Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mega64 posted:

Can't wait to see Bowser's dick clip through his shell.

you can't hide behind irony on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there have been 7 3D Mario games released to date
In 4 of them, you fight Bowser 3 times
In 1 of them, you fight Bowser 3 times and then Dry Bowser 3 times in the post-game
In 1 of them, you fight Bowser 2 times and then the third time is optional
And the odd one out is Sunshine where you fight Bowser only once but you fight Bowser's son like a dozen times

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

What even is there on Nintendo’s release schedule after 3DW? Like, they have to have another Direct soon or people will think they’re just done making games

...:ohdear:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Augus posted:

there have been 7 3D Mario games released to date
In 4 of them, you fight Bowser 3 times
In 1 of them, you fight Bowser 3 times and then Dry Bowser 3 times in the post-game
In 1 of them, you fight Bowser 2 times and then the third time is optional
And the odd one out is Sunshine where you fight Bowser only once but you fight Bowser's son like a dozen times

And yet, far and away the best one is the one where you can play as Bowser, however briefly. Coincidence? ?? ?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Maroon Hawk posted:

What even is there on Nintendo’s release schedule after 3DW? Like, they have to have another Direct soon or people will think they’re just done making games

Still hoping for a late-Jan direct with a bit more about BowFu plus a bunch of new exciting stuff :unsmith:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I feel like I have Stockholm Syndrome with Mario Sunshine. This is easily one of the worst 3D Mario games, and yet I cannot stop playing it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm nearing the end of Paradise Killer and, before I move on to the actual trial portion, I have a question for anyone who has beaten the game. No story spoilers please (still haven't decided on a culprit), but feel free to spoil any mechanics!

Is there a form of NG+, or should I be sure to make a save before doing the trial? Like, for example, say I spent all this time grabbing collectibles, then go to trial. Oops, I picked the wrong culprit (or just want to see the results of accusing everyone)! Does the game:
a) reload to my last save before the trial,
b) unlock a NG+ mode, or
c) spit me back to the beginning of the game, with no currency, skins, etc.?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Still hoping for a late-Jan direct with a bit more about BowFu plus a bunch of new exciting stuff :unsmith:

It will end with a five-second shot of the back of Link’s head and a BOTW2 release date of “Holiday”. No year, just Holiday

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think that's their strategy for the time being. Announce one game only, coming out soon. Better preorder or buy it right away because nothing else seems to be coming out.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think their strategy is to survive Covid and then release a bunch of poo poo once a viable vaccine is available and widely distributed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nintendo to announce that they're not only stopping Directs, they're stepping out of the video game business all together and returning to a full focus on hanafuda cards and motels.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Alan_Shore posted:

Please no, please not 4 pages of pictures of people's games. Bring back Hollow Knight chat or weapon durability or how stupid it is to have stamina in a 2D rpg, anything but that

How about a video?

https://i.imgur.com/UZdKiWu.mp4

(sound on)

Mr.Acula fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Nintendo to announce that they're not only stopping Directs, they're stepping out of the video game business all together and returning to a full focus on hanafuda cards and motels.

Long as they release BOTW2 first I’ll be ok.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Maroon Hawk posted:

What even is there on Nintendo’s release schedule after 3DW?
They're going to drip release every Zelda title for the series 35th anniversary end capped with BotW 2 for the holidays.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Cartoon Man posted:

Long as they release BOTW2 first I’ll be ok.

BOTW 2 will be released as an exclusive set of hanafuda cards

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

RF4 and Harvest Moon are both games I've tried, and just couldn't get into also. I really have trouble explaining why, but games that don't have a constant checklist of things to work towards just don't click with me. Part of the reason why I've stayed away from any Animal Crossing game, and maybe I just need to accept that Stardew is another game that just isn't for me. It looks nice though, and I did enjoy mining in it.

it's funny that you say this because most of the harvest moons i've played were incredibly focused on a checklist of poo poo to work towards. the psx one especially was almost too intense in how much poo poo there is to do every day vs the time available to do it in

the trick tho is the game absolutely will let you just play casually and not tell you that there are a million things to engage with because they wanted you to discover it all over multiple playthroughs. from my understanding stardew doesn't really have the same level of time pressure and is more of a "discover everything with a bunch of time put into one file" game so it may never click, but going for 100% or at least a high completion rate in HM might give it more life for you.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Where's my goddamn Donkey Kong Country Returns 3?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I just passed 125 games on switch, we gettin it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Where's my goddamn Donkey Kong Country Returns 3?

Bring back Kremlings you cowards

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
How is cross code performance on switch? I assume you don't get the full 60fps? I heard a patch helped with things a few months ago but I'm not sure if there's been additional patches since

Kind of want to give it a shot

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Can't wait to see Bowser's dick clip through his shell.

https://youtu.be/7-6CKCXntgE

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah hell it's $20 I'm sure it'll be fine. I need a new switch game anyway

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Wrestling Empire is increadible but I sure wish that the main song wasnt what it is. The rest of the music is great.

Dors anyone know how to counter? Is it just mashing?

Yeah the main song gets on my nerves fast. I'm trying to just think of it as part of the janky ambience, imagining a 2000s rap-metal band from the boonies who legitimately thinks this is the most intense wrestling realness and their career is gonna pop off along with their proprietary vape blend thanks to MDickie

Actually now that I say it out loud i kinda wish them the best

I haven't figured out how to counter, and also, how do you tag out your teammate when you're both human players? I keep having to switch my player to cpu when my wife needs to tag out (and vice versa)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is crosscode demanding? It just looks like a normal sprite based indie game that would run on anything like Hyper light drifter

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When you beat the fury thing there's almost a non zero chance you'll unlock Jr. for the normal levels

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

hatty posted:

Is crosscode demanding? It just looks like a normal sprite based indie game that would run on anything like Hyper light drifter

Never underestimate how underpowered the Switch is compared to even an old budget PC or three generation old smartphone. We've seen time and again at this point that a lot of devs who think the Switch is an easy cash port machine consistently underestimate how much work and optimization putting their product on the system requires. Part of the reason we all marvel at the work Panic Button pulls off is because they keep succeeding at putting poo poo that should be utterly impossible on the same console budget indie devs making PSX-era sprite platformers keep loving up thinking it's free real estate.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
There are definitely reports of frame drops in late game areas or busy town areas apparently, but I will probably be okay with it considering it's portable. Not to mention the game is SNES-lookin, random slowdown was iconic in that era

That said I want to say the PS4 version runs at a perfect 60?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hatty posted:

Yeah it runs pretty badly sometimes, but not enough that I wouldn't buy and play it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's not hard to make a "demanding" game that barely even has graphics—a lot of things have to happen 60 times per second and rendering is only one of them. Games that aren't particularly efficient about doing per-frame entity updates, checks, or calculations can easily chug when exposed to less-than-great hardware. If a game is developed on a decent PC and optimized just enough that it runs well there and then gets ported to the Switch which is significantly less powerful, suddenly all those little per-frame inefficiencies that didn't matter before start to compound and suddenly it all adds up to more than 1/60th of a second and you get slowdown. I've lost track of all the Switch ports that have fallen victim to this. The fact that Witcher 3 and Doom managed to get ported to the Switch more-or-less intact is wizardry of the highest order.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Bloop posted:

Fighting bowser has happened a zillion times, a zillion different ways, and it was never as bad as the giant avocado with squishy toes

In fact the only Mario game with bad boss repetition is sunshine, and that includes birdo being at the end of most of SMB2 levels

Birdo was a miniboss in SMB2 and almost always fun to fight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The thing with CrossCode is that it was 100% written in, uh, HTML5. As in, it's basically an extremely complicated website. And to pile on top of that, they couldn't just release the HTML5 version in a Google Chrome shell onto Switch because security requirements, so they had to do some weird stuff involving cross-compiling and interpreters. The end result is that it's quite a bit demanding than it looks like it should realistically be.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

dr.acula posted:

How about a video?

https://i.imgur.com/UZdKiWu.mp4

(sound on)

:hmmyes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Fighting bowser has happened a zillion times, a zillion different ways, and it was never as bad as the giant avocado with squishy toes

In fact the only Mario game with bad boss repetition is sunshine, and that includes birdo being at the end of most of SMB2 levels

Sunshine is wild. First thing you do, fight a piranha plant boss. Second thing you do, to unlock the first level, fight a piranha plant boss. Alright now you're in the first level. Time to see what this game is about. To get your first shine you... fight a piranha plant boss! Ok that's weird. What's the second shine? Ok finally a different boss, one that is also a piranha plant, but different guy.

Oh now you've got enough shines to unlock the next level, which you do by fighting a piranha plant boss.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Read After Burning posted:

I'm nearing the end of Paradise Killer and, before I move on to the actual trial portion, I have a question for anyone who has beaten the game. No story spoilers please (still haven't decided on a culprit), but feel free to spoil any mechanics!

Is there a form of NG+, or should I be sure to make a save before doing the trial? Like, for example, say I spent all this time grabbing collectibles, then go to trial. Oops, I picked the wrong culprit (or just want to see the results of accusing everyone)! Does the game:
a) reload to my last save before the trial,
b) unlock a NG+ mode, or
c) spit me back to the beginning of the game, with no currency, skins, etc.?

If all you're interested in is exploring the map and grabbing collectables, I think those are all still there after the trial. There's a segment between that and the credits where you can walk around freely. Dropping a save before then too doesn't hurt anything though.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They're going to drip release every Zelda title for the series 35th anniversary end capped with BotW 2 for the holidays.

I am 100% fine with this :hellyeah:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I’d seriously be satisfied if this was all we got this year for first party stuff.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Yeah the main song gets on my nerves fast. I'm trying to just think of it as part of the janky ambience, imagining a 2000s rap-metal band from the boonies who legitimately thinks this is the most intense wrestling realness and their career is gonna pop off along with their proprietary vape blend thanks to MDickie

Actually now that I say it out loud i kinda wish them the best

I haven't figured out how to counter, and also, how do you tag out your teammate when you're both human players? I keep having to switch my player to cpu when my wife needs to tag out (and vice versa)
Looking at the manual...I don’t see "tag" anywhere. I was wondering the same thing last night when I tagged out (and had the option set to stay as myself) and my partner neglected to try pinning or tagging out until about 10 seconds left :suicide:

I’m not sure about counters other than I think grappling button at the right time and only if physical positioning works out a certain way maybe, so essentially some random chance to whether it works or not? :iiam:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Its about time for Wind Waker HD / Twilight Princess to Switch.

Playing Age of Calamity, while good, has me itching for a new, proper Zelda game

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

multijoe posted:

Yeah, any exercise you can get right now is good exercise! Ring Fit has a tremendous amount too and if you do 1-2 levels a day you'll have months of content before you start having to do freeplay mode. I only meant to emphasise that it's not ideal for weight loss or if you like to do really bracing cardio workouts, but as a 'get your body moving and stay limber' game it is fantastic for lockdown

Red Warrior posted:

Honestly if you can't get out and about it sounds like Ring Fit Adventure would be good for you, I think you would feel better, and feel better about yourself.

You know what? You guys are right! Ordered Ring Fit online! It costs about a month's gym membership currently so the worst case scenario is like me trying a new gym for a bit and deciding not to stick with it.

Should get it within the week, whoop whoop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Artelier posted:

You know what? You guys are right! Ordered Ring Fit online! It costs about a month's gym membership currently so the worst case scenario is like me trying a new gym for a bit and deciding not to stick with it.

Should get it within the week, whoop whoop!

Stretch out. Stretch out way more than it asks you to before you start. Prepare to do squats until you hurt, and don’t be shy about cranking the intensity down. My switch kicked my rear end the first few days I used it.