Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you eat a polar bear's liver you'll die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

637dollars
Jan 14, 2021

by Athanatos

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you eat a polar bear's liver you'll die

Why?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It really pisses off the polar bear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because of their diet polar bear liver contains a concentration of vitamin A that is toxic to humans.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

It is not understood how marine mammals drink. (Whales, dolphins, orcas, etc.)

The salt content of their blood and fluids is pretty much the same as any other mammal. We know 1) they don't have to worry about dehydrating from sun exposure and 2) they get some fresh water from what they eat. But those two things don't explain how they get enough water when they can't drink or swallow seawater.

never thought about this but maybe cellular osmosis with selective permeability?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this! posted:

Because of their diet polar bear liver contains a concentration of vitamin A that is toxic to humans.

I believe it's about both the sheer concentration and also the form. There is preformed vitamin A, found in things like liver, and proformed vitamin A, found in things like carrots. My understanding is that you can overdose on the first type but no amount of the second can hurt you, though eating too many carrots can make you look like the president.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
The European colonization of Australia began when Great Britain decided they wanted all their good looking citizens to leave.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Australia is the country with the second highest proportion of people with Irish antecedents, more than the United Kingdom, a country that includes a big chunk of Ireland.

Anne Whateley posted:

I couldn't find info on the top percentile of global income, but the second link is explicitly about income, not assets. And on $60k it's gonna take you awhile to get to $1m of assets.

It is remarkably hard to find information on global income distribution but I found this. My claim is strictly in regards to income. The Bloomberg link is paywalled for me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm guessing that includes places in like Africa where people make $1 USD a day.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"pretzel" and "brachiosaurus" share an etymological root

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the original goridan knot was created in 1977 by a young Al Gore as a science fair demonstration

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

pretty much anything is toxic in high enough quantities but you can't od on stuff like vitamin b because it's water soluble and you'll just piss out the excess. vitamin a is fat soluble so it stays inside your body and kills you. unless you have a way to piss fat

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

pretty much anything is toxic in high enough quantities but you can't od on stuff like vitamin b because it's water soluble and you'll just piss out the excess. vitamin a is fat soluble so it stays inside your body and kills you. unless you have a way to piss fat

olestra to the rescue!

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

what is a webp image and why can't I save it to my pc for later shitposting? I don't want a link, I want an image so I can prove that the chips that caused anal leakage was real and not something I made up

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Caedus posted:

what is a webp image and why can't I save it to my pc for later shitposting? I don't want a link, I want an image so I can prove that the chips that caused anal leakage was real and not something I made up

You can screen capture it and crop it, that's what I do whenever I want to use a webp image that I've found.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i just posted the chips

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Caedus posted:

It's the magic new web image format that will solve all our web image problems by not being supported by anything.
It's main use seems to be to stop me leaching images off of reddit.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mozi posted:

olestra to the rescue!

Here's a random fact to blow your mind (and butthole), after the public caught on to "WOW" chips giving you diarrhea they just rebranded them and continued selling them for a long time.

I think they were still required to add this warning:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tip posted:

Here's a random fact to blow your mind (and butthole), after the public caught on to "WOW" chips giving you diarrhea they just rebranded them and continued selling them for a long time.

It will give me those awesome slippery greased up poops?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Tip posted:

loose stools is my fetlife.com name

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flannelette posted:

It will give me those awesome slippery greased up poops?

Basically Olestra could technically cut the fat content of chips because it wasn't absorbed by the body. However this means it treated your body like a waterslide and just passed right through and could cause "anal leakage."

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The same is true for most non-sugar sweeteners. They’ll give you the liquid shits if you have too much because they’re not digested

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

muscles like this! posted:

Basically Olestra could technically cut the fat content of chips because it wasn't absorbed by the body. However this means it treated your body like a waterslide and just passed right through and could cause "anal leakage."

Is there a way to get ahold of pure olestra?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

It's all about getting a-hol'd.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The same is true for most non-sugar sweeteners. They’ll give you the liquid shits if you have too much because they’re not digested

I thought artificial sweetners did it by not being absorbed then the bacteria in your gut goes to town on it giving you gas and diarrhea.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Try to hunt down the essay ‘A Fat of No Consequence’ by Jeffery Steingarten, an oldie but a goodie.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

If you times something by 9 then the answer should always add up to 9
So for example:

2 x 9 = 18 (1 + 8 = 9)
12 x 9 = 108 (1 + 0 + 8 = 9)
1213 x 9 = 10917 (1 + 0 + 9 + 1 + 7 = 18 then it follows that 1 + 8 = 9)

I don't know if this is common knowledge or if it is correct all the time but I noticed it and thought it was cool

It is correct all the time. Think about it this way: it easily works for 1x9=9. And if you add 9 to any number, one of two things happens:

1. The last digit of your original number is 0, so it changes to 9 and the sum of the digits goes up by 9. Example: 90->99
2. The last digit of your original number isn't 0, so it goes down by 1 and the tens go up by 1. Example: 63->72
3. The last digit of your original number isn't 0, and there are a bunch of 9s before that -- so the last digit goes down by 1, a bunch of 9s flip over to 0s, and some other digit goes up by one. Example: 999->1000

In all of these examples you're either adding a multiple of 9, removing a multiple of 9, or leaving the sum of the digits as it is, so the sum of the digits will always be a multiple of 9.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
To add: the maths thing that blows my mind is the concept of a Normal number.

Put simply (and slightly inaccurately for the sake of emphasis): you know the popular myth that every possible sequence of numbers must appear somewhere in pi, because pi goes on forever without repeating? It's not necessarily true of pi, but any number it is true of is called a normal number.

Here's the thing: we know that the vast majority of numbers are normal: for every non-normal number there are infinitely many normal ones. But it's incredibly hard to prove that any given number is normal, and the vast majority of numbers that we do use are non-normal. It's like all the numbers that are interesting to mathematicians are tiny little points of light in a huge dark sea of stuff that we barely have the maths to describe.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 15, 2021

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

am i a normal number

Uncle Piss Salad
Jan 11, 2021

by Athanatos
I've had access to the internet from my home at full speed for free for two plus years.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Uncle Piss Salad posted:

I've had access to the internet from my home at full speed for free for two plus years.

hey is that salad

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mozi posted:

olestra to the rescue!

Here's a mind-blowing fact: I never got diarrhea from Olestra. :shrug:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Whybird posted:

It is correct all the time. Think about it this way: it easily works for 1x9=9. And if you add 9 to any number, one of two things happens:

1. The last digit of your original number is 0, so it changes to 9 and the sum of the digits goes up by 9. Example: 90->99
2. The last digit of your original number isn't 0, so it goes down by 1 and the tens go up by 1. Example: 63->72
3. The last digit of your original number isn't 0, and there are a bunch of 9s before that -- so the last digit goes down by 1, a bunch of 9s flip over to 0s, and some other digit goes up by one. Example: 999->1000

In all of these examples you're either adding a multiple of 9, removing a multiple of 9, or leaving the sum of the digits as it is, so the sum of the digits will always be a multiple of 9.

I learned that as a kid in a rootin' tooin' country song!

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 15, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I thought that was only true for sugar alcohol sweeteners such as xylitol and mannitol. Haven’t heard of it happening with aspartame, sucralose, saccharine, acesulfam...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Falukorv posted:

I thought that was only true for sugar alcohol sweeteners such as xylitol and mannitol. Haven’t heard of it happening with aspartame, sucralose, saccharine, acesulfam...

It’s a scale, but isn’t limited to just sugar alcohols.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/2018-04-17/the-best-and-worst-sweeteners-for-your-gut

E: I guess I shouldn’t have put “most non sugar sweeteners.” And you’re right, polyols are gonna make you doodoo.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 15, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s a scale, but isn’t limited to just sugar alcohols.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/2018-04-17/the-best-and-worst-sweeteners-for-your-gut

E: I guess I shouldn’t have put “most non sugar sweeteners.” And you’re right, polyols are gonna make you doodoo.

polylols come from reading polyamory relationship advice posts

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Whybird posted:

To add: the maths thing that blows my mind is the concept of a Normal number.

Put simply (and slightly inaccurately for the sake of emphasis): you know the popular myth that every possible sequence of numbers must appear somewhere in pi, because pi goes on forever without repeating? It's not necessarily true of pi, but any number it is true of is called a normal number.

Here's the thing: we know that the vast majority of numbers are normal: for every non-normal number there are infinitely many normal ones. But it's incredibly hard to prove that any given number is normal, and the vast majority of numbers that we do use are non-normal. It's like all the numbers that are interesting to mathematicians are tiny little points of light in a huge dark sea of stuff that we barely have the maths to describe.

i think it is impossible for any mathematical fact to be mind-blowing. "If 3/9+3/9+3/9=9/9=1 then 0.333...+0.333...+0.333...=0.999...=1.0 isn't that mind blowing?" then all non-mathematicians have to smile and nod.

I think it is because mathematical concepts have the property of being both discovered and invented. So being told a "mind-blowing" mathematical paradox feels like the equivalent of being told about something extraordinary that happened in a fictional story.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

until 1980, the word "dick" was censored on american television even when used as someone's name.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And that's why it was called "____ Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve" for the first eight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dingleberry was a real fruit that went extinct only a couple hundred years ago. The riparian environments it existed in were eliminated due to the buildup of water-powered mills in the early days of the industrial revolution. The last dingleberry salad was apparently eaten at White's, in London.