Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, so.

Most likely another patron has the book checked out and Dustin is going by the set return date when he says Thursday. That's reasonable enough; personally in that situation I always point out to patrons that it might still be returned late. Or, on the other hand, early. Alternatively, the book might also still be in acquisitions or cataloguing. If the library just ordered the book it'll be there whenever it gets delivered, if it's being processed it'll be available when the cataloguers are good and ready. Point is: there are few scenarios where you'd know exactly, just from checking in the system at circulation or reference, when a book will definitely be available to patrons.

Dustin has several options here, but none of them are really that great. If the book is out on loan he could offer the man to place a reservation on it. He could also try checking for another copy of the book - digital copy, different edition or different library branch are all reasonable options. He could also try an inter-library loan, although at least in the system I'm familiar with, that would take weeks. If it's in cataloguing he could well call them up and see if it could be fast-tracked cause a patron needs it today, that's a perfectly reasonable request to make. As a temp worker he'd be excused for not knowing any of that off-hand.

Sometimes the reality of the situation is simply that the library doesn't have the book and can't offer any options that satisfy the patron's specific needs re: availability timeframe. Although we usually try to tell them more tactfully.

I'm not sure if this is a "the customer is unreasonable" strip or a "the service person is unhelpful/Dustin is a fuckup" strip. It's structured like the former but the strip's bread and butter is very much the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

somepartsareme posted:

In 2004 the Dave Matthews Band tour bus illegally dumped human waste into the Chicago river and onto a tour boat

It's also a part of forums history as someone who worked on the tour boat posted about it before the bus had been identified :eng101: .

This is a thread from 2004 so I can't vouch for the overall content, but it's interesting anyway.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Behind the curve on love

It's interesting to note that of the three Bad Machinery girls, Mildred is the one with the most experience with love/romance. She had a brief fling with Lee Chaplin in Case of the Fire Inside and had a "thing" with Jack Finch in Case of the Severed Alliance. She also developed a crush on her father's coworker and Scary-Go-Round regular Eustace Boyce in New Bobbins. By contrast Lottie has been completely uninterested in romance, although she has caught the attention of Colm O'Shaunessy in Case of the Simple Soul as well as Tuan and Jordon in Space is the Place

Also that appears to be Carrot Scruggs from Scary-Go-Round in the second panel.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sometimes the reality of the situation is simply that the library doesn't have the book and can't offer any options that satisfy the patron's specific needs re: availability timeframe. Although we usually try to tell them more tactfully.

Yeah I've had this happen to me. Most of the time patrons are understanding, but sometimes I get someone who can't understand that the library has finite resources and want the item "right now". One time I had a patron who wanted to know why an item they I had requested hadn't arrived yet. I told them that I usually takes about three days for an item move through our transit system (one day for the owning library to process it, then one or two days "in transit". The patron said that they could have driven to the other library and gotten it in under a hour ("so why didn't you do that?" I thought). I told them it might come in the tomorrow and that I would specifically contact them to let them know it had arrived, as opposed to just letting the automated system handle it. Sure enough the item came in the next morning and I contacted the patron who thanked me... and then never picked the item up. It went back to the owning library after about a week sitting on the "hold" shelf.

tl;dr: patron wanted item NOW, then never picked it up

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Bugs is a good guy, but these ridiculous conspiracy theories have made him crazy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Other posted:

The patron said that they could have driven to the other library and gotten it in under a hour ("so why didn't you do that?" I thought).
My area has three universities within close distance of each other, whenever someone asks me about inter-library loans I make sure to tell them to check the other two libraries first. Our student IDs are valid library cards in all three and also serve as public transport tickets so it's just about as hassle-free as I could imagine, except of course for the effort and time (and the coronavirus but well).

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Okay, I know this is from yesterday, but I just can't get over how badly constructed this is. Mark's getting choked out from behind so he slams his speedboat using an outboard motor into reverse (which we know because of the sound effect "Reverse"), and this somehow knocks the attacker backwards, off of Mark. I don't even have a clue what the action in the third panel is trying to tell me. It just bugs me is all.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 15, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 15, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 15, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/12/01

Brenda Starr 6/17/45

Yes, this is probably the lamest possible resolution to the Bub Walters plot.

Smokey Stover 4/6-8/39

"Wrong-Way" Corrigan had made his transatlantic flight the year before, so the nickname would still have been fresh.

Richard's Poor Almanac

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maybe put the baby in your own room you selfish poo poo

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 28, 1943)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 28, 1943)

Holy poo poo, especially Beric in the 5th panel. Is he clapping or dusting off his hands? Either is :psyduck:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo, especially Beric in the 5th panel. Is he clapping or dusting off his hands? Either is :psyduck:

Val casually cleaning his nails as he hangs someone "without delay and with no squeamishness whatsoever." :kimchi:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EBB posted:

maybe put the baby in your own room you selfish poo poo
Really takes a special kind of parent writer to make the story not "I can't get any sleep cause the baby wakes me up" but "I can't get any sleep because the baby wakes up my daughter who then complains".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Val casually cleaning his nails as he hangs someone "without delay and with no squeamishness whatsoever." :kimchi:

What gets me about this incident is the hermit was surprised by Val's armour but Val was openly wearing it when he met the guy

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Personally I like Val's little smirk in panel four.

CommonShore posted:

What gets me about this incident is the hermit was surprised by Val's armour but Val was openly wearing it when he met the guy

He asked Val to take it off (so as not to be "armed" in a holy place), but Val secretly kept it on under the robe.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not sure if this is a "the customer is unreasonable" strip or a "the service person is unhelpful/Dustin is a fuckup" strip. It's structured like the former but the strip's bread and butter is very much the latter.

As hard as it is to believe, the past couple Dustin strips have been reasonable.

The smart money is on this being a fluke, but who knows? Maybe something has happened behind the scenes.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dustin has five non-bad strips in a row and the thread starts losing its mind.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 5-7, 1935)

Time traveler spotted. That woman is taking a cellphone photo of their car in 1935. :ninja:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

CommonShore posted:

Val might be the star of the strip, but Beric's always really happy to be involved.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

:laffo:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hattie Masters posted:

Right gently caress it i'm loving done with Overboard. It used to be on the good comics list but it's just got overbearingly tone deaf and twee. I get that its heart is in the right place but this strip just makes me want to walk into the loving ocean. No I don't know why this is the one that broke me, and I would like a Dave's Combo meal please.
I haven't given up on it completely yet, but it isn't very good lately. For example, I like the sentiment of 'being good to your dog is good' and I agree with it, but I don't need to be reminded of that every week.

F Minus

Forum accident posted:

Okay, I know this is from yesterday, but I just can't get over how badly constructed this is. Mark's getting choked out from behind so he slams his speedboat using an outboard motor into reverse (which we know because of the sound effect "Reverse"), and this somehow knocks the attacker backwards, off of Mark. I don't even have a clue what the action in the third panel is trying to tell me. It just bugs me is all.
I think the boat is stopping suddenly, and the third panel is them being thrown forward, which I suppose would surprise the guy behind and enable Mark to get loose, but that is not shown, and neither is how that ends with the guy on his back in the 4th panel. I am also not sure boats can stop that quickly.

I think you're right. It's just not a well-done action sequence.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Also Pearls before Swine strips that coincidently are about a attempted coup during the inauguration week are being pulled.

https://twitter.com/stephanpastis/status/1349405632281993216

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

I think you're right. It's just not a well-done action sequence.
Not helped by the fact that it looks like preliminary sketches to the final art.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I think she had a medical condition, says man talking to a dachshund.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

When I was young I had to ask my parents about this one, and I don't know why but the entire thing stuck in my head, and now whenever I see parsley I think of this.

July 23rd, 1940 Comics

The Shadow

Flyin' Jenny

And of course, Axa

Ripping her clothes off really is her first reaction to just about anything, isn't it?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

First panel: Yeah moomin, that's a common reaction to browsing grindr.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i remember a few years ago seeing commercials all the time for a condition called PBA (inappropriate crying/laughing and other emotional reactions), is mary worth stepping up to fill the disappointing shoes of rex morgan

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She was probably just reminded of a dead husband by the suit in the shop window.

Bogor

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin and Kell (December 28, 1998 - January 1, 1999)

Happy new year! :toot:
Is this the earliest example of holbrook doing a metaphor, and then taking it literally? Except this happened over like 3 strips instead of gradually forgetting it was a metaphor. :staredog:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Zereth posted:

Is this the earliest example of holbrook doing a metaphor, and then taking it literally? Except this happened over like 3 strips instead of gradually forgetting it was a metaphor. :staredog:
Computers are magic, a wizard did it.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 11, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 7, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 13, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 13, 1935)

Dark Laughter (September 9, 1939)

Mopsy Sunday (November 24, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (June 3, 1950)

“Pigeon my eye … it’s one of those foreign agent peace doves they been sending over here. I think he’s s’posed to explode or sompin’!”

Dinky Fellas (April 5, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 5, 1965)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Johnny Walker posted:

Also Pearls before Swine strips that coincidently are about a attempted coup during the inauguration week are being pulled.

https://twitter.com/stephanpastis/status/1349405632281993216

Weird situation, but totally understandable.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Censorship

Skippy (June 30, 1933)

Peanuts (January 16, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "Oh God, This poo poo Again" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 14, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 9-11, 1935)

Toonerville Folks, featuring TOMBOYZENDORGZ. (January 15-17, 1917)

Dok's "Flipping The Bird' Duck (June 3, 1913)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

9 "Oh God, This poo poo Again" Lane

So, uh... at what point do we report Brooke to the authorities? :stare: