Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah they are such perfect companions. Both to each other and to reprieve me of the poo poo and stress of life. Just listening to Jah attempting to explain Terence Mckenna to Seth only for Seth to go "Yip" a few eps back, perfect. And then in the latest ep Seth referencing Mckenna in a way that you just know he has gone and researched him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fantasizing about Jah not being exactly as he is, is some foolishness. UYD exists as it is solely due to the interaction between the hosts - if either were any different, the show would be unrecognizable.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Also as far as content goes, Seth would never rescue a parrot from the middle of the road on superbowl sunday and then give it a viking burial at the beach. RIP parrot larroquette

This story pairs well with the one in which he tries to mercy kill a rat and it ends with the rat suffering a horrible, thrashing death in his bath tub.

I caught up on some episodes from this summer and I love the ten minutes he spent reading the Wikipedia article on Terrence McKenna's theory that the universe is a novelty engine which was outputting increasing levels of novelty and complexity, and how based on the I Ching the world would end in 2012, and how in his drug-induced paranoia Jonathan fully bought into this idea.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 12, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
J gave them that early boost by having all his friends and associated people listen. Then it just grew on it's own merit.

Pretty much everything on twitch/youtube/itunes has to have some sort of injection. How many people actually worked their way up from 0 viewers and actually make it big without any boosts? I think it's virtually impossible.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I laughed really hard the other day at Jah's insta when he was saying the twitch stream was going to be the 7th, then it was delayed to the 8th, then it was delayed to the 9th, and maybe delayed once more? It didn't seem like there was a reason other than he decided to do other things and it just so perfectly is a Jah moment.

Paraphrasing from 837: "if any thing I've learnt from doing this show, because it's not in my nature, is that people do appreciate the frequency and reliability of that stuff ... more so than I probably do, myself ..."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The joy of UYD is that neither is the straight man; they're both psychotic in very different ways.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

well why not posted:

Paraphrasing from 837: "if any thing I've learnt from doing this show, because it's not in my nature, is that people do appreciate the frequency and reliability of that stuff ... more so than I probably do, myself ..."

I listened up through the late 300s then took a long break until recently, but I seem to remember a stretch of months back then where every week he swore he was going to ship out some t-shirts and apologizing for the delay. Rinse repeat. Classic, genius Jah.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They decided that they will never read out names from the audience or have guests (apart from parents). That was such a good decision. I think they make the right decisions when it counts. UYD just wouldn't work with some random guest from another podcast on.

They tried ads as well and that sucked. I think they always made the right choice.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

They tried ads as well and that sucked. I think they always made the right choice.
I think maybe the big thing they slept on was not keeping up with filming the episodes after they started at #100. There’s a lot of great visual interactions between them that show up in the few they did film or the newer ones and I think if they’d consistently filmed them from early on they’d have a much bigger YouTube presence (whether that’s good or bad 🤷🏻‍♂️)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A lot of podcasts take a little clip from each episode and release that on youtube. They're way more share-able than a one hour podcast. UYD could always be doing things in a more efficient way, but that's just not really how this podcast operates.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

TACD posted:

I think maybe the big thing they slept on was not keeping up with filming the episodes after they started at #100. There’s a lot of great visual interactions between them that show up in the few they did film or the newer ones and I think if they’d consistently filmed them from early on they’d have a much bigger YouTube presence (whether that’s good or bad 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Yeah, I got into UYD because of the "craigshouse" clips on youtube from whenever they were posted!

well why not posted:

A lot of podcasts take a little clip from each episode and release that on youtube. They're way more share-able than a one hour podcast. UYD could always be doing things in a more efficient way, but that's just not really how this podcast operates.

This exactly. Everything that makes it not a giant commercial success adds to the charm.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm not sure what people think they missed with uyd. It's amazing but it's still niche. I don't actually think they would have gone huge mainstream. They have a really specific style. I guess the youtube stuff.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I remember them having an ad for something, was it a tv show?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Depths posted:

I remember them having an ad for something, was it a tv show?

I think some aussie tv show. Some other US stuff I can't remember exactly (and I listen to the re runs).

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Guido Merkens posted:

I listened up through the late 300s then took a long break until recently, but I seem to remember a stretch of months back then where every week he swore he was going to ship out some t-shirts and apologizing for the delay. Rinse repeat. Classic, genius Jah.

The fact that he genuinely feels a lot of guilt about it and yet will never change is what makes it awesome, especially when he does some kind of on air apology to either the viewers or to seth.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I remember them having an ad for the show entourage and I think that aussie show Summer heights high? And the site Adam and eve.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 13, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There you go. loving entourage. Never again.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I believe it was Entourage (2004–2011) of all shows.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I've never seen it, but I remember it was a thing that people watched (and I don't remember the plugs being too intrusive). It's bad?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Didn’t they used to do adds for chips as well?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I could never tell if those were ads or the boys just really liked cool ranch doritos or w.e haha, like Seth and his short lived love of yerba mate

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

I've never seen it, but I remember it was a thing that people watched (and I don't remember the plugs being too intrusive). It's bad?

It was weird. With say entourage. That is exactly the type of show I would expect seth ripping to pieces if it was brought up normally.

Ads just don't feel right for some reason. Anyway it doesn't really matter now. They are making loads of money from patreon right?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There was a kind of weird HBO thing they got involved in that led to them doing the Entourage ads. They were actively trying to turn the podcast into a TV show right? I think Seth also talked recently on the anniversary that around this time they both thought big things were about to happen with UYD and nothing ever came of it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jippa posted:

It was weird. With say entourage. That is exactly the type of show I would expect seth ripping to pieces if it was brought up normally.

Ads just don't feel right for some reason. Anyway it doesn't really matter now. They are making loads of money from patreon right?

12k a month, pretty high but not not in the top tier of podcasts - #94 according to graphtreon. Probably totally livable if you're smart - some of the other high earning shows have larger casts or crew. We Hate Movies is 4 people, Chapo Trap House is 5 + Producer.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
In (I think) their first episode advertising Entourage, Seth drops a reference to Vinnie Chase in one of his stories. Jonathan has no clue who Vinnie Chase is.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

well why not posted:

12k a month, pretty high but not not in the top tier of podcasts - #94 according to graphtreon. Probably totally livable if you're smart - some of the other high earning shows have larger casts or crew. We Hate Movies is 4 people, Chapo Trap House is 5 + Producer.

For some reason I have it in my head that Jah doesn't take as large of a cut as Seth because in his own words "I've been lucky to never have to really worry about money", but there's also Jeff (I think that's his name?) that films, and I'm not sure how many others?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

quote:

And what comes out of [The HBO Sponsorship]?

Jonathan: About $400 each per month.

Seth: We don’t discuss figures. What comes out of it? Can I tell you what comes out of it? Being associated with HBO. Which has more Emmy nominations in the last 10 years than any other loving network. That’s what comes out of it, Patrick.

https://ohmars.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/the-rbm-x-uyd-interview-straight-loving-flapjacks/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

For some reason I have it in my head that Jah doesn't take as large of a cut as Seth because in his own words "I've been lucky to never have to really worry about money", but there's also Jeff (I think that's his name?) that films, and I'm not sure how many others?

I guess Laroquette Sr. money is very good. It kinda sounded like Jah was thanking the patrons explicitly for Seth’s lifestyle in the recent ep. Seth does do a lot more research and likely needs the money more.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Can you imagine them wanting to split the money 50/50 like there's equal effort going on there

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

well why not posted:

I guess Laroquette Sr. money is very good. It kinda sounded like Jah was thanking the patrons explicitly for Seth’s lifestyle in the recent ep. Seth does do a lot more research and likely needs the money more.

Yeah Jah might even just give it all to Seth.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
remember when jah showed up in a "homeless or hipster" video

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I have to shake my head when I hear there were actually people out there who got upset because they never received their UYD shirt, or that it was super late. Did those people even LISTEN to the show?

The second they found out Jonathan had anything to do with it they must have realised the chances of them actually getting the merch were 50-50 AT BEST. Consider it a donation; a "possibility" or a "feeling" that one day you MIGHT own a sweet shirt. Isn't that enough? :lol:

I mean I do get it - people and their hard-earned money is a sensitive issue, and I agree that charging people for goods and services and not delivering IS hosed up, even if you're not actively malevolent about it. But come on...are you a fan or not? Saying that you got ripped off by Jah's innate ability to screw everything up and then having a laugh about it is WAY better than owning a dumb shirt.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 13, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Crescendo posted:

I have to shake my head when I hear there were actually people out there who got upset because they never received their UYD shirt, or that it was super late. Did those people even LISTEN to the show?

The second they found out Jonathan had anything to do with it they must have realised the chances of them actually getting the merch were 50-50 AT BEST. Consider it a donation; a "possibility" or a "feeling" that one day you MIGHT own a sweet shirt. Isn't that enough? :lol:

I mean I do get it - people and their hard-earned money is a sensitive issue, and I agree that charging people for goods and services and not delivering IS hosed up, even if you're not actively malevolent about it. But come on...are you a fan or not? Saying that you got ripped off by Jah's innate ability to screw everything up and having a laugh about it is way better than owning a dumb shirt.

This post has reminded me that I once ordered a UYD shirt about 10 years ago.

I wonder if anyone ever got it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have one. It took quite some time to arrive but it’s a neat thing to have.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Riptor posted:

remember when jah showed up in a "homeless or hipster" video
I think I may have seen this but I would sure like to see it again, have a link?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Let's get a double feature on jah vids and pull up the one he appears on about voting for Obama

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

TACD posted:

I think I may have seen this but I would sure like to see it again, have a link?

Trying to find it but can't. I think it may be buried in the thread somewhere

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just buy your merch at live shows, if they ever have them again and if you live close enough to one. It worked for me! :v:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I have one and I'm in little old Aotearoa so well done, J. I appreciate it.

I was thinking about UYD last night as I was falling asleep, and I was thinking how vunrable it might feel to have all your fiobles and issues out in the public domain like Jah and Seth do. But I think they know a vast majority of people who bother paying attention to them do so out of a sympathetic shared understanding that we're all a bit hosed and love 'em anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I've got plenty of T-shirts, only merch issue I've ever had was they sent the black Cali license plate pin in a normal envelope and that thing 100% did not make it through the USPS sorting machinery. I received an empty envelope that had been ripped in half.

Half of Dracula posted:

Let's get a double feature on jah vids and pull up the one he appears on about voting for Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdWFlDkuIg

1:07 bottom left corner

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 14, 2021