Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The UFO mytharc on the X-Files didn’t really fall apart until after the movie and I’d honestly argue that the UFO conspiracy stuff in the very early seasons is just as good as the monster of the week stuff.

Some of my favorite episodes are story episodes, although they're not quite as rewatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The UFO mytharc on the X-Files didn’t really fall apart until after the movie and I’d honestly argue that the UFO conspiracy stuff in the very early seasons is just as good as the monster of the week stuff.
If memory serves, the original plan was that the show would wrap up at the end of the fifth season then make the transition to films, which would continue and eventually conclude the main arcs of the series. Unfortunately, back in the late 1990s Fox was having trouble keeping shows going and X-Files was one of the few reliable hits they had, so they offered Chris Carter a ton of money to keep the show going, and so he did. After the celebrations, the showrunners then looked around the table and asked themselves "well what the hell do we do now???" and as a result the whole colonization arc went pear-shaped.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 season 7 "Prodigal Daughter" (the one with Ezri's family) is so weird. Did they suddenly forget that A/B plots are a thing they can do? Why did we just spend a whole hour with these people?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Lemming posted:

DS9 season 7 "Prodigal Daughter" (the one with Ezri's family) is so weird. Did they suddenly forget that A/B plots are a thing they can do? Why did we just spend a whole hour with these people?
To me it felt like they wanted to get an Ezri-centric episode in before they had to wrap up the show. It's not very good though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s nothing short of ironic that ONE YEAR LATER was perhaps one of the most iconic twists in the show and was heralded by Moore and others as the smartest move they’d ever pulled off, and yet it fundamentally broke the back of the show and it never recovered from it or crawled out of the corner it painted itself into.

On this subject, I think it's about time we had another BSG remake, as different from the last one and the original as the last one already was from the original. The concept is really solid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We're getting one, kinda, via Mr. Robot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tvinsider.com/935779/battlestar-galactica-reboot-peacock-series-sam-esmail/amp/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 14, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

To me it felt like they wanted to get an Ezri-centric episode in before they had to wrap up the show. It's not very good though.

I just checked Memory Alpha and it sounds like they literally just couldn't figure out a good plot but had to film it anyway. They were going to do a thing where Ezri's mom had strong-armed someone at Starfleet and/or Trill into giving her daughter the symbiont even though she wasn't the best candidate, but they felt like it made Starfleet look too much like chumps. But then they didn't have anything to replace it with, so it was just a void.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Huh. And from 6 months ago even. Well, obviously I'm in to give it a shot, if it's still in development.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe battlestar can become a franchise and then we can watch that instead.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am watching through for the first time since the 90's and can confirm. Even if the plots aren't great, there is usually so much good character stuff happening and it all still feels really fresh. Lots of memorable surreal imagery too.

Plus they were really good at subverting audience expectations, in some cases starting an episode off like it was a MOTW but then you get hit with major plot development out of nowhere.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 14, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am watching through for the first time since the 90's and can confirm. Even if the plots aren't great, there is usually so much good character stuff happening and it all still feels really fresh. Lots of memorable surreal imagery too.

Plus they were really good at subverting audience expectations, in some cases starting an episode off like it was a MOTW but then you get hit with major plot development out of nowhere.

Oh for sure. I think a lot of the early stuff, particularly the kind of rainy DC night scenes with Deep Throat, also has an almost neo-noir/conspiracy thriller vibe that fell away after a while. There's some genuinely tense and creepy stuff in those early mytharc episodes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe battlestar can become a franchise and then we can watch that instead.

You mean Caprica or Blood and Chrome?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh for sure. I think a lot of the early stuff, particularly the kind of rainy DC night scenes with Deep Throat, also has an almost neo-noir/conspiracy thriller vibe that fell away after a while. There's some genuinely tense and creepy stuff in those early mytharc episodes.

The sequence where Scully gets the package for Deep Throat was one of the great :tviv: experiences of my childhood. They really crafted some incredible suspense in their prime.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

As someone who enjoys the trans reads of Dax, I really like it. Honestly though, while I like Ezri, there is WAY too much Ezri-centric in that season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timeless Appeal posted:

As someone who enjoys the trans reads of Dax, I really like it. Honestly though, while I like Ezri, there is WAY too much Ezri-centric in that season.
It’s almost certainly because they have to give her more time since she’s a new character

I’m kind of iffy on if any of it works though

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

https://twitter.com/carlinspace/status/1349574511591526401?s=20

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I felt like the other Ezri episodes were characterization enough, like even though she wasn't the A story in any of them it all totaled up, and the Ezri-centric episode should have been attempted in an eighth season had they done one

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

I felt like the other Ezri episodes were characterization enough, like even though she wasn't the A story in any of them it all totaled up, and the Ezri-centric episode should have been attempted in an eighth season had they done one

They knew there wouldn't be a season eight from the start and that season seven would be their only chance to have one, though.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Also, the way a lot of people reacted to Ezri was kinda a slap in the face to Worf and Jadzia. I feel like the spent 2-3 episodes where Julian and Quark were just talking about how much the loved and should have been banging Jadzia instead of Worf who wasn't good enough for her. And they did it pretty much to his face.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
By contrast, I felt like they demonstrated impressive restraint in the use of Worf in season 4. Some episodes he's barely in!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Minidust posted:

By contrast, I felt like they demonstrated impressive restraint in the use of Worf in season 4. Some episodes he's barely in!

Whenever Worf's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Worf?"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It would have been probably more interesting to give Dax a male host after Jadzia. But totally apart from the squeamishness of 90s TV producers re: gender stuff, that also would have meant going down to only one woman in the main cast, so I understand why they didn't do it. But just imagine those "breakup" conversations between Ezri and Worf if Ezri had been a man. That would have been so cool.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Minidust posted:

I want to say I read somewhere that the first few scripts for season 4 were already being written before it was confirmed Worf was joining the cast, so he’s just kinda haphazardly shoved into a few episodes after Way of the Warrior.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s almost certainly because they have to give her more time since she’s a new character

I’m kind of iffy on if any of it works though
I like Ezri a lot honestly, and I think my bigger issue is that they underestimated Nicole's ability to really establish the character through just ya know acting. You see so many Star Trek characters struggle to really establish themselves--Voyager's bad because its cast by and large fails at this. But I think Ezri has good hooks and you get her deal pretty quickly.

They just didn't need to do THAT much to establish her character. A lot of her establishment episodes are just not necessary. But I think the bigger issue for me is the amount of men being weird about wanting to bang her. I don't care for that at all.

But I think Season Seven has weird focuses. Rewatching I was like, "Man, It's Only a Paper Moon is a great sendoff to Vic... oh wait."

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Gay Worf would have been cool, they could have pulled that off.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

thotsky posted:

“Two warriors sharing such intimacy is a most honorable act.”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thotsky posted:

I mean that one mirror episode kind of plays with kinky subtext between him and Garak.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

100% on board with Spartan style Klingons.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

mirror garak was poo poo

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Royal Updog posted:

mirror garak was poo poo
- Andrew J. Robinson

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

jeeves posted:

Apparently his wife basically almost disowned him from the ONE YEAR LATER stunt he did in S2 finale.

And yes, it's good for a writer to risks but BSG is a perfect example of making poo poo up as you go and pretending to have a PLAN ALL ALONG (heh heh @ Cylons). LOST would basically run this poo poo into the ground, as Jar Jar Abrams has made an entire career out of it.

I think his recent foray into Star Wars has definitely proved this.

To be fair this is more of a core writing quality issue than anything to do with planning. Lots of people get really precious about the idea of a series being totally planned (see: The Wire, Babylon 5), but good writers are going to do a good job whether they plan or not.

You can start at the end and work back and that's fine. You can also throw some poo poo at the wall and make things fit later and that's fine, too. The problem is that lovely writers (and you can see this all over BSG) just loving love writing checks that they can't ever hope to cash. That show lived and died on idiot cliffhangers and no amount of preplanning can fix those kinds of fundamental writing problems.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hey stop going crazy in there

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Royal Updog posted:

mirror garak was poo poo

Turns out the mirror universe version of a good character is a bad character.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I'm not going to say planning everything in advance never pays off, but most of the time it's actually more about making it look like it was planned. Too much planning has pitfalls of its own, if you're not willing to deviate from the plan as the show evolves. See How I Met Your Mother.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gonna rewatch Q-Pid tonight for the first time in 20 years with my girlfriend. Wish me luck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I'm not going to say planning everything in advance never pays off, but most of the time it's actually more about making it look like it was planned. Too much planning has pitfalls of its own, if you're not willing to deviate from the plan as the show evolves. See How I Met Your Mother.

God, don't get me started on HIMYM; I don't think a series finale has ever made me as viscerally angry as that one.

Broadly speaking, I don't think shows need to have a beginning, middle and end wrapped out. The issue with the Star Wars sequel trilogy, for example, isn't that there was no plan in place, the issue is that the storytelling was dogshit.

Conversely, DS9 doesn't stick the landing with its final, intricately planned, seven-episode arc, because Ira Behr loves huffing his own farts and no one was around to tell him that he wasn't having the greatest ideas since sliced bread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You don't need to have a totally worked out 5 year plan from the start, but if your story is going somewhere, you need some kind of idea of where it's going. There's a lot of ways to do do that and structure your writing instead of making everything up on the spur of the moment, which will end up a gamble at one point or another. If you at least have one big idea for something down the line, you can do some seeding to make it flow better (so long as you don't get pissy if anyone guesses and change everything at the last moment).

Having a plan probably also helps with having to pass all your plans by the executives (or strategizing ways to get around them if that's how you want to play it). Otherwise you're always gonna be gambling that the next thing you do will be torn to shreds after you've already put the time and creative effort into things.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

jeeves posted:

Gonna rewatch Q-Pid tonight for the first time in 20 years with my girlfriend. Wish me luck.

You know, having never seen it before a couple weeks ago, I thought the first 20-odd minutes of that episode were really great - both funny and full of good character moments. Then of course it all goes completely off the loving rails, but still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The problem with having an airtight 5 year plan is that you will be cancelled in 3 or asked to go 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Timby posted:

God, don't get me started on HIMYM; I don't think a series finale has ever made me as viscerally angry as that one.

Broadly speaking, I don't think shows need to have a beginning, middle and end wrapped out. The issue with the Star Wars sequel trilogy, for example, isn't that there was no plan in place, the issue is that the storytelling was dogshit

And it was dogshit because it was mystery box writing, which is setting up plot points with no plan while assuring the audience there Has To Be A Reason That Makes Sense