Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

more falafel please posted:

basically all shooters have aim-assist, and on console it's practically a necessity. i had a two hour meeting with a combat tech designer from One Of The Big Multiplayer Shooters that was just him two hours of telling us all the different ways they make it so if you think you should hit something you always do

I turn off aim assist. I may suck at video games, but I'm not helpless.

In Borderlands 1, enemies that you've perfectly sighted down and gotten a bead on their head will just-so-happen to decide to get up and move away in the half second before you pull the trigger. This assumes the game's collision detection didn't decide a leaf on a tree or a tumbleweed or tent flap or god-knows-what while fhe enemy sat there patiently. Once I took three shots at an enemy at combat rifle distance with a sniper rifle and the first two shots didn't even aggro him, despite being centre mass both times. The third shot (still directly at him with no obstructions, mind) actually did aggro him.

This was one of Borderlands 1's MANY crimes. I'm amazed they made a sequel. Glad though, because 2 is fun.

How can you tell guns are more accurate in 2? With aim assist off, I can noscope headshot with pistols at medium distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

basically all shooters have aim-assist, and on console it's practically a necessity. i had a two hour meeting with a combat tech designer from One Of The Big Multiplayer Shooters that was just him two hours of telling us all the different ways they make it so if you think you should hit something you always do

for multiplayer stuff is that’s usually “shooter’s/peeker’s advantage” and not aim assist.

unless you’re talking about controller stuff

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lol at wasting millions on consultants just for fun. the system works

quote:

When we last left the crown prince, he had reportedly commissioned 2,300-pages’ worth of proposals from Boston Consulting Group, McKinsey & Co. and Oliver Wyman boasting of possible amenities like holographic schoolteachers, cloud seeding to create rain, flying taxis, glow-in-the-dark beaches, a giant NASA-built artificial moon, and lots of robots: maids, cage fighters, and dinosaurs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mistermojo posted:

lol at wasting millions on consultants just for fun. the system works

what are you saying you’d do something boring like solve world hunger with your unlimited money ?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smdh a lot of people itt putting down jobs programs and strong keynesian spending

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
After solving all of the legitimate issues facing our species, planet and intermingled biospheres, sure. Those sound like they'd be fun to do if enough folks with know-how and wanto-to are on board and not under the current power dynamic.
Need to get reworked for sustainability and hell, maybe they'd be possible, once literally every other problem is solved first.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
guys

guys what if

guys what if we folded THE LINE back on on itself? This would halve the maximum time it takes to get from one end of the city to the other.

Do this five times and THE LINE would become a six‐by‐six kilometre square, assuming a block width of two hundred metres. Very practical.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my idea for the City of the Future is called THE HOLE. it's a big hole in the ground. you jump into it and are never seen nor heard from ever again.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

my idea for the City of the Future is called THE HOLE. it's a big hole in the ground. you jump into it and are never seen nor heard from ever again.

sounds nice

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

for multiplayer stuff is that’s usually “shooter’s/peeker’s advantage” and not aim assist.

unless you’re talking about controller stuff

destiny has some of the best feeling shooting on consoles and it’s heavily due to some incredibly generous aim assist

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

destiny has some of the best feeling shooting on consoles and it’s heavily due to some incredibly generous aim assist

oh I thought pvp was meant

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I mean I guess it would mean quite a few people would get loving massive back yards.

Also I see a lot of people just driving out into the desert and circling back in again when they get to their destinations rather than dealing with peak hour traffic.

The idea is the run a hyperloop or some other sort of wunderbahn down the center of the whole thing so nobody has to drive.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

hobbesmaster posted:

oh I thought pvp was meant

they do it in pvp too iirc.

and yeah I'm talking about controller stuff (your camera/reticule is "magnetic" over enemies/targets, etc) and client prediction/lag compensation stuff (if that guy was there on your screen when you fired, you hit him even though he had started moving already on his screen), but also just like making your shots hit instead of narrowly missing.

it doesn't get talked about an awful lot because the whole point is to make you feel better about yourself and have a good time. it doesn't really lower the competitive ceiling, it just raises the floor some. also, it's not the 90s anymore, big name AAA shooters are targeting console first, because they sell more on consoles.

tl;dr your games are doing aim assist and it's good

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Weembles posted:

The idea is the run a hyperloop or some other sort of wunderbahn down the center of the whole thing so nobody has to drive.

Lol running than many people through any sort of hyperloop deal-o. I mean good for them if they do it, but seems like just going to be a fascinating disaster.

I'm sure there will be many the urban planner who writes their thesis on this.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tepid take : Aim assist is good, larger playerbase for multiplayer is good, making games more accessible is good. Just give people the choice

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

leave me out of this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i would like to commission experts to build me a gargantuan energy sniper rifle to be wielded by an evangelion robot piloted by me (a rival saudi prince) and when I shoot it the energy bullet evaporates the whole city built like a line

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This seems like a whole bunch of those Soviet self-contained neighbourhoods, but arranged side by side instead of in a circle.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

they do it in pvp too iirc.

and yeah I'm talking about controller stuff (your camera/reticule is "magnetic" over enemies/targets, etc) and client prediction/lag compensation stuff (if that guy was there on your screen when you fired, you hit him even though he had started moving already on his screen), but also just like making your shots hit instead of narrowly missing.

it doesn't get talked about an awful lot because the whole point is to make you feel better about yourself and have a good time. it doesn't really lower the competitive ceiling, it just raises the floor some. also, it's not the 90s anymore, big name AAA shooters are targeting console first, because they sell more on consoles.

Gyro aiming makes controllers nearly as accurate as mouse and keyboard with no autoaim needed. You just use the stick for large movements and gyro for finetuning your aim. Nintendo has really nailed this with Splatoon and I use it on PC all the time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Gyro aiming makes controllers nearly as accurate as mouse and keyboard with no autoaim needed. You just use the stick for large movements and gyro for finetuning your aim. Nintendo has really nailed this with Splatoon and I use it on PC all the time.

nothing will ever compare to the time in Onward VR me and some shmuck with a riot shield were the last surviving members on my team in the suburbs map, so I had him pin down the last surviving member of the enemy team as I ran around the corners and personally carried out a ritual execution via a single pistol round to the back of the skull at point-blank range

I actually had to take the headset off out of raw terror, it was an incredible shock to the system

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Lol running than many people through any sort of hyperloop deal-o. I mean good for them if they do it, but seems like just going to be a fascinating disaster.

I'm sure there will be many the urban planner who writes their thesis on this.

the whole thing seems akin to the most ridiculous (and pop-culturally salient) science fiction predictions about the cities of the future from the 40’s and 50’s, so imo they should go for the 100 mph pedestrian conveyor belts featured in Heinlein’s 1940 short story “The Roads Must Roll”

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the Spec Ops franchise warned us about this

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Flavahbeast posted:

oh my god

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flavahbeast posted:

Gentlemen. Welcome to Dubai.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

nothing will ever compare to the time in Onward VR me and some shmuck with a riot shield were the last surviving members on my team in the suburbs map, so I had him pin down the last surviving member of the enemy team as I ran around the corners and personally carried out a ritual execution via a single pistol round to the back of the skull at point-blank range

I actually had to take the headset off out of raw terror, it was an incredible shock to the system

developing PTSD to own the gamers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

developing PTSD to own the gamers

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Flavahbeast posted:

:thurman:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

guys

guys what if

guys what if we folded THE LINE back on on itself? This would halve the maximum time it takes to get from one end of the city to the other.

Do this five times and THE LINE would become a six‐by‐six kilometre square, assuming a block width of two hundred metres. Very practical.

congrats you have created Super Indianapolis

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flavahbeast posted:

lmfao but... is true

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weembles posted:

What was the monorail called in snowcrash

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sounds like you only play dogshit shooters

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Stunt_enby posted:

no i was contracted to make a dogshit hyper-realistic shooter on console and despite presenting a large body of evidence about how all console shooters do aim assist (and the principals at the client refusing to play it on console because they couldn't aim with a controller) they insisted on 1:1 movement. it's a dogshit game (it's not out yet) and the only reason i don't mention it by name is i a) don't want to lose my job and b) don't want to be associated with it. we requested to not be listed in the credits

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Stunt_enby posted:

very troubling that no fps in gaming history has contained a gun that shoots dogshit, even as a gag weapon.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

postal 3 has a gun that shoots cum

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

guarantee you there was a dogshit gun in Turok

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the monorail called in snowcrash

I don’t think there was a train featured prominently in snow crash

if you’re thinking of snowpiercer, the train was named snowpiercer

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Weembles posted:

it's taking one dimension out of a city, making it one dimensional. it's an awful idea for traffic. it's an awful idea. aesthetically might be cool

Chamale posted:

This seems like a whole bunch of those Soviet self-contained neighbourhoods, but arranged side by side instead of in a circle.

actually it seems like this is the second urban planning you've ever heard of, so they remind you of eachother. the soviet one is good

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

imagine playing an fps on a console lol. embarassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I don’t think there was a train featured prominently in snow crash

if you’re thinking of snowpiercer, the train was named snowpiercer

It's in the vr internet world. Pretty sure it's just called The Monorail.