Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
who's got the good recipe for chongqing noodles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chongqing-noodles/

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

I bookmarked this last week to cook on New Years Day. Pretty pumped. I've never actually cooked lamb before.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Professor Wayne posted:

I bookmarked this last week to cook on New Years Day. Pretty pumped. I've never actually cooked lamb before.

drat, there's some deep technique in that video.

Enjoy your first try at lamb, it's a delicious protein. My local Sichuan place has a house special Cumin lamb that is individual ribs with a spice rub of mostly cumin, plus salt and chili powder to balance the bitterness. Very good.

The video mentions lamb shank. I've cooked a lot of pork shank, which is similar, and my best results were putting it in the oven at 275 for 5 hours. The bone comes out clean, and the meat is super tender. I use a clay pot, but just covered with foil gives similar results.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What is he adding to the water for soaking the lamb?

vvvv righto. My Chinese is getting rusty :/ Thanks!

edit 2: just remember there's captions. welp.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 1, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

What is he adding to the water for soaking the lamb?

baking soda, as a meat tenderizer.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It came out browner than his (and I only had an orange pepper handy), but it was amazingly good! Definitely going into the rotation.

At 2:07 in the video, the subtitles say "white peppercorn powder." But it looks like sichuan peppercorn, so I went with that instead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the subtitle is wrong, he says Sichuan pepper powder.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What does litsea taste like?

https://youtu.be/mDwF1VVJC14

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Looking for an easy recipe/ratio to make bao dough, like the fluffy ones for char siu bao.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jhet posted:

X-post from the Gardening thread.

I got these in yesterday, thanks again! Excited to give them a go this spring.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hauki posted:

I got these in yesterday, thanks again! Excited to give them a go this spring.

Awesome. The ones I sent to my family arrived to them, so I expect that everyone should have their seeds this week. Good luck with the growing. With 4 plants in my basement I cook with about 8 peppers a week. I expect that if I had 4 plants outside with more space that I might be drowning in them. This would not be a problem as they dried out really well.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I've been in Hong Kong I often see, hung in the windows of shops, what my family has always called 'steamroller duck'. It's a cooked duck that looks like it's been run over by a steamroller - like a flattened football. Does anyone know the proper name for this, or what exactly it is?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Anjow posted:

When I've been in Hong Kong I often see, hung in the windows of shops, what my family has always called 'steamroller duck'. It's a cooked duck that looks like it's been run over by a steamroller - like a flattened football. Does anyone know the proper name for this, or what exactly it is?

I think that’s just roasted duck (“siu aap”)? It might also be a goose (“siu ngo”). If it’s duck you might know it as Peking duck in English.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anjow posted:

You could always full on French and get yourself a duck press

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Anjow posted:

pei pa duck?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Boris Galerkin posted:

Looking for an easy recipe/ratio to make bao dough, like the fluffy ones for char siu bao.

It's not authentic but my wife and I have been repurposing King Arthur's kolache dough recipe to make extra soft bao with a bit of tang to them. They've been absolutely delicious, although a little difficult to make smaller bao.

EDIT:

Jhet posted:

Awesome. The ones I sent to my family arrived to them, so I expect that everyone should have their seeds this week. Good luck with the growing. With 4 plants in my basement I cook with about 8 peppers a week. I expect that if I had 4 plants outside with more space that I might be drowning in them. This would not be a problem as they dried out really well.

I also got mine as well, thank you so much!

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
yesterday, wok stir fried brussels sprouts in black bean sauce. they cooked all the way through and got some nice charring on the edges. however, they were soft overall and not crispy.

if i wanted to achieve a crispy exterior, might it be viable to slightly undercook them on the wok and then finish them in a broiler under high heat to get the outsides toasty?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jam2 posted:

yesterday, wok stir fried brussels sprouts in black bean sauce. they cooked all the way through and got some nice charring on the edges. however, they were soft overall and not crispy.

if i wanted to achieve a crispy exterior, might it be viable to slightly undercook them on the wok and then finish them in a broiler under high heat to get the outsides toasty?

I had some deep fried brussel sprouts a week ago and they were crispy on the outside and soft on the interior. I'd think that maybe you just need higher heat in the fry, but that'll get messed up and start to go a little soft when you add any liquid from your sauce. I normally just roast them cut in half with the inside facing up and they get plenty crispy, but if you have one that's inside down it'll get mushy with all the moisture getting trapped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jam2 posted:

When I do dry fried brussels sprouts, usually I halve them and stick them in the oven at full blast to get the initial charring + drive off moisture, and prep the rest while that's going on. Then they go in the wok for just a minute or two to combine. Gets nice and crispy and charred the way you want it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Anjow posted:

It might be lap ap (pardon my terrible transliteration 臘鴨)? It's just a cured duck, often two-dimensional-looking like you mentioned, preserved in salt and seasonings and then eventually hung up to dry-cure some more.
You can see some here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nizx9Rz9Vs

My family at least uses it in stews and claypot rice (soak it first to get some of the salt out and rehydrate it a bit), and my dad says my great-grandmother would save fat trimmings to melt for cooking especially delicious vegetables.

e: found a more official transliteration, though it looks wrong to me - missing sounds.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 18, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jhet posted:

I got my seeds too, thank you goon sire. Looking forward to planting them some months from now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Want to make cheung fun but every recipe I found calls for wheat starch and I’m not sure what that is or have any. I have tapioca and corn starch, and whatever they’d sell at like Kroger/Target. (No Asian supermarket close by.) What can I use in place of wheat starch?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Potato starch. You're able to get the main ingredient rice flour, though?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

droll posted:

Potato starch. You're able to get the main ingredient rice flour, though?

Yep, I have that (rice flour).

E: I randomly saw they sold white rice flour (from Bob’s Red Mill) at the supermarket and decided on the spot to try to make the noodles.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 26, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Good luck with it. We used one of the rice flour bags that Asian markets sell specifically for cheung fan / banh cuon, which has all the ingredients already in it. I think there's some glutinous rice flour in it as well. We didn't have a good steaming tray setup so they were kind of wonky. Have you thought about the hardware/technique you'll use?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

droll posted:

Good luck with it. We used one of the rice flour bags that Asian markets sell specifically for cheung fan / banh cuon, which has all the ingredients already in it. I think there's some glutinous rice flour in it as well. We didn't have a good steaming tray setup so they were kind of wonky. Have you thought about the hardware/technique you'll use?

The websites I’m seeing just say to use like a square cake pan placed inside a big pot with a lid. Guess I’ll find out later this week how well this works

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
How do you guys feel about using canned bamboo shoots? Fuschia Dunlop seems to be dead set against it and recommends using celery or something else for a lot of recipes, so I'm wondering if anybody has a strong opinion or had fresh shoots and can compare?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Canned are pretty bad compared to fresh. But if you haven't had fresh you don't know what you're missing, so may as well if you like 'em.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

hui guo rou anyone?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ I’d be happy to devour that.

I’ve discovered that it’s a much practiced skill to cleave a chicken into consistent sized pieces. But it’s becoming a favorite way to do things. I also have decided to not make much in the way of things with names and just put things together using techniques. It’s leading to mostly good flavors.

I will also never not enjoy fresh peppers in January.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Canned are pretty bad compared to fresh. But if you haven't had fresh you don't know what you're missing, so may as well if you like 'em.

I'm meh on them, so if there's a fresher substitute, I'm all for it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I do miss the real bamboo shoots, so delicious

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like canned bamboo shoots, because they evoke childhood memories of really bad Chinese food for me, but if I'm trying to be all hipster about I'll leave it out. I've never seen fresh ones available, but I should probably look harder.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thotsky posted:

I like canned bamboo shoots, because they evoke childhood memories of really bad Chinese food for me, but if I'm trying to be all hipster about I'll leave it out. I've never seen fresh ones available, but I should probably look harder.

Canned baby corn for me. And water chestnuts. The baby corn has that good canned flavor from preserving it. I will use them once in a while just because nostalgia purposes too. It's only a problem when people try to be pretentious about food. I've found preserved whole bamboo shoots in bags before and they were better, but I can only imagine fresh so I'll just use what I have available. I'd rather use celery most of the time.

There is a store where I can find big bags of gai lan and gai choi and lots of other greens and shoots and things that I'd never find at a generic grocery that caters to suburban white US people. I still haven't found any fresh bamboo shoots, but it's coming up on the season for it so maybe this will change.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hi Chinese food goons, I'm looking for some inspiration and advice. Both my free time and brain space have been really lacking lately due to some personal poo poo, so would love at least a good direction to start in.

At the restaurant I work at, I've been tasked with developing and pitching a new dish. The brief is pretty much, "super flavorful, super delicious, super spicy." We're not looking for crazy food challenge dish, not using any capcaicin extract, but aiming for spiciest non-extract dish in the city (Austin). My ideal customer reaction is "Oh god it hurts so much but it's so good I can't stop eating it."

I've really been wanting to do a dry noodle dish, so I am probably going to selfishly start there, but with us being takeout only right now, noodle dishes aren't great because they degrade in quality so fast. If anyone has recommendations for different noodles that would hold up in a box for 15+ minutes, or preparation methods to help increase quality time, that would be awesome.

Assuming that doesn't work out though, I would love some other dishes that are traditionally heavy on the spice that I could research, adapt to our particular brand and then dial up the spice. Anything come to mind? We already do a very lively mapo and kung pao.

As far as ratcheting up the spice while also bringing flavor, we already have fresh and dry Thai chilies, Ning Chi Super Hot oil, and a batch of REALLY good Scorpion Pepper powder. The powder is super fruity, almost like apricot, but also smokey and peppery. Really freaking good. We also regularly get in jalapenos, serranos and habaneros that we smoke/dry for some stuff, but probably want to go hotter. Any other ingredients that I should be looking into on that front? We have two really good Asian specialty suppliers, and the two biggest Chinese markets in the city are within 5 minutes from us and we make frequent trips.

Thanks a ton for any help goons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Laziji is the first thing that comes to mind. It's one of the few Sichuan dishes that is genuinely melt your face hot. Beyond that I'd be looking into Hunan and Guizhou recipes, those are the two spiciest provinces. I am not familiar enough with them to name dishes but if you're looking for rear end destroying foods those are where to start.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Boneless laziji or dapanji would probably be big hits. Dapanji cheaper to make as it includes onion and potatoes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dapanji is great. I don't remember it being spicy but there's no reason you couldn't load it with peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Chongqing chicken? You can always add hotter peppers, but most of things won’t reach the level of “fuuuu” unless you make them to be that. Which is cool and I’d still eat it.

Start adding in Sichuan pepper to thing and bring in the numbing too?

Also start looking for other hot pepper varieties. There are plenty of powders you can utilize to kick it up too. 7pot, Scorpions are good, ghost peppers or bhut jolokia are fantastic. Then of course Carolina Reapers. I’d go with the others first as they’re easier to balance. I’d also try out making chile oils and chile crisp with those to add to what you’re making. Lao gan ma on noodles is just stellar lunch anyway.

Noodles don’t travel as well when wet, but I’ve had plenty of dry fried that are good. If you got the right noodles for Hot Dry Noodles That should travel okay too.