Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The last round I played last year was high 20s and in a huge rain + hailstorm at circling raven in idaho. The 3rd hole is a highly elevated par 3 that's normally ~200 yards downhill but ends up being true to the yardage since you're just sitting out on the open plains getting the wind blasted into you all round. I get to the hole and the course is getting absolutely blasted with weather. I tee my ball up and with all the wind and rain in my face end up having to pull driver for a maybe 190 yard shot, I check my line one last time and get hit in the eye with a big piece of hail, thankfully not sharp or else I'd be wearing an eyepatch for life. I have to hit my shot with my left eye closed and end up topping it into the hazard. Then they blew the horn so I at least got a raincheck out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

The last round I played last year was high 20s and in a huge rain + hailstorm at circling raven in idaho. The 3rd hole is a highly elevated par 3 that's normally ~200 yards downhill but ends up being true to the yardage since you're just sitting out on the open plains getting the wind blasted into you all round. I get to the hole and the course is getting absolutely blasted with weather. I tee my ball up and with all the wind and rain in my face end up having to pull driver for a maybe 190 yard shot, I check my line one last time and get hit in the eye with a big piece of hail, thankfully not sharp or else I'd be wearing an eyepatch for life. I have to hit my shot with my left eye closed and end up topping it into the hazard. Then they blew the horn so I at least got a raincheck out of it.

lmao I love this

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

Wintergolf.txt

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone see any of the tournament of champions? DeChbeau is just going full Goku and it’s hilarious.

He hit driver / 7 iron on the 18th hole(675 yards I think). That’s the hole bubba hit driver / driver awhile back . He had 270 to the hole after his drive and hit a 7 iron, it’s amazing.

They interviewed him and he’s been training with a long drive dude, the same dude who hit a 300 yard 8 iron and posted it on Instagram a little while back.

He said he’s learned a lot about how to push himself, and he trains hard until he’s about to pass out. He still wants to get longer, and ‘then I’ll turn my attention on putting and the wedges to see how to get better there’.

I used to think he was a tool, but he’s just obviously more willing to go super extreme than most of these tour players, I hope he starts winning even more.

He’s 10000x more interesting than generic white dude golfers who all hang out and go on spring break together but are totally wacky and hip.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I agree with most of that. Bryson is nothing if not fascinating to watch, which is also a good thing for professional golf in general.

I just wish he wasn't such an utter tool when it comes to things like getting his picture taken while playing professional golf on television. And it'd be nice if he played slightly faster than molasses.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait, he hit a 7 iron 270 yards? :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

He still wants to get longer, and ‘then I’ll turn my attention on putting and the wedges to see how to get better there’.

This is some Olympic level mental gymnastics. He basically wants to become those exhibition long drive nuts (fun as hell to watch, I'll freely admit) who never go on tour because what good is it to hit the ball 400 yards off the tee when they have zero touch elsewhere.

BCRock posted:

And it'd be nice if he played slightly faster than molasses.

This also kinda blows my mind. Guy can smash it straight past anyone but takes loving foooorrrrrreeeeevvvvvvveeeer to do it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't care if he uses telekinesis to fly the ball over to the green, he is tedious to watch and a douchebag to boot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I can appreciate a guy doing his damndest to find every loophole possible in the rulebook and experiment with some new ways to attack the game. But with him specifically, I'd rather read about it later, as opposed to watching it live.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Wait, he hit a 7 iron 270 yards? :stare:

To be fair the hole is completely down hill and there was a good 15-20mph wind behind him too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Yeah I can appreciate a guy doing his damndest to find every loophole possible in the rulebook and experiment with some new ways to attack the game. But with him specifically, I'd rather read about it later, as opposed to watching it live.

This. It's probably good that the game is being exposed by this kind of freak distance pursuit, but watching him play golf is not entertaining.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I don't care if he uses telekinesis to fly the ball over to the green, he is tedious to watch and a douchebag to boot.

:hmmyes:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kyle Berkshire is the long drive guy that Bryson was working with, and he has videos up on YouTube of it. Or maybe it’s on the GM Golf or GoodGood channels. He got Bryson to pick up like 5 mph of clubhead speed in one session.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 13, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shane Ryan has a neat dive into which stats mattered the most for players on tour

quote:

Right or wrong, though, the “putt for dough” idea is attempting to answer a question of critical importance for players: Which skill matters the most? Which specific aspect of golf has the greatest correlation to sustained success? And which elements are less important than we think?

To search for the answer, I reached out to Rick Gehman, founder of RickRunGood.com and a Golf Digest contributor. There are a few brilliant numbers guys in golf, and he’s one of them. As expected, he took the concept and blew it out of the water. In his words:

I’ve attached a sheet that looks at the 130 official PGA Tour stats and compares them for the 2020 season FedEx Cup Regular Season Points. With only one year, and a shortened one at that, there’s going to be more randomness than usual BUT I think the list certainly passes the eye test.

quote:

In particular, long approaches seem to be of some importance. Approaches from longer than 175 yards seem more correlated with success than anything on the green. Greens in regulation is hugely critical, coming in 16th.

• Scrambling matters, too. Not only is SG/around the green fifth overall, but scrambling itself (31st), sand-save percentage (35th), scrambling from the rough (44th) and scrambling from 10-20 yards (49th) are all relatively high.

• In the “Bryson was right” department, driving distance average (28th) is more closely correlated with success than driving-accuracy percentage (52nd).

Somewhat amazingly, putting didn't come anywhere near the top.

E: the whole list is here

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Maybe in their world. I still feel like your average joe is going to drop a hell of a lot of strokes learning how to putt. It's also the easiest thing to practice.

That said, gently caress Bryson. Idolize golfers you'd actually want to play with, not that grating dork.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The average player is going to drop way more strokes by being able to hit the fairway off the tee. The average player loses strokes by not being in the fairway at a rate that is far higher than strokes lost putting.

That doesn’t even necessarily mean just by hitting OB or water, even just being in the rough at the average course is a penalty.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Maybe not for the pros, because they are all incredible putters. There are almost no pros who putt badly. A 10% better putter for the pros means nothing.

For amateurs, being a good putter means the difference between being a 15 handicap and a 30+.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This analysis is garbage. The "brilliant numbers guy" did a simple regression for each of the 130 PGA Tour stats vs regular season FedEx Cup points. What this means is he's treating each stat in isolation--in other words, he's not looking at a complete player. It makes sense that someone who drives the ball longer would have better proximity to the hole on their approach shots, right? Well his analysis completely ignores that.

Furthermore, he doesn't normalize for number of events. He doesn't control for someone like prime Tiger who played in 15 events but had a top 20 every time vs someone who played in every event but barely made the cut.

If this was turned in as a high school stats project I would give it a D.

edit: That doesn't mean his conclusion is wrong but if he's right then he accidentally got the right answer.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 14, 2021

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

This analysis is garbage. The "brilliant numbers guy" did a simple regression for each of the 130 PGA Tour stats vs regular season FedEx Cup points. What this means is he's treating each stat in isolation--in other words, he's not looking at a complete player. It makes sense that someone who drives the ball longer would have better proximity to the hole on their approach shots, right? Well his analysis completely ignores that.

Furthermore, he doesn't normalize for number of events. He doesn't control for someone like prime Tiger who played in 15 events but had a top 20 every time vs someone who played in every event but barely made the cut.

If this was turned in as a high school stats project I would give it a D.

Preach brother!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, today was my worst winter golf weather. 28 degrees at tee, 12 mph winds gusting to 20. Played front 9 in just over an hour and man it was miserable but still great to be playing in sunshine. Back nine closed, so went around again from one tee back.temps got to mid 30s, wind died down, putting fell apart as the greens went from super fast but bumpy to slow and bumpy.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Ordered a Sub70 3 Hybrid today. Love that I could select literally everything about it that I wanted.

I’ll also be playing in at least 3 tournaments this year so I need to get back to practicing. I spend most of my day posting on the No Laying Up forum and the Texas members have organized a tournament at Pine Dunes in June so it’ll be Houston vs Austin/San Antonio vs Dallas. It’ll also have entries into the No Laying Up Invitational Tournament as some of the prizes so I’d really like to perform well there. Anyone here played Pine Dunes before?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Please let me know how the hybrid goes. I picked up the 5-pw set of the Sub70 699 Pro. Have not had a chance to try them yet but pretty excited.

Torgeaux, what courses have been open for you? Tried quite a few but most have been closed further north by me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Unknownmass posted:

Please let me know how the hybrid goes. I picked up the 5-pw set of the Sub70 699 Pro. Have not had a chance to try them yet but pretty excited.

Torgeaux, what courses have been open for you? Tried quite a few but most have been closed further north by me.

Played Saddle Rock today. Lone Tree last week. Both just front nine open. Fossil Trace has been open, but I haven't been on for a while.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/golfcentral/status/1350234082035314689?s=21

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Good, folks should hold themselves to a higher standard while playing a game mired in racism, sexism and homophobia. There's plenty of language to use in that situation, all of it better than what he chose.

Also ran my handicap for last year, 17.4! Yes! I'm officially a bogey golfer!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger had another microdiscectomy, he's going to miss the Farmers and Genesis Opens... and probably more tournaments I'd assume.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Rory said today Tiger actually had surgery on December 23rd and was back on his feet the next day so he’ll probably miss those couple of tournaments but I doubt he’s out for the Masters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN has a pretty good read on it. I didn't know Tiger and Notah Begay were buddies.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

ESPN has a pretty good read on it. I didn't know Tiger and Notah Begay were buddies.

They played together at Stanford and have been friends since.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Notah’s broadcasting career is basically the result of having a direct line to Tiger

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well I have learned something today!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

Well I have learned something today!

Really? I thought you were joking.

Notah never shuts up about being friends with Tiger. He mentions it like every 10 minutes when he's on a broadcast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Really? I thought you were joking.

Notah never shuts up about being friends with Tiger. He mentions it like every 10 minutes when he's on a broadcast.

The last time I actually watched a full golf broadcast was yeeearrrs ago, if I'm being honest. I've mostly followed from afar lately

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Notah knows omerta.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Notah’s broadcasting career is basically the result of having a direct line to Tiger

It surely didn't hurt but there are far less accomplished former pro golfers out there doing TV work, Brandel.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not for nothing but if you know what you're talking about and have more of a personality than most athletes (low bar, granted), even if you had a bad or mediocre career, I'm going to take you as a broadcaster 10 times out of 10 compared to the mega star with all the personality of a brick.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone else watch the Tiger documentary on HBO?

I have come away with a lot more sympathy for him than I had before.

But maybe more sympathy for some of the women in his life. Elin, Rachel, holy crap, the stuff they had to deal with from paparazzi....

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm like the last person that doesn't have HBO but I've heard it's very good

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

I'm like the last person that doesn't have HBO but I've heard it's very good

I wouldn’t say that when there are only 7 million people in the US that have HBO Max, it’s been an utter failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone else watch the Tiger documentary on HBO?

I have come away with a lot more sympathy for him than I had before.

But maybe more sympathy for some of the women in his life. Elin, Rachel, holy crap, the stuff they had to deal with from paparazzi....

It was ok, not much new information and no interviews with really anyone current.