Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kecske posted:

high impact reporting... with a lot to offer?

"high impact" in the 'foreheads slamming against hard surfaces at a 90 degree angle' sense, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

a whole 11 articles?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
diiiiie guardian :hehe:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don't post while high.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1349389164345778177?s=21

Early signs that the lockdown is doing its job. Daily cases are now dropping consistently enough to impact the 7DA. Sadly, this does probably mean we're still two/three weeks from the peak daily death rate.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I think we should all be kinder to the Guardian. It's been what, a month or so until they printed something rampantly transphobic? we should give them an award

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The high-impact reporting award

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

The high-impact reporting award

well now you've done it

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Darth Walrus posted:

Early signs that the lockdown is doing its job. Daily cases are now dropping consistently enough to impact the 7DA. Sadly, this does probably mean we're still two/three weeks from the peak daily death rate.

Once it's low enough we can reopen everyting :cool:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

sinky posted:

Once it's low enough we can reopen everyting :cool:

OPEN HER UP.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Paul Mason going full Time Trumpet

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1349440494321991680?s=19

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

That's just the plot of

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know at least the oracle at delphi was probably on some good poo poo, the future is balls if you just throttle a chiken in front of a computer and say the apocalpyse is happening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's how all Guardian op-eds are produced :fap:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Could we follow up the Keithbot from the podcast with a full deepfake op-ed writer? The goal is to get a regular column in the Guardian. I reckon you could do it within four months.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tories fixed the school laptop problem

https://twitter.com/BylineTimes/status/1349233380244779008

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Eagerly awaiting the 10k laptops worth £600 each that will be available.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Tories fixed the school laptop problem

Now someone just needs to solve the ‘how do use use a laptop after it has been cut in half’ problem.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

Eagerly awaiting the 10k laptops worth £600 each that will be available.

They'll be running Vista and Office 2000 and the povvos will be drat grateful.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1349442897507217412

No luck selling them fish then

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

They'll be running Vista and Office 2000 and the povvos will be drat grateful.

LMBO you are right unless my math is wrong that's £200 per laptop (from the article in the tweet):

quote:

On 1 December, the Government released details of two contracts awarded to Computacenter for the provision of 59,900 devices, worth a total of £12.4 million.

Looks to be about the price of a low-end chromebook (e.g. Dell Chromebook 3189).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 13, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, £207/laptop. At that kind of scale you could get some great deals, however looking at the evidence to date...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
derpderp why bad things happen now, where is my fantasy i believed in :cry:

Already heard about a family member who voted leave and is gurning about not being able to get her £6 desserts and £3 bags of cheesy poofs or whatever the gently caress at m&s food

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

At least the laptop contract has gone to a company that, you know, actually does the thing the contract requires, unlike some of those PPE contracts that went to jewellery companies or transparently fake shell corporations or someone's loving Vinted account or whatever

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Private Speech posted:

LMBO you are right unless my math is wrong that's £200 per laptop (from the article in the tweet):

Looks to be about the price of a low-end chromebook (e.g. Dell Chromebook 3189).

Computacenter is owned by Sir Peter Ogden - he's worth something like £400m and has given over £25m to charity - largely to a trust he setup to teach children physics (he's a physics grad) but also to others I believe.

As far as I can tell, he's *not* a Tory donor. That he's charitable and not apparently a Tory donor there might be a chance of them providing half-decent value for money but we'll see.

I know a bit about him because I looked him up when we made a conservatory for him at my old workplace. He lives on Jethou, a private island out by Guernsey. According to those who met him he was a "nice bloke" but people say the same of Boris so...

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This bloke's going about it all wrong, why's he selling to the traitor EU anyway when he could be selling to good old British John Bull types? And while we're at, "langoustines" sounds a bit forren to me, they should be called Findus Mini Lobsters

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BTW Jack Monroe says they got "politically lost" for a bit. Might mean they acknowledge that it was a mistake ever supporting the likes of Soubry, though they stop short of actually saying that.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1349335427170390017?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

WhatEvil posted:

Computacenter is owned by Sir Peter Ogden - he's worth something like £400m and has given over £25m to charity - largely to a trust he setup to teach children physics (he's a physics grad) but also to others I believe.

As far as I can tell, he's *not* a Tory donor. That he's charitable and not apparently a Tory donor there might be a chance of them providing half-decent value for money but we'll see.

I know a bit about him because I looked him up when we made a conservatory for him at my old workplace. He lives on Jethou, a private island out by Guernsey. According to those who met him he was a "nice bloke" but people say the same of Boris so...

Here's a response to that article with a bit more detail:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Kiteley/status/1349252363111038976

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, £207/laptop. At that kind of scale you could get some great deals, however looking at the evidence to date...
All come preinstalled with a hidden online entrapment control system, so the tories can [lift music] from the comfort of their own office.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to work for Johnsons Workwear, who did the laundry for that Lochfyne fellow, and he is a loving grade a bell end. Would phone up last thing on a Friday, without fail, cursing and swearing and stressing out the office ladies while trying to wangle a discount. Was also constantly trying to nick things out the lorry. And went bankrupt and unbankrupt about a bajillion times.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Private Speech posted:

Nothing untoward about it, just awarding the contract without tender to a company whose owner gave the Tories £100mk (e) last year, it's a non-story :psyduck:

crispix posted:

£3 bags of cheesy poofs or whatever the gently caress at m&s food
Trap sprung or whatever but the reduced fat M&S cheese puffs are pretty drat tasty at way less calories than any main-brand crisp specifically marketed as healthy (see also, their bacon frazzles & s&v chipsticks)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 13, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Private Speech posted:

Ah theeeeere it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VideoGames posted:

Is this not similar to other centrists once he is out of the running to make actual changes, that now we campaign for change again - because her political wilderness seems to have ended after the election.

I feel like this is more of a blunt apology and admission of fault than we've seen from other centrists:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1349453299238502400?s=19

It doesn't change what happened when it was actually important but it's something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1349389164345778177?s=21

Hospital admissions are still basically vertical though, and we're passing the March peak for patients on ventilators. I think the worst is very much still to come, and not just in a nice smooth "positive tests plus two weeks" curve - I'm scared we're going to hit the "switch off everyone over 85 to free up the beds" stage at least locally in the next few weeks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Could we follow up the Keithbot from the podcast with a full deepfake op-ed writer? The goal is to get a regular column in the Guardian. I reckon you could do it within four months.

I still have Postbot3000, but the idea of downloading a corpus of Graun articles to feed it with makes me feel like I need a whole other computer connected to another network just to avoid cross-contamination.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I still have Postbot3000, but the idea of downloading a corpus of Graun articles to feed it with makes me feel like I need a whole other computer connected to another network just to avoid cross-contamination.

Also you'd have to spend a load of money cause all the poo poo he writes is behind loving Murdoch paywalls.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Pains me to say it but he's right (apart from the entrepeneur poo poo). Computacenter are the first company I'd call if I needed a shitload of hardware in a hurry - they're not the cheapest, but they're legit, and even do custom software builds etc so the stuff literally just needs turning on and it's ready to go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Nothing untoward about it, just awarding the contract without tender to a company whose owner gave the Tories £100mk (e) last year, it's a non-story
Hyphen's in the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Also you'd have to spend a load of money cause all the poo poo he writes is behind loving Murdoch paywalls.

They were talking about making a virtual Graun columnist though. I can generate a Kieth corpus easily enough by just hooking a white noise generator into it.