Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

The guy with the 2080 thought it was only worth $300. He's not the smartest. I looked and see it's at least $500. Probably going to donate a portion of potential proceeds instead. drat GPU market though. Thought I was done with this poo poo once I got a 3080. Already sold by 1070 back in October.

That’s the wrong decision, especially with how hosed GPU stock is.

2080 is a monster card. And way more than enough for a gift machine.

It’ll perform somewhere between a 3060 and a 3070, which is exactly what the cash value is of that card. On top of that, you have to find one which is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I still think the used system I linked you is a good deal especially below $500. Hard to put together new for under $600 these days. The PSU is junk but all it would need is a PSU ($110) and a monitor to get going same day.

AMD 2600 isn't really available anymore but is a solid 6 core 12 thread CPU. The 3600 will set you back $325 just to get in the door between CPU and board.

Do not sell that card that's absurd and one hell of a gift. Plenty of my friends with 2070 Supers are sitting out this entire generation. The new consoles will punch with an AMD 2600 / 2080 all generation, that's a fairly high end gaming PC. "Cyberpunk at 1440p high with RTX off"

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I think it comes down to him not wanting to donate that much. If it was cash he was thinking $300. If he did put in the card, we'd probably say keep $200 of the other funds. Let's say that puts us at $500 remaining. Don't think that's enough for the rest of the PC plus monitor and peripherals. It's the issue that the GPU eats up too much of the budget.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bus hustler posted:

Plenty of my friends with 2070 Supers are sitting out this entire generation.

I sold my 2070S for $510 after fees and bought a 3070 for $600 total :shrug:

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Sorry it’s not working dude. Hopefully we can help.

Unless UPS hosed up the card in the short like 80 mile trip I know it works as I pulled it when I got my 3080. So I don’t think it’s that.

I remember encountering a similar problem when I first built mine with that card too. Here’s what I’d try.

Pull out the GPU. Connect the monitor to the motherboard directly and see if you can get into BIOS. I’m seeing lots of errors here for this board due to the default of “auto” for video out detection being lovely.

If you’re still not getting any video, look up the BIOS key for your board (probably f2) and try combos of mashing/holding the key to see if you can get anywhere.

Oh god I just had to press F2. How embarassing. Now I just need to buy one of those windows keys to boot from. Exciting!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Edit: n/m

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hutzpah posted:

Oh god I just had to press F2. How embarassing. Now I just need to buy one of those windows keys to boot from. Exciting!

Lol.

Glad to be of assistance. If I remember that was my problem last time too.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Hello! So I've managed to fix the VGA light problem on my motherboard by buying a new PSU. Now the GPU fans turn, everything seems to work, except... the boot light on my motherboard is on. Normally I would go into BIOS to fix it, but my monitor keeps saying there's no signal. I've tried different cables, multiple ports, etc, etc, and no dice. The CPU doesn't have onboard graphics, so without the GPU communicating with the monitor, there's not much I can do. Any suggestions?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pinball posted:

Hello! So I've managed to fix the VGA light problem on my motherboard by buying a new PSU. Now the GPU fans turn, everything seems to work, except... the boot light on my motherboard is on. Normally I would go into BIOS to fix it, but my monitor keeps saying there's no signal. I've tried different cables, multiple ports, etc, etc, and no dice. The CPU doesn't have onboard graphics, so without the GPU communicating with the monitor, there's not much I can do. Any suggestions?
Is this a new build? I had this happen when I first booted my PC but forgot to have the thumb stick with my Windows boot file on it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Okay so I know I was saying that I was going to just use my old video card, and I currently am, BUT! BUT! What if I got a new video card???

The hot freshness everyone wants right now is the 3060 Ti, correct?

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I'm upgrading to a new machine, and I have two potential memory configurations to use, both for 16GB. One is a single-channel 16GB stick at 3200MHz, the other is a 2x8GB dual-channel kit at 3000MHz. Which of those is the better option for a game-focused machine, should I go with the higher clock speed or the dual-channel? The rest of the machine is a Ryzen 7 2700x and a 3070, to be used for 1080p/120Hz gaming, if that makes much difference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Go with the dual channel. Even dual channel 2400mhz is better than single channel anything.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the performance difference on 200mhz is trivial and it would have to be the worst RAM ever made if you couldn't OC it to 3200 MHz anyway, I'm running my 2666mhz RAM ez at 3200. run the duals.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Mu Zeta posted:

Go with the dual channel. Even dual channel 2400mhz is better than single channel anything.

bus hustler posted:

the performance difference on 200mhz is trivial and it would have to be the worst RAM ever made if you couldn't OC it to 3200 MHz anyway, I'm running my 2666mhz RAM ez at 3200. run the duals.

Great, will do. Thanks!

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I got the PC built last night but don’t have a usb to install windows (lol) so guess I’ll be doing that this afternoon.

I booted everything and the bios recognized the CPU, RAM and SSD. It didn’t show anything about the graphics card but I had the monitor plugged into it so I assumed it’s working.

One hitch I ran into is that two plastic pegs broke on the front panel of the case when I was removing it to install fans. Does Fractal Design have good support to replace the panel or will I have to pay some fee?

Honestly I’m a little disappointed in the case overall compared to the Define I bought 5 years ago. It’s nice that it’s smaller but it only came with two case fans (glad I bought some extras) and the parts feel a little cheap.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wrr posted:

Okay so I know I was saying that I was going to just use my old video card, and I currently am, BUT! BUT! What if I got a new video card???

The hot freshness everyone wants right now is the 3060 Ti, correct?

Like everything about computers, it depends on your targets and your budget. I'm assuming you're deciding between the 3060 Ti and the 3070.

If you're on 1080 resolution, the 3060 is the answer, no problem. If you're on 4k, the 3070 is the answer, no problem (but you may want to think about saving up and bumping to a 3080). At 1440, the answer is a little harder. In terms of pure math, the 3060 Ti is better bang for buck; benchmarks seem to show the move to a 3070 gets you 15-20% FPS jumps for a price increase of about 25%. That being said, even that increase gives you more room to not make compromises on graphical settings, and the price-to-performance ratio isn't impossible to justify (like it is for the 3090).

The other thing worth keeping an eye on is the forthcoming RTX 3060, which is going to be (relatively) cheap and have lots of VRAM. The VRAM thing is especially interesting, since the Xbox Series and PS5's larger RAM pools may push VRAM requirements up on the PC end. That's a bit speculative, though; right now, the 8GB the 30xx cards come equipped with is sufficient.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have been running CP2077 on my 3070 at 1440p and it works real well. I was told for 4K resolution a 3080 would be better but good luck finding one.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is this a new build? I had this happen when I first booted my PC but forgot to have the thumb stick with my Windows boot file on it.

It is a new build. I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Fingers crossed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pinball posted:

It is a new build. I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Fingers crossed.
Yes that is probably the issue

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boxman posted:

Like everything about computers, it depends on your targets and your budget. I'm assuming you're deciding between the 3060 Ti and the 3070.

If you're on 1080 resolution, the 3060 is the answer, no problem. If you're on 4k, the 3070 is the answer, no problem (but you may want to think about saving up and bumping to a 3080). At 1440, the answer is a little harder. In terms of pure math, the 3060 Ti is better bang for buck; benchmarks seem to show the move to a 3070 gets you 15-20% FPS jumps for a price increase of about 25%. That being said, even that increase gives you more room to not make compromises on graphical settings, and the price-to-performance ratio isn't impossible to justify (like it is for the 3090).

The other thing worth keeping an eye on is the forthcoming RTX 3060, which is going to be (relatively) cheap and have lots of VRAM. The VRAM thing is especially interesting, since the Xbox Series and PS5's larger RAM pools may push VRAM requirements up on the PC end. That's a bit speculative, though; right now, the 8GB the 30xx cards come equipped with is sufficient.

The 3070 is going to struggle in general at 4K. The 3080 struggles to roll 60FPS in some games at 4k with settings turned up (and why bother playing at 4k if you’re turning settings down)?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The 3070 is going to struggle in general at 4K. The 3080 struggles to roll 60FPS in some games at 4k with settings turned up (and why bother playing at 4k if you’re turning settings down)?

Some games apparently utilize DLSS better at 4K than 2k? Posters in this very thread have mentioned how much less blurry Cyberpunk is at that resolution even with higher levels of DLSS. Then again, I'm not really one to talk since I'm fine with playing games at 1440p on my 4K tv without even noticing

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

I still think the used system I linked you is a good deal especially below $500. Hard to put together new for under $600 these days. The PSU is junk but all it would need is a PSU ($110) and a monitor to get going same day.

AMD 2600 isn't really available anymore but is a solid 6 core 12 thread CPU. The 3600 will set you back $325 just to get in the door between CPU and board.

Do not sell that card that's absurd and one hell of a gift. Plenty of my friends with 2070 Supers are sitting out this entire generation. The new consoles will punch with an AMD 2600 / 2080 all generation, that's a fairly high end gaming PC. "Cyberpunk at 1440p high with RTX off"

OK update on the donation build. Our friends made it rain and we have $950 plus the 2080 for this build. Can probably try to go the new parts route. I'll look at that craigslist post again though. Any other recommendations? Also, what's the best way to get Windows? I think I've seen like $5 keys on ebay that are legit?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KingKapalone posted:

OK update on the donation build. Our friends made it rain and we have $950 plus the 2080 for this build. Can probably try to go the new parts route. I'll look at that craigslist post again though. Any other recommendations? Also, what's the best way to get Windows? I think I've seen like $5 keys on ebay that are legit?

$15 from our own Lodge North in SA mart, and a lot more legitimate and much better service than trusting some random ebay seller.

Give me a minute and I'll part you out a list, having the 2080 gives you some great options.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

KingKapalone posted:

There are a few goons that sell authentic Windows keys in SA-Mart if you don't want to deal with ebay.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jfff posted:

There are a few goons that sell authentic Windows keys in SA-Mart if you don't want to deal with ebay.

Highly recommend because they deliver in seconds as well

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KingKapalone posted:

This would be a good start:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KFQcmk

Just needs a case choosing (for which you'd be better getting advice from other posters as I've only researched SFF cases for myself) and peripherals, where there's plenty of KB+M packs on Amazon to choose from based on aesthetics or brand or maybe you could scrape up second hand ones between your group or whatever.

There's potential to save a bit of money on the motherboard, the b450 I chose is on the higher end there, and you could drop the storage to 500GB although if you're playing Warzone that's like half of that gone already. You could get a mATX mobo and case to save size, if that's a concern. If he's getting a 2080 then anything other than a 1440p high refresh rate monitor would be a waste imo, so I've chosen the best budget option there.

Really cool thing you're all doing, and if you can afford to buy new might as well do it properly and blow this guy's mind.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Cinebench with multicore benchmark has my Ryzen 7 5800x going up to 85C. :eyepop:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yoked posted:

Cinebench with multicore benchmark has my Ryzen 7 5800x going up to 85C. :eyepop:
Yeah, although AMD said recently that those chips run hot and can run even hotter than that without it being a problem

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Cinebench is like the most brutal thing on the processor though right? That's an extreme stress test you will pretty much never duplicate in real life no matter how you try*

*during "normal" computing/working/gaming

Think of that as essentially as hot as your system gets and it's not even in the danger zone. My ryzen cools down ridiculously fast even just alt-tabbing from a CPU intensive process.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just needs a case choosing (for which you'd be better getting advice from other posters as I've only researched SFF cases for myself) and peripherals, where there's plenty of KB+M packs on Amazon to choose from based on aesthetics or brand or maybe you could scrape up second hand ones between your group or whatever.

There's potential to save a bit of money on the motherboard, the b450 I chose is on the higher end there, and you could drop the storage to 500GB although if you're playing Warzone that's like half of that gone already. You could get a mATX mobo and case to save size, if that's a concern. If he's getting a 2080 then anything other than a 1440p high refresh rate monitor would be a waste imo, so I've chosen the best budget option there.

Really cool thing you're all doing, and if you can afford to buy new might as well do it properly and blow this guy's mind.

Thanks. We have a Microcenter local too. I see plenty of $80 micro ATX B450 boards. Should I be checking those out? Is it better to get onboard WiFi or get a PCI card? I've always been wired.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I am actually very impressed with this CPU so far. It cools down amazingly fast and the single core benchmark is really impressive.

I am happy I went with the Noctua cooler even though I was worried it wouldn’t fit in the case with how drat big it is.

Since I have two Fractal Design cases it is interesting to compare noise levels. My old Define case seems to be much quieter compared to this new one (Define 7 Compact) even though I put in Noctua case fans. I wonder if the tempered glass window is letting out more sound or if it has something to do with construction of materials.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. We have a Microcenter local too. I see plenty of $80 micro ATX B450 boards. Should I be checking those out? Is it better to get onboard WiFi or get a PCI card? I've always been wired.

I just got a new mobo with onboard wifi and one huge benefit is the bluetooth range using the little external antenna stuck to the side of the case. I use a wired LAN but figured having the option would be useful for the tiny cost increase. If you have a ps4 controller or some other bluetooth devices it may be a worthwhile investment up front.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

This build here is super solid. Only thing I’d add is you can probably get the same level of ram closer to $55-$60 if you dig and wait for a sale. And if he’s noise adverse he may want to consider spending for a quieter cooler than the stock one.

Case is going to be highly personal based on size/color/RBG :catdrugs:.

If you want a black void box, I highly recommend fractal. The Meshify line is great for airflow. The Define line is great for a closed front that has the option to swing open for more airflow. Build quality is also super high and it’s kitted with customizability.

Avoid those cheap no-name brands for keyboard/mouse combos. They’re generally bad.

Logitech is universal for fantastic mice, and they have gaming focused low cost options that work really well.

For keyboards if you want something really nice, consider used on r/hardwareswap. Otherwise Corsair and Logitech make great mechanical keyboards. The razer ones are just ok typically.

I’d figured out your budget for a monitor and go ask in the monitor thread. They’re better at that then here, and I agree 1440p@120+mhz is what you should aim for based on the build. There are inexpensive options.

Yoked posted:

As odd as this is, that’s a pretty good temp.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Go for onboard.

Also local micro center is an amazing resource here. Go and check their open box poo poo (open box discount stacks sale prices). Their open box stuff is generally good quality, and you can always just run back with anything that’s not perfect and they’ll exchange or refund you. They’ll let you physically check out the open box stuff most times if you ask.

I was able to get that same ram in butterfly’s build for $43 open box when on sale.

If you set your local store on their website, you can filter by open box and see exactly what they have/prices. I’d look for ram, motherboard, and case.

As far as $80 matx boards, the answer is it depends.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Yoked posted:

I wonder if the tempered glass window is letting out more sound

Quite possible, after all, it's a very rigid surface, which unless it was extremely heavy or very well anchored, is most likely vibrating slightly to the same frequency as the stuff making noise inside. The old cases had steel with a heavy absorbing mat on the inside, which seems like it would do a better job.

Of course, there are other design changes too, as you say, so who knows what effect they had. I imagine the trend for very 'open' cases probably isn't helping, as there're simply fewer posts and panels (I'm thinking drive cages mainly) interfering with the sound waves

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 14, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bus hustler posted:

Cinebench is like the most brutal thing on the processor though right? That's an extreme stress test you will pretty much never duplicate in real life no matter how you try*

*during "normal" computing/working/gaming

Think of that as essentially as hot as your system gets and it's not even in the danger zone. My ryzen cools down ridiculously fast even just alt-tabbing from a CPU intensive process.

DONT RUN THIS
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techpowerup.com/download/intelburntest/%3famp
DONT RUN THIS

This demon seed can literally run 20 Celsius above your Cinebench temperatures.

I’m not exaggerating with my overclocked chip I barely get up to like 70/72° in cinebench and this loving thing shoots it up to 90C.

I don’t recommend anybody run this program ever and if it breaks your computer then I’m sorry but I told you not to run it.

People like cinebench because it’s a reasonable extreme load. A cooler should be able to handle 10 minutes of cinebench no problem.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
What's the best method for getting Windows installed on a new SSD? Currently I have Windows 10 installed on an old 250gb drive that I plan on replacing with a much larger one when I build my new computer. Is there a way to transfer it to the drive? Should I plan on buying a new copy of it?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Go for onboard.

Also local micro center is an amazing resource here. Go and check their open box poo poo (open box discount stacks sale prices). Their open box stuff is generally good quality, and you can always just run back with anything that’s not perfect and they’ll exchange or refund you. They’ll let you physically check out the open box stuff most times if you ask.

I was able to get that same ram in butterfly’s build for $43 open box when on sale.

If you set your local store on their website, you can filter by open box and see exactly what they have/prices. I’d look for ram, motherboard, and case.

As far as $80 matx boards, the answer is it depends.

For boards with wifi at microcenter I see this mATX for $90 https://www.microcenter.com/product/620748/asrock-b450-amd-am4-microatx-motherboard or this for $120 https://www.microcenter.com/product/510206/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

I know the MSIs are good, but no Wifi.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

What's the best method for getting Windows installed on a new SSD? Currently I have Windows 10 installed on an old 250gb drive that I plan on replacing with a much larger one when I build my new computer. Is there a way to transfer it to the drive? Should I plan on buying a new copy of it?

I did this recently.

1. Install both the current SSD and the new SSD into your new build and boot into Windows as normal.
2. Use Macrium Reflect to copy the entire old SSD to the new one.
3. Shut down the computer and unplug the old SSD from your motherboard. Keep it installed in the case for now in case we need to revert.
4. Boot up the computer and confirm you can get back into Windows, and it's activated.
5. Use the Windows built-in Disk Management utility to extend your new SSD's drive space to use the full SSD.

Run the computer for as long as it takes for you to feel comfortable with the new setup, then you can wipe the old SSD for some extra storage or remove it from your computer completely.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Yoked posted:

Yeah this is normal, with my old cooler it would hit 90C now with a nice AIO and better thermal paste it still hits 79C. The good thing is Zen 3 doesn't really care about running hot, the lower temps only raised performance by the tiniest amount.