Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

There is way too much blame placed on chartwells and way too little placed on the contract

I mean, the entire conversation is "a bunch of cunts gave a bung to their oval office mates who hosed over poor people". The contract is implicitly in question, but since a contract is an inanimate object and somewhat of an abstract concept, the focus is kept on the cunts

E: 1989 , the Berlin Wall comes down. Must have been sad for that lady who was sexually attracted/married to the Berlin Wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1349332690802253826?s=20

This is his pretend "Gormless twat" face.

The man is a mountebank.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I can't read "Chartwells" without hearing Woody Harrelson as Larry Flint calling Jerry Falwell "Fartwell".

Shart well.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also from googling around there's this apparently:

quote:

In 2019, Compass Group company Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services cut ties with US organisation Cenikor after an investigation found that Cenikor had supplied drug rehabilitation patients as unpaid labour to work in canteens.

and

quote:

Boss behind free school meals scandal earned £4,700,000 last year

lmbo (to be fair the parent company is very large)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 13, 2021

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, the entire conversation is "a bunch of cunts gave a bung to their oval office mates who hosed over poor people". The contract is implicitly in question, but since a contract is an inanimate object and somewhat of an abstract concept, the focus is kept on the cunts

E: 1989 , the Berlin Wall comes down. Must have been sad for that lady who was sexually attracted/married to the Berlin Wall

I'm not sure if they meant "the contract" as in the actual thing itself or the people who wrote and offered it to Chartwells or whatever. But it is insane that the contract they were given apparently did not legally preclude them from skimming off 80% of the money

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pathetic weasel of a man: (Kieth)

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1349350377313996800?s=20

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Julio Cruz posted:

ah yes, nothing says centrism like quoting Andrew loving Neil

"ukip-lite Tories or Jeremy Corbyn. How is that a choice?"

A really loving clear one?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lord of the Llamas posted:

"ukip-lite Tories or Jeremy Corbyn. How is that a choice?"

A really loving clear one?

This is the overarching problem. To a lot of people there wasn't a difference because they were told by all their mates that their wasn't a difference. It truly is mind blowing how utterly in hoc to right wing media this nation is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josef bugman posted:

This is the overarching problem. To a lot of people there wasn't a difference because they were told by all their mates that their wasn't a difference. It truly is mind blowing how utterly in hoc to right wing media this nation is.

And they're still doing it with the above comparisons to a literal far right terrorist attack on US soil facilitated by the president. It's deranged.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

stev posted:

And they're still doing it with the above comparisons to a literal far right terrorist attack on US soil facilitated by the president. It's deranged.

It really is end of history brain poisoning. The belief that "nothing is actually happening" even as things happen is just mind blowing to me.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Similarities:
- Bipedal mammals
- Mostly anglophone
- Have political beliefs
- Want to change society in some way
- Think that Ian Austin is a oval office

From the centrist perspective, the last 3 are enough to lump them together, left & right both oppose the status quo so are enemies of the "center". It doesn't matter to them that we oppose it in opposite directions (except wrt Ian Austin)

e: centrism is basically newspeak for reactionary conservatism imo, it's just that the status quo has shifted a lot from what the old reactionary conservatives were reacting to conserve

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bad news

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1349373633702076420?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
RIP TIG

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rip Tig and Panic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S_aOF_1Q0Y

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's too much focus on the "oval office mates who hosed over poor people" relative to the "bunch of cunts (who) gave a bung".

This wasn't a sneaky contractor doing a shifty. It's rotten to the core and the perfect crystalisation of the rank problem of cronysism

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

so why did you start it in the first place

Are you loving marking my homework for what was obviously - and which I explicitly said in a reply - was a throwaway joke? Fucks sake.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I tell you what there's space in the guillotine for both their necks

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

pouring out a 40 of semi skimmed for my big boy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

It really is end of history brain poisoning. The belief that "nothing is actually happening" even as things happen is just mind blowing to me.
Being end of history during Brexit is one thing, being end of history during a pandemic that's being terribly mismanaged even by the standards of pandemics a century ago is quite amazing and requires similar levels of detachment to a David Icke or similar.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Being end of history during Brexit is one thing, being end of history during a pandemic that's being terribly mismanaged even by the standards of pandemics a century ago is quite amazing and requires similar levels of detachment to a David Icke or similar.

People just refuse to believe it "It'll all go back to normal soon" becomes no so much a thing said as a desperate mantra.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/ChristianMiners/status/1349099213699874819?s=20

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

CoolCab posted:

as i predicted at the time, they did, after it would make any difference. the guardian in particularly very performatively broke corbyn, like two days before the election.

i am wildly disinterested in trying to specifically diagnose what happened on friday the thirteenth because being excessively focused on one element can lead to you missing the forest for the trees - like saying, oh the red wall collapsing did it, ignoring that it was the social democrats in question who forced the party into a wildly unpopular and loving stupid political position, including jack monroe personally which caused the red wall to collapse.

this is really important for understanding what happened - everyone who wants to keep their cushy left supported media gig will tell you how, well actually, i was always for corbyn and all those times i wrote articles about how they were going to enact sausage communism and have our grandparents shot was actually me expressing frustration with how corbyn was acting, allowing as he did all those articles about how they were going to enact sausage communism etc etc

This is a very good explanation, thanks.

A big challenge for the left in the UK is going to be avoiding this happening again and I’m not sure how.

Labour is destruction testing the theory that if you run someone with no discernible personality at all, at least nobody will hate them, maybe? But to make that work you need popular extremists making a loud noise so that the leader can be the safe alternative.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UK deaths top 100,000

Weren't we at 60,000, like, last week? It feels like last week.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I think it was 80000 last week.

Still pretty :stare: though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

UK deaths top 100,000

Weren't we at 60,000, like, last week? It feels like last week.

1000 dead a day will do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

1000 dead a day will do that.
Centrist FactCheck: The 7-day moving average is only 986 dead a day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Centrist FactCheck: The 7-day moving average is only 986 dead a day.

I'm sure I can find 14 smartarses to solve that problem.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gently caress me I thought predictions were 100k by the end of jan. Not the middle!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know where that 100k number is coming from considering Worldometer is at 84,767 + today's 1564.

e: And the gov.uk tracker. Are they openly admitting the normal numbers are supressed and racing to report on the big number asap to spook people into behaving or what like with the variant?

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i still think we need prominent journalists to get covid and die of it for the media to maybe actually bother to cover it properly. ideally peston and laura k

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i still think we need prominent journalists to get covid and die of it for the media to maybe actually bother to cover it properly. ideally peston and laura k

The Prime Minister was literally in ICU with it, what makes you think anything else will make them move the needle anywhere other than "Blame someone they saw in a park" for it?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Szmitten posted:

I don't know where that 100k number is coming from considering Worldometer is at 84,767 + today's 1564.

e: And the gov.uk tracker. Are they openly admitting the normal numbers are supressed and racing to report on the big number asap to spook people into behaving or what like with the variant?

Might be official count vs. excess deaths?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
85,000 excess deaths last year plus a thousand dead a day this year would come to about 100,000 total

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Prime Minister was literally in ICU with it, what makes you think anything else will make them move the needle anywhere other than "Blame someone they saw in a park" for it?

yeah but he survived so its fine

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nice narrative sleight of hand here as the Guardian implies the Labour Party have done anything at all

The Guardian posted:

Fresh U-turn over free school meals as Labour criticises guidance on parcels

Ministers abandon ‘food parcel first’ policy as Labour slams official guidance on what packages should contain

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fresh U-turn over free school meals as man named Ken eats a toastie in Pocatello, Idaho!

Strangely, the Guardian style guide doesn't have an entry for the headline "as"...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

God, can you imagine the hagiography from their colleagues for Pesto or Laura K. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about the whitewash

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose posted:

i still think we need prominent journalists to ... die
Harsh, but fair

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

high impact reporting... with a lot to offer?