Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Have the activity tracking / GPS issues with the latest version of WatchOS been resolved? I’m on an older version (5 I think) and it’s forcing me to upgrade. If I go into the app on my phone it immediately goes to the upgrade screen and if I try to back out it tells me it will factory reset and unpair my watch.

All the issues with activity tracking were why I didn’t upgrade to 6/7 to begin with but I’d those are resolved I’ll go ahead and update it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LordOfThePants posted:

Have the activity tracking / GPS issues with the latest version of WatchOS been resolved? I’m on an older version (5 I think) and it’s forcing me to upgrade. If I go into the app on my phone it immediately goes to the upgrade screen and if I try to back out it tells me it will factory reset and unpair my watch.

All the issues with activity tracking were why I didn’t upgrade to 6/7 to begin with but I’d those are resolved I’ll go ahead and update it

If it’s the issue from a few months ago where GPS didn’t record then yeah it’s been fixed for a few months now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh lord the haptic taps from my alarm have started inhabiting my dream world. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a 170mm or so wrist, what size watch are people with a similar sized wrist going with? I went to look at them at Best Buy but it's hard to gauge without actually trying it on.

Also, what would be a good leather band to go with? The ones that it's available with aren't as dark brown as I'd like to go with my shoes/belt that I regularly wear to work.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh lord the haptic taps from my alarm have started inhabiting my dream world. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to that.

That’s been happening to me for a while and I hate it. I’ll be doing whatever in my dream and all of a sudden my watch in the dream will start vibrating/tapping me and dream-me gets annoyed at my inability to make it stop until I wake up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep it was exactly that. I think in the end I had multiple watches, and I was confused and annoyed.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is anyone’s time in bed showing as less than their time asleep? Mine is by about 45 mins. Doing some searching this seems to be a bug bug Apple hasn’t acknowledged it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don’t know how y’all wear a watch to bed. It’s as uncomfortable as wearing socks IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It bugged me at first but the thump to wake up is so nice and now it's a permanent part of my life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Red_Fred posted:

Is anyone’s time in bed showing as less than their time asleep? Mine is by about 45 mins. Doing some searching this seems to be a bug bug Apple hasn’t acknowledged it.

I use pillow which I presume uses the same data and it’s never been particularly accurate about when I get up. Hoping that quality and ‘type’ are more accurate.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don’t know how y’all wear a watch to bed. It’s as uncomfortable as wearing socks IMO.
It bugged me a little at the start but I got used to it before too long.

xzzy posted:

It bugged me at first but the thump to wake up is so nice and now it's a permanent part of my life.
It barely wakes me up. :( Apparently it stops buzzing after long enough if you just don’t even notice it... or, barring that, it apparently takes me very little consciousness to just hit the stop button and fall back asleep. But when it works it’s awesome.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Even with native sleep tracking since the last update, I still use AutoSleep because it calculates the times much better than Apple's own functionality and it also recognises daytime naps.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Hey watch thread! I just started using an iPhone last year and I love it. Now I’m thinking about getting an Apple Watch since I want a fitness tracker and my carrier has some appealing offers for a watch. I also use Apple Pay a lot, so it’d be convenient for me not to have to get my phone out all the time. However, I work in a job where I have to wash my hands very frequently. I know these things are supposed to be waterproof and I could probably get a case for it, but how big of a problem would it be?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

im on the net me boys posted:

Hey watch thread! I just started using an iPhone last year and I love it. Now I’m thinking about getting an Apple Watch since I want a fitness tracker and my carrier has some appealing offers for a watch. I also use Apple Pay a lot, so it’d be convenient for me not to have to get my phone out all the time. However, I work in a job where I have to wash my hands very frequently. I know these things are supposed to be waterproof and I could probably get a case for it, but how big of a problem would it be?

Apple Watch is completely waterproof and you def do not need to worry about it getting water damage from washing your hands. Hell, you can go swimming in a pool no problem, just Don’t take it into a salt water ocean and you are good.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I just took a shower with mine on, hope this helps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fourwood posted:

I just took a shower with mine on, hope this helps.

I cleaned my turtle tank with mine on today too

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple Watch is completely waterproof and you def do not need to worry about it getting water damage from washing your hands. Hell, you can go swimming in a pool no problem, just Don’t take it into a salt water ocean and you are good.

Apple recommend using the watch for surfing & ocean swimming - are there known issues with taking into salt water that they’re ignoring?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I didn’t realize you could actually go swimming with one of these! Well, I think I might get one.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I asked both of my siblings in law who have smart watches (one Samsung, one Apple) and they both enjoy having a smart watch, so I’ve warmed up to the idea even more. Naturally I’d get AppleCare for it, but do I need a case or screen protector? Also, I’d probably get a series 6 through my carrier for just under $30/mo including service, but is there an immediately better deal to be found right now?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I asked both of my siblings in law who have smart watches (one Samsung, one Apple) and they both enjoy having a smart watch, so I’ve warmed up to the idea even more. Naturally I’d get AppleCare for it, but do I need a case or screen protector? Also, I’d probably get a series 6 through my carrier for just under $30/mo including service, but is there an immediately better deal to be found right now?

Walmart and Amazon have both the 40mm Space Gray and Product Red Series 6 for $339 right now
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Watch-Series-6-GPS-40mm-Space-Gray-Aluminum-Case-with-Black-Sport-Band-Regular/896460500
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Watch-Series-6-GPS-40mm-PRODUCT-RED-Aluminum-Case-with-PRODUCT-RED-Sport-Band-Regular/478251261
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J5QC43Q/

If you're looking for 44mm or another color nothing jumps out but they've been randomly on sale pretty much every other week.

edit: Forgot you wanted cellular, those don't go on sale very frequently for current models. You can still get Series 5 for $350 or so though.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 21, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I've taken mine into the ocean even before they were officially waterproof and had no issues at all. Anecdote, I realize.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoeFly posted:

Apple recommend using the watch for surfing & ocean swimming - are there known issues with taking into salt water that they’re ignoring?
I'm guessing just that salt water can be corrosive and gently caress poo poo up eventually, but realistically in normal use it's fine, just wash it off afterwards.

Unless you know there's a decent chance of jacking it up in normal use (rock climbing has been my issue) you don't really need to worry about the screen/case. Unless you're anal about possible minor scuffs I guess, but again depends on your use whether that'll even be a problem.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I didn’t realize you could actually go swimming with one of these! Well, I think I might get one.
I've never done it so I can't confirm, but supposedly if you're tracking a swimming workout on the watch while swimming laps, it'll automatically detect which stroke you're doing. So like, yeah, they've put lots of development time into things that are only applicable when submerged, so it's gotta be fine.

Although last I heard water damage still isn't covered by warranty or anything.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I surf with my watch all the time, no issues. Just need to soak it in warm water after and press the buttons to ensure no salt builds up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I also use Apple Pay a lot, so it’d be convenient for me not to have to get my phone out all the time.

Love Apple Pay on the watch, especially now it’s been slowed down on the phone due to masks with Face ID.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love Apple Pay on the watch, especially now it’s been slowed down on the phone due to masks with Face ID.

Terminals just need to just go auto to tap . I feel like an rear end when I put my watch up and the cashier looks at me and then presses the button to allow tap .

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

sonatinas posted:

Terminals just need to just go auto to tap . I feel like an rear end when I put my watch up and the cashier looks at me and then presses the button to allow tap .

I agree. I used to work retail and I would go as fast as possible to hit that button to do cards and Apple Pay if you didn’t say you were using cash

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only beef with the watch is its inability to consistently decide if I'm standing or not, making filling that dumb blue ring a pain in the rear end.

One would like to think that contactless payments would become super popular as the plague plays out but the reality is no vendors want to cough up the money to do a global implementation. It's great in places that have it though, I still run into cashiers who are all WOAH ITS THE FUTURE when I do it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sonatinas posted:

Huh I’ve never had that, all the ones here I just put my wrist to and it auto kicks in after a second or so (main places Walgreens, Publix).

Watch as this happens to me tomorrow and I feel like an idiot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nah Walgreens and Publix are already auto. At Walgreens, just look for the first blue light at the top of the terminal to be lit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

My only beef with the watch is its inability to consistently decide if I'm standing or not, making filling that dumb blue ring a pain in the rear end.

One would like to think that contactless payments would become super popular as the plague plays out but the reality is no vendors want to cough up the money to do a global implementation. It's great in places that have it though, I still run into cashiers who are all WOAH ITS THE FUTURE when I do it.

It’s a horribly-named ring. It’s not really “standing,” it’s more like “stand up and walk around for a minute or two.” It wasn’t exactly designed for some code monkey to stand up from his desk for 2 seconds and sit right back down. It’s supposed to encourage people to move around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It’s a horribly-named ring. It’s not really “standing,” it’s more like “stand up and walk around for a minute or two.” It wasn’t exactly designed for some code monkey to stand up from his desk for 2 seconds and sit right back down. It’s supposed to encourage people to move around.

I got that, it's still bad about it because there's no hint how much walking it wants. Sometimes it registers after five steps and sometimes I'm pacing the house for five minutes.

The step tracker is just not good enough.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nah Walgreens and Publix are already auto. At Walgreens, just look for the first blue light at the top of the terminal to be lit.

Yeah I usually look for a light like that as it sometimes fills a bar etc. Kinda learn where the sweet spot is after a while too as they’re not necessarily that big.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I've taken mine into the ocean even before they were officially waterproof and had no issues at all. Anecdote, I realize.

Yeah, I was more trying to be official , last I check i thought ? They didn’t recommend salt water officially.

I’ve gone into the Atlantic Ocean with both the original Apple Watch and the series 3, with no issues on either. So I think it’s fine. I just didn’t want to be that aggressive with an online recommendation as a random person.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's still not accurate. Mine says I've "stood" for 11 hours today. I have not. It also says I've exercised for 10 minutes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I was more trying to be official , last I check i thought ? They didn’t recommend salt water officially.

Salt water is officially fine

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

quote:

Can I go swimming or take a shower with my Apple Watch?
Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) are splash and water resistant, but submerging Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) isn't recommended.
Apple Watch Series 2 and newer may be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 and newer shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I tried a case for my watch but it caused my watch to not recognize touches at the top of the screen. Instead, I got this stuff called Liquipel. It is awesome.

I have long gangly arms that have a tendency to hit things as I move around. My watch has hit into doors, cabinets, classroom desks, etc. No scratches at all.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/liquipel-liquid-screen-protector-for-glass-screen-smartwatches-transparent/6382334.p?skuId=6382334

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I got that, it's still bad about it because there's no hint how much walking it wants. Sometimes it registers after five steps and sometimes I'm pacing the house for five minutes.

The step tracker is just not good enough.

Last night I'm 1 stand from closing all 3 rings and walking around shaking my hands like a dumbass because it did not want to register.

Move and stand should be combined. Apple Watches warn about loud noises now so maybe we could get a primal scream option for the third ring. The louder the scream, the faster you close your ring.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Get a case and then post pictures of it so we can laugh at you. (Don’t get a case.)

There have been times when I got up from my desk and walked over to the kitchen to pour out a cup of coffee and walk back to my desk and the thing didn’t think I stood up. It’s terrible.

Make your life more enjoyable by changing the stand requirement to 8-10 hours instead of 12. I know it’s made me stress less about it even though I still end up with 11-12 most days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It isn’t counting every time you stand up and move around, it wants you to stand up about once per hour. Timing comes in somewhere.