Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

skaianDestiny posted:

Unlocked Giselle, should I make them a Sniper or Hunter?

Sniper is better for story progression with 1S1K setups while Hunter is better for late game farming and pokemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Pets are overpowered for the investment you put in. Regular rear end doggies are as powerful as your best physical builds at points with junk masteries.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

skaianDestiny posted:

Unlocked Giselle, should I make them a Sniper or Hunter?

Make her Hunter first so you can get into Pokemon ASAP, you can still summon non-legendary pets and Legendary Drakis as a Sniper, but Hunter offers the best tools for training your pets and they add a lot of extra tools to your team. Sniper is better for a pure damage build (and shines best as 1s1k + Fire Support build) and I'd say it is the strongest option once she's consolidated, though note there are some positively game breaking things you can only really do with Hunter, such as having 0 AT turns.

The new mission is cute, but very short, I really regretted picking option D, my Alisa is an unkillable monster and Giselle's fire support meant that every cop's attack was followed by her killing whatever they attacked, had to run around her line of sight to break the jammers. Also (plot speculation), I get a feeling that Rion Bloodwalker is finally going to join the plot, given he and Misty (who I only learned existed thanks to the Discord, she was the one shouting at Rion in the mission where Leton abandons Carter, also the picture below) were front-and-center during the exam pictures and Sion's scenes keep making noises about getting in touch with his bro.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Thanks for the info y'all. Now I've gotta ask how to build Irene as a Battle Mage, since I've had her as Martial Artist for the entire game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

skaianDestiny posted:

Thanks for the info y'all. Now I've gotta ask how to build Irene as a Battle Mage, since I've had her as Martial Artist for the entire game.

Just give her all the Battle Mage sets and that's it.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Don't forget to grab the masteries from Sion's battlemage levels as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fire set that cancels status effects each turn is nice too.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It was a mistake to pick group D, as Giselle brutally murdered the VHPD and Irene by herself via support fire.

I realize you can unequip her but actually I didn't expect to fight her straight up.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The masteries that improve drop chance works only for that character or for the entire squad?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sandweed posted:

The masteries that improve drop chance works only for that character or for the entire squad?

Only for that character.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

gently caress.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how many tiers of classes are there?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

So how many tiers of classes are there?

In terms of mechanics, Humans have only basic and advanced classes (which you can switch around at your convenience), while Beasts may or may not have evolution paths depending on their species and maturity.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

In terms of mechanics, Humans have only basic and advanced classes (which you can switch around at your convenience), while Beasts may or may not have evolution paths depending on their species and maturity.

Well that is disappointing. Anyway got the game recently and while for the most part I am enjoying it, I am growing to hate the longer missions when you have to butcher what seems like an army of goons and they just keep on coming.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

Well that is disappointing. Anyway got the game recently and while for the most part I am enjoying it, I am growing to hate the longer missions when you have to butcher what seems like an army of goons and they just keep on coming.

You can increase the speed of enemy actions in the menu, at least. I know I set that to fastest by the endgame. I think the first Magenta Street story mission is the worst on that account.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

You can increase the speed of enemy actions in the menu, at least. I know I set that to fastest by the endgame. I think the first Magenta Street story mission is the worst on that account.

It was the Magenta Street map but the one that broke me was the boss hunting one where you have to kill 6 of them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, all those boss hunting maps are veeeery long, also optional and you can often leave after each boss is eliminated. They're there for the challenge or for farming stuff. Personally I'd hold off on doing the purple missions until you have a full party, you can always revisit them on challenge mode and the long missions are more fun if it's just your crew after sending the cops away.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say gently caress snipers. My biggest gripe of the game is that for a long time there are some very obvious holes in your roster which you can do nothing but keep on doing story in the hope that you can finally fill them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the slow pace of character introductions early on are a relic of the game being released bit by bit during early access. usually giving you enough characters to play with right from the start is the standard for tactics games, but for troubleshooter those characters were not finished until later. heck, apparently it took a while before even sion was added.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Well now there are to many and my friendships are being torn asunder!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like the game should just let you bring everyone to every mission, rather than having arbitrary character slot limits that only start to apply at the very end.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The last DLC mission *did* dump the entire crew into it, so that might be the standard going forward, who knows? Also, those clown bastards can go to hell, the mission was brutal.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agreed. The backup VHPD was a gameplay crutch for when we had few characters, nowadays there is no reason to not deploy everyone and relegate the VHPD to friendly NPC territory. At least not until Jane and Giselle have the benefits of an Exalted Bond going on.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It does feel good when you start to get a complete squad. I am also disappointed in the rest of my team for not learning target priority when it came to the police exercises.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sion just smoked Anne the second he appeared so at least has learned a few things.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
giselle... :pleading emoji:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how do you deal with bosses with skills that means after a certain point they take basically no damage? Also just did the boss hunt for the White Tigers or whatever and nothing quite like a map with 90 loving enemies with 9 bosses you have to deal with at one point or another.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

So how do you deal with bosses with skills that means after a certain point they take basically no damage? Also just did the boss hunt for the White Tigers or whatever and nothing quite like a map with 90 loving enemies with 9 bosses you have to deal with at one point or another.

I imagine you just had an encounter with John. Even though he's immortal, he is not immune to being blinded, stunned or placed inside Anne's starlight prison, so just dump every negative stat you have available on his face until the Immortality buff expires. The game can get tough, but never unfair. If you mean people with Final Resistance, bleeding/poison/burning or the <elemental> bolt skills all ignore their damage resistance.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

I imagine you just had an encounter with John. Even though he's immortal, he is not immune to being blinded, stunned or placed inside Anne's starlight prison, so just dump every negative stat you have available on his face until the Immortality buff expires. The game can get tough, but never unfair. If you mean people with Final Resistance, bleeding/poison/burning or the <elemental> bolt skills all ignore their damage resistance.

Already past John. That trick did catch me by surprise but at least it was very clear what to do with him. I will keep that in mind when it comes to dealing with Final Resistance but it is definitely easier to deal with when you do not have like 20 enemies on your back. I do agree that the game is mostly fair it is just that sometimes when enough enemies are on the screen it can feel very frustrating as you wait for a chance to do anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stun, Freeze, and the frog transformation spell that Bianca learns all negate block, which overrides Final Guard. Unfortunately pretty much every boss is immune to stun, but you can freeze them at least.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

If they have impulse fields have someone get them to half health or slightly under and have a mage drop them from there. It only activates if they’re alive and under 33% or w/e it is. If it actually activates then you’re stuck wasting a few turns with a martial artist most likely. If you’re not pretty much done with the game then they probably do the most reliable damage through block without risking too much by being exposed.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
bleed and poison usually work too, from what I recall. Most enemies packing final resistance are not also packing physical status immunity, at least unless my memory is totally failing me. It is absolutely an obnoxious mastery set though that they love throwing around toward the back end of the game.

Speaking of freeze, it's incredibly funny how many things it works on. Throw the ice ESP user you get late in the game together with a frost draki baron and just go absolutely ham turning the entire field of enemies into ice blocks. Bonus points: Hunter Giselle with the pincer attack with beast mastery and the non-sniper fire support mastery along with some source of infinite overwatch, either via Heixing's mastery set for it or a drone with the appropriate modules. 3 times between each of her turns, reactively have an enemy shot via overwatch, then by Giselle, and then by her pet, which, if it is a frost draki baron, congrats, their turn is now over because they were just reactively frozen. Because enemies cannot move through allied spaces this can quickly result in your enemy forming a wall of their own frozen buddies that they cannot reach you through.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bleed works but I tend to find that these particular enemies often end up having their turn pushed back to the stone age so it's a little slow.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Multihit attacks help some as well, Heixings Annihlation shot can deal with tanky boys most of the time, bonus here is it bypasses impulse fields and if you kill a boss before he hits 33% then final resistance never activates, albus if he has castle gate breakthru and is a blademaster build can hit a target like 4 times with his second melee ability and thats usually enough to kill people in final resistance. Sion if you go whole hog into glass cannon black mage can often deal like 3k damage even thru block and resistances. But by far freeze is the easiest way to deal with them.

Early on in the game one of my more memorable ways of dealing with bosses like that was to have Anne entangling root them and have VHPD swat surround the guy and kick him in the nuts every turn.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SpRahl posted:

Early on in the game one of my more memorable ways of dealing with bosses like that was to have Anne entangling root them and have VHPD swat surround the guy and kick him in the nuts every turn.

lol, that was almost exactly what I did with Darius the first time I beat the final scenario mission. Literally left him hanging out with an VHPD defender under permanent iron wall while I cleared the rest of the map.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just reached the point where I get Leton. Well that changed my opinion of Carter quickly. A lot of Valhalla can get hosed but since he appears to be doing it for the benefit of the secret council then his actions become a lot more hosed up.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just got this game. Three words:

gently caress Fire Veil.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Just got this game. Three words:

gently caress Fire Veil.

This is just the tip of the the iceberg of what this game is going to throw at you.

Another great thing on the long list of great things about this game is how varied all the different enemy types and organisations are. Each one has their own unique way of being incredibly annoying sometimes. I really do appreciate how much effort went into giving them all their own niches.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fire Veil seems positively quaint at this point, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

It is. It's a huge deal in the early game when your party is slow as molasses and not equipped to handle the game throwing a dozen spoons at you. Getting one or multiple people stunned from the pushback can easily end up with a party member killed so I get where they're coming from.