Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

That Italian Guy posted:

Also from the OP (section on bargaining):

That specific line is actually verbatim from the game's manual :)

I assume this also works in reverse? So that i.e. if one party was nominally going to be the signatory for a proposal but didn't want to be, they could pay someone else to sign instead? Whether limited only to those who also voted "aye" or not?

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Senator

I can't speak for the house Treasurer, but I believe House Gambol should offer to take responsibility for the Aye vote sight-unseen* for a nominal** fee.

*as in, we would sign everything that would need to be signed from the result of an aye vote no matter what, no take-backsies from anyone.
**I'm not the treasurer, I'm not naming an actual number

We should also be voting aye but I've already expressed that particular opinion.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Councilmember and Treasurer

Hm, interesting, interesting. We've spent a fair amount of influence on the mill thing, so what we have left is dear to us. What do my fellow house members think? Is there a price at which we could be convinced to weigh in on this matter?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

TravelLog posted:

I assume this also works in reverse? So that i.e. if one party was nominally going to be the signatory for a proposal but didn't want to be, they could pay someone else to sign instead? Whether limited only to those who also voted "aye" or not?

Yes, as long as this is properly formulated (since you can't know for sure who's going to have the leader/signer position before the vote is over) and if it's agreed itt according to the normal rules.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Omobono posted:

Senator

I can't speak for the house Treasurer, but I believe House Gambol should offer to take responsibility for the Aye vote sight-unseen* for a nominal** fee.

Senator

A senator after my own heart. Looks like the Ayes have two offers for leadership on the table now.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

It does my heart good to see members of other houses jumping at the opportunity to have their house be recorded as stridently anti-slavery.
Although one must muse: since it can be clearly seen from the issue that the house who takes the Leadership Role will gain a Negative Chronicle, could their insistence be from a place of personal gain? I'd hate to think that any here would put some kind of personal, familial agenda over the good of the Kingdom.

In regards to my esteemed Councilmember's question I'd say the price would be very steep indeed, but I've left more detailed thoughts elsewhere (OOC:namely the house doc).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sitting Councilmember

We see no reason not to vote Aye here, as not doing so would be devastating to the hearts and souls of The Great Mother's disciples.

If our Treasurer has thoughts on how to proceed, please do what needs to be done.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The negative chronicle means that the house that signed it would get a negative Open Agenda in future, so they'd have to fight harder to make it up. But who knows - maybe it's worth it.

C... posted:

Navigator

Now that I am in a position to make an impact:
I value the accuracy of your records of Coin and Power, and beseech you to continue to serve the kingdom by extending this benefit to the Council.
However, I would prefer the Agenda speculation be reserved to the privacy of your family's hallowed halls.

House Gambol will pay 1 Coin to House Daucus to modify their Status Reports to not speculate on Agendas.

Now, as for this deal... I can't withhold the agenda speculation all the time. It was one of the most exciting and enjoyable parts of the report! But I do like your idea, so I will make a counter-proposal...

Counteroffer: Any house may pay House Daucus # Coins to have House Daucus not speculate on Agendas for the next # Dilemmas in a king's Reign, counting the current Dilemma if no report has yet been made for it.

That strikes a nice balance between openness and political advantage. Your thoughts?

[Note to That Italian Guy: If this proposal is accepted, I'd suggest it remain 'hanging in the air' for the rest of the entire series of games, and if any house's Sitting Councilmember wishes to Propose paying to shut off Agenda reports, that it be auto-accepted by House Daucus without having to have the current Sitting Councilmember for Daucus weigh in. Is this something we can do?]

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 13, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Magical Slave Lady Politics.

I think ya'll should gently caress everything else and try to get ALL the artifacts, ALL OF THEM.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

That Italian Guy posted:

Also from the OP (section on bargaining):

That specific line is actually verbatim from the game's manual :)

Right, I was just confused because I thought you had to make a deal with a specific person, and the leader can change during a vote because it's the person who spends the most votes, right? Or does that not happen under our rules?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Quackles posted:

The negative chronicle means that the house that signed it would get a negative Open Agenda in future, so they'd have to fight harder to make it up. But who knows - maybe it's worth it.

Now, as for this deal... I can't withhold the agenda speculation all the time. It was one of the most exciting and enjoyable parts of the report! But I do like your idea, so I will make a counter-proposal...

Counteroffer: Any house may pay House Daucus # Coins to have House Daucus not speculate on Agendas for the next # Dilemmas in a king's Reign, counting the current Dilemma if no report has yet been made for it.

That strikes a nice balance between openness and political advantage. Your thoughts?

[Note to That Italian Guy: If this proposal is accepted, I'd suggest it remain 'hanging in the air' for the rest of the entire series of games, and if any house's Sitting Councilmember wishes to Propose paying to shut off Agenda reports, that it be auto-accepted by House Daucus without having to have the current Sitting Councilmember for Daucus weigh in. Is this something we can do?]

Ooc: this is the silliest of issues to pay for. If you can't see why, I'll be happy to show why in-character.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I'm a bit confused by House Lethe btw. They seem scornful of the idea of the map, but are pressing to vote 'yes'? Are you working under the assumption that NOT freeing the slave will get us the map?

I mean, I could see it. It's not clear what a 'No' vote is. Is a 'no' vote 'we don't free the slave, and she leaves with the merchants, and the secret along with her' or is a no vote 'We buy the slave/buy the information of the map from the merchants'? It's a bit ambiguous.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nea posted:

Right, I was just confused because I thought you had to make a deal with a specific person, and the leader can change during a vote because it's the person who spends the most votes, right? Or does that not happen under our rules?

As long as both parties are ok with "House X will pay Coins to House Y if they are the leader to sign instead of them" it should be fine, as it doesn't influence the vote directly. I assume in that case there would be a "satisfaction guaranteed" clause (IE: you only pay them if they are the leaders).

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Shogeton posted:

I mean, I could see it. It's not clear what a 'No' vote is. Is a 'no' vote 'we don't free the slave, and she leaves with the merchants, and the secret along with her' or is a no vote 'We buy the slave/buy the information of the map from the merchants'? It's a bit ambiguous.

Senator

The way I see it, the slave and their knowledge of the map is part of the trade deal. By voting Nay, we establish the trade deal, get the Wealth boost, the slave and their knowledge of the map.

Voting Aye frees the slave, hurts the trade deal both immediately and in the long term, and (???) the map. For all we know the slave might thank us and give us the information anyways.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Omobono posted:

Senator

*as in, we would sign everything that would need to be signed from the result of an aye vote no matter what, no take-backsies from anyone.
**I'm not the treasurer, I'm not naming an actual number

We should also be voting aye but I've already expressed that particular opinion.

Navigator

Speaking for the House in this matter, we would be happy to Sign the Aye and declare immutably that we oppose slavery.
Perhaps the deal would be contingent on a penalty, to reduce the downside risk to Houses who are putting up higher Power stakes?

Something like House <Spending Power> puts 3 coins into escrow. If the Aye vote leads to a House-specific negative outcome, House Gambol will sign our name to the card, and claim the 3 coins and the consequence. Otherwise, they return to House <Spending Power>.

Quackles posted:

Now, as for this deal... I can't withhold the agenda speculation all the time. It was one of the most exciting and enjoyable parts of the report!

Navigator
I don't seek to deprive you of a source of enjoyment! Please consider the offer Withdrawn with my apologies for the earlier disregard.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sighence posted:

Ooc: this is the silliest of issues to pay for. If you can't see why, I'll be happy to show why in-character.

:) :hf: :)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry for the double post.

C... posted:

Navigator

Speaking for the House in this matter, we would be happy to Sign the Aye and declare immutably that we oppose slavery.
Perhaps the deal would be contingent on a penalty, to reduce the downside risk to Houses who are putting up higher Power stakes?

Something like House <Spending Power> puts 3 coins into escrow. If the Aye vote leads to a House-specific negative outcome, House Gambol will sign our name to the card, and claim the 3 coins and the consequence. Otherwise, they return to House <Spending Power>.

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden
An old man, holding the shoulder of a young page, points at House Gambol's Navigator

"Watch them and learn, boy, how they offer to take the burden of any negative consequence for any house that supports their desired outcome... for a price, of course... Masterful politicking."

"The Mother tell us that slavery is barbaric and should be abolished. But things are usually complicated, a single person is of little importance in the grand scheme of things and sometimes the easier answer is used to hide someone's true motive. The kingdom has used it's wealth for the benefit of thousands of peasants. What more could we do with the riches coming from this trade agreement? It will be your job to decide on these matters soon. Pray you find the diligence to question every reason and find the truth."

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2021

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Bellmaker posted:

Sitting Councilmember

We see no reason not to vote Aye here, as not doing so would be devastating to the hearts and souls of The Great Mother's disciples.

If our Treasurer has thoughts on how to proceed, please do what needs to be done.

Treasurer

The Mother truly knows best.

Freeing the slave is obviously the only course of action a righteous person could pursue. I knew this, and was willing to use our houses' coin in the service to the Mother if it was necessary to sway the other houses to this righteous cause. However it seems that more of our counterparts listen to the voice of the Mother than I had thought, so offers of worldly goods will not be necessary.

Praise be to the Mother.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Navigator

I think we should take on the signing regardless of if it's negative or not, personally. I would like the credit.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Nea posted:

Navigator

I think we should take on the signing regardless of if it's negative or not, personally. I would like the credit.

[OOC]
It will be negative. You can tell because it is black. There may be additional benefits we don't see on the dilemma card, but the ones shown are not (I don't think) ever misrepresented.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Nea posted:

Navigator

Interesting. I'd be onboard if the majority of the family does.

SporkChan posted:

[OOC]
It will be negative. You can tell because it is black. There may be additional benefits we don't see on the dilemma card, but the ones shown are not (I don't think) ever misrepresented.
We seek non-mechanical benefits.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Shogeton posted:

I'm a bit confused by House Lethe btw. They seem scornful of the idea of the map, but are pressing to vote 'yes'? Are you working under the assumption that NOT freeing the slave will get us the map?

Senator

I think it's just that we are in favor of freeing the slave, but we do not want to kick off any sort of foolhardy goose chase through the desert. I don't think it's possible to have one without the other, so I'll leave it to our sitting councilmember which way to err.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C... posted:

Navigator
I don't seek to deprive you of a source of enjoyment! Please consider the offer Withdrawn with my apologies for the earlier disregard.

That's fair. Thanks for your candor.

Note that our counteroffer (coins to sponsor our reports and not list Agenda guesses) remains open to all houses. ;) Why not?

eliasswift posted:

Senator

So, I put forth the hypothetical bargaining for Quackles and the rest of House Daucus to think on:
Default state: Abstain to gather power

Negotiations: Voting Aye or Nay in return for a future vote to up Influence.
Voting Aye with enough Power to be declared leader for this vote in return for a negotiable amount of Gold.

Sitting Councilor BTW

So down to actual negotiations. I'm not sure if cards that have different outcomes sensitive to the positions of the resource tracks are a thing or not. But it is an interesting idea.

How would people feel about the idea of being paid coins in exchange for their house voting automatically in the direction of the next dilemma that has a positive Influence marker?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Quackles posted:

Note that our counteroffer (coins to sponsor our reports and not list Agenda guesses) remains open to all houses. ;) Why not?

Tensator
OK, so I wasn't clear enough last time. It's because they'll have to pay off House Cyfoeth too, else we'll just do it for you instead.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sighence posted:

Tensator
OK, so I wasn't clear enough last time. It's because they'll have to pay off House Cyfoeth too, else we'll just do it for you instead.

Oh, nice! :haw::hf::)

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Sighence posted:

Tensator

Quackles posted:

Oh, nice! :haw::hf::)

Subtlety is an art lost to House Daucus. I didn't catch it either.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Council member and Treasurer

"Hmm."

The monocled noble looks around the council chamber and his notes on the state of the Treasury. Then he focus on the notes, listening as the houses agents report to him.
Gambol, moving towards Aye, releasing the slave

Cyfoeth is leaning towards Nay, but weakly.

Lethe is saying Aye, and Daucus is silent about it.

"Slavery isn't very conductive to our businss, so I'm leaning towards Aye. Also, I like those reports, it helps with the records."

grandalt fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 14, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Shogeton posted:

Sitting Councilmember

We are not confused.

It would be better for all if she was free. As an additional benefit, keeping her out of the hands of slavers means they cannot pursue this Golden Map for their own benefit (and they WILL do so, if for no other reason than to enslave the rest of her people). It is better the map be in our hands than someone else's.

Blessed be The Mother.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Senator

I fear that whatever our personal feelings on the matter may be, our recent expenditures mean we simply lack the capital to push strongly for it one way or another. It's clear the other Houses are very passionate regarding this issue - perhaps we could reap the benefits of that passion by sitting this one out.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

Sitting Councilor BTW

So down to actual negotiations. I'm not sure if cards that have different outcomes sensitive to the positions of the resource tracks are a thing or not. But it is an interesting idea.

How would people feel about the idea of being paid coins in exchange for their house voting automatically in the direction of the next dilemma that has a positive Influence marker?

Do you have a figure in mind?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C... posted:

Do you have a figure in mind?

Sitting Councilor

How about : 3 Coins in exchange for House Gambol to vote as House Daucus wishes, with at least 2 Power, on the next Dilemma that has a Positive Influence marker?
Payment on delivery of House Gambol's vote. This is a Proposal.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Navigator
See what my esteemed Family has to say in our Sheet.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

eliasswift posted:

Subtlety is an art lost to House Daucus. I didn't catch it either.

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden
Senator

Which doesn't mean we'd agree with your evaluations, so maybe there is some interest in having a variety of opinions out there: For example, I think the pattern of votes indicates that House Gambol are Extremist (their house reputation seems to point that way, too) and House Lethe are A religious cult with the symbol of a snake holy poo poo these are bad guys Opportunists.

Anyway, given the stated votes, I'd like to suggest, for my House consideration, a trade: we'll pay 3 coins for an (at least) Nay 2 vote.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm not sure we can afford it! Here's why:

Mostly Accurate Senate Status Report
brought to you by House Daucus

Power/Coins

House Gambol: 9 Power, 15 Coins
House Cyfoeth: 4 Power, 9 Coins
House Daucus: 6 Power, 14 Coins
House Pinchay: 10 Power, 4 Coins
House Lethe: 11 Power, 11 Coins

Prestige/Crave
Currently all Houses should have 0 Prestige and 0 Crave. This will change over time.

Hidden Agenda Prediction
Important: These are all guesses, which will be compiled and updated during each dilemma based on previous actions and results.

House Gambol's tendency to cut deals appears to have been tempered by public-spirited opinions right now.
Agenda: Greedy
Confidence: ####

House Cyfoeth appears to favor raising resources... I think. If their own assessments are accurate, they can't have the Extremist agenda, which leaves a logical conclusion, through inference.

Agenda: Opulent
Confidence: ##__

House Daucus has a headache.

Agenda: A Black Lotus card someone played 'Flip It or Rip It' with
Confidence:

House Pinchay seems to be following popular opinion.

Agenda: Opportunist

House Natar appears to be leading the charge on moral grounds. A solid position, if one hard to read politically.

Agenda: Moderate

So, back to politicking. House Cyfoeth, if we were to side with you with Nay, we'd have to spend a lot of Power to clinch the deal, and end up bust. I'm... not honestly sure it's worth it - we get rich, but we look like the villains of the piece. Perhaps another time? 😅

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hey there, got a few more qqs about Sheet usage so I'll try to get some guidelines down :)

I'm trying not to set down too strict of a rule cause on one hand I don't want to have to police the sheets and on the other I would like for people to be able to talk about their high level strategies in private if they want to do so, while keeping the thread the main point of contact for comms.

The general idea of Fair Usage is:
  • The Senate should use the thread for comms regarding the current vote, unless there is something specific tied to info from their Sheet (including suggesting how much Power/Coins to bet, if they don't use hard numbers itt - but in this case, the Senator should also endorse their preferred vote outcome itt).
  • The Sitting Councilmember is not forced to vote according to their House's counsel and can even avoid taking an explicit position itt if they don't want to - but there shouldn't be a conscious effort at deceiving other Houses between them and the Senators (IE: saying in the sheet "everyone should say they want to vote Aye, but we are going to vote Nay instead"). By the way, I'm not saying this is happening anywhere at the moment, just to be clear :)

I am aware that not setting down very hard rules may be frustrating for you, especially since more vague rules could be "gamed" more easily and I appreciate the need for some kind of priviledge comms channel for high secrecy discussions - like talking about agenda tiers, achievement chasing or even general high level strategy (IE: we should try to get Wealth as the highest resource in the tracker).

Right now the level of sheet chatter is quite different, with some Houses barely using them at all and other having a bit more of a discussion, but everything has been kosher so far.

EDIT: also, we have passed the midpoint for this vote! Deadline for submitting your votes is in about 24h from now.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 14, 2021

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I can understand that House Daucus is considering passing, but could I interest you in getting involved in this discussion anyway. if both of us stay at the sidelines and consolidate power, we'll both recover less, and the other Houses can get away with investing but a little bit.

I offer 1 coin to House Daucus to offer at least 1 power to Nay

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I was cleaning up my PM inbox cause it was bursting and I may have accidentally deleted almost everything :v:

So if I haven't reached out to you via PM right now to say that I have received your order and you have already submitted your votes, could you please resend your Dilemma 3 ones? Apologies and thanks :)

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Shogeton posted:

I can understand that House Daucus is considering passing, but could I interest you in getting involved in this discussion anyway. if both of us stay at the sidelines and consolidate power, we'll both recover less, and the other Houses can get away with investing but a little bit.

I offer 1 coin to House Daucus to offer at least 1 power to Nay

Not a great deal for Daucus, as I see it.

Abstain: Gain 2-3 power
Nay: Lose 1 power, gain 1 coin.

Given the exchange rate has been 1-2 coins per 1 power..

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Only if they actually end up spending that power. Possibly, they bid some power, possibly driving up the other houses bid, meaning there'd be more in the pot for them next turn, not have to spend their own power, and get a coin for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

My esteemed Housemember and Sitting Councilmember has a point, Power is only spent if the side you vote on wins, so it could be seen as 1 coin for free at that point.