Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They aint going to nerf a character after release in this type of game unless they are prepared to refund everyones pulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

RealFoxy posted:

I'm a little over level 20 now but I still don't really know what I'm doing as far as party comp goes.

So far outside of the 4 default characters I've ended up with
Barbara (x2)
Noelle (x2)
Sucrose (x3)
Xiangling (x2)
Diona
Xingqiu

idk why I keep getting so many duplicates but other than the last two that I just rolled, I've been using Traveler/Amber/Barbara/Xiangling. I'm only spending money on the $5 pass thingie so I'm not going to sit around and whale for the perfect team or anything, I just don't know enough to know what good combos I've got.

Sucrose, Xingqiu, Xiangling and Diona are all very good. If you want to cruise through most of the lower level content (before the endgame grind starts around AR40 or 45) I recommend the following. Go to the blacksmith and craft yourself a crescent pike. Put that on Xiangling. Now bring either Lisa or Xingqiu (or both), as well as Sucrose. If you happen to have a Sacrificial Sword, put that on Xingqiu. If you have Sacrificial Fragments, put that on Sucrose. Use everyone's skills and bursts and stab everyone with Xiangling. You can also bring Diona along and use her with Lisa to do the superconduct reaction for even better stabbing.

Xiangling with crescent pike is very good physical DPS. If you have Xingqiu's burst going you'll get his swords also pincushioning things when she stabs them. The swords do hydro damage which gets you vaporize reactions when paired with Xiangling's pyro damage. Lisa and Xiangling make overload reactions when paired, which make things explode and do good damage early on. Sucrose is mostly for crowd control at this point, but she also contributes a bunch of reaction damage.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 13, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ganyu's definitely strong, but I think people are making a lot of assumptions when evaluating her like it's easy to set up her optimal situation. There's not really a great Pyro enabler for her to do consistent melts, and even in a freeze comp she needs to play up close to work with Xingqiu. So she won't always be hitting melted 100% chance crits or what have you. Granted, she's pretty nuts without them anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ganyu has huge potential just by nature of being a cryo DPS who isn't Kaeya or Chongyun.
The Blizzard Strayer set gives her +40% crit against frozen targets, Cryo Resonance gives +15% more, and Ganyu's A1 passive gives another 20% crit if she's fired an arrow in the past 5 seconds.
So basically she gets 75% crit rate for free, but unlike those two cryo chumps' piddly scalings, her charge shot does a total of 484% ATK damage at talent level level 6 (scaling up to 553% at 8 and 662% at 10), and she can fire one every 2.1 seconds.

For reference, Amber's ult does 708% damage over its duration at TL6. So just spamming charge shots as Ganyu does more than an Amber ult's worth of damage every 4 seconds, even before looking at crits.

You're a chump :mad:

talkaboutmyhusbando

Also, a bit of a loose definition of "free". Only thing really free is the A1 passive which might as well not be a timed buff.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Didn't get Ganyu with pity but I got Jean and she'd be my second choice. Now I can possibly use Bennett for other teams! Even if I'd miss the attack buff on Diluc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do not like charged shot carry stuff at all, so Ganyu goes in the Klee pile of not worth the effort even for the stupidest damage possible

if you could swap while in aim mode she might improve at least for my particular tastes, otherwise at best she's a burst slave and i'm not rolling for that

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Ningguang is one of the squishiest characters in the game, yes, but she compensates for this by constantly generating shields for herself (as well as having another shield of sorts on her E). Base ATK is on the lower end for a 4* too. You know you need to animation cancel her normal attacks though, right? The easy way is to just hold down W while using her normals. The NingGang spreadsheet says to use a click-click-hold rotation too.

If you have 1100 ATK you must be running a crit headpiece and you're overinvested in crit and underinvested in ATK. Remember those guides saying not to invest in crit until you have very well rolled 5* artifacts? Unless you have crit as an ascension stat or you have really good crit substats you should probably be running ATK on your headpiece even if your weapon substat is crit.

For comparison, my Ning's the same level as yours (70/80) and with a level 80 Eye of Perception (+50% ATK substat) she has 1724 ATK. 2 glad/2 petra, crit rate on the helmet. Crit stats are fairly bad though, 41% crit rate and 85% crit damage total - I don't have great crit substats. I run a crit rate helmet because I don't have anything else suitable right now, plus I have a bunch of ATK% substats to compensate. e: album with artifacts and stats

Either way though staying on one character and just autoattacking with no reactions is not really how this game is intended to be played so you should probably not do that. Ningguang's survivability relies on shields and if you don't do reactions you don't get any crystals so she's super squishy. It's not like doing only normal attacks solo with anyone else is particularly effective either. At the very least you should run her with Fischl - crystallizes count as reactions for the purposes of proccing Fischl's A4 talent.

I know about animation cancelling. I'm using the BP book so missing 50% atk bonus is expected, so it makes sense I'm behind yours on attack, but I suppose that I should try to swap the hat off to an attack one for now then.

Also obviously you're not supposed to keep one character out for a long time. It's just that I'm trying to get used to doing stuff with Ningguang. Just wanted to make sure my defensive stats and attack are in the normal range, and wondering if it's normal to see Ning just like instantly get oneshot by those fire stealth agent dash attacks in the monster lvl 90 domains.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

gandlethorpe posted:

Ganyu's definitely strong, but I think people are making a lot of assumptions when evaluating her like it's easy to set up her optimal situation. There's not really a great Pyro enabler for her to do consistent melts, and even in a freeze comp she needs to play up close to work with Xingqiu. So she won't always be hitting melted 100% chance crits or what have you. Granted, she's pretty nuts without them anyway.

You're a chump :mad:

talkaboutmyhusbando

Also, a bit of a loose definition of "free"

I mean, even without melt she's doing insane amounts of damage. The guy who pointed out that a burst from Zhongli is doing less than charged shot isn't exaggerating.

I have her at level 51 atm and she's consistently pulling 10-12K damage in an aoe per shot. The first shot gives her the buffs to do this. The second one and every shot onwards just hands out ridiculous amounts of damage. And keep in mind each shot takes like 2-3 seconds to charge and I don't have a refined Crescent Prototype! That's an insane amount of damage if you have the stats for a crit dmg boosting build.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Oh my loving goooooooood

Got Qiqi c1 from soft pity and I was pissed

Next tenpull gave me Ganyu :hellyeah:

Didn't think I'd ever actually luck into a natural 5* drop, holy poo poo

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

this seems like the opposite of zhong li (snap buff right before release rather than nerf) which i suppose is going over better with people than the latter lol

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
After playing through that story quest, I feel that I will be extremely disappointed if none of Ganyu's future character quests involve her confronting Zhongli over embezzlement an "additional expense" like the one he asked Ferrylady to hide in his character tale video. There's a lot of fun ways that situation could go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Archonex posted:

I just hope she doesn't get nerfed. She's legitimately a fantastic character. Having tried her out in combat for a bit the insane damage potential is balanced by the fact that it's easy to get smacked by something or flanked. Which is fatal in many encounters at a higher level of play. Especially when you factor in how easy it is to kill her. She seems extremely fragile. Though that might be her underleveled stats talking for me.

people get mega upset when gacha characters they spent hundreds or more dollars on get nerfed so I doubt the devs will go that route

maybe they'll buff other characters instead but nerfs? seems unlikely imo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Archonex posted:

Someone who can consistently hit weak points (You only need to hit them like once every 10s.) with snipe mode while retaining situational awareness though can break a lot of encounters over their knee. Granted, this requires personal skill and not in game leveled up skills, but :shrug:.

I had to change to kb/m to hit the barrel-shooting challenge for the treasure hunt event purely because a controller just wasn't doing it. The normal barrels suck but they give you enough time to mash them out.

Archonex posted:

Klee would pair absurdly well with her and would probably just annihilate even the bosses in a few seconds with the right setup. Xiangliang it depends on whether you can keep the enemies in range of Guoba. Though Guoba does give another 10% or so damage boost when it despawns.

No Klee, but afaict Xiangling is built entirely for off-field pyro. The issue then is being in melee range and trying to charge consistent headshots... which is something I'm hoping gets tested. Gouba would be great but everyone will just run past him to get to you unless they're a mage.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Archonex posted:

I mean, even without melt she's doing insane amounts of damage. The guy who pointed out that a burst from Zhongli is doing less than charged shot isn't exaggerating.

I have her at level 51 atm and she's consistently pulling 10-12K damage in an aoe per shot. The first shot gives her the buffs to do this. The second one and every shot onwards just hands out ridiculous amounts of damage. And keep in mind each shot takes like 2-3 seconds to charge and I don't have a refined Crescent Prototype! That's an insane amount of damage if you have the stats for a crit dmg boosting build.

At level 80, she gets ~1/2 of a CRIT DMG crown and ~2/3 of a CRIT Rate crown built in (on top of premium 5* ATK scaling). So, yeah, pretty ridiculous. They pretty much took Amber and went "what if not just good, but broken?"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
First 10-roll...C1 Noelle. Nice! I wanted more Noelle constellations.

Second 10-roll...Xingqiu and a 4* Sword! :3: Excellent! Xingqiu was the only 4* I was missing on this banner. Everything after this is gravy.

Third 10-roll...

:neckbeard:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Manatee Cannon posted:

people get mega upset when gacha characters they spent hundreds or more dollars on get nerfed so I doubt the devs will go that route

maybe they'll buff other characters instead but nerfs? seems unlikely imo

With this i'm certain that Amber is probably going to receive a major buff in the future. Ganyu is set up so that you actually want to do archery when DPSing with her (Her skills appear to be support so far. It's her charged shots that are incredible.).

Amber does not have the changes that enable Ganyu to just crap DPS everywhere. While I doubt they'll buff her to the level of a 5 star it wouldn't be unexpected for Amber to get a decent buff in terms of her own charged shot damage at some point.

Mailer posted:

I had to change to kb/m to hit the barrel-shooting challenge for the treasure hunt event purely because a controller just wasn't doing it. The normal barrels suck but they give you enough time to mash them out.

Oh yeah, under no circumstances should you try to snipe on mobile (or if you aren't good at finagling your aim to work on console). Granted, i've been playing shooters since before aim assist in games existed so I just kind of shrugged when I realized I was on my own when it came to landing hits. :shrug:

quote:

No Klee, but afaict Xiangling is built entirely for off-field pyro. The issue then is being in melee range and trying to charge consistent headshots... which is something I'm hoping gets tested. Gouba would be great but everyone will just run past him to get to you unless they're a mage.

You bring up a good point that I hadn't considered. Xiangliang has a close range pyro apply via a skill. However, Ganyu has a taunt as her e that can lure enemies in. So there actually is some potentially workable synergy there.

That makes her C2 look really good as well, since it gives you extra room to finagle the mobs into range for that pyro apply so you can aoe snipe them for insane damage.

Edit: Superconduct lowers defense stats, right? If so she could also pair well with Fischl.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 13, 2021

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've been playing around with Ganyu a bit and I really can't find anybody who pairs well with her for reactions.

Xingqiu's ult is almost worthless since it only applies for an attack that does little damage, can't be aimed, and only hits a single target. His E is melee range + long cooldown. Freezing with Barbara seems awful with how often you need to swap to her and how quickly it wears off. I don't have Mona or Childe, but between the 2 4* options a freeze comp seems terrible.

Melt doesn't seem very doable either. There are a lot of melee-range pyro abilities that don't synergize very well, but even something like Xiangling's E seems extraordinary less-than-ideal since Ganyu applies so much cryo that enemies are pretty much already guaranteed to have cryo on them, meaning the pyro attack gets the melt rather than the big, chunky Ganyu charged attack. Who cares about Guoba doing 2x damage?

Might end up just ignoring elemental reactions altogether. Mostly been maining Ningguang so far and she's just fine without them.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 13, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mailer posted:

not sure how well the aggro on it works, but her skill being a melee-range backdash/taunt seems perfect for ensuring a situation like that pays off. or well, could pay off ^

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Pulled C6 Xingqiu as I had hoped/feared without any intervening mishaps of consequence. Decided to head for pity just to see since I was closeish and ended up with C2 Mona. I'm... really not sure about Ganyu, given how utterly worthless the rest of her banner would be. She's clearly extremely powerful and I greatly enjoy Aimed Shot gameplay, but everything else on the banner is a complete dud for me now.

The good news is, C6 Xingqiu is as stupid as one would expect. I knew the damage would improve quite a bit, but what really surprised me is how impactful the energy regeneration is. His Burst can be used extremely aggressively at C6; it will regenerate most of its cost and a Skill tap does the rest. Shockingly way more exciting than the damage, which I figured would be the main draw. Can't underestimate energy passives of any sort in this game.

It's actually difficult to see how well Diluc/Xingqiu/Sucrose/Bennett works because most content, even at WL8, can't survive it long enough to really tell how synergistic it is.

Archonex posted:

I can do like 30k damage per second with Diluc and Xingqiu, the numbers are good but let's see where the team compositions all shake out because she is pretty awkward in that she's a selfish carry (in that she demands you play as her a lot) but one that doesn't care that much about swapping.

Also if you're looking for off-field Pyro application potential, C2 Xinyan can use her Burst, generate a lv3 shield, and swap out. Again though, you have the issue of a point-blank melee option. Hu Tao applies a DoT to things but it ticks very slowly so I'm not sure how good it'll be at applying Pyro stacks for Ganyu's use. Wouldn't surprise me if it's juuuuuuuuuuust good enough to try to sell you on the combo though, these gacha guys ain't dumb.

dogsicle posted:

not sure how well the aggro on it works, but her skill being a melee-range backdash/taunt seems perfect for ensuring a situation like that pays off. or well, could pay off ^
Taunts are extremely effective but have very short range. If an enemy is in that range they will be utterly bamboozled by Amber/Mona/Ganyu, but the trick is they have to be pretty close to it in the first place or they won't even notice.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

At level 80, she gets ~1/2 of a CRIT DMG crown and ~2/3 of a CRIT Rate crown built in (on top of premium 5* ATK scaling). So, yeah, pretty ridiculous. They pretty much took Amber and went "what if not just good, but broken?"

Okay, yeah. That's incredible. Is there a hard cap to the amount of the crit damage stat you can have? Or can you just keep stacking absurd amounts of damage? Which I guess would explain that video of the person just three shotting the bosses.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://streamable.com/iwz2sy

more whale poo poo

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That was a 100k aoe crit on an ability that that can be shot every 2 seconds.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Someone mentioned xiangling pepper and I just want to say it’s only 10% atk which is barely noticeable even under the best conditions. I only mention it because of how disappointed I was just the other day by it.

Like yes this is obvious but it’s one thing to know it’s nothing and it’s another to open a character screen and see it only adding like 80 atk.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Anyone just get a random primogem out of nowhere?

Suddenly got one while teleporting. Not sure what triggered it, or if it was a bug and I should be worried.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
One thing to note is that the Amos bow is broken with her. The reason is the delay between the arrow hitting and the bloom proccing counts towards the Amos passive meaning bloom will almost always get full Amos stacks. That streamer has an R4 Amos which amounts to a total of 91% extra damage from Amos passive (on a bow with 5* stats). A lot of the videos of her you'll be seeing will be using this.

Ofc he'd still get a 60k hit with a 4* weapon.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Amos's bonus was always incredibly powerful, just nobody wanted to use it except Amber.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Did about 15 rolls, got c7 Noelle and c8 Xiangling, even though the Xiangling should have been my 75 pity roll.

If I don't get Ganyu by true pity I'm going to short circuit, what an awful banner for me to need to push through.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I have almost exactly enough primogems to hard pity Ganyu since I already received a non-banner 5*, and none of the 4* on the banner are higher than C3 so it is unlikely I will waste anything. I am just somewhat torn if I want to do that or not. She looks pretty OP, I don't really have a good weapon for her but I can make a R2 prototype crescent if I want to. I will be sad if there is a good weapon banner with Wolf's Gravestone after and I have no rolls, but I also could just miss her for nothing if there is nothing worth rolling on in the banners after for a month or two. I guess I have a few weeks to decide...

So far on the banner I got Diluc C1 on soft pity, then Xingqiu C2, Bennett C3, and Noelle C2 in 24 rolls.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 13, 2021

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
we're way behind schedule

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Oh hey. Turns out that Ganyu can also slaughter all of the pigeons in front of Timmy in a single shot, before they even realize you're there.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

I guess I have a few weeks to decide...

This is pretty much where I am. There's a lot of questions. If Ganyu is super OP in a practical non-whale sense then she's a good pull, but what does that say about Xiao who could also be super OP if they turbocrank his numbers like they did for her? Gotta skip one of them because you always need pity saved for when they rerun Venti/ZL.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://streamable.com/xqsknl lol

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Was at soft pity before this banner and super excited to see which 5* I would get, kind of hoping for Ganyu. And... C1 Diluc. My only 5*'s are still Childe and Diluc. Pretty frustrated, I just wanted a new character - would even have been happy with any of the off-banner options except Diluc or Mona.

I think I theoretically should have enough gems to hit pity again on this banner, but I just don't know if it's worth it as a low spending player (have only gotten one welkin and one BP so far). I suppose I'll wait and see if the consensus is that she's busted.

On the upside, from my 30-ish pulls I got 2x xiangling and 1x XQ bringing xiangling to c3 and XQ to c1. I use both of those characters so I'm happy with that result.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I mean, Bennett was already capable of setting up insane melt shenanigans.

But it is pretty lol that Ganyu has essentially a burst-tier ability on a 2 second cooldown and no energy cost.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

amusingly, the frozen ice patch on the water appears where the arrow explodes rather than where it hits

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think that's just that weird glitchy area where doing the puzzle lowers the water level. Similar thing can happen with Chong or with Klee (her bombs fizzle out)

https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/klt49p/chongyun_god_bridging/

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

gandlethorpe posted:

I mean, Bennett was already capable of setting up insane melt shenanigans.

But it is pretty lol that Ganyu has essentially a burst-tier ability on a 2 second cooldown and no energy cost.
Eh, Mona combos do more damage than that. She's good and a relatively easy top-end DPS to gear, but what I'm seeing is basically either good setup or circumstances that advantage her (weakpoint shooting, where she should be good), and she requires you to aim. Her damage should be very high considering she forces you to go into charged shot mode and actually aim it. If it weren't, why would anyone want to use her as a primary Cryo DPS (the role she is clearly intended to fill)?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Crit comp clips are funny but I definitely wouldn't judge characters based on them. Footage of normal Ganyu play is probably still really good but you won't get youtube hits with "only" a 60k crit.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
my instinct from trying mine out for a bit is that ganyu is very good, probably on the same level as the other top-flight 5* damage units at C0, but not practically good enough to justify "but what if poor mihoyo has to refund all the pulls when they do a korwa-level nerf" doomposting

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

As a general carry Im thinking she's on the level of klee and diluc, still not on the level of Venti as a general unit.

As a cryo support she's better than any of the other cryo supports. So if you want to have constant cryo applications to maximize uptime on superconduct or whatever you'll like run her instead of kaeya if you have her.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Lost my pity to Keqing. Considering getting welkin moon just for a chance at Ganyu... not that I would use her to fight, just so I can kill all the birds that are tightly grouped in the world.

I can confirm that one frost flake arrow murders the gently caress out of Timmies pigeons.