Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tiggum posted:

This has been suggested a few times in the thread, but why would they be? You can't study astrophysics on a planet any more in the future?

Think of it like this - if the internet got turned off today and also all planes stopped flying then the rate of technological progress on Earth would slow significantly. There would be no globally spanning development anymore, every university or corporate lab would be working on projects in isolation and then getting some post every few months hinting at some work someone you can't talk to is doing. The burn is that writ-large. And it's fine. The problem is not the burn and the soft-retconning to establish the burn effected everyone. The problem is that Disco then does nothing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The_Doctor posted:

Some ships in this season used the quantum slipstream drive, so if that's a viable warp alternative, why isn't everybody using it?

They're using Transwarp conduits.
Which we can't use regularly because...they're full of debris, I guess?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Taear posted:

They're using Transwarp conduits.
Which we can't use regularly because...they're full of debris, I guess?

They also use slipstream, which is a similar but different technology.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They also use slipstream, which is a similar but different technology.

When do they do that?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Taear posted:

When do they do that?

Book mentions using it if they have some benamite crystals in an earlier episode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean if Discovery's writers were being religiously consistent with past trek then all ships would be sporting those sails that Sisko put on his Bajoran replica boat that he accidentally discovered can accelerate you to warp.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

I mean if Discovery's writers were being religiously consistent with past trek then all ships would be sporting those sails that Sisko put on his Bajoran replica boat that he accidentally discovered can accelerate you to warp.

that was only in a specific quantum burrito field but the principle should be duplicable with some ground based burrito generator

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Book mentions using it if they have some benamite crystals in an earlier episode.

I've had a look and apparently he says it in the first episode but says Benamite Crystals are rare

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Alchenar posted:

They're the second thing Book mentions in episode 1 right after saying why he can't use Quantum Slipstream

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Bloop posted:

that was only in a specific quantum burrito field but the principle should be duplicable with some ground based burrito generator

Mathematics of wonton burrito meals... I'll be there!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It's the 32nd century and Bajor still isn't a part of the Federation.

No but Cardassia is! 😃

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-discovery-season-4-cardassians-canon-ds9

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alchenar posted:

Think of it like this - if the internet got turned off today and also all planes stopped flying then the rate of technological progress on Earth would slow significantly.
This is something I've never been sure of with Star Trek: How far can they communicate? If this is all that remains of the Federation after the Burn, it makes sense that they wouldn't know if someone's using a Quantum Lightjumbler or whatever in the Delta Quadrant. Long-range subspace communication isn't instant, even assuming everyone wants to talk.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

sticklefifer posted:

This is something I've never been sure of with Star Trek: How far can they communicate? If this is all that remains of the Federation after the Burn, it makes sense that they wouldn't know if someone's using a Quantum Lightjumbler or whatever in the Delta Quadrant. Long-range subspace communication isn't instant, even assuming everyone wants to talk.

I mean, Earth couldn't even communicate with Jupiter that one time apparently. Except that the bad guys could track them down to a random nebula in the middle of nowhere just fine. They have plot powered communication fields.

Edit: This whole season would be kind of like if in Fallout 4 you found out that Canada was just fine and chilling north of the border the entire time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean, Earth couldn't even communicate with Jupiter that one time apparently. Except that the bad guys could track them down to a random nebula in the middle of nowhere just fine. They have plot powered communication fields.

Edit: This whole season would be kind of like if in Fallout 4 you found out that Canada was just fine and chilling north of the border the entire time.

This didn't make sense, we could communicate with Jupiter now
Also knowledge should be safe they showed that Starfleet academy was fine due to that tree in the middle still sitting there and if knowledge/research is stored anywhere it's there.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
What really sucked about that last episode is that the dude Mikey Burns knighted in the beginning of the season was there. Like, the bad guys were definitely operating in that dude's sector. Starfleet has been dealing with these people. At the very least, the Emerald Chain (the people who run the exchange that was in that dude's sector) literally know that Starfleet is real and exists. They left that dude out to dry. He deserves better than Starfleet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

The answer has always been 'you can have a live conversation with whoever you want if the plot demands'. The bit in Voyager where they make contact with the Federation implies you can't just fire a message across the universe without some supporting infrastructure to boost it along.
There's plenty of times in TNG where they say 'we've sent a message to the Klingons/Romulans/HQ/whoever but haven't received a response' but it's equal parts interpretable as the message taking some time to arrive, or the recipient taking their time deciding to reply.

'Subspace relays' are a thing that get referred to so I would take it as implicit that when they stopped getting maintained then comms gets more and more difficult. Of course Michael straight up calls her mom in the finale so as with all things Disco did not give a gently caress about being internally or thematically consistent.

Spanish Matlock posted:

What really sucked about that last episode is that the dude Mikey Burns knighted in the beginning of the season was there. Like, the bad guys were definitely operating in that dude's sector. Starfleet has been dealing with these people. At the very least, the Emerald Chain (the people who run the exchange that was in that dude's sector) literally know that Starfleet is real and exists. They left that dude out to dry. He deserves better than Starfleet.

The old dude's inherited status as a Starfleet officer represents the collapse of Starfleet into a feudal state in an allegory of the economic reforms of the Late Roman Empire. At least it would if the writers of Discovery actually thought about what they were putting on screen.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 13, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is true in 80% of post appocyliptic stories.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

I felt like they should have had disco check in with that dude, move some support staff and comms gear or whatever there mid season.

Just imagining him sitting behind that desk on an abandoned space station, wondering what ever happened to Michael Burnham made me laugh whenever I thought of this season.

At least they didn't just fail to ever bring him up again, like I was fully expecting.

sticklefifer posted:

Long range comms seem like they need infrastructure / signal boosters in Trek; with the caveat that it is also possible or impossible whenever the plot demands... just like how far DS9 is from Earth ( Months, Days, A Week? All of the Above).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Think he should have popped up once or twice via comms as Discovery searched for the Federation with clues but I'm glad they showed him again at the end.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yea really discovery should have gone and got him immediately shouldn't they? It's dumb to have him just be back at the end there.
Although as I mentioned a bit up thread I'm sure that where he is stationed is meant to be REALLY far away from Earth and etc.

I still can't get over him telling them that he saw some Federation signatures but Burnham didn't think to spore jump back there when she got discovery and find out what they were? loving stupid.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Taear posted:

Yea really discovery should have gone and got him immediately shouldn't they? It's dumb to have him just be back at the end there.
Although as I mentioned a bit up thread I'm sure that where he is stationed is meant to be REALLY far away from Earth and etc.

I still can't get over him telling them that he saw some Federation signatures but Burnham didn't think to spore jump back there when she got discovery and find out what they were? loving stupid.

The distances really throw me off, He was in the middle of Emerald Chain territory where he hadn't talked to the Federation in his lifetime and everyone thinks they are ghosts. Also the Emerald Chain has been fighting the Federation and wants to join with them to consolidate their power. Is the Emerald Chain just insanely large even while being Dilithium scarce?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I assume the name Emerald Chain is meant to invoke a space archipelago (possibly of green Orions?)

I felt like they did cover a massive territory, but only along very narrow corridors they were able to use for travel. So if you fill all that in on the map it's like the early cellphone maps where the actual coverage disappeared a mile distant from any highway but they just filled the whole state in anyway

Like as if you counted dominion territory as everything in their quadrant and then just colored in everything between them and Cardassia even though they didn't control most of that area

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

The distances really throw me off, He was in the middle of Emerald Chain territory where he hadn't talked to the Federation in his lifetime and everyone thinks they are ghosts. Also the Emerald Chain has been fighting the Federation and wants to join with them to consolidate their power. Is the Emerald Chain just insanely large even while being Dilithium scarce?

Yea this is kinda what I've been saying the whole time. It feels like the Emerald Chain reaches all the way from Earth to beyond what was the Romulan Empire. It's just really badly laid out and that bad laying out makes the end just feel like it makes no sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

I assume the name Emerald Chain is meant to invoke a space archipelago (possibly of green Orions?)

Green Orions by Booker C. & The SMGs

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My initial sense of the chain was a loose alliance of local warlords and kings of hills deciding on a mutual system of trade between their little fiefdoms. In that sense, someone on one edge might not be aware of what happens on the other edge. I'm sure someone can drag up some analogy to the Roman empire or something. Of course that all goes out the window if Osyraa is somehow the top boss of the chain. Or I guess it's kind of salvageable, but it would require some effort

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

I think it's just so they can say "You will feel the weight of the chain" when intimidating people.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I felt like they did cover a massive territory, but only along very narrow corridors they were able to use for travel. So if you fill all that in on the map it's like the early cellphone maps where the actual coverage disappeared a mile distant from any highway but they just filled the whole state in anyway

Like as if you counted dominion territory as everything in their quadrant and then just colored in everything between them and Cardassia even though they didn't control most of that area

I just figured Emerald because they're green and Chain because they love slavery, I assume that's about as much thought as the writers put into it

e: I wonder how many pats on the back the writer who came up with "she's heavy and all mine" got
e2: has anyone in history ever described an actual grudge as "heavy?"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Taear posted:

Yea this is kinda what I've been saying the whole time. It feels like the Emerald Chain reaches all the way from Earth to beyond what was the Romulan Empire. It's just really badly laid out and that bad laying out makes the end just feel like it makes no sense.

The admiral hinted that they are only the Andorians and Orions in this part of the galaxy but that's all they said. Osyraa mentioning Deep Space Huge Number was trading with them for 100 years was the other clue that the Chain is big. Also no clue if she was in charge the whole time. While they are probably leaving things open ended to not restrict future stories, it's also frustrating because it doesn't explain anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there any indication that the chain even reaches Earth? I thought their "an alien race keeps attacking us" thing was just the people from Saturn. Also, Ossyra wasn't in charge. She was in charge of her faction, but the chain seemed to be much larger than she was.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

The admiral hinted that they are only the Andorians and Orions in this part of the galaxy but that's all they said. Osyraa mentioning Deep Space Huge Number was trading with them for 100 years was the other clue that the Chain is big. Also no clue if she was in charge the whole time. While they are probably leaving things open ended to not restrict future stories, it's also frustrating because it doesn't explain anything.

Cojawfee posted:

Is there any indication that the chain even reaches Earth? I thought their "an alien race keeps attacking us" thing was just the people from Saturn. Also, Ossyra wasn't in charge. She was in charge of her faction, but the chain seemed to be much larger than she was.

Welp, the ending monlogue says "The chain fractured without Osyrra" so she was a sine qua non and nope they ain't ever getting mentioned again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wait they did? I don’t remember that.

Memory Alpha agrees that this was mentioned, but lol that they did it that way

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 14, 2021

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

My favorite aspect of modern, serialized television storytelling is when they tie everything up with a neat little bow at the end of every season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Infidelicious posted:

My favorite aspect of modern, serialized television storytelling is when they tie everything up with a neat little bow at the end of every season.

“It’s a 10 hour long movie!” - said as if that’s actually a good thing

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I hope we get more than 8 episodes of Lower decks next season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A.o.D. posted:

I hope we get more than 8 episodes of Lower decks next season.
I think it's going to be 10

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait they did? I don’t remember that.

Memory Alpha agrees that this was mentioned, but lol that they did it that way

Well poo poo I hadn't noticed that either.
So what she runs almost the entire galaxy but the second she dies that's job done?

Cojawfee posted:

The fed HQ has to be close to Ni'Var which is close to Earth.
I mean....I dunno if the writers even thought about it but at least theoretically they all have to be close to each other or none of this works (none of this works).

The seed ship bit where it's just in the middle of nowhere when travel is supposed to be super hard might be one of the most bizarre parts of the show although I know that episode just exists to get rid of the security captain.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Alchenar posted:

Welp, the ending monlogue says "The chain fractured without Osyrra" so she was a sine qua non and nope they ain't ever getting mentioned again.

Big bad next season is 2 Chainz!

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So I thought I'd read the Star Trek reddit and check out their opinions and they thought it was good??!!?? No mentions of plot holes or bad writing? just mostly good.

Are most people enjoying discovery? am I being too picky?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Generally the wide response to Discovery is good, especially this last season. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but goons tend to take a more critical eye to most things it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Generally the wide response to Discovery is good, especially this last season. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but goons tend to take a more critical eye to most things it seems.

That, and the people who absolutely hate it tend to be be Twitter/Reddit/YouTube weirdos who have made entire online identities and/or careers out of hating New Star Trek/New Star Wars/[Pop Culture Thing], and the folks they've snookered into following them/parroting their bonkers views on things ala QAnon. Generally speaking, most normal people have really enjoyed all three seasons of Discovery so far, as well as Picard and Lower Decks. It's the utterly online-poisoned folks who seem to hate them. SA generally seems to be a middle ground between enjoying them broadly while still critical of them.

Looking up #StarTrek or #StarTrekDiscovery on Twitter tends to bring up generally nothing but positive engagement and feedback with/for the show and franchise in general. The folks who are braincracked mad about it and despise it to the core of their being tend to be a tight and self-perpetuating circle that's practically on the dark web side of the Twooterverse.