Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is there anything like LoboCorp out there? SCP management - not necessarily a game, but a book or TV show like it. I know there's SCP Foundation itself, or Warehouse 13, but I crave more. I adored Control!

The best book about containing and controlling weird abnormalities and mysterious stuff I can recommend is The Rook, by Daniel O'Malley. Has a good mix of abnormalities, from weird stuff that gets shoved in a vault and forgotten to world threatening stuff. It has some good bureaucracy trying to deal with insane, otherworldly entities.

The sequel also has more in depth descriptions of the bureaucratic nightmare that is running a bureau that deals with this stuff, and what a war would be like with these powers and abilities running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Arbetor posted:

The best book about containing and controlling weird abnormalities and mysterious stuff I can recommend is The Rook, by Daniel O'Malley. Has a good mix of abnormalities, from weird stuff that gets shoved in a vault and forgotten to world threatening stuff. It has some good bureaucracy trying to deal with insane, otherworldly entities.

The sequel also has more in depth descriptions of the bureaucratic nightmare that is running a bureau that deals with this stuff, and what a war would be like with these powers and abilities running around.

Huh, I'd heard that it was the X-Men but British. I also recall it had some bad male gaze stuff - but it's been years, let's give it another shot. Thank you! And if you have any more recs, PLEASE let me know.

...hmm I should probably try Laundry Files again...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just spent two days mainlining LoboCorp and I'm up to page 32 of the thread and I think LC itself has defeated me (FOR NOW) so I finally opened up Ruina and ---- right, full of kind of barely translated mechanics that I'm still trying to decipher. The OP of this thread has helped! And I'm still reading through the LC LP furiously and loving every update!

Some vague general questions:

- Library of Ruina, how complete/far along is the game now? I understand it has a weekly update schedule and is pretty much A+ to play now (or will be once I wrap my head around it)
- Is there anything like LoboCorp out there? SCP management - not necessarily a game, but a book or TV show like it. I know there's SCP Foundation itself, or Warehouse 13, but I crave more. I adored Control!

As for LC spoiling Ruina: I don't mind. It's fascinating approaching LC's ending from both ends at once - before by reading the LP and after by playing Ruina.

I've spent about 40 hours on LoR and am just starting Star of the City, though maybe I just suck or read slow.

lets hang out posted:

They did a Q&A on Twitter the other day and in it said they still plan to release the game from early access in April. We're clearly approaching the end of the story now, at library level 54 out of (recently increased) 70, but there's no telling what their plans for the end game are. IIRC that level goes up from unlocking floors and completing abnormality battles so we'll be at 60 once we finish all the floors we have. 🤔 I think the voice acting runs out about a chapter back from where we currently are, they only get to record every once in a while.

I believe they still plan to add more optional battles and gifts, both of which cut off pretty early. Not really expecting huge changes to the gameplay at this point but there's still a lot that could and hopefully will be done with the UI. There's bugs and balance to work on, and maybe they'll finally give everyone after the 2nd or 3rd chapter idle animations.

I was wondering about that! I was surprised when there was no Grade X fixer fights after 7.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lobo Corp: well upon reading the first update with a core suppression in it, this just cemented that I did the right thing in tapping out when I did. I suck at micromanagement, thinking on the fly, and handling abnormalities so yeah the difficulty would skyrocket away from me. Which is okay! There's a great LP and Library of Ruina seems more my jam, so I'm excited!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
FWIW the Malkuth suppression is completely negated by having a notebook on hand.

Which I love, to be honest. But yes-while this game is probably my favorite one in... ever? I know it's not for everyone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

FWIW the Malkuth suppression is completely negated by having a notebook on hand.

Which I love, to be honest. But yes-while this game is probably my favorite one in... ever? I know it's not for everyone.

Rest assured that I have absolutely no regrets with putting 18+ hours into this game! It was a great experience and I have OPINIONS on a certain crying baby, an eyeball tree, and a keyhole watcher now. Also I kind of shot my own agents with a certain EGO rifle too, entirely my fault for not checking it before use.

I'm glad I was able to realize I needed to stop before it got irritatingly hard - sometimes I don't do that and then I get Mad At Video Games and it's a bad time.

Thank you so so much for making such a great LP, it's gotten me into and out of this great game and I can't wait to read more!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you got the eyeball tree, the keyhole AND the crying baby before even getting to suppressions... Honestly it's impressive you held out that long.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you got the eyeball tree, the keyhole AND the crying baby before even getting to suppressions... Honestly it's impressive you held out that long.

In the same facility, where I gave up on like the second day with the Tiphs, I had:

One Sin
Luminous Bracelet
Shy Face aka gently caress you for looking away for 2 seconds you're now on the angry face and your agent is dead

Lady Facing Wall
Void Dream
Firebird
Giant Tree Sap

Opened Can
Crumbling Armor
Fragment of Universe
You Must Be Happy

Keyhole
Ice Queen
Express Train to Hell
Der Freischütz

and then for the two double selections I got

Baby / Eyeball Tree
and Big Bad Wolf / Backward Clock

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had both Burrowing Heaven and Schadenfreude in my facility at the same time and boy did that make day 49 a pain.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the same facility, where I gave up on like the second day with the Tiphs, I had:

oh god express train to hell, nameless fetus, and phoenix all early

you could try restarting without those because Yikes

for the record i'm also terrible at reflex-micro and got through fine, I think you just took like every trap option at once. nameless fetus and express train at least should not be in ANY facility

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I had both Burrowing Heaven and Schadenfreude in my facility at the same time and boy did that make day 49 a pain.

:same:

tbf if you trigger schadenfreude you can just look away and he can't do anything

triggering burrowing heaven means at least one guaranteed death, probably more

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 13, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I don't mind Express Train to Hell too much because all it takes is a "oh I should click on this guy again" every minute or so.

Now the lookers/don't-lookers are assholes, the baby loving SUCKS and I have Opinions on the Snow Queen. She was the entity that taught me that you can work abnormalities with agents outside their department!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't mind Express Train to Hell too much because all it takes is a "oh I should click on this guy again" every minute or so.

Now the lookers/don't-lookers are assholes, the baby loving SUCKS and I have Opinions on the Snow Queen. She was the entity that taught me that you can work abnormalities with agents outside their department!

Train isn't that big a deal if you're attentive, but it really sucks when something else is heavily monopolizing your attention and you just forget about it. Like it's bad enough when you send someone to the shelter to deal with a meltdown and then forget they're there - at least that only happens when the shelter gets hit with a meltdown. Train is just that, but all the time.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Train isn't that big a deal if you're attentive, but it really sucks when something else is heavily monopolizing your attention and you just forget about it. Like it's bad enough when you send someone to the shelter to deal with a meltdown and then forget they're there - at least that only happens when the shelter gets hit with a meltdown. Train is just that, but all the time.

Yeah this. All it takes is some more pressing emergency taking all of your focus (And that will happen all the time, this IS Lobotomy Corp. after all) and then just as you think you handled everything and can go and pay attention to less important matters again, suddenly its Choo-Choo time and you just helplessly watch as 5 of your agents die, because Tomas the Jerk Engine decided to barrel through the room they were in. And it will happen all the time too, because again, this IS Lobo Corp.. I think I lasted about 3 days (and countless rewinds) trying to make Hell Train work, before just giving up and resetting.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Train is especially nasty when you have a breach-prone abnormality such as -31.

I didn't have the same amount of trouble with the baby but I got it near end game where almost all my agents could easily handle it's work, but it's definitely a bitch if you get it early.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Things that I have learned today: Meat Lantern can suppress -75 all in its own.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Robindaybird posted:

The Train is especially nasty when you have a breach-prone abnormality such as -31.

I didn't have the same amount of trouble with the baby but I got it near end game where almost all my agents could easily handle it's work, but it's definitely a bitch if you get it early.

I kept the train in my facility for about ten days, but that was before I started doing suppressions. I saved Nameless Fetus to near the end; while I started my run with a rule that I'd always pick an unknown abno, in the middle if possible, I broke that rule when that would result in taking the baby on a repository day.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

StrixNebulosa posted:

...hmm I should probably try Laundry Files again...

Laundry Files are dope and good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

the baby's main problem is that a single lowroll or brainfart means that someone is going to die and it's going to cause Problems if there's any 1 QC abnormalities nearby

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It's got a 60% instinct rate at Instinct 5, observation bonuses of +4% each at levels 1 and 3, and if you have 136 Attachment that's another +27%

It turns out that if you boost the success rate to 95% then you will almost never have problems with baby. :v:

87% isn't that bad either when getting the bonuses initially.

therefore the answer is "touch fetus only after you get to where you can train to 130 stat."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

It's got a 60% instinct rate at Instinct 5, observation bonuses of +4% each at levels 1 and 3, and if you have 136 Attachment that's another +27%

It turns out that if you boost the success rate to 95% then you will almost never have problems with baby. :v:

87% isn't that bad either when getting the bonuses initially.

therefore the answer is "touch fetus only after you get to where you can train to 130 stat."

didn't know it was quite that high, good points

I think i'm just paranoid from the time Nothing There ate one of my best agents despite 130 temperence, which only happened once in like hundreds of works mind you but it only takes one to be paranoid forever

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yinlock posted:

didn't know it was quite that high, good points

I think i'm just paranoid from the time Nothing There ate one of my best agents despite 130 temperence, which only happened once in like hundreds of works mind you but it only takes one to be paranoid forever

*looking at the can of opened well cheers*

I know exactly what you mean

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think I posted here about lucking out and getting Baby in Disciplinary with two abnormalities that can’t breach. Then a certain someone started swapping around the complex and messed that up.

Snow Queen’s big trick is that you have to check her before ending the day in case she’s frozen someone. And she sometimes nabs somebody on a suppression day.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LoR: any tips for Gebura's Floor Realization? The first fight is such ridiculous horseshit and of course i'm doing it after they nerfed counter dice so I can't just have geb solo the entire thing :negative:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So uh

If a summation mass attack hits 5 people

4 roll and they get a total of say 20, beating a 12

They still take damage if the fifth guy is stunned and doesn't roll? What?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

So uh

If a summation mass attack hits 5 people

4 roll and they get a total of say 20, beating a 12

They still take damage if the fifth guy is stunned and doesn't roll? What?

it's poorly explained so here's a (hopefully) better one:

both types of mass attacks roll individually for every librarian

individual: rolls each attack vs each of the defending page's attacks, so you'd need 3 dice to block all 3 hits of a 3-dice mass

summation: combines every dice on the page each librarian uses, but the numbers are still per librarian. So even if someone's combined total is a 13 it's still going to hit someone else who's total is a 7

thus if none of those 4 rolls are 12 or higher then they all get hit

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 15, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

it's poorly explained so here's a (hopefully) better one:

both types of mass attacks roll individually for every librarian

individual: rolls each attack vs each of the defending page's attacks, so you'd need 3 dice to block all 3 hits of a 3-dice mass

summation: combines every dice on the page each librarian uses, but the numbers are still per librarian. So even if someone's combined total is a 13 it's still going to hit someone else who's total is a 7

thus if none of those 4 rolls are 12 or higher then they all get hit

ffs that needs to be rewritten and explains why I keep getting owned :psyduck:

Mass attacks force quick mode on so I never could get a good look at it. I turned off quick mode so I could understand how all the mechanics worked intentionally, game!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

LoR: any tips for Gebura's Floor Realization? The first fight is such ridiculous horseshit and of course i'm doing it after they nerfed counter dice so I can't just have geb solo the entire thing :negative:

If you're not exploiting it yet, using the passive from (SOTC row 2) Myo's page that gives +1 bonus dice power based on how much faster you are than the dice you're clashing with turns Gebura into a monster who can actually reliably clash with the boss' cards. Also, bring either some cheap defensive cards you can use on your librarians to clash with Red's crappy dice or some ranged cards that are guaranteed to go first so the boss doesn't gain strength from winning clashes with its counter dice.

Also, the rest of the fight is a joke after you make it past phase 1. Try to push through it even if your libraries are beaten up and you have a death or two.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any way to repeat abnormality fights for fun?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

ffs that needs to be rewritten and explains why I keep getting owned :psyduck:

Mass attacks force quick mode on so I never could get a good look at it. I turned off quick mode so I could understand how all the mechanics worked intentionally, game!

yeah I figured out how it worked via getting my rear end kicked a lot and wiki-binging, until then I was just throwing out whatever good pages I had against them in hopes that something would work

e: which works out fine riiiight up until star of the city

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you're not exploiting it yet, using the passive from (SOTC row 2) Myo's page that gives +1 bonus dice power based on how much faster you are than the dice you're clashing with turns Gebura into a monster who can actually reliably clash with the boss' cards. Also, bring either some cheap defensive cards you can use on your librarians to clash with Red's crappy dice or some ranged cards that are guaranteed to go first so the boss doesn't gain strength from winning clashes with its counter dice.

Also, the rest of the fight is a joke after you make it past phase 1. Try to push through it even if your libraries are beaten up and you have a death or two.

ah, Myo is one of my main combat keypages so I never thought of using it that way, thanks

and yeah I powered through phase 1 once but one librarian was in stagger so I couldn't stagger the wolf and welp

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

Is there any way to repeat abnormality fights for fun?

Nope, there probably will be in the final release though since it's p. heavily requested

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I would just like to say that I respect Xiao.

Usually if you mess up a fight's mechanics you can recover fairly well. That fight just wipes your floor almost instantly if you don't do the mechanics right. It's great. :allears:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't say that this would work for sure because I didn't have the key page when I did Gebura's realization, but the more I think about it the more I think (SOTC row 3) Purple Tear would be really good for it too. The problem with that fight is that it's actually kind of hard to stagger the boss without just reducing its HP to 0, but that page's ability to run two decks would let you use a singleton smoke generation deck in block stance with Puffy Brume, then swap into whatever stance the wolf is stagger-weak to and just unload with +90% stagger with a deck packed full of offensive cards.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished it, I still had to retry a bunch because lol rng but I eventually got past stage 1 without anyone staggered, then Gebura popped her Devil Trigger and streamrolled the entire fight :getin:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I just sort of won phase 1 my first try because I ate up all its counter dice on the final turn and Red attacked into it one-sidedly while it had like 8 HP left so I just cleared the fight? Then phases 2-5 are all just repeatedly dunking on opponents so it was basically a cakewalk even after they toned counter dice down.

I wish I could say it was planned but frequently I just get lucky at the right times.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey TeeQueue I just read/watched your LP bit with Apocalypse Bird and holy poo poo, you are good at this game. Congratulations and good luck with the rest of it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks very much! After playing enough of this game you eventually figure out how to do it without pausing, and from there it’s just execution.

I was worried the first part of apoc bird would be boring to watch, since I was playing with no nonsense-minimal zooms to get footage and all that, just concerned with winning. That it came out so well was a pleasant surprise, TBH, and gives me hope for the next several times I’m going to have to do it. :shepface:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Today's Library update: Oh hell it's Binah realization and you don't even get to find out the fourth abnormality before the fight starts. ....And Hokma still hasn't had his third abno. They wouldn't make you do a full realization with Time would they...?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Seeing the most recent update in the LP and the contents of Library of Ruina, anyone would probably become a homicidal maniac like Angela. A continues to prove to be the absolute worst.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LoR simultaneously makes Angela way more and way less sympathetic, since it's 100% understandable why she did what she did but you're also now killing (sometimes) decent and uninvolved people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any tips for Mountain of Bodies in LoR?