Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My first metal show was Symphony X at a long-gone dive in Brooklyn in 2004, we got there at like 8 and it turned out to be some mini-fest thing and SX went on stage at like 1:30AM

It was amazing and I still have the tour shirt I bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This was the first power metal song I ever heard and it made me absolutely lose my loving poo poo blaring out of a lovely boom box off an old worn out c-tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi-UoGDINE

like I'd heard some Megadeth and stuff through my friend before that, but nothing had really clicked. When this came on it was like flipping a goddamn switch. "Metalhead mode: OFF -> ON"

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My metal introduction was my neighbor playing ReLoad and various Rob Zombie CDs when we'd hang out and play football in the backyard or whatever, and then later when I actually got into music as a whole I found the title track to Master of Puppets on my sister's boyfriend's iPod and had my whole understanding of music changed in the first 30 seconds.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

This thread rules.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Is the son called Nemo? Where's Neeeeeemooooooooo?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nordick posted:

This was the first power metal song I ever heard and it made me absolutely lose my loving poo poo blaring out of a lovely boom box off an old worn out c-tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi-UoGDINE

like I'd heard some Megadeth and stuff through my friend before that, but nothing had really clicked. When this came on it was like flipping a goddamn switch. "Metalhead mode: OFF -> ON"

Speaking of Helloween, here's a song that I didn't like for a long time until one day I suddenly loved it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZubwEOUm8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wait what 8 new Gatecreeper tracks at midnight hell yeah

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ89r6AF5Yj/?igshid=qjp9eeyuw2us

art is sick

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

8 brand new songs available on LP, CD or tape. So.. an album?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

remigious posted:

I’m kind of shook about Marko leaving Nightwish :( I know they are a polarizing band but their music was the gateway to power metal for me, listening to their old albums feels like coming home. gently caress, I named my son after a nightwish song! Losing Marko is going to be a huge blow for them.

I literally came to this thread simply because I saw about Marko and wanted to see what goons feelings and thoughts were. For me I got into Nightwish from Planetside frag videos, and I still absolutely consider them to be my favorite band.

I stopped following them when Tarja left/was forced out (whatever there in terms of the details) because the new singer sucked but there's a few songs I'll cherry pick from the pre-Floor Jansen era and Marco's - The Islander is so good. He is for me the person that brings the most energy and recognizability to what was/is Nightwish beyond the lead singer spot. I was supposed to see them last year in CA and now this year for the virtual performance in March, and now no Marco :(

Also I'd like a large fry and thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

8 brand new songs available on LP, CD or tape. So.. an album?

Looks like an EP with some grindcore song lengths?
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Gatecreeper/An_Unexpected_Reality/915769

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

tangy yet delightful posted:

I literally came to this thread simply because I saw about Marko and wanted to see what goons feelings and thoughts were. For me I got into Nightwish from Planetside frag videos, and I still absolutely consider them to be my favorite band.

Also I'd like a large fry and thanks for coming to my ted talk.
I hear you friend. I’m sure Nightwish will persevere, as they always do, but it’s yet another End of an Era.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

remigious posted:

I hear you friend. I’m sure Nightwish will persevere, as they always do, but it’s yet another End of an Era.

Purposely filming the last concert of a tour they knew they would be kicking Tarja out from was such a dick move, I quite admire it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

EL BROMANCE posted:

Purposely filming the last concert of a tour they knew they would be kicking Tarja out from was such a dick move, I quite admire it.

That was stone cold, I’m pretty sure Tarja had no idea what was coming.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

It was all Metallica and Megadeth for me, it's all I knew about because it was pre-internet and if my friends didn't introduce it to me I didn't know it existed. Plus a little Sabbath because my dad had one of their CD's. Well, and Nirvana because I was in high school in 91 and everyone was listening to it.

Once I was over 18 and had more independence things spread out a bit, I found a music store that carried a lot of less mainstream stuff but after a while it turned out all I really care about is thrash.

Mostly the same here. Grew up mostly pre-internet so Black Album because of MTV, then Puppets, Lightning, and KIA from local indie CD swap shop. Then Megadeth from Peace to Youthanasia, then a break because I was dumb rear end and joined the Marines, then MAYH through Blackwater Park, Slayer’s Catalog, Arsis, and many others.

Now for some reason Sunn O))) and Satan Worshipping Doom are in constant rotation.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Dick Boat posted:

Naming my first child BOLT THROWER

This guy gets it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ShoogaSlim posted:

any power metal (or adjacent) with cool and good guttural vox?

i did not expect so many awesome replies. thanks, goons!

kumba posted:

Crimson Shadows is basically deathened power metal

while all the suggestions range from ok to pretty cool, this one is legitimately Sick™

Killingyouguy! posted:

Does everyone start at power metal then end up at black / death / etc metal or was that just weirdly common amongst my friend group

i started out listening to poo poo like Green Day and Everclear in grade school. graduated to Marilyn Manson (Antichrist Superstar is one of the best albums ever) and White Zombie in middle school. took a sharp turn into NYHC in high school when i started going to shows with the older kids who took me under their wing. some of my friends liked metal and i was into Cannibal Corpse, Machine Head and Fear Factory a bunch but that was about it. i was all about Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, 25 Ta Life, Candiria, and poo poo like that.

then God Forbid played a show i was at and showed me how good metal could be.

from there i really got into them and bands like Unearth, Darkest Hour, and Shadows Fall (Of One Blood is one of my favorite albums of all time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nELcZevFJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds_CmHQ0gDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZH6aKtHzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkgmjAL0t8

basically, if it's inspired by At the Gates or In Flames and caters a little to hardcore mosh warriors, i can't get enough. but i don't actually like At the Gates and only like maybe three In Flames songs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It took me years to realize what I wanted from bands I like, and looking at all the punk and metal I jammed a ton as kid it's apparently a lot of D-beats and skank beats.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gatecreeper - An Unexpected Reality
https://gatecreeper.bandcamp.com/album/an-unexpected-reality

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

only two songs in and it's already better than their entire last full length

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Ensiferum - Token of Time
Falconer - Lord of the Blacksmiths
Blind Guardian - Nightfall

The metal trifecta that got me into metal after the Punk Era of middle school.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Superspreader is the jam of the year.

A friend found this on Bandcamp:

"Metal, minus those boring verses, choruses and solos, thus leaving only the most metal of song components; riffs and slams."

https://gimlisonofgloin.bandcamp.com/releases

Also random Gimli samples and Nile/Bal-Sagoth style song titles.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 13, 2021

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They’re just trad in the vein of Manilla Road or Brocas Helm.

hey now, this is USPM erasure!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want more like that last Gatecreeper track, I like when fast bands do do slow songs.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

It's me, i'm the guy who got into metal by Metallica's black album

and ratm

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My reaction to hearing Dream Theater for the first time was basically what every nerd dreams of when they try to push their music on others

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dream Theater was probably my favorite band in high school but they started falling off a bit for me after Octavarium.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

remigious posted:

It's a real bummer that he's leaving, but primarily I'm just hoping he'll be okay. Dude sounds pretty spent.

That said I am worried for the band too. Marko left some pretty loving huge boots to fill.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think it was sophomore year of high school when i thought scenes from a memory was the greatest musical achievement of mankind

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is it too late to post "gently caress, I named my son Nymphomaniac Fantasia"

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Gio posted:

i think it was sophomore year of high school when i thought scenes from a memory was the greatest musical achievement of mankind

That was the first music CD I ever purchased for myself, good times.

I don't really listen to much Dream Theater these days but I put on Images and Words recently and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I have one gripe though, there's a part in Under a Glass Moon where James LaBrie screams the word "time" in a really weird way that I can't stand, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I too heard dream theatre in high school but only this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUHik5u7r8M

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Chiming to also say that the new GATECREEPER is really sick. Don't know why my phone autocorrected it to all caps but I'm rolling with it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Son, this is your teacher, Ms. Jones.

Ms. Jones, this is my son Stabwound.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird that the Gatecreeper release is saying November 2020. Threw me off when I was looking for it on the app.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Snowy posted:

I want more like that last Gatecreeper track, I like when fast bands do do slow songs.

They should do this exclusively and become a doom band, it's way better than the generic crap they've put out thus far.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Varg posted:

They should do this exclusively and become a doom band, it's way better than the generic crap they've put out thus far.

Isn't that just Spirit Adrift

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the last song on the gatecreeper album is the worst song by farrrrrrr

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Nazzadan posted:

Isn't that just Spirit Adrift

kinda but I think they're just ok too, so mix the death a bit more with the doom and then they might win me over

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That's how many pages talking about the cheesiest power metal, and not a single Manowar video?

For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4QhsYy-I0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because the question was for cheesy European power metal. :v:

Thigh to be fair I didn't personally verify that every band posted was euro, but manowar definitely isn't.