Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Al Ewing is really going all in on the King in Black tie-ins. S.W.O.R.D. was a fun way to use the event as a pretense for showing his team in action, and Immortal Hulk I'm not sure about. Maybe I'm misreading but it seems like he's tying Knull into the overall sweep of his narrative in a pretty fundamental way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Al Ewing is really going all in on the King in Black tie-ins. S.W.O.R.D. was a fun way to use the event as a pretense for showing his team in action, and Immortal Hulk I'm not sure about. Maybe I'm misreading but it seems like he's tying Knull into the overall sweep of his narrative in a pretty fundamental way?

The Immortal Hulk one shot tie-in came off more like a small Christmas issue that happened to have a symbiot. Not really following what you mean in the spoilers, despite just reading both Immortal Hulk and SWORD, but maybe I missed something.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

How Wonderful! posted:

I guess the red text could be a Knull reference but I didn't read it that way initially and I expect there would have been more visual cues if that was the case.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think the reason we got that one shot was to do a tie in without having to interrupt this 4 year story arc's climax.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's green, not black.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I gusss Marauders is getting a King In Black one shot by Duggan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Quote button is not edit button dumb tablet

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I guess the red text could be a Knull reference but I didn't read it that way initially and I expect there would have been more visual cues if that was the case.

That's how I read it but having thought about it some more I was probably very wrong.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

Just read it, how do you mean?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

That's how I read it but having thought about it some more I was probably very wrong.

I assumed it was the One Below All taking over/merging with the Leader, implying maybe that's how the Hulk becomes the universe-ending threat from #25

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

Just read it, how do you mean?

I thought the One Below All was revealed to be Knull because I'm a doofus who read comics before coffee.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah okay lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
knull is only the one below all in the sense of him being worse and less interesting than other villains.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked Jackie implying that if she had gamma powers she'd have smashed (no not like that) the dude that wanted her to do listicles.

(Also he's totally someone important, right? We never saw his face and I feel like they wouldn't do that just for the 'faceless corporate drone' thing)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Got an excellent deal on Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus 1 today and I’m looking forward to finally reading it. Yes, I know it’s technically DC but Jack Kirby is not.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1349738091485999105
Hottest hero of the 90's you say?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I can't be too mad at Danny Fingeroth getting a paycheck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is the biggest lie anyone's ever told.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

the hottest hero of the '90s will always be Nightcat

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darkhawk has long been a personal favorite of mine so I welcome any chance to read more. The stuff from Sims and Bowers during Infinity Countdown was really good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, there's no way Darkhawk debuted 30 years ago

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrCIvw8DRQ

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

You're right. This Sleepwalker erasure WILL NOT STAND.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

This is a grave insult to Slapstick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like Darkhawk needs a little something extra to his costume to make it really top notch. Maybe something that emphasizes or highlights the crystal. Especially since at first glance with the wings and helmet and claws it has the look of an amalgam hero.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe if we had an event where everyone gets a crystal and is darkhawked out

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Darkhawk was the only comic I got as a kid that wasn't a licensed one. The other ones were Uncanny X-Men 300, the Adventures of the X-Men (or whatever that one was that was just an adaptation of the cartoon show), a random Robocop comic, and some Darkhawk comics for some reason.

Also the Fish Police trade for some reason.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Splint Chesthair posted:

This is a grave insult to Slapstick.

:hmmyes:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I just want you to know that I'm making a list. Darkhawk is actually very cool and very good.

radlum
May 13, 2013

X-O posted:

Darkhawk has long been a personal favorite of mine so I welcome any chance to read more. The stuff from Sims and Bowers during Infinity Countdown was really good.

I'm kind of dissapointed that Sims and Bowers aren't involved in this comic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Night thrasher thinks Tony hawk looks a lot like Tony hawk when

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was going to defend the 90s thing because Darkhawk was part of Marvel's HEROES FOR THE '90S promotional push and if you debut in 1990 you do have a narrow window to be the Hottest Hero of the 1990s.

But all of that falls apart because Darkhawk launched almost a year later in 1991.

HEROES FOR THE '90S were, for the record:
1. The New Warriors
2. Ghost Rider (the new Danny Ketch one)
3. Guardians of the Galaxy (the original 30th century ones, updated for the 3090s by Jim Valentino)
4. Robocop in a licensed comic to tie into Robocop II
5. Namor, back as a big businessman written and drawn by John Byrne
6. Spider-Man, except now Todd McFarlane is writing AND drawing him!

So I mean even Darkhawk would qualify as maybe the 3rd Hottest New Hero of the 1990s based on this competition?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love Darkhawk. It was a great moment for little me when he teamed up with the New Warriors.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The hottest hero of the 90s was Spawn. There is no debate about this. At least if we're talking about heroes created in the 90s, like Darkhawk. Otherwise it's probably the X-Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was definitely Nightwatch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

You're right. This Sleepwalker erasure WILL NOT STAND.

Can't deny this as Sleepwalker #2 debuted the hottest villain of the '90s and beyond.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just realized Darkhawk is not Shadowhawk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I just realized Darkhawk is not Shadowhawk.

You can't actually prove that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I just want you to know that I'm making a list. Darkhawk is actually very cool and very good.

It specifically says "hottest", that implies popularity and commercial success. Even if "of the 90s" is supposed to exclude all the late 80s creations who became monstrously popular in the 90s, it's still a horrendous lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Rhyno posted:

You can't actually prove that

Is he Nighthawk?