreviated posts)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

and he should know, campaigning to get AOC and other Dems elected. maybe just own the fact that you fell for the conventionally attractive Kennedy intern pretending to fight for mild social democratic reforms, as we all did, and start loving agitating, which is what the #FTV initiative they shrugged off was all about.

your alliances shift pretty often, you seemed appreciative of briahna pushing FTV but she is an even bigger electoral cuck. maybe you have a sort of warped approach with engaging with stuff??

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS posted:

your alliances shift pretty often, you seemed appreciative of briahna pushing FTV but she is an even bigger electoral cuck. maybe you have a sort of warped approach with engaging with stuff??

I am allied with anyone who furthers the cause of delegitimizing this twisted prism of misery we pretend to call a State and agitates for a better world for the working class.

the taint never stops running, ever. shame upon those who chose to simply give up.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

give me $2000 taintrunner

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

THS posted:

i mean he voted for joe biden lol. what do you expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS posted:

give me $2000 taintrunner

I gave $2000 to slouch and he doesn’t even post here anymore.