Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

If they were purely just soulless copies, then dying in Otherworld/wherever else wouldn't make the slightest difference, that said-- so something else is going on, and it seems to suggest it's more of a transference than a xerox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I always figured something like X-Factor would get around to explicitly answering that question but it hasn't really yet. iirc from one of Hickman's earlier interviews, he referred to a lot of other resurrections in comics following similar sorts of conventions: your body is rebuilt, you magically return to life, etc. Essentially implying that since the rest of comics aren't really answering that question, then it's not that important that if he does, either.

He also said something similar answering, "is Wolverine resurrected with the adamantium on him?" Where maybe the answer is yes, maybe it's no, but he's gonna get it back anyway so it doesn't matter - it's just a process.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

He also said something similar answering, "is Wolverine resurrected with the adamantium on him?" Where maybe the answer is yes, maybe it's no, but he's gonna get it back anyway so it doesn't matter - it's just a process.

X-Force has a bit where he's actively working with Forge to have even more stabby things implanted in his body the next time he dies and comes back. And he's died and come back since then.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

In this instance, though, that's explained by Proteus' reality manipulation. He manipulates the bodies (and supposedly souls) to what they should be. Thus Wolverine gets an adamantium skeleton and Callisto comes back with minus an eye, and everyone has their soul, and don't you ask too many questions 'cause we got reality manipulation going on. "Oh fine"

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Illyana is a Great Captain and knows a thing or two about souls. Until she says something, it's fine.

Honestly, just make rough rules for resurrection in comics in general. It happens often enough that it would actually be useful and rarely enough that it wouldn't really get in the way.

I'm partial to souls lingering for a good bit before moving on permanently. A revived person gets their soul back. An exact clone of a dead person gets their soul back. An exact clone of a living person develops their own soul. A revived person with a clone who already has their soul develops their own soul. Unexact clones can be a complete crapshoot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not actually being clear on the metaphysics of the Krakoa Resurrection Protocols is like 90% of the appeal of new X-Men.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve just been reading the thread and haven’t read X-Men for decades but *boy* I don’t like when Xavier is addressing the world and says that mutants will replace humans. That rings all sorts of alarm bells for me
The Krakoan rhetoric right now is little less that mutants are going to replace humans -- they really haven't touched on that concept too much since Morrison -- and more that mutants are just, uh, somehow better than humans and so humans can either fall in line and let mutants do whatever mutants want or...well, there's no "or" here. Humans have had a hundred chances already and blew them all, so this is just how things are now.

Whether or not that comes across better or worse is...debatable, but there's no question that the X-Men characters have been crossing all kinds of big and small lines that they never used to cross -- not always without reason, to be fair -- and that this is somehow "the point" of Hickman's run.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 14, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
humans had a lot of chances to react to all the mass murders of mutants. their reaction was always either "thoughts and prayers" or "hey let's do more mass murders."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mutants aren't also out killing humans. They "we will replace you" thing is gradual. Humans will eventually die off while right now, mutants are functionally immortal. They're also giving out medicine and things to help humans, even if it's more of an incentive to not attack them like has been done previously and officially recognize Krakoa as a nation.

But as has been said, a lot of characters are asking questions that readers are asking. There is still a lot left to be explained and explored.

Also the X-Men are going to exist again, and they're going to be the traditionally heroic group.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Saoshyant posted:

In this instance, though, that's explained by Proteus' reality manipulation. He manipulates the bodies (and supposedly souls) to what they should be. Thus Wolverine gets an adamantium skeleton and Callisto comes back with minus an eye, and everyone has their soul, and don't you ask too many questions 'cause we got reality manipulation going on. "Oh fine"

Forge has that pool of adamantium in X-Force, so I think they were covering all their bases with how Wolverine gets his adamantium back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
so uh, am I supposed to know who that dude at the end of SWORD was? The only thing I can think of is Cable since he has a glowy eye and a comically oversized gun but other than that he doesn't look like Cable at all.

Also I really like Brand making contingencies in case she needs to go against the Council. That lady wants to protect the planet from space-borne threats and she don't give a gently caress who she's gotta backstab to do that job.

thetoughestbean posted:

gently caress.

Is the Sentinel still okay???

Nope, both got blown up in the awful trainwreck that was Avengers Arena

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Someone give Nightcrawler an adamantium sword.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

so uh, am I supposed to know who that dude at the end of SWORD was? The only thing I can think of is Cable since he has a glowy eye and a comically oversized gun but other than that he doesn't look like Cable at all.

It's Cable. The reason he's been missing the whole issue is because he got Klyntar'd up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

Glowy eye, big gun, big sword, robot arm, sure seems like Cable,

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it looked like Cable got Venom'ed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also the creepy dialogue is Knull speaking through him.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, Ewing (and Valerio Schiti) making Cortez actually look cool while doing his shtick. The impossible made possible. Dawn of X continues to deliver.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

Nope, both got blown up in the awful trainwreck that was Avengers Arena

That’s a thing that genuinely dissuades me from reading Marvel and DC comics: you find a side character you like and then they get killed off by some other writer for cheap drama

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s a thing that genuinely dissuades me from reading Marvel and DC comics: you find a side character you like and then they get killed off by some other writer for cheap drama

All the more reason to get on board with the easily ressurrected X-Men!*

*offer not valid for fans of Rockslide

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

All the more reason to get on board with the easily ressurrected X-Men!*

*offer not valid for fans of Rockslide

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

edit: wait, this was meant for the Post Funny Panels thread. Welp, it's on-topic anyway.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2021

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ewing has an appreciation for women wearing business suits with no bra, and I am 100% for it, what a legend. Also Magneto no pull up you fool, pull UP

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like that one page of Brand's notes about Cortez should have a hastily edited PS on it like "well that was quick"

(Also, is Brand still sleeping with Beast, I feel like that was mentioned in passing?)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 14, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Blockhouse posted:

Also the creepy dialogue is Knull speaking through him.

This has been my only experience with Knull and that entire thing so far and uhhhhh

Knull kinda loving sucks, huh

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Frenzy once again confirms she's the smartest of the former Acolytes. I did like the confirmation that Nowlan is alive again, even if he's less than willing to help Krakoa at the moment.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Knull kinda loving sucks, huh

Yeah.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Frickin Mentallo got a chance to shine on SWORD; that's one of the reasons I've been loving the Hickman era, we get characters like Pyro, Mentallo or even Vulcan getting awesome moments.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So did Magneto really not remember Cortez? That seems hard to believe given what happened. I assumed Magneto was deliberately snubbing him in the first issue, but issue 2 makes me wonder.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
He was deliberately snubbing him, but Cortez made himself just useful enough for Magneto to drop the act. It's why Frenzy comments on it right after.

Listening to Cortez never ends well.

VVV I do think he was legit glad to see Peepers. I was legit glad to see Peepers.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 14, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure which is the funnier option: Magneto was faking being so hype to see Peepers because he wanted to gently caress with Cortez, or he legit was jazzed to see this one obscure character he's not seen in like a decade.

Given it would seem to make sense with Ewing and mutants... what's the current status of Sunspot?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Someone can correct me if I missed an appearance elsewhere, but I believe last we saw Sunspot he was hanging out with the Shiar to stay close to Cannonball and try to hook up with Deathbird.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So how does this Knull guy work exactly? Are all the "individual" symbiotes loyal to him, is he projecting his will through them all, is he the specific symbiote that Cable is wearing right now...?

Also if Sword keeps this up it might be my favorite X-book after a while. Marauders is good, but I like outer space more than I like Kitty Pryde.

BrianWilly posted:

The Krakoan rhetoric right now is little less that mutants are going to replace humans -- they really haven't touched on that concept too much since Morrison -- and more that mutants are just, uh, somehow better than humans and so humans can either fall in line and let mutants do whatever mutants want or...well, there's no "or" here. Humans have had a hundred chances already and blew them all, so this is just how things are now.

Whether or not that comes across better or worse is...debatable, but there's no question that the X-Men characters have been crossing all kinds of big and small lines that they never used to cross -- not always without reason, to be fair -- and that this is somehow "the point" of Hickman's run.

Something I like about Krakoa conceptually is that it is doing the sensible thing for codifying mutants as a culture. " I don't want to tick any Morrison fans off, but the HOXPOX is basically delivering on all the interesting ideas that he brought up, but was less interested in exploring than "Is it still cheating if it's telepathic?" And if they do a good enough job, the mutants have the potential to definitively create the kind of society where they can go "See? Better than humans"....

but they are faiiiiling soooo bad so far. I was really hoping there'd be a scene with someone like Black Panther of Captain America encouraging Cyclops or Xavier with a sentiment along the lines of "You're creating something brand new that can change the world for the better--please, please don't gently caress it up" and then the immediate next panel is Beast comitting a war crime or Sinister inviting Sugar Man to join the Quiet Council or something.

In a way it's the logical next step of the classic Marvel "superheroes are fallible" paradigm that was never taken in favor of maintaining the "relateable" status quo; here we have a group of superheroes (and... "friends") who are trying to change the world for the better in a systemic fashion; treating clones as second-class citizens and pogroms against inorganic lifeforms are the proportional equivalent of getting drunk and raising hell in an Iron Man suit or accidentally getting Gwen Stacy killed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure which is the funnier option: Magneto was faking being so hype to see Peepers because he wanted to gently caress with Cortez, or he legit was jazzed to see this one obscure character he's not seen in like a decade.

Given it would seem to make sense with Ewing and mutants... what's the current status of Sunspot?

Sunspot is in New Mutants and has been since the start of the relaunch.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OnimaruXLR posted:

So how does this Knull guy work exactly? Are all the "individual" symbiotes loyal to him, is he projecting his will through them all, is he the specific symbiote that Cable is wearing right now...?

Basically Knull is the heart of the subconscious hive mind that symbiotes have. He can exert his will over them, making them go into religious cult-y fervor, or he can personally mindjack them like he's doing with Cable here. His primary body is separate, though. He's just remote controlling this one.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

glitchwraith posted:

Someone can correct me if I missed an appearance elsewhere, but I believe last we saw Sunspot he was hanging out with the Shiar to stay close to Cannonball and try to hook up with Deathbird.

I love that this is now what Bobby has dedicated himself to. :allears:

I mean, where do you go from building a giant robot and outsmarting everyone? To try and Captain Kirk a dangerous space bird lady while hanging out with your best bro.

(You just know that he will rub it in Bishop's face, should he succeed, too.)

With Spurrier writing Dr. Nemesis and Ewing and Hickman both being able to write Roberto, we're in for some good times.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

Yeah, he's playing Uncle Jesse for Cannonball/Smasher's kid

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sunspot took a sabbatical to pursue the sexy bird lady, but there are portals and he can return at any time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

So how does this Knull guy work exactly?

Donny Cates to CB Cebulski:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/xmenduh/status/1350980690674855937

Wait, what now?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

from Jeff Lemire's Extraordinary X-Men

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sapna_(Earth-616)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Alaois posted:

from Jeff Lemire's Extraordinary X-Men

Ugh