Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Yes, but she's an Ackerman, and the rules are weird for Ackermans. They've got the power of Titans in a fun-sized package, and they're immune to the mindwipes, so we don't know if they can go full sized titan or not.

(She could in a gag page at the end of a volume of the manga, and in a hallucination in one of the OVAs, but until we get Baggy Pants Leon saving the survey corps, fake previews are, well, fake.)

I don't think the Ackerman's are Eldian. Like I was under the impression that the Noble Families were immune to the Mindwipe cause they were not Eldian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think the Ackerman's are Eldian. Like I was under the impression that the Noble Families were immune to the Mindwipe cause they were not Eldian.

They're Eldian, however altered.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They may have just underestimated the intelligence gathering capabilities of the island full of medieval people who until recently didn't know the outside world existed.

Came here to post this. I just think the Tyburs and the Marleyan military were operating under the very mistaken assumption that the forces of Paradis couldn’t possibly be the ones to launch an attack first. If anything they would anticipate the Rumbling, but not Eren hiding directly under the stage where the declaration of war was declared.

I don’t think they knew that the Scouts had found Grisha’s notebooks and all of that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All they should really know is what Reiner saw, right? So he could've said something like 1) Eren has gained the power of the Founding Titan, 2) his faction seems to have gained political control, 3) although Paradis is wholly ignorant of the outside world, Eren has ambitions to explore it and 4) Eren has sworn bloody revenge against the people who destroyed his home. That would make Willy see Eren as a future threat but perhaps not quite so much of an imminent one.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

They may have just underestimated the intelligence gathering capabilities of the island full of medieval people who until recently didn't know the outside world existed.

I immediately thought of the Battle of Dien Bien Phu. Like, just never considering for a moment that a more "primitive" force could actually be smart enough to seize the initiative.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Whelp I dont't really think I can fully process the implications of Eren basically attacking the Self Hating Eldian and possiby the entire embassy of people around the world. That's basically him declaring war on everyone as well.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Like, Eren is gone. He told Falco to stay there, then transformed, which for all we know killed/seriously hurt him. Then he killed a bunch of innocents, his own kind. And, you completely get it. This writing is the best.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

All they should really know is what Reiner saw, right? So he could've said something like 1) Eren has gained the power of the Founding Titan, 2) his faction seems to have gained political control, 3) although Paradis is wholly ignorant of the outside world, Eren has ambitions to explore it and 4) Eren has sworn bloody revenge against the people who destroyed his home. That would make Willy see Eren as a future threat but perhaps not quite so much of an imminent one.

During the briefing with the Marleyan military, Reiner mentioned that their ships moored in Paradis had been destroyed and no scout they sent there had returned (which implicates the use of at least two Titans). They definitely know Paradisians are no longer ignorant of the outside world, but probably assumed they'll just be busy with expansion and will prefer to maintain their isolation until it's too late.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I canit wait to see what's happening in Paradis.

This has now overtaken Death Note for best-written anime I've seen. Unless they bodge the ending (I don't think they will)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Annointed posted:

Whelp I dont't really think I can fully process the implications of Eren basically attacking the Self Hating Eldian and possiby the entire embassy of people around the world. That's basically him declaring war on everyone as well.

yeah it ruled

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alan_Shore posted:

Like, Eren is gone. He told Falco to stay there, then transformed, which for all we know killed/seriously hurt him. Then he killed a bunch of innocents, his own kind. And, you completely get it. This writing is the best.

I really like how the anime better illustrates how dead behind the eyes Eren is now. Dude is completely gone at this point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

I canit wait to see what's happening in Paradis.

This has now overtaken Death Note for best-written anime I've seen. Unless they bodge the ending (I don't think they will)
I am not saying anything about what happens, I will just say that with it ending in a few chapters, I am confident it will end in a way that will leave it as one of the best anime series of all time. I cannot tell you just how excited I am to see everything animated especially how well the season has been so far.

Unlike, say, beastars, which had an incredibly strong first half and then piddled all the goodwill down its leg in the second half and had an unsatisfying and possibly theme-ruining finale.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatch of episodes 26-30:
- To me, this is the best that AoT ever looks. There are still some unfortunate still, to say nothing of the CG Colossal Titan, but the art direction is on point. The lighting, color palette, particle effects, amazing makeup effects, and the redone character designs all combine beautifully.
- Everything with Ymir, Reiner, and Bertholt really rewards the rewatch. There are also signs of Zeke and Pieck that I didn't get before.
- Conny is such an idiot, he wraps around to being amazing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bought the Humble Bundle deal and started reading the manga last night and there's so many juicy nuggets even in chapter one.

* The title, To You, 2000 Years From Now must surely mean there's gonna be a huge time skip near the end of the story (Ymir was only 1000 years ago)
* What dream was Eren having when he cried? He said Mikasa's hair was much shorter, but it's not that short when they grow up. Maybe we haven't seen that memory yet
* Hannes talks about repaying his debt to the Yeager family by saving Kalura. I don't remember this debt being in the anime
* When Hannes leads them away Mikasa grabs her head, sees the crowds evacuating and says "oh, this again..." What did she mean?

The art isn't that bad, it's definitely rough but in a way that adds to all the insanity at the beginning

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/Wordse_Vo/status/1348982017694830594

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man people elsewhere on the internet are really having a hissy fit that their favorite song wasn't used at that declaration of war moment. They're even harassing the director and composer on twitter.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see the logic for youseeBIGGIRL or whatever to mirror the Reiner betrayal scene, but I think the moment was built up to very powerfully by episodes 4 and 5. I don't know if adding a feeling of "hey it's that song again" would necessarily have strengthened it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ccs posted:

Man people elsewhere on the internet are really having a hissy fit that their favorite song wasn't used at that declaration of war moment. They're even harassing the director and composer on twitter.

What song?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Alan_Shore posted:

* The title, To You, 2000 Years From Now must surely mean there's gonna be a huge time skip near the end of the story (Ymir was only 1000 years ago)

Ymir obtained the power of the titans 2000 years ago.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The moment was so intense and perfect that this is the weirdest poo poo to have an internet mob over

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

What song?

Whichever they're using here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcPk3xB1VsE

I think it's a bit overkill honestly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats absolute garbage for how that scene plays out. Way to over the top.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ymir obtained the power of the titans 2000 years ago.

How embarrassing

Ccs posted:

Whichever they're using here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcPk3xB1VsE

I think it's a bit overkill honestly.

Yeah the OG is better for sure.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It straight up doesnt fit the tone or emotion of the scene at all

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

People whining for that one there or for YSBG just wanted an "epic" triumphant track to play, and don't understand the tone of the scene at all.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I want to have an angry internet argument with these people about how they clearly don't understand music and its role in emphasizing tone and theme.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is why AAA movie soundtracks suck rear end. People generally have poo poo ear for matching scenes to music, so they just use whatever sounds the most "epic".

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I hate to just dogpile but that alternative music, as already pointed out, is pure rear end for what is going on in that scene.

I'm really hoping we get to see some Paradis soon as I'm super curious to find out how they've fared over the past 4 years knowing the island is safe from titans at least. Makes me think there'd be a sort of baby boom like after WW2 with the security and extra land they have to agriculture.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 13, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

General Probe posted:

I hate to just dogpile but that alternative music, as already pointed out, is pure rear end for what is going on in that scene.

I'm really hoping we get to see some Paradis soon as I'm super curious to find out how they've fared over the past 4 years knowing the island is safe from titans at least. Makes me think there'd be a sort of baby boom like after WW2 with the security and extra land they have to agriculture.

I'd also imagine rapid industrialization from information brought back from the mainland.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

SpartanIvy posted:

I'd also imagine rapid industrialization from information brought back from the mainland.

Paradis seems like they had all the tech and machining they needed to industrialize but the Reiss family / secret police put a damper on advancements that would allow the Eldians get an edge on titans and upend the status quo.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Actually this is the track people wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXVE1Rr8XtE or the mix used here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjJeYKnaU6E

I mean I get it, it's a call back to Reiners reveal and transformation and that particular song suits the scene very well. The track they chose is very good as well though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see the logic. But looking at the episode I actually really like that they cut the music while Eren was talking and let his last few lines stand on their own.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lamebot posted:

Paradis seems like they had all the tech and machining they needed to industrialize but the Reiss family / secret police put a damper on advancements that would allow the Eldians get an edge on titans and upend the status quo.

To some point, they already progressed in S3 – we've seen titan guillotines and crystal flashlights. Not exactly cutting-edge tech, but for something jury-rigged in the span of several weeks, pretty impressive.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Gantolandon posted:

To some point, they already progressed in S3 – we've seen titan guillotines and crystal flashlights. Not exactly cutting-edge tech, but for something jury-rigged in the span of several weeks, pretty impressive.

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the 3DMG bazookas. Way better at titan fighting than swords ever were.

Those may have been tried but shut down in the prototype stage by the King previously.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

YOUSEEBIGGIRL would have been terrible in that scene. The music they used worked very well. As someone already said, Eren dropping the "I keep moving forward, until I destroy my enemies" is the most important part of that scene and having the music slowly build up with the drums and then explode at the same time Eren explodes out of the building is the right move.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Annointed posted:

Nah. Even from the first season I was like this boy ain't right. Remember that his oath to himself wasn't to achieve peace, but to extinct all Titans. This was in him all along.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Nah. Even from the first season I was like this boy ain't right. Remember that his oath to himself wasn't to achieve peace, but to extinct all Titans. This was in him all along.

He killed two people with no hesitation at age nine. Eren's always been... Special. (After all, he was born in this world.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Asuron posted:

Actually this is the track people wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXVE1Rr8XtE

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded this at all.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I don't think Eren is supposed to be cheered on, he's more like a protagonist whose actions are understandable given the circumstances of his universe and prior experiences. And I like that way more over an unambiguously morally good protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Author's intent seems pretty clear that with Eren first holding hostage, and subsequently demolishing, a building full of civilians that the story has spent the better part of four episodes portraying in a sympathetic light.