Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Almost all tier lists, ESPECIALLY ones for this game, are dumb. Constellations offer such a widely varying degrees of usefulness that makes them just not work.

Like, when I started the game, I didn't draw a 5*, but I saw Fischl was SS tier so I stuck with it. Way later on down the road I realized way too late that that's really only if you have her C6. Not that she isn't extremely good anyway, but the thing that led me to believe as a new player that she may as well count as a 5* and I was good to keep playing was a dumb tier list.

I'm really happy with my account, but in the back of my mind, it bugs me that had I started over and made sure to roll a 5* I'd have 1) had a much better time of early game and 2) have an extra 5* right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean that list and most others specify if a certain constellation level is what makes the character worthy of that tier

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The only tier list that matters is the tier list in your heart (Jean is the best and I still want Qiqi and am jealous of everyone pulling her constellations even if they aren't great).

Also: Kaeya bottom tier hard carry? List is sus.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 13, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

that tier list makes it seem like some characters have different chins in this game and I'm not sure I believe it.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Almost got all of the characters I think I will use to level 60 or level 70 (Only 1 80). Depending on the last talent I pushed a few to the next ascension but left them at level 60. I just don't have the mats to get everyone to 60/70 at the moment so I am focusing on the top 10 I know I will use.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Level a character if you'll use them now. It doesn't become harder to level characters later on and there isn't a reason to level speculatively.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

a bunch of those lower tiers are probably characters he doesn't really care about or hasn't thought about in a while (people started evaluating kaeya way higher when the cryo set was added). the best tier lists are always the ones with math to back them up, because unless the game is extremely simplistic your gut reaction will never be better than an incredibly specific strategy devised by an autistic man.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Tae posted:

Ning is the true op character when 1.3 comes

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Sweet, pulled Ganyu on literally my first pull of the banner!

I was still trying to get Albedo until the very end, so it's like I just barely missed him :/

Oh well, at least I have an OP ice rocket launcher goat girl!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tae posted:

Ning is the true op character when 1.3 comes

unless the -15% res from geo resonance triples her damage I don't see her jumping ahead of Ganyu

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Does anyone know if the Blizzard Strayer 2pc benefits the crit chance of the attack that initially applies cryo, or is it only followup attacks?

Fur20 posted:

im honestly relieved to be done with bounties. my final one today was in the haunted forest behind qingce village, and my hint points alternated between being at the top of the mountain and the bottom of the mountain :shepicide:

I'd just like to take a moment to bitch about the teleport point in that haunted forest, where I aggro and am attacked by a lightning fly before I even finish loading in every single time.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Vargs posted:

Does anyone know if the Blizzard Strayer 2pc benefits the crit chance of the attack that initially applies cryo, or is it only followup attacks?

the wording implies that they have to already be affected by Cryo for the extra crit chance to apply. so, if you're just shooting with Ganyu without proccing any reactions, everything except the very first shot gets the extra crit.

of course this game has had issues with wording in the past so it could work differently internally

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not unconditional 20% crit rate for cryo damage. That would be a bit op.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Doesn't the initial hit apply cryo which would give the frost flake the buff must of the time?

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

For what it's worth, if a frostflake arrow applies cryo/freeze, then the bloom AOE damage from it WILL get the boosted crit rate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Framboise posted:

I have no idea how anyone is 100% done with rep stuff already. I've maxed everything out that I possibly can, as far as I know, and I still am about 80 points short of maxing out Mondstadt (I did all of Liyue's rep stuff first).

Yeah, I don't know how it would be possible. I've maxed out everything short of the first one or two bounties doing the 60/80 ones by mistake and having one or two quests missing, so I should only be 60-80 short of what you could maximally have by now, and I have something like 200+ points left in Mondstadt.

Joink posted:

Make money?

I'm here watching a twitch yesterday when the Ganyu banner came out and the guy had 200k yes 200,000 primogems ready to go. Gotta get that C6 Ganyu.

Meanwhile I'm the equivalent of the commercial with the girl buying a chocolate bar with her favorite doll and toy because broke. :saddowns:

Selling my grandma's wedding ring to a pawn shop to get primos

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 13, 2021

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
What artifact sets you guys running with Ganyu? Is the strayer 4 piece the best overall?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vargs posted:

I'd just like to take a moment to bitch about the teleport point in that haunted forest, where I aggro and am attacked by a lightning fly before I even finish loading in every single time.

Only if the enemy is affected by cryo already. Its why the set isnt very good for Chong while its very good for Kaeya.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

AshtonDragon posted:

For what it's worth, if a frostflake arrow applies cryo/freeze, then the bloom AOE damage from it WILL get the boosted crit rate.
Correct. The bloom can also trigger separate reactions, as it seems to count not as a second hit of the Frostflake Arrow but as an independent damage source with its own reactions, etc.

Also a note on Sucrose Carry: Each of her attack types has a separate internal cooldown on causing Swirl. If using her for that purpose you need to make sure to weave Charged Attacks and Skill/Burst uses in between her normals. Each has a roughly 1.5s ICD but they all run independently so tapping attack, then holding it, then tapping skill will result in 3 consecutive Swirls. You can rotate like that and have extremely high uptime, which with Fischl will also mean constant A4 triggers as an Electro Swirl is an Electro reaction.

There is a good chance that Carry Sucrose wants DPS gear over EM due to her high field presence and the unlikelihood that anyone other than her will proc a reaction. So probably Crit, Anemo, ATK. Don't run crit stats if running hard EM though since Swirl can't crit (but know the Anemo hit that triggers Swirl can). Fischl in particular does a lot more raw damage than she tends to do reaction damage, and Xingqiu will almost never trigger reactions when Sucrose is involved, and tests have shown Sucrose does more damage herself with DPS gear, so EM sharing setups are almost always gonna be for Vaporize/Melt teams instead. Remember, she doesn't buff her own EM.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Mang Tomas posted:

What artifact sets you guys running with Ganyu? Is the strayer 4 piece the best overall?

probably 2 glad / 2 blizzard will be all around better than 4 blizzard (at least thinking about abyss, because you might not be able to put a hydro unit into the team.) on floors where you run hydro you could swap to 4 blizzard, and floors where you can run pyro you can swap to wanderer (assuming you have venti/sucrose and want to make the investment.)

if you have all the required pieces wanderer will probably be the best, but it isn't as easily farmed and is a pretty niche set otherwise

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know it seems kinda silly to complain considering how busted she is otherwise but is Ganyu's skill like...bad? I feel like it keeps the enemy taunted for a split second and then they run off or switch over to me.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
She has an E?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I know it seems kinda silly to complain considering how busted she is otherwise but is Ganyu's skill like...bad? I feel like it keeps the enemy taunted for a split second and then they run off or switch over to me.
It's bad, but the energy generation on it is actually decent so you'll want to use it when you have an opportunity.

Mang Tomas posted:

Depends. If your only plan with her is to melt her charged shots Wanderer's is easily best. I'm hoping for 4 blizzard strayer because I don't see myself reacting that much with her and her Q damage benefits a whole lot from 4 blizzard (probably even more than it would benefit from 2 blizzard 2 noblesse). The thoughts on this will change as Ganyu play patterns/comps develop over the next few weeks.

Tbh I think 4strayer is only not the pick in very focused melt comps (or vs slimes but who cares) simply because 4strayer is so so good with what her Q does. Focused melt comps may end up being tryhard optimal for her, but I don't see myself using them that much.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 13, 2021

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Melt comps seem impossible to use unless you decide to never, ever press her E or Q.

I just want a set that gets the Blizzard Strayer 2pc and Wanderer 4pc.

2pc Gladiator seems really unappealing since I'm already using Prototype Crescent at refinement 4. +18% ATK is such an incredibly tiny drop in the bucket when I'm getting +104% from that (113% when I get another refine), plus an ATK% artifact, plus ATK% substats.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 13, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vargs posted:

Melt comps seem impossible to use unless you decide to never, ever press her E or Q.

I just want a set that gets the Blizzard Strayer 2pc and Wanderer 4pc.

You should def press your Q if its a lot of mobs sucked into a venti pyronado.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vargs posted:

That's basically accurate, which is why I wouldn't gear for it. It sounds unfun.

Strayer is honestly a blessing as is, it effectively gives the Lavawalker 4-piece bonus merged with the crimson witch 2-piece. PLUS I get to farm the Tartaglia hydro set at the same time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://streamable.com/gx9jqq

You don't even need to melt comp. Not shown is him also breaking his shield before his first flyby.

She's probably the best boss killer imo.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Some numbers on EM Sucrose (Sac Frags + EM/EM/EM) vs. Carry Sucrose (Skyward Atlas + CR%/Anemo%/ATK%), C6 and L9 skills (L12 for E/Q) presumed:

EM Sucrose: Can do an average of 2514 damage on an attack string, 2008 on a charged attack, Swirls for 2583. Skill does 4152 with a 2583 Swirl. Burst does DoT ticks of 2909, infused ticks of 747(ish), Swirls for 2583. Buffs party EM by roughly 211 (+50 on a Swirl). Assuming various things you don't need to worry about it's a personal DPS of around 5753, which is pretty bad but Sucrose as a carry is more about enabling XQ and Fischl (and Beidou or Lisa or Bennett or whoever). How often that 251 EM is helping either of them is questionable.

Carry Sucrose: Can do an average of 10726 damage on an attack string, 8567 on a charged attack, Swirls for 1217. Skill does 17714 with a 1217 Swirl. Burst does DoT ticks of 12413, infused ticks of 2465(ish), Swirls for 1217. Buffs party EM by roughly 23 (+50 on a Swirl). Similar DPS calculations (other than a longer assumed CD on the Skill because of the loss of Sacrificial Fragments' CD reset effect) leads to a personal DPS of 11228 which is borderline respectable (equivalent to a similarly-geared Diluc swinging his attack combo over and over, doing only Physical damage with Crimson Witch on, so not amazing or anything).

Sucrose with Venti-style DPS gear is doing almost twice the damage output in a carry role because she's not just dropping a Swirl and tagging out, so the question is how much a difference of up to 188 EM sharing makes for Fischl and whoever else is doing off-field damage for Sucrose to Swirl. If you were to give 188 EM to Diluc it could push his damage on each hit of his Skill by 14k, which sounds like far more than the gain to Sucrose from DPS gear... but we're not dealing with Diluc Vaporize here, we're dealing with, at best, Fischl/XQ Electro-Charged (if they even manage to pull it off without Sucrose Swirling away the elements entirely).

So dumb math, the damage for Electro-Charged at lv90 is something like
code:
(1+(EM%/100))*DMGbase
and at 0 EM and lv90 it's basically just 1171, the lowest possible value (it ticks twice but that's not really important here and sometimes applying reactions too fast cancels the second tick of Electro-Charged anyway). Give Fischl/XQ the worst case +23 EM and it's 1282. Give them the best case +251 EM and it's 2342. The difference in Sucrose setups is 5475 DPS, so you basically need to be triggering Electro-Charged twice per second to make up for this (technically I left out VV resist shredding but I don't think it's going to change it from needing two procs per second).

tl;dr If doing the Sucrose Carry build to amp off-field damage dealers, build her the way you'd build Venti with ATK% Sands (if running Bennett swapping to ER or EM is viable), Crit Circlet, and Anemo Goblet. If you're using her for transformative reactions in general, you should probably also build her for DPS as her personal damage output is hurt more than she'll amp those reactions. If you're using her to amplify Melt/Vaporize, that's when you want to stack EM on her; she can boost the DPS of Diluc/Klee by up to 6k or so just by swapping in and Swirling occasionally, which is far more than she'd do staying on the field for any length of time.

Kild posted:

She's probably the best boss killer imo.
To be fair, Bow characters always were due to the advantages of being able to hit Dvalin/Andrius in phases where they're not in melee range and the fact Childe's AI shits its pants and doesn't know what to do when he's shot at by a character that is side-strafing slightly in a circle around him. I've been using Tartaglia to cheese all the bosses for the longest time using Aimed Shot-heavy strategies and the bosses just aren't built to punish you for not engaging up close.

Although isn't Andrius immune to Cryo? But Dvalin isn't and neither of Childe's big resistance buffs are Cryo so she's tops there.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 13, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Skyward Atlas with level 9 talents.... seems ambitious. Even with solar pearl and level 7 talents it looks like the damage gear would still come out ahead though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 13, 2021

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

Skyward Atlas with level 9 talents.... seems ambitious.
It's the ceiling (well L10 talents is the ceiling); three perfect EM Venerer artifacts are extremely rare too but no reason not to assume those as well if we're looking at the best Sucrose can possibly do. Also note I didn't factor in the Atlas proc at all, which would do quite a bit more damage. Widsith isn't really that much behind anyway but I don't like modeling Widsith due to its incredibly inconsistent buff.

If your point is that the viability of EM Sucrose depends largely on whether you can get 5* EM artifacts for each slot and on her level and not on her talent levels, while DPS Sucrose needs to build up her personal damage output to exceed what EM Sucrose can do with Swirls, that's true; EM Sucrose is much easier to build if the artifacts drop. However, it really doesn't take a lot of investment in VV DPS artifacts for her to start outdamaging it on a personal level.

Basically if you're in a position where you have both sets of gear, the EM set should be swapped in only when working with Vaporize or Melt teams. That's the ultimate point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

Tbh I think 4strayer is only not the pick in very focused melt comps (or vs slimes but who cares) simply because 4strayer is so so good with what her Q does. Focused melt comps may end up being tryhard optimal for her, but I don't see myself using them that much.

Eagerly awaiting whether this works out in non-whale scenarios because (assuming no Venti/Mona) this makes it sound like the optimal group for her is... her. E->Q, charge shot spam, repeat. Include the BP bow for hoovering into a single focal point for her ult. People complain about Diluc being boring but doing ridiculous damage without a team just shooting over and over sounds like a weird oversight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It may be the opposite. It's so hard and awkward to get synergy going with her charged shots that they just made them completely overpowered independently. Like if her charged shot hit for a sane amount of damage she would be garbage as a DPS because she doesn't have convenient reaction setups.

Even if Ganyu ends up being the DPS in the highest theoretical damage comp it's not like she's going to invalidate all other units. She already sucks on the current 12-3.

As for her interaction with Venti Q, well, the genie's out of that bottle already and you can assume that floors relevant to that are already trivial with Venti.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 13, 2021

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

After playing around with her for awhile I think I've decided on what to do with Ganyu. Gonna go with the Wanderer set. Plugging it into a dps calculator, I end up doing very similar charged shot/frostflake damage with Wanderer + crit rate circlet vs Blizzard + crit damage circlet (using cryo, not freeze). Difference being that Wanderer is more reliable and has a questionably useful EM bonus, while Blizzard is far more beneficial for her Q and E but the 4pc doesn't work for the initial hit, or against enemies with innate elements, or if you've stripped cryo with another reaction. Helps that I already have some okay Wanderer artifacts while RNG has been brutally disappointing while farming Blizzard ones so far.

Prototype Crescent bow. It seems pretty good and I like that it incentivizes hitting crit spots which is a more interesting way to play imo. The fact that I have this at refinement 4 solidifies this decision.

Team is Ganyu-Venti-Qiqi-Diluc.

Venti is a given.

Qiqi for cryo resonance and heals. Taking her over Diona since a lot of what Diona does is made superfluous by Ganyu and I value super heals a bit more than shields, even though shields would be quite nice for not getting interrupted while charging. I was considering using Bennett in the healer slot but I find the small circle a little limiting in a way that it hasn't been with other characters. Ganyu really wants to be moving away from enemies and strafing around most of the time.

Diluc because I can't really find anyone who works super well with Ganyu for reactions, so he's in because he's strong against the pretty significant number of enemies that Ganyu has a very hard time dealing with (cryo slimes, cryo resist enemies, anything holding a shield). I can swap to him every now and then for his skill/burst to take advantage of all of the melt, as well as make a pyro-based Venti ult to actually get Ganyu melt reactions. Pyro is the element most useful for open world stuff and he can mine ore. I also just kinda like having one character on my team who makes a good backup carry if my main eats poo poo. Xinyan could sorta fill this role too while supplying shields, but she seems so, so much worse than Diluc for dealing damage, especially since she wouldn't have supeconduct and I only have her at C0.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 14, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

It may be the opposite. It's so hard and awkward to get synergy going with her charged shots that they just made them completely overpowered independently. Like if her charged shot hit for a sane amount of damage she would be garbage as a DPS because she doesn't have convenient reaction setups.

I mean, yes, if you want her to be a decent carry and her mechanics with the current roster don't synergize then she'd be crap until there was a ranged pyro applicator. The entire game is built up around these elemental synergies and fueling abilities through reactions so it feels like a bizarre outlier to have a character whose best team comp would be "three characters who can give general buffs and make one Venti if possible". It feels like they've just shifted from reactions to MAKE NUMBER BIGGER and any future releases that give those characters something to react to place them in an entirely new tier.

It's also possible that I've put more thought into this than Mihoyo and they're just designing for people who stick their four favorite animes in a group. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a pve game where characters are rolled for waifu/husbando purposes first and game play second.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mailer posted:

until there was a ranged pyro applicator

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I feel like I've been playing my Sucrose wrong. it occurred to me as I was gathering crystals today that when I start with an XQ wet application, swirl that and then go ham with Diluc to proc vape, I'm losing the ele resistance debuff.

Should I be starting with pyro and swirling that then triggering vape?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

bow carries are probably going to revolve a lot around aimed shot. if you consider that wanderer is supposed to be the equivalent of gladiator for ranged characters, it seems like charged gameplay is pretty important for those characters (though the actual implementation of it in the game mostly means people don't build that set.) the fact that good supports don't really exist yet for that gameplay style doesn't mean that there won't be any in the future.

with ganyu being snap buffed before release it seems pretty clear the beta feedback wasn't positive and having the first real waifu character be a dud would probably cause a civil war in china or some poo poo. albedo came out as pretty good but not game breaking so they can probably get the power creep under control without the community losing their mind at least.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ganyu barely interacts with the rest of the cast atm. I'm still not convinced she's going to be this SSS tier meta breaker trivializer of content. Are you guys finding it that much easier to clear content with Ganyu than you were before getting her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm noticing a pretty noticeable drop in the time to clear my daily chores with her. Domains that aren't anti-ice are faster too.