Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
While we, as a nation, roll around in the fruits of our crapitude, behold the front page of the Daily Turdograph.

This on a morning where Anne Webster, member for Mallee defended Craig Kelly on the grounds of Free Speech. Free Speech that was necessary so both sides of the climate debate can be heard :psyboom:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-licence-to-lie

JFW lost consciousness after being held on his stomach on the ground during a citizens arrest by a retired police officer in Lockridge, Perth. He had allegedly entered the retired police officer's carport with another man and was believed to be committing a crime, an allegation that his family say was never proved. The police officer was twice JWF's weight but said he was "careful". A coroner found the force used against him was "reasonable" and blamed his death on methamphetamine addiction.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody, force used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Cartoon posted:

While we, as a nation, roll around in the fruits of our crapitude, behold the front page of the Daily Turdograph.

This on a morning where Anne Webster, member for Mallee defended Craig Kelly on the grounds of Free Speech. Free Speech that was necessary so both sides of the climate debate can be heard :psyboom:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-licence-to-lie

JFW lost consciousness after being held on his stomach on the ground during a citizens arrest by a retired police officer in Lockridge, Perth. He had allegedly entered the retired police officer's carport with another man and was believed to be committing a crime, an allegation that his family say was never proved. The police officer was twice JWF's weight but said he was "careful". A coroner found the force used against him was "reasonable" and blamed his death on methamphetamine addiction.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody, force used.

I hope they gently caress it up like how they renamed redskins red rippers without googling it to see if that was one of the worst serial killers in history or not

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So generally aren't acting leaders not really meant to be going around lighting fires? I assume he is just because he's A nat so Morison won't really be able to punish him for it?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

dr_rat posted:

So generally aren't acting leaders not really meant to be going around lighting fires? I assume he is just because he's A nat so Morison won't really be able to punish him for it?

There is a simmering view in the Nat party room that McCormack is too milquetoast and gets rolled by Scotty all the time. So his pins-out grenade juggling act is a way to make him more visible and “relevant” I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Who the gently caress was campaigning to change the name of Coon cheese lmao

The only reasonable argument for the change is the time that imbecile Courtney Barnett did Black Skinhead by Yeezy and changed the lyric "coon poo poo" to "coon cheese" while giggling like a child.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 13, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean, my mother and her friends all strongly dislike it, if not to the point of actively demonstrating against it, so i'm not surprised? it's a pretty nasty slur that has no good reason to be on the name of a brand of cheese

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

The only reasonable argument for the change is the time that imbecile Courtney Barnett did Black Skinhead by Yeezy and changed the lyric "coon poo poo" to "coon cheese" while giggling like a child.

what about the argument that it's a racist slur, is that reasonable

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

300 chickens

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

what about the argument that it's a racist slur, is that reasonable

Will Ed Coon's descendants be changing their names?

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

i mean if my last name was the n word i probably would but that's just me

to be clear the cheese name is not like the greatest injustice in the world (though if you read what this guy says is some evidence suggesting Mr Ed was actually not that involved in the process and was basically a patsy for their racist joke) but i'm sure not shedding a tear that it's changing

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

Will Ed Coon's descendants be changing their names?

If they know what's good for them

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

abigserve posted:

Old White Man Has Hot Takes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wish we could ban Courtney Barnett

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

not an emptyquote.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Breakfast Burrito posted:

i mean if my last name was the n word i probably would but that's just me

p.much this really.

EDIT:

Guardian Au posted:

The New South Wales government has spent less than $13m of its $50m rescue package for arts organisations hit by the Covid-19 shutdown.

When the scheme was first announced almost six months ago, the NSW government said the $50m Rescue and Restart funding would be distributed in two rounds.

With the second round of grant applications now open to access $30.1m, almost $7m remains formally unaccounted for by the NSW government from the emergency scheme.

Guardian Australia has been told by a number of arts organisations that they were instructed by the NSW government not to reveal publicly how much emergency funding they received under the Rescue and Restart scheme.

When Guardian Australia asked the office of the arts minister Don Harwin in December why there appeared to be no publicly accessible data on grant recipients, a spokesperson said there were issues of commercial in confidence.
:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...vernment-scheme

EDIT2:

Guardian Australia posted:

Australia remains one of the world’s hotspots for deforestation according to a new report by WWF, which finds an area six times the size of Tasmania has been cleared globally since 2004.

The analysis identifies 24 “deforestation fronts” worldwide where a total of 43 million hectares of forest was destroyed in the period from 2004 until 2017.

Australia is the only country in the developed world to appear on the list, with eastern Australia named alongside Colombia, Peru, Laos and Mozambique as locations with “medium” rates of deforestation.

The countries with high rates of deforestation include Brazil, Bolivia, Madagascar and Borneo.

“Land-clearing rates rocketed after the axing of restrictions in Queensland and NSW placing eastern Australia alongside the most infamous places in the world for forest destruction,” WWF-Australia conservation scientist Martin Taylor said.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/13/australia-the-only-developed-nation-on-world-list-of-deforestation-hotspots

:lol::lol:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 13, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

what did the cute snarky lesbian ever do to you?!

also this

https://www.smh.com.au/national/if-...111-p56t9p.html

Midway through her tirade against unnecessary masks, abusive vaccination programs, corrupt judiciary and lying public servants at an anti-lockdown rally in Melbourne last month, Melbourne lawyer Serene Teffaha seemed almost to run out of breath. "I've given birth to this class action," she said.

One academic described the coronavirus protest movement as a whale shark, with every anti-5G, anti-vaxxer, medical sceptic, snake oil salesman and far-right libertarian feeding off it like pilot fish. Ms Teffaha, who rose from obscurity to reinvent herself as a "human rights lawyer" last year, has emerged as their champion.

It is perhaps not a surprise that she's risen to prominence during a pandemic, a time when baseless conspiracy theories about the dangers of 5G and the origins and spread of coronavirus have swirled feverishly.

Serene Teffaha has been drumming up clients for a catch-all class action that includes people affected by any form of detention, mandatory vaccination, business closures, residential aged care isolation, cross border rules, contact tracing, compulsory testing and masks and various other measures put in place to control the spread of coronavirus. She has raised at least $500,000 since May, but is yet to file any class actions. The federal government has made clear it will not make a coronavirus vaccine mandatory.

She is also representing Jenny D'Ubios, who escaped hotel quarantine in Perth on Boxing Day after claiming her detention was a violation of her human rights and based on a virus that did not exist. Ms D'Ubios was put into a maximum-security prison after police found out Ms Teffaha had mistakenly given the wrong address in her bail application.

Ms Teffaha appeared at a rally in Broadmeadows on December 6 to prosecute her argument against coronavirus restrictions, with a speech that described bureaucrats as "liars", judges as "corrupt" and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) as "the most terrorist organisation". She also said there was no need to wear masks at a time they were mandatory in numerous settings in Victoria.

"This is gaslighting," she said.

"This is abusive behaviour. This is not on and we will call them out and if these judges are going to be corrupt we will call the judges on it.

"We will keep calling them all out until there's a revolution on the streets and if we need to shed blood for peace, then so be it."

Ms Teffaha was previously a senior lawyer with the Australian Taxation Office but left after lodging a whistleblower complaint and subsequently sued the ATO.

She said she has more than 2000 clients, each of whom must give a minimum upfront payment of $250. The money was being held in a trust, she said, and she had not yet paid herself for her work.

However, she said she was not required to hold in trust monies donated by people who had not signed a costs agreement.

Ms Teffaha has drawn the attention of anti-scamming activists including "Lucky Lance" Simon, a convicted criminal-cum-comedian married to Melbourne gangland lawyer Zarah Garde-Wilson, whose early scepticism about some coronavirus claims has been replaced by a crusade against those who seek to profit from it.

Mr Simon started by skewering the anti-coronavirus groups who sought to enlist his support, including the libertarian Facebook group Reignite Democracy Australia and right-wing activist Avi Yemeni, who has raised close to $500,000 through crowdfunding for a constitutional challenge against the lockdown.

He encouraged his followers to report Mr Yemeni to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for deceptive and misleading conduct. Mr Yemeni reported Mr Simon to the police for making a death threat against him in a comedy skit. The matter was thrown out. No action has been taken against Mr Yemeni regarding his fundraising.

Mr Simon said he had been contacted by many people who had donated to Ms Teffaha's class action and were concerned that nothing had happened yet. The rally footage has been sent to the Victorian Legal Services Board.

"Nothing she says makes sense, but she's a champion of the people because she's a lawyer," he said. "If someone like Serene Teffaha calls lawyers corrupt, people believe her and there's a huge attitude in society that the judges are all against us and I don't think that's helpful."

The Legal Services Board is prevented under the legislation from confirming whether a complaint has been received.

Ms Teffaha said she planned to file the "detention towers" class action this week, followed by the national class action and a COVID-19 vaccine challenge once it had been approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

She said her use of the term "blood on the streets" was not meant to be taken literally, but referred to the expression coined by Baron Rothschild and intended as a plea for people to go against the crowd.

"My speech was a protest speech and was impassioned, which is not my usual demeanour," she said.

"I was not referring to all judges as corrupt but specifically the Family Court of Australia has many corruption issues with people taking children and forcing them to go with the perpetrator parent — I am doing an action on that."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
some guy in north sydney assaulted a security guard and stabbed a shopper after being asked to wear a mask

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

bowmore posted:

some guy in north sydney assaulted a security guard and stabbed a shopper after being asked to wear a mask

Should have worn a mask. They'd be harder to ID :agesilaus:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Lid posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/threat-to-democracy-is-real-mps-call-for-social-media-code-of-conduct-20210112-p56tju.html

Social media companies would have to sign up to an Australian code of conduct on the way they silence free speech and shut down accounts, under a federal push for greater oversight after Twitter and Facebook suspended posts by US President Donald Trump.

Liberal MPs called for the voluntary code as a practical first step to introduce transparency and accountability to public debate on the online platforms, while raising the prospect of passing new federal laws to mandate the code if necessary.

The calls put an early proposal on the agenda within the federal Coalition party room as cabinet ministers express frustration at Twitter's move to take down Mr Trump's account but struggle to name a policy solution to the private company's control of the content posted on its site.

Acting Prime Minister Michael McCormack has slammed Twitter's move and questioned why the company took down Mr Trump's tweets when it would not remove a Chinese Foreign Ministry tweet last year that showed an Australian soldier holding a knife to a young child's throat.

But Liberal MP Trent Zimmerman, who represents North Sydney, said Twitter was right to suspend Mr Trump's account when the President was inciting violence during a riot last Thursday that posed a danger to the United States Congress.

"In Australia we called on Twitter to censor the Chinese government for its reprehensible post. That was the right call, just as it was the right call for Twitter to suspend the account of Donald Trump in circumstances where his comments could threaten the peaceful handover of government in the United States," Mr Zimmerman said.

"We know this is not simply guesswork: the events of last week prove that the threat to democracy is real and present.

One day after Technology Minister Karen Andrews called for more transparency in the way social media companies policed content, Mr Zimmerman said the episode highlighted the inconsistency in the way Twitter continued to allow some of the world's worst authoritarian leaders to spread propaganda.

"I think there is a strong case for the companies to establish a code of conduct which provides universal guidance as to the way that they respond to these issues and the circumstances in which they will exercise their editorial rights," Mr Zimmerman said.

"These companies play an increasingly substantial role in the future of our democracies because they are the town squares for so much public debate.

"If they are to avoid governments legislating – which should be a last resort – then they need to take the bull by the horns and provide greater transparency and clarity themselves."

NSW Liberal Senator Andrew Bragg also called for a code of conduct on Tuesday, saying the debate was at an early stage after Twitter "crossed the Rubicon" with its decision on Mr Trump.

"The question is, what are they going to do with all the material on their platforms which already transgress our laws, especially in relation to incitement and defamation?" Senator Bragg asked.

"I would like to see if the platforms do this at their own volition and if not, look to put in place a code of conduct and if that doesn't fail, then you'd have to look at further, more onerous obligations that could be considered by Canberra."

Can't even lie and incite riots online anymore Mr Speaker

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Peccadillo posted:

I hope they gently caress it up like how they renamed redskins red rippers without googling it to see if that was one of the worst serial killers in history or not

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Too many limbs.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

They'll mess it up then change it to the name of the place where it is from.

Call it iCheese 2.0

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

Too many limbs.

stumps

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuddenCactus posted:

Can't even lie and incite riots online anymore Mr Speaker
they really don’t have anything better to do?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nobody’s material conditions are alleviated by the rebranding of a type of cheese, but at least now we can shut up and stop talking about it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Endman posted:

Nobody’s material conditions are alleviated by the rebranding of a type of cheese, but at least now we can shut up and stop talking about it.

Your just jealous because somebody else solved racism forever.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Endman posted:

of course but it's a "yes, and" situation

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Endman posted:

This is a dumb test to apply

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Endman posted:

Nobody's material conditions are worsened by this post but I still wish it didn't exist.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lid posted:

Jenny D'Ubios, who escaped hotel quarantine in Perth on Boxing Day after claiming her detention was a violation of her human rights and based on a virus that did not exist.

D'ubious claims...

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zenithe posted:

gently caress

Endman
May 18, 2010

I can’t believe I’m being dunked on for my totally reasonable posting.

mods?????

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zenithe posted:

Wait we solved racism forever? ...does this mean we can make today a national holiday.

Sort feels like we should. For the racism solved thing and all.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 13, 2021

Squidtits
Mar 30, 2004
Spank me, you know you wanna
Anyone else getting a "Fast. Affordable. Sooner" feeling regarding the vaccine rollout?
Pfizer's 95% effectiveness vs AstraZeneca's 70% (possibly as low as 62%) is a huge gap.
While I understand we currently have the infrastructure to manufacture the latter in Australia surely the government could entice Pfizer to set up shop here or at least set up a facility that is capable of making mRNA vaccines.
Personally I think they were backing the wrong horses and found themselves at the back of the queue.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Squidtits posted:

Anyone else getting a "Fast. Affordable. Sooner" feeling regarding the vaccine rollout?
Pfizer's 95% effectiveness vs AstraZeneca's 70% (possibly as low as 62%) is a huge gap.
While I understand we currently have the infrastructure to manufacture the latter in Australia surely the government could entice Pfizer to set up shop here or at least set up a facility that is capable of making mRNA vaccines.
Personally I think they were backing the wrong horses and found themselves at the back of the queue.

https://twitter.com/andrewjhansen/status/1349094205692407808

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Lid posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/threat-to-democracy-is-real-mps-call-for-social-media-code-of-conduct-20210112-p56tju.html

Social media companies would have to sign up to an Australian code of conduct on the way they silence free speech and shut down accounts, under a federal push for greater oversight after Twitter and Facebook suspended posts by US President Donald Trump.

We need these companies to explain exactly where the line is so we can walk right up to it without stepping over it
- conservatives everywhere.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Squidtits posted:

Still more effective than the flu vaccine that we get every year and dont question the efficacy rates of.

Plus, you don't need the super freezers to store it, and ethically, should we be taking the place of some other country where the crow is rampant while it's pretty much under control here.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
if the past decade(s) have taught us anything it's that we shouldn't rely on anything british

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hhaha

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Buttcoin purse posted:

We need these companies to explain exactly where the line is so we can walk right up to it without stepping over it cry like little babies when we get banned for clearly stepping over it
- conservatives everywhere.