Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
We have now officially passed the midpoint for this vote, deadline is in 23h (around 12 noon GMT/UTC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Shogeton posted:

Senator

Should you wish, the offer from our councilmember is still open. One coin for one power on an Aye vote. Much like rebuilding the mills, it is planting the seed of coin to reap the grain of trust.

Councilor

Accepted. House Daucus will vote Aye and spend 1 power in exchange for 1 coin from the honorable Dukes of Coden.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 12, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
[Witnessed!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 12, 2021

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Thanks! I edited to remove the accidental narrative dialogue that was copy-pasted from a previous post.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Edit: ignore me I'm a phoneposting dum dum!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 12, 2021

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

The honourable Shogeton is not the current Sitting Council member for House Cyfoeth! Although I guess TravelLog's post may be considered an offer if Sighence decides to accept it.

Sighence posted:

Councilmember

I'm all for cooperation in general, but let's build the trust first.

Offer: House Cyfoeth will pay one coin to any House willing to put one, and only one, vote on Aye.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

This seems like a really interesting game! I'm genuinely shocked I've somehow never heard of this one before. I'm glad senate seats are still open.

If you're still asking for top threes before assigning them, my preference would be towards Daucus, Cyfoeth, and Gambol in that order.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

eliasswift posted:

This seems like a really interesting game! I'm genuinely shocked I've somehow never heard of this one before. I'm glad senate seats are still open.

If you're still asking for top threes before assigning them, my preference would be towards Daucus, Cyfoeth, and Gambol in that order.

Welcome to the Dukes of Olwyn, eliasswift! Please send me an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com from your preferred comms method and I'll send you the link to House Daucus's private Sheet :)

Oh and by the way, if there was any doubt the signup is still open, although limited to the 5 Houses that form the Council.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 12, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Edit: im an idiot :v:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 13, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of King Harald V, Dilemma 2, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 3 Power(s), gains 1 Coin(s).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 3 Power(s), gains 1 Coin(s).

Votes Aye, bets 4 Power(s), spends 1 Coin(s).

Votes Aye, spends 1 Power(s), gains 1 Coin(s).

Votes Nay, bets 2 Power(s), gains 0 Coin(s).

The Ayes have it!
One Power token remains in the pot for the following Dilemma.

Vote Outcome posted:

Envelope opened: -
N/A.

Resources and Stability change:

Chronicle stickers:
N/A.
A simple outcome this time (potential sabotage aside), with the Stability swinging back and then up to the spot it was before - since the -2 Wealth was influenced by Momentum (and became -3), while the Welfare marker was showing its black side, so it moved exactly +3 upwards before flipping to white.

Reign of King Harald V, Dilemma 3

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Storyline:

- Sitting Councilmember: grandalt (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Jossar
- Treasurer/Navigator: C...

- Sitting Councilmember: Shogeton (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Quackles (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Bellmaker
- Treasurer/Negotiator: SporkChan

Dilemma3 posted:

Stakes:

A moral quandary...or maybe it's time to go realpolitik?

The Southern Continent posted:

Besides the coastal city-states, the southern continent is barely explored. The inland is apparently wholly occupied by a vast desert called the Ivory Desert, where no one can live, while a tall mountain range called the Nebula Mountains cross it from north to south, splitting it into two halves.

:siren::siren::siren:
A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that during this phase the thread is the main discussion platform - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing items on the sheet itself.
:siren::siren::siren:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 17, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, brother.

Right when we were like "we could use some wealth", too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

An almost spherical man, with a Sigil of house Cyfoeth on his breast

“And who are you, the proud lord said, That I must bow so low?” A fit of coughing shakes his body, forcing him to lean on a wall to steady himself.

“Mythical treasures? Meh. Our House cannot be arsed to deal with every little problem and fairy tale, we’re still busy reconstructing infrastructure. The other Houses will have to deal with this one, if they want our help they better help pay for those windmills. And they are bloody expensive.”

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Senator
*Rant removed*, pardon my French.

I urge the council to force this man to free his slave. Human beings should never be property.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Second Cousin Thrice Removed

Well isn't this dilemma quite a situation? We have a great opportunity to strengthen our kingdom's wealth and gain us access to the treasures of the past. But we also have a slave.

Now, I agree with the other councilors that the slave should be freed. However, we can't do so at this point in time. Every member of House Pinchay knows the value of hard work and we expect hard work to be rewarded, not... Punished in this way. Unfortunately, our citizens number greatly and this is a single woman. The math just doesn't add up.

I wish it were so but our people need trade deals more than this poor woman need freedom, as much as I wish it were so.

I support Nay as a vote and call on the sitting member to vote this way

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

*Rant removed*, pardon my French.

I've just realized I have not put a content disclaimer in the OP, apologies for that! This has now been fixed (and I should have probably done so in the first place).

Content Disclaimer posted:

This game is set in a fictional and often cruel fantasy world. It was designed to put you in front of morally challenging situations and tough choices. Many of the dilemmas you will face involve ethical and moral choices related tosensitive topics that could upset your sensitivity, such as injustice, violence, slavery, and discrimination. The game will occasionally put you in front of the uncomfortable choice between what you think is right, and what is best for winning.

Personal note: I will add that this is in no way an edgy game and the comparison with Games of Thrones are mostly related to the political backstabbing and alt history setting than anything gruesome/offensive. That said, there are depictions of slavery, war and discrimination so if the topics are a total no go for your tastes, please be advised!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Sitting Councilmember

Of what worth is the work of man
to harvest wealth from a distant land
and yet to find when he's grown old
on him is slapped a cuff of gold.

House Gambol dearly wishes that more could be done in this instance. However, given the limited options available to the Council, it will simply settle for sending the message that slavery, in all its forms, is not tolerated here.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Councilmember

Blowing up trade relations after all the expenses we've suffered in the hope to find some treasure, and getting one person out of slavery seems like a pretty sucky deal. I'm leaning towards a nay here, but I hold no love for slavery, so I'm not terribly invested in this. If other Houses feel very strongly about this, I encourage them to back their principle with coin, rather than words.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That Italian Guy posted:

I've just realized I have not put a content disclaimer in the OP, apologies for that! This has now been fixed (and I should have probably done so in the first place).

It was an in-character rant, no worries.

I mean, this is a late medieval - early renaissance backstab and frontstab court intrigue simulator. Ruling ain't easy or moral.

Jossar posted:

Sitting Councilmember

Of what worth is the work of man
to harvest wealth from a distant land
and yet to find when he's grown old
on him is slapped a cuff of gold.

House Gambol dearly wishes that more could be done in this instance. However, given the limited options available to the Council, it will simply settle for sending the message that slavery, in all its forms, is not tolerated here.

Cousin Vinnie is already calling dibs on the expedition to seek the Map. To quote the debate from yesterday's dinner: "Of course Morano is lying about the Map. Who cares, it's going to be an adventure, I've always wanted to ride a camel, the ship of the desert. Who wants to sail the desert with me?"

Good lad, bright future ahead of him, we need to support him.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Senator

As with the red iron, my general disposition is towards pursuing opportunities wherever they may come. This Golden Map may be the key to further prosperity, so if there's a possible lead, then by all means, we should pursue it by voting Nay. Slavery is a terrible thing. That should come without debate. This decision is purely, and grudgingly, based on material gain.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sitting Councilmember

This Morano is just another example of the degenerates that line our borders. They deny others the choice to worship The Great Mother and force them to focus on the material needs of their own survival and their owners' vile whims. Our people would be upset at the mere tolerance of this foul practice.

Also this Golden Map sounds like more foolishness, another concoction of whimsy by the so-called "City of Tents". Even if it does exist, messing with the past in such a way goes against ALL of The Great Mother's teachings.

Blessed be The Mother.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 13, 2021

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Senator

I strongly urge all my fellow nobles to put the idea of this "map" out of their heads. Whatever dangerous secrets hidden in these heretical "temple" ruins, they will only lead us towards disaster.

Blessed be the Mother.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Senator

"One" woman? Did my colleagues perhaps miss the fact that this "one" woman is amongst his samples of :barf: goods :barf:?
If we don't make clear that slavery is not accepted here, no matter what, then Ankist will de-facto legalize slavery. After all, a rich person could simply ask the City of Tents for a delivery of "goods" (:barf: ) and then what?

Buy the slave from Morano and free her, and make clear that any slaves entering Ankist WILL simply become free in the future. If this blows up the trade deal, :dealwithit: it wasn't worth it in the first place.

[ooc]
Am I the only one thinking the map is behind the aye decision?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Senator

Sigh. A true dilemma. I always fancied myself a treasure hunter. I would love to go and explore the sands for gold and jewels, but it is not to be. I shall write a poem about it later.

We must refuse slavery in all its forms. I propose to the sitting council member that house Gambol put in *2* of our own power, and offer house Cyfoeth two coins for two power.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Senator

While this may be but one slave, the message sent shall resonate through the lands: Slavery must not be tolerated!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Nea posted:

Senator

Sigh. A true dilemma. I always fancied myself a treasure hunter. I would love to go and explore the sands for gold and jewels, but it is not to be. I shall write a poem about it later.

We must refuse slavery in all its forms. I propose to the sitting council member that house Gambol put in *2* of our own power, and offer house Cyfoeth two coins for two power.

Senator
While I despise slavery on principle, our house is still recovering from the effort of providing food for our peasantry, being the only one who spent both coin and political capital to rebuild the mills*, while House Gambol spent the time gathering power and coin for their own benefit. It's time for others to shoulder the burden of governance and the betterment of the kingdom, as we have already done.

*OOC: Fine, House Daucus did spend one power. But I'm technically correct because we've spent both. :v:

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Fat Samurai posted:

Senator
While I despise slavery on principle, our house is still recovering from the effort of providing food for our peasantry, being the only one who spent both coin and political capital to rebuild the mills*, while House Gambol spent the time gathering power and coin for their own benefit. It's time for others to shoulder the burden of governance and the betterment of the kingdom, as we have already done.

*OOC: Fine, House Daucus did spend one power. But I'm technically correct because we've spent both. :v:

Navigator

This is a sensible position to hold, and understandable. It seems that no House is publicly rooting for human trafficking, so I will not jog the family purse around with much urgency.

In terms of 'where the map is', my instinct is to believe that a freed slave will be more forthcoming than a possessed one, but the true treasure is the slavery we opposed along the way.
Cousin Jossar has the right of it, and I appreciate the elegies of sorrow being shared for those in bondage.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Quackles posted:

Well then.

Mostly Accurate Senate Status Report
brought to you by House Daucus

Navigator

Now that I am in a position to make an impact:
I value the accuracy of your records of Coin and Power, and beseech you to continue to serve the kingdom by extending this benefit to the Council.
However, I would prefer the Agenda speculation be reserved to the privacy of your family's hallowed halls.

House Gambol will pay 1 Coin to House Daucus to modify their Status Reports to not speculate on Agendas.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Seat Snorer

We must think of our own people first. Blowing up a trade deal over someone not our own does some harm to many, where now great harm is done to one. I urge my fellows to think before directing the carriage over five to avoid one.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Sighence posted:

Seat Snorer

We must think of our own people first. Blowing up a trade deal over someone not our own does some harm to many, where now great harm is done to one. I urge my fellows to think before directing the carriage over five to avoid one.

Navigator

I fear the legacy this small acceptance of cruelty will pass on to future generations. The tradeoff always seems small in the short-term, but we establish a precedent that will reverberate through this Kingdom for generations. I would prefer we hand our descendants a Kingdom that is fiscally bankrupt rather than morally bankrupt.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Councilmember

Also, to avoid confusion. As I understand it, an AYE vote is to liberate the slave, gaining us the opportunity to find the map, at economic cost as we lost these trade contacts, since they obviously will not return to people who, in their backwards views, have committed theft. a NAY vote is to maintain good trade relations and reap economic benefits, leave the slave to her fate, and forego the opportunity to find this map.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

I think I speak for all my assembled Lords when I voice a great loathing for the institution of slavery, as none should be forced into a life of servitude, barring their service to The Mother of course. *Nods to the members of House Lethe* However, I hold little belief in this Golden Map and wonder if such wouldn't simply be the peddling of a merchant who wants to make their goods seem more exotic. Searching in the desert on some fool's journey for some lost city or treasure seems a good way to die parched and penniless, things I personally hold no desire to do.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

scavy131 posted:

Searching in the desert on some fool's journey for some lost city or treasure seems a good way to die parched and penniless, things I personally hold no desire to do.

Worry not, house Gambol has plenty of volunteers for an adventure.

Actual volunteers, that's not an euphemism.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Senator

This merchant is obviously lying. Traveling peddlers are infamously boastful about their supposed "adventures"; he no doubt heard of this temple in some idle rumor and decided that tales of it would draw interest in his wares. Have one of the guards direct him to the marketplace, where he belongs.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

megane posted:

Senator

This merchant is obviously lying. Traveling peddlers are infamously boastful about their supposed "adventures"; he no doubt heard of this temple in some idle rumor and decided that tales of it would draw interest in his wares. Have one of the guards direct him to the marketplace, where he belongs.

Senator

While I'd usually be inclined to agree with the honorable member from House Lethe, I must remind that this council has acted on more outlandish claims from even less reputable sources in the past. Does the Scarlet Tide, the symbol of our army, something which was received by provenance from smugglers not suggest that there be some glimmer of truth to these claims as well?

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator

With a loud thump, a red iron dagger is stabbed into one of the tables in the debate chamber. Holding onto the handle is a young senator, one whose tan and strong build betray his time working outside, perhaps gasp with the peasantry!?

"Do you remember where we got this red iron from?" He looks around the chambers, "Smugglers. Criminals. Illegitimate means, all things considered. And now they're treasures, the few swords we were able to make from it are now being paraded around on our military's hips and backs. If we free this woman, we are saying that we'll do trade with criminals, but not with legitimate businessmen who happen to come from a land that supports a vile practice."

"Now... I for one am okay with saying that." He makes his way towards the center of the room. "But we have to make sure we are ready for the consequences. This MAY be ruined trade agreements. A hit on the wealth of the nobles. Something I, honestly, don't quite mind personally, as long as my people are fed. BUT there may be military consequences. You spit in someone's face and tell them their land is backwards and vile, and they may just want to show you how vile their land is."

"In fact, if you're the one at the head of this debate, they may see your family as the one responsible for this personal. Do you want that coming back on your family?" He looked seriously around the room, trying to make sure everyone got the implications. Then he smiled.

"Just a thought."

[OOC/non binding bargaining since I'm not the person in charge]

So, because this is a legacy game and things can bite you in the rear end, I have two fears.
1: That there's going to end up some cards that will say, "If X Resource is </>/= Y, thing happens." And that pissing people off will lead to "If your military is weak, get screwed in XYZ ways."
2: That there's going to end up some cards that will say, "House that signed X card, have extra consequences." I don't want the military of the City of Tents coming in and hitting everyone, but then "House that signed Dilemma 3's outcome, the City of Tents people find your homes, kill all your chickens, mechanically take all your gold, and then take a dump in your wine casks."

So, I put forth the hypothetical bargaining for Quackles and the rest of House Daucus to think on:
Default state: Abstain to gather power

Negotiations: Voting Aye or Nay in return for a future vote to up Influence.
Voting Aye with enough Power to be declared leader for this vote in return for a negotiable amount of Gold.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

How does bargaining for signing rights work, again? If that was a thing one wanted to do.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Nea posted:

How does bargaining for signing rights work, again? If that was a thing one wanted to do.

OOC: Edit:Disregard my previous comments, That Italian Guy answers definitively below.

scavy131 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 13, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Edit: Yeah, no.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 13, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

From the OP

Also from the OP (section on bargaining):

quote:

Bargaining: during the Voting phase, Houses can freely bargain and make arrengements. It is not possible to directly trade Power Tokens or the Moderator or Leader role, but you can trade Coins for Favors. For example, you could ask another Councilmember to vote on your side, or even ask them to Pass instead of joining the vote. You could also “buy the right” to Sign something from the Leader, or you could pay the Moderator to break a tie in your favor. A public agreement supersede the secret vote if they are different.
That specific line is actually verbatim from the game's manual :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

D'oh, edited to remove confusion, sorry :v: