Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I bet Shadow King's gonna get up to some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
Spurrier was such a great get for X-Men comics and to see him dealing with Nightcrawler and themes about faith sounds great. Every new DoX book has been so good; I can't remember the last time I was so excited for the whole X-Men comics lineup.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

radlum posted:

Every new DoX book has been so good

I too have done everything in my power to forget Fallen Angels.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm not even joking, literally up until I read your post I had actually forgotten about Fallen Angels.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gologle posted:

I bet Shadow King's gonna get up to some poo poo.

the Shadow King is already getting up to some poo poo in New Mutants!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

Spurrier was such a great get for X-Men comics and to see him dealing with Nightcrawler and themes about faith sounds great. Every new DoX book has been so good; I can't remember the last time I was so excited for the whole X-Men comics lineup.

It's RoX now (Reign of X).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

This is the Way...of X.

Excited that Nightcrawler is leading an X book. Always been my favorite X-Man.

Who are the two characters on the right side of the stained glass?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

This is the Way...of X.

Excited that Nightcrawler is leading an X book. Always been my favorite X-Man.

Who are the two characters on the right side of the stained glass?

the girl is Loa, a Hawaiian mutant who's power is that she's Kitty Pryde but when she passes through things (or things pass through her), they break apart.

the boy is DJ, who's powers change depending on what kind of music he's listening to.

The Marvel Wiki posted:

Acoustic Eclectic Mimicry: DJ possesses the ability to transform music to create various effects. Different styles of music create different effects, all depending on what he is listening to.
    Concussive Blasts: "Hard" music like rock allows him to generate damaging blasts.
    Forcefields: Classical music allows him to create forcefields.
    Photokinesis: Dance music enables him to create blinding lights.
    Flight: Gospel music allows him to fly.
    Healing: Blues music grants him the ability to heal others. Not himself however.
    Chronokinesis: Techno music allows Mark to stop time within his immediate vicinity

Alaois fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nightcrawler and the Teleporters

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Nightcrawler and the Teleporters

Has Vanisher been shown in anything since the relaunch, like a background shot or something? I think he was dead and I can't imagine he'd be super high on the resurrection list since everyone loving hates him, but teleporters are incredibly useful.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Has Vanisher been shown in anything since the relaunch, like a background shot or something? I think he was dead and I can't imagine he'd be super high on the resurrection list since everyone loving hates him, but teleporters are incredibly useful.

he was also in S.W.O.R.D., in the Big Pile Of Teleporters

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Alaois posted:

the girl is Loa, a Hawaiian mutant who's power is that she's Kitty Pryde but when she passes through things (or things pass through her), they break apart.

the boy is DJ, who's powers change depending on what kind of music he's listening to.

Heard of Loa before, but I don't think I've read anything with her in it.

DJ sounds like one of the mutants I would have made up when I was a teenager. Rare to find an X character I've never heard of. What's he from?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

he was also in S.W.O.R.D., in the Big Pile Of Teleporters

Oh poo poo, yeah. I should re-read SWORD. That was a great book.
We're getting the second issue of that next week if the timeline in this weeks books are correct.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

DJ sounds like one of the mutants I would have made up when I was a teenager. Rare to find an X character I've never heard of. What's he from?

DJ was one of the students in the 2000s New Mutants series by Nunzio DeFillipis and Christina Weir, when they broke up the student body into "squads" led by different teachers. Then he got depowered in M-Day and blown up on a bus by the Purifiers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alaois posted:

DJ was one of the students in the 2000s New Mutants series by Nunzio DeFillipis and Christina Weir, when they broke up the student body into "squads" led by different teachers. Then he got depowered in M-Day and blown up on a bus by the Purifiers.

And before you ask, no he didn't do anything cool with his powers in New Mutants either

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah. I should re-read SWORD. That was a great book.
We're getting the second issue of that next week if the timeline in this weeks books are correct.

sadly, issue 2 is apparently a king in black tie in.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blockhouse posted:

And before you ask, no he didn't do anything cool with his powers in New Mutants either

Yeah I was gonna say, I can't remember DJ actually doing anything except dying. Also holy poo poo is someone actually going to do something with Loa?
Yes it's me, I'm the guy who likes all the weird obscure forgotten Academy X kids.

Also I just reread "Wolverine and Jubilee" this morning (which shoulda been titled "Wolverine and Jubilee and Rockslide") and the trade has Jubilee's origin issue at the end. I'm not well-versed in X-history but as soon as Storm ended up in a bathtub with Psylocke, I flipped back to the cover and sure enough - Claremont.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SI SPURRIER YOU ABSOLUTE loving COWARD

HOW DARE YOU PUT ALL THE BEST TELEPORTERS IN A TEAM EXCEPT MURMUR THE MUTANT MUMMY

the people demand murmur, spurrier

we demand murmur

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
GenX was great with the colorist that understood it was secretly a horror comic.

Less so with the colorist who just discovered the lens flare filter in photoshop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally having read X-Factor this morning, I get what BrianWilly is saying, but don't really agree with it. The team is several individuals and they all act different, and more or less in-character. Daken is absolutely unnecessarily aggressive where it's unwarranted. He's also an unrepentant killer and rapist, so that he only popped his claws at the sample-taker is showing restraint, if anything (getting thrown in a bottomless hole will do that). Polaris picks the racist guy up, and drops him a bit, but she's usually not one to take poo poo in more modern interpretations. Eyeboy is kind, brushes off the blatant racism, and just does what he's there to do, as is Prodigy. Northstar actively tries to de-escalate. Rachel is also there. So, no, I don't think it's an X-Factor problem, or a Krakoa problem - it's a Daken and Polaris problem. And I can't imagine with the ending that Polaris will get any better!

Also Hellions was great and I loved Nanny and Wildchild not giving a poo poo about the idiot ranting about mutants and just went and did what they were there to do.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Completely unrelated, but do you have any idea how weird it is for me to be able to think and say "X-Men is back baby?" I haven't felt like this since House of M, possibly even before then. It feels like we're living in a new golden age of X-Men comics.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Squizzle posted:

SI SPURRIER YOU ABSOLUTE loving COWARD

HOW DARE YOU PUT ALL THE BEST TELEPORTERS IN A TEAM EXCEPT MURMUR THE MUTANT MUMMY

the people demand murmur, spurrier

we demand murmur

This is still one of my favourite visualisations for teleportation. So cool.

I'm super excited for Way of X. I just hope the X-Men oversaturation doesn't start to wear on me. :ohdear:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gologle posted:

Completely unrelated, but do you have any idea how weird it is for me to be able to think and say "X-Men is back baby?" I haven't felt like this since House of M, possibly even before then. It feels like we're living in a new golden age of X-Men comics.

I think about this all the time. I’m only reading like five books that aren’t X related.

A few of the X writers were on the latest Jay and Miles, and they talked about Hickman (who is a possible cat and/or wizard) pounded a fist on the desk and said “We have to give them wins!” Not just the X-Men, but the fans too. I stopped reading X-Men for a long time because there was just way too much misery.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I like a lot of the Utopia era books, but it is largely a lot of misery. Which is weird since it's called the Utopia Era.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really disliked the Utopia era although it ends up setting up some stuff I liked quite a bit. Bendis is where I got to "maybe I don't like the X-men anymore."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gologle posted:

Absolutely. There's been the odd stumble (coughFallenAngelscough) and some head scratching but I can't think of a relaunch as solid as this.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
"What are you looking at, Masque?"

"Two assholes."

God drat I love Marauders.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve just been reading the thread and haven’t read X-Men for decades but *boy* I don’t like when Xavier is addressing the world and says that mutants will replace humans. That rings all sorts of alarm bells for me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve just been reading the thread and haven’t read X-Men for decades but *boy* I don’t like when Xavier is addressing the world and says that mutants will replace humans. That rings all sorts of alarm bells for me

You should probably actually read the comic before having an opinion about it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

You should probably actually read the comic before having an opinion about it.

I mean, the “mutants will replace humanity” line has been in the comics for a long time, and so has the idea of mutant supremacy, and I’m not the first person to note that those are maybe a bit worrying?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I mean, the “mutants will replace humanity” line has been in the comics for a long time, and so has the idea of mutant supremacy, and I’m not the first person to note that those are maybe a bit worrying?

Again, you should probably actually read the comic.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

Again, you should probably actually read the comic.

I don’t really want to spend the money on Xmen right now so I’ll guess I’ll just ask questions instead because hearing about the nonsense going on in current Xmen is fun.

I remember there being a kid with a Sentinel. How’s he doing and does he still have a Sentinel?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m not the first person to note that those are maybe a bit worrying?

This is kind of what the comics are about right now although it's not really clear yet how the whole situation is going to shake out. I think they're for the most part really enjoyable reads but you know, I think Hickman set up similarly fraught questions with his Avengers run and dropped the ball, so I can't promise a satisfying conclusion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I remember there being a kid with a Sentinel. How’s he doing and does he still have a Sentinel?

that kid got offed like 8 years ago dude

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alaois posted:

that kid got offed like 8 years ago dude

gently caress.

Is the Sentinel still okay???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I love that Callisto has gone through resurrection and still has the eye-patch. That is commitment to a personal brand, she'll wear the white pant suit for Emma Frost but you can't even pry that eye patch from her cold dead fingers.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I wonder if they'll ever get to some of the philosophical issues of the resurrection protocol? Even a perfect copy is just a copy, and the original consciousness/brain is gone. Maybe in Way of X?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder if they'll ever get to some of the philosophical issues of the resurrection protocol? Even a perfect copy is just a copy, and the original consciousness/brain is gone. Maybe in Way of X?

I think that's probably the raison d'etre for Way of X.

Like, characters in these comics have discussed this on panels that have widely been shared and so many people are like "They haven't really considered this."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Can’t they just ask some of their mystical friends what’s up with their souls? They’ve got to know somebody who can answer that question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dani's a former valkyrie, guido used to run hell, kurt has full recollection of his time in heaven, etc. it seems to fall under the adage "don't ask questions you don't want answered".

oh, and then there's layla miller whose mutant power is specifically resurrecting people sans soul.