Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

has anyone tried the xbox app on a m1 to see if remote play streaming works?

well now I need to know this too. Could the M1 MacBook air be the best way to play gamecube games and Halo fanless? would be amazing if true :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to figure out how to open it in the App Store and once I manage that ill try it out

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess if you follow these steps it works but I don't have a iPhone so I can't

If you have a late-2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro with a M1 Apple Silicon processor, you can run any iPhone/iPad app you want. Game streaming works flawlessly on my MacBook Air! Fullscreen is available by the way, does not have to run windowed.
Follow these steps:
Download the Xbox.app ".ipa" file by using Apple Authenticator 2, see here: https://medium.com/xcnotes/how-to-download-ipa-from-app-store-43e04b3d0332
Follow these additional steps here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...2#post-29273562
Enjoy streaming your Xbox games to your MacBook! Works flawlessly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've gotten iTunes working in a Win 10 VM with Parallels (thinking about taking the plunge from Mojave to Big Sur, for a few reasons) and coherence mode works great. It'd just be for managing audiobooks every couple of weeks anyway.

Since this seems to work pretty well, does anyone have any experience using iTunes in Docker?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

What's the advantage over just running the native version of iTunes :confused:

In my experience getting Docker applications to reliably show a graphical window is a giant pain in the rear end.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

has anyone tried the xbox app on a m1 to see if remote play streaming works?

looks like installing the app on mac os is disallowed, sorry :(

Microsoft appears to have just blanket blocked *all* of their iOS apps on macs

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

What's the advantage over just running the native version of iTunes :confused:

In my experience getting Docker applications to reliably show a graphical window is a giant pain in the rear end.

iTunes is gone past Mojave, isn't it?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clark Nova posted:

looks like installing the app on mac os is disallowed, sorry :(

Microsoft appears to have just blanket blocked *all* of their iOS apps on macs

That's a bummer. Wonder why

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’ve noticed a lot of devs have just opted out of allowing iOS apps on MacOS. I went through my apps on my phone and it was pretty thin pickings for the Mac

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FCKGW posted:

Do you know the IP? I’m pretty sure the OS still has least generic drivers so you can just manually add it via IP. I had to do something similar to my Dell MFP when they dropped 32-but support.

Just tried adding it via IP and it didn't work :( I tried choosing both printer-specific drivers and generic ones -- in both cases it would try to send the job to the printer and after a few seconds say "printer is not responding." For what it's worth, I'm confident that I have the right IP because the printer will spit out a network config page on demand.

Well, at least printers aren't all that expensive these days...

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

iTunes is gone past Mojave, isn't it?

No, it was only renamed to "Music" but is still there along with all of its warts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think there was also a hacky way to install/use iTunes.app beyond Mojave but I don't know if it still works in Big Sur

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Last Chance posted:

I think there was also a hacky way to install/use iTunes.app beyond Mojave but I don't know if it still works in Big Sur

I used retroactive under catalina to get Aperture working, and it still seems to work in Big Sur (I haven't really checked in depth or anything, though). May as well give it a try, I can't really imagine that retroactive itself would work on catalina and not big sur.

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I hope this is the right place to ask for help, as I'm clueless when it comes to macOS:

We have an old printer (Canon MP495) whose OS compatibility list says:

My wife is using a newish Macbook Air running 10.15.something. Sure enough, she's not able to see the printer on the network any longer. It worked fine when she had an old Macbook and it's still working for my Win10 machine (despite the OS list above not including Win10).

Are we just out of luck and need to get a new printer so that the MBA can see it, or is there some network hack which can be used to get around the incompatibility?

Thanks!

Seeing this just got me to actually install my MP560. I had to go to cannon's site and download the driver package (I think I had to pick 10.10 as the OS version in their dropdown to get it to show up), as OS X refused to just download the driver package like it did on older versions. Apparently new printers being "driverless" means "gently caress you if you have something old." Anyway after installing the driver package (and the IJN network utility, although I'm not really sure if that's necessary, I just did it first and then went and tried the drivers) the printer showed up. I haven't managed to get image capture to see the scanner part, but I also don't really remember if you can do that wirelessly or if that has to be via USB.

The drivers will install just fine, that's just a pkg. I don't know about all the other canon easyprint stuff or whatever, I didn't bother trying to install that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hey, something just came up, I remember seeing it before and it causing an issue but I don't remember what. The keychain icon thing has popped up a few times on the top bar, if I click on it it goes away. not sure what this is. there is a pending upgrade to big sur that I haven't done yet, is that at all related?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zenostein posted:

I used retroactive under catalina to get Aperture working, and it still seems to work in Big Sur (I haven't really checked in depth or anything, though). May as well give it a try, I can't really imagine that retroactive itself would work on catalina and not big sur.

Seeing this just got me to actually install my MP560. I had to go to cannon's site and download the driver package (I think I had to pick 10.10 as the OS version in their dropdown to get it to show up), as OS X refused to just download the driver package like it did on older versions. Apparently new printers being "driverless" means "gently caress you if you have something old." Anyway after installing the driver package (and the IJN network utility, although I'm not really sure if that's necessary, I just did it first and then went and tried the drivers) the printer showed up. I haven't managed to get image capture to see the scanner part, but I also don't really remember if you can do that wirelessly or if that has to be via USB.

The drivers will install just fine, that's just a pkg. I don't know about all the other canon easyprint stuff or whatever, I didn't bother trying to install that.

OEM scanner software seems to be rear end most of the time, I've been using VueScan since forever. It just works. I currently use it on a network Brother scanner/copier/laser printer and it works great. I used to use it for the old cheap-rear end flat bed Canon WinScanner for a while too. You can enter your model number on their site and it will tell if the scanner if fully/partly/not supported. It can handle an insane number of scanners. Gets updated fairly often as well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zenostein posted:

No dice, sadly. Tried it with the most recent available drivers from Canon, as well as Apple's "bundle" of Canon inkjet drivers (on top of the generics I mentioned in my last post) and the computer just can't see the printer.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Trabant posted:

No dice, sadly. Tried it with the most recent available drivers from Canon, as well as Apple's "bundle" of Canon inkjet drivers (on top of the generics I mentioned in my last post) and the computer just can't see the printer.

Did you try installing the IJ Network tool as well? It's for setting the network settings on the printer, which seems useless, but it makes you connect the printer via USB first. I'm reasonably certain that it was only after doing so (and turning the printer's network interface off/on in the settings, since the drat thing likes to lose its network connection every few days of disuse) that I could see the printer on this computer. I think I tried adding the printer a month ago, saw that it wouldn't show up in the printer selector on this computer, and gave up. So if you haven't already tried that, it might be worth a shot.

Proteus Jones posted:

OEM scanner software seems to be rear end most of the time, I've been using VueScan since forever. It just works. I currently use it on a network Brother scanner/copier/laser printer and it works great. I used to use it for the old cheap-rear end flat bed Canon WinScanner for a while too. You can enter your model number on their site and it will tell if the scanner if fully/partly/not supported. It can handle an insane number of scanners. Gets updated fairly often as well.

Sure, but Image Capture works just fine, and has done since the dawn of timewhenever it was added to OS X. I guess it just doesn't use regular-rear end TWAIN drivers or something, because I got it working. There was an "optional" driver listed as "ICA Driver," which was the actual scanner driver to make OS X realize that the printer is also a scanner. Now it works just fine, even wirelessly.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 13, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dicty Bojangles posted:

No, it was only renamed to "Music" but is still there along with all of its warts.

Oh I see, yeah I want the library features for books/audiobooks as well. I’m fine using music.app for music, just don’t want Books to totally nuke the structure iTunes built.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Are there any tips to making the Apple mail client better? I've been using Airmail for the past 8 or 9 years and after the last update I get the "upgrade to pro" window that pops up every time I leave the app and go back. Needless to say, gently caress them. I paid money for their app and it's bullshit that I can't use it interruption free without paying again.

The main thing that bothers me with Apple mail is anytime I send an email my inbox column shrinks and doesn't resize after I've sent the email. Also does mail by default embed attachments in the email? Or does it just appear that way in my view? If it's the latter that's fine although still kind of obnoxious.

If there are any decent free alternatives that look and work similar to Outlook that's what I really want.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've noticed with the apple mail client that the junk mail filtering just doesn't work at all (I'm using it with my gmail account). Is that a known issue? Honestly if I could just turn off the "unread" count for junk I'd be fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, never ever try to attach something from your onedrive. There’s about a 75% chance you’ll get a spinning beach ball and need to force quit. I’ve had this problem for years across multiple MacBooks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

actionjackson posted:

I've noticed with the apple mail client that the junk mail filtering just doesn't work at all (I'm using it with my gmail account). Is that a known issue? Honestly if I could just turn off the "unread" count for junk I'd be fine.

It works for me, but maybe it's because I have SpamAssassin on my mail server flagging things.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zenostein posted:

Did you try installing the IJ Network tool as well? It's for setting the network settings on the printer, which seems useless, but it makes you connect the printer via USB first. I'm reasonably certain that it was only after doing so (and turning the printer's network interface off/on in the settings, since the drat thing likes to lose its network connection every few days of disuse) that I could see the printer on this computer. I think I tried adding the printer a month ago, saw that it wouldn't show up in the printer selector on this computer, and gave up. So if you haven't already tried that, it might be worth a shot.

That worked -- thank you :) Couldn't get the scanner part to work for some reason, but the printing is working without a hitch and that was the important part anyway. I really appreciate the help!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

hey, something just came up, I remember seeing it before and it causing an issue but I don't remember what. The keychain icon thing has popped up a few times on the top bar, if I click on it it goes away. not sure what this is. there is a pending upgrade to big sur that I haven't done yet, is that at all related?

Your pending upgrade really should not be related, but I don’t know why it’d pop in and out of the menu bar like that. You’re not getting warned about anything with the keychain on login, are you? There’s this if that is the case: https://support.apple.com/en-gu/guide/keychain-access/kyca1242/11.0/mac/11.0

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Trabant posted:

That worked -- thank you :) Couldn't get the scanner part to work for some reason, but the printing is working without a hitch and that was the important part anyway. I really appreciate the help!

Well, if you've looked for an optional driver — mine was called ICA Driver — and already installed that, the last thing to check is that you've got the printer installed via Bonjour. The Cannon IJ Network connection is supposedly better (based on what little I could find in google), in that it has a bit more functionality, but it seems to be just for printing, whereas the Bonjour one correctly understands that it's not just a printer. I just went ahead and added the printer repeatedly and added the connection type, so I have MP560(Bonjour), MP560(USB), MP560(IJN) and set the IJN one as default. And now the scanner shows up just fine in image capture. There's also a little scanner icon in the print queue for the bonjour and usb ones you can click to open some sort of scanner interface.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Your pending upgrade really should not be related, but I don’t know why it’d pop in and out of the menu bar like that. You’re not getting warned about anything with the keychain on login, are you? There’s this if that is the case: https://support.apple.com/en-gu/guide/keychain-access/kyca1242/11.0/mac/11.0

thanks, nope no warnings. I vaguely remember when this happened before having to fix something relating to keychain access (like a new keychain or something?)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zenostein posted:

Well, if you've looked for an optional driver — mine was called ICA Driver — and already installed that, the last thing to check is that you've got the printer installed via Bonjour. The Cannon IJ Network connection is supposedly better (based on what little I could find in google), in that it has a bit more functionality, but it seems to be just for printing, whereas the Bonjour one correctly understands that it's not just a printer. I just went ahead and added the printer repeatedly and added the connection type, so I have MP560(Bonjour), MP560(USB), MP560(IJN) and set the IJN one as default. And now the scanner shows up just fine in image capture. There's also a little scanner icon in the print queue for the bonjour and usb ones you can click to open some sort of scanner interface.

Hmm. I did briefly get the "Bonjour" type show up once briefly, but I have no idea how I made that happen.

OK, I'll steal the lady's laptop and try again!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks, nope no warnings. I vaguely remember when this happened before having to fix something relating to keychain access (like a new keychain or something?)

Yeah, that’s the nuclear option. If you’re not already, I’ll plug using iCloud Keychain because this way if your local Keychain gets hosed, most of your logins are saved and synced across devices. Here’s some info if you’re curious: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

This walks you through resetting your local Keychain, which might be worth bookmarking: https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/if-you-need-to-update-your-keychain-password-kyca2429/10.5/mac/10.14

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ve got a fairly new (2020) Intel MBP and occasionally open applications will just die really ugly deaths, disappearing suddenly with no warning and no dialog box appearing afterwards. So far I haven’t had the wherewithal to open Console and find out anything else in the moments it happens.

It’s been three times in about a month. Three different applications; once each. Photoshop, Safari, and a GIS application.

Seems very odd to me that there’s no dialog box popping up after the crashes. Is this a sign of impending doom?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, that’s the nuclear option. If you’re not already, I’ll plug using iCloud Keychain because this way if your local Keychain gets hosed, most of your logins are saved and synced across devices. Here’s some info if you’re curious: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

This walks you through resetting your local Keychain, which might be worth bookmarking: https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/if-you-need-to-update-your-keychain-password-kyca2429/10.5/mac/10.14

thanks. I finally did the Big Sur upgrade and it's quite different! I definitely like the darker look

edit: ok I didn't realize this was actually 11.0 that explains things!

btw does anyone have a preference between the built in night shift and f.lux? I've been using f.lux forever. If they are both active does one override the other?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 14, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well another thing that doesn't work in Messages anymore in Big Sur: I can't drag and drop photos into conversations anymore. What the gently caress, Apple. They thoroughly poo poo the bed on this. Any beta testers out there who have good news about Messages getting better?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well another thing that doesn't work in Messages anymore in Big Sur: I can't drag and drop photos into conversations anymore. What the gently caress, Apple. They thoroughly poo poo the bed on this. Any beta testers out there who have good news about Messages getting better?
This is working for me but I’ve got a bunch of other weird minor issues that other people apparently don’t have so :shrug:. Going to clean reinstall on the weekend, I’ll let you know if it’s broken after the reinstall :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Them removing the shift+up highlight thing ONLY in iMessage is killin' me lately.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My largest complaint about Messenger on MacOS is the fact that it's synching is completely broken. Yesterday I was doing some texting around 1pm on my phone about some errands and later at home I had been on my MBP for a couple hours and suddenly those aforementioned messages updated suddenly around 9pm. Note that it updates random messages at random times.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm testing Big Slur 11.2 beta 2 and I haven't had any issues either copying/pasting jpgs into Messages or dragging them from a folder..

Think they still are working on Bluetooth issues as my formerly rock solid Anker Soundcore and Tribit SoundGo keep dropping off after 30 minutes idle.. they were totally ok in Mojave. Sigh.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is probably a dumb question, but I can't just sync my messages app on my iphone with messages on my mac right? like how with signal I can use it both on my phone and my computer and it's all synced, which is really nice as I much prefer to type on a keyboard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can. You might need to flip an extra switch for green texts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Settings -> Messages -> Text message forwarding on iPhone

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The biggest m1 bugs so far for me besides bluetooth is my computer crashes and reboot, its happened like 4 times, seems to only happen when running x86 docker images. Also I have to reseat my usb-c monitor cable every time my computer reboots while connected to my monitor, the image works but usb connectivity doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Settings -> Messages -> Text message forwarding on iPhone

is this on the iphone or on my mac?

on the i phone i went under settings - messages and checked "iMessage" but I don't see the option you listed. It then said "waiting for activation"

I then went to iMessage on my mac and selected "enable messages in iCloud" and then hit sync. However it didn't bring up my messages in iMessage, the window is just blank.

edit: I went into my icloud settings on my phone and selected "messages" under iCloud for syncing.

then i went back to imessage, hit sync again, and on my iphone it said syncing to icloud under messages. but still nothing in iMessage.

edit2: looked at some other help guides, on my iphone under forwarding, I was able to select my Mac, and a screen popped up on my Mac to confirm. Are my old messages supposed to show up though?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 14, 2021