Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

What niche do the libdems fill that 8% will vote for them for non-tactical reasons in the list?

Shetland and Orkney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Shetland and Orkney.

They're still voting Whig up there.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's complex by design. When the tories say 'it's down to labour councils,' people don't hear that and immediately start chasing down budgets and publicly available accounts. They assume that it's mean old Labour running out of money again because Jeminy Croblem spent it all on jam and bicycles.

There are two explainations - a senior downing street source who pushes a headline-ready soundbite to their favourite journalists saying it's local councils actually, or citizen journalists that publish a wall of graphs and big words detailing the intricate network of school friends giving each other million pound contracts*.

Take a crack at which version of reality the media goes with.

* that journos won't touch with a bargepole because they're on half those lists.

So whose decision is it to make whether the free school meals provision comes in the form of parcels, vouchers, or cash? Because I think I've read local authorities making the decision to switch to vouchers, were they always able to do this or is it imposed from top down?

I don't doubt that Chartwells and other wastes of skin got the contract through corruption. I also can see local authorities forced to accept the lowest bid or whatever bollocks they've been told by central government.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ think I read it's individual schools, but until like yesterday the DoE guidance very strongly encouraged giving parcels instead of vouchers

bitterandtwisted posted:

What niche do the libdems fill that 8% will vote for them for non-tactical reasons in the list?
They allow Very Sensible People to distance themselves from any semblance of actual power so they can smugly talk down to everyone else without ever feeling personally culpable for anything

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
7 day average is 1,060 deaths/day now, first day over 1,500 registered.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

peanut- posted:

Anyone else basically just not getting mail anymore? I feel like the delivery situation is much worse than Royal Mail are letting on. I know they published a list of areas experiencing delays a few days ago, but my area wasn't on it and I don't think a single letter has been delivered to my building (8 flats) since a week and a half ago.

Parcels still turning up promptly though

Got a bunch of Xmas cards last week, postmarked 20-21 Dec. They've been delivering after 6pm since the new year too, not seen that before.

Also ordered a small drill/buffer from ebay on a link my gf sent me the other day, didn't clock it was from China. They refunded me yesterday with a message of 'your item has been returned as the courier couldn't get in touch with you', instead of 'lol like gently caress we're delivering to Leper Island from here, don't even think of trying again'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

bitterandtwisted posted:

shy tory farmers

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bitterandtwisted posted:

A lot of it is tradition. the Northern Isles, the Highlands, these are about as traditional Liberal heartlands (to a lesser extent the part of Fife around St Andrews & some bits of the Borders) as those weird parts of South West England that return some Liberal freak. In 1945's landslide for Labour there were 12 Liberal MPs, 11 National Liberal & 2 "independent Liberal". 5 were from rural Scotland. Since 1800 Orkney & Shetland have had 2 MPs who were Tory, the rest were Whig or Liberal. I know in the Highlands the Liberals built their support up by passing policies favourable to the Highland Land League (you don't hear anything about the 2nd Highland Land League who formed either during or after the 1st World War as a reaction to a failure to deliver promises made during the war, & so started up with rent strikes & occupying land. One of those parts of radical history that doesn't get its due I guess because it only involved Teuchters) which gave them a base to build from & then became embedded here for most of the 20th century. Shite, Inverness had Liberal MPs from 1865 until 2015 with just a few breaks (1895-1900 Tory, 1950-1964 Tory, 1997-2005 Labour). Danny Alexander & the Coalition did a proper number on them though, 40% of the vote in 2010 to 10.7% in 2019. Hopefully that's the cunts in the bin now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Our new house is odd for post, because satnavs tend to direct people to the back of the house, since the front is pedestrianised. Every courier and Amazon delivery goes to the back of the house, but royal mail park by the garages across the wayand deliver to the front.

I am convinced now that they don't even bother trying to deliver if it's bigger than the postbox and just stick a card through the door telling us to arrange redelivery. The couriers bless them will just drop the parcel anywhere in the back garden and then bang on the conservatory windows, but RM have been really snarky recently with redelivery slips.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Nearly all the cards we got didn't have franked stamps, so royal mail are losing money that way as well.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I cant believe banging on about the union as if the whole of Scotland is The Republic of Ian Murray Edinburgh South hasn't won over any SNP voters.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did the fisheries minister really admit she didn't read the brexit trade deal because she was doing a nativity trail?

Lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems like Brexit is really loving supply chains in RoI at the moment, not exactly unanticipated

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/kwnxvv/things_are_fucked_in_the_port_some_supply_chains

Personally:
- my Screwfix orders used to be next day and the most recent one is 2 weeks delayed at UK customs

- supermarket shelves seem bare (intersection with new lockdown stockpiling there)

- waiting on a new fridge which has taken 2 months to get here, talked to their warehouse guy and he said "it's absolute carnage down here" lol.

All first world problems and I'm not too put out, but yes they truly hosed it

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

serious gaylord posted:

Did the fisheries minister really admit she didn't read the brexit trade deal because she was doing a nativity trail?

Lmao

I was under the impression that most MPs don't read the bills, but lol if you admit it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/theannalytical/status/1349392166716657664?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I was ATEAB

E:lmao that whole thread

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 14, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/97749542#/

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems like Brexit is really loving supply chains in RoI at the moment, not exactly unanticipated

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/kwnxvv/things_are_fucked_in_the_port_some_supply_chains

My work sends some samples to Dublin for testing, at first it was a little tricksy but we figured it out pretty quickly. Unfortunately another site can't figure it out for themselves so their solution is to send us their samples simply to post on for them. Such efficiency!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

7 day average is 1,060 deaths/day now, first day over 1,500 registered.

Average time from diagnosis to death is four weeks. Increase in cases started to decelerate 3-4 days ago.

We're getting another 3.5 weeks of increasing deaths, inevitably, before they start to level off. And the death rate per case is likely to increase as the hospitals get overwhelmed and are unable to provide their usual standard of care.

It's horrifying and it's wholly on the government.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Maugrim posted:

Average time from diagnosis to death is four weeks. Increase in cases started to decelerate 3-4 days ago.

We're getting another 3.5 weeks of increasing deaths, inevitably, before they start to level off. And the death rate per case is likely to increase as the hospitals get overwhelmed and are unable to provide their usual standard of care.

It's horrifying and it's wholly on the government.

So a 2 point rise in the polls then

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Pole fitness

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

The pole is less shocking than the price.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jose posted:

So a 2 point rise in the polls then

A change of leadership would be too disruptive in this time of crisis.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Borrovan posted:

jfc they're gonna do this, aren't they

without a shred of self-awareness about Blairism
TBF Corbyn has soiled the Labour brand, they’re going to find it very difficult to sell empty-suit vapid hairdo politics now that people have seen a possible alternative

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

£595,000, in cash, tucked into the seller's underwear

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Lmao

I assume she has Johnson’s full support though. And Starmer’s.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1349652005841735681?s=19

Hmmmmm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/mrjohnofarrell/status/1348943000022503429

Labour silencing Jewish voices now, is it?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

StarkingBarfish posted:

Pole dancing isn't even shocking anymore. My partner does pole fitness, its almost certainly not even a sex worker thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1349410506461818882

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much of Labour's slight poll rise in the last year has been due solely to old people dying of Covid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I blame Ceremy Jorbyn and his million pound house.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If it's an average of four weeks from infection to death, and the headline death stat is 'number dead within 28 days of positive test', then aren't we going to be missing a whole lot of dead from that stat, depending on the standard deviation? Obviously 28 days from a positive test is probably more like 30-35 days since infection, but that's still got to be missing a significant chunk, right?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jakabite posted:

If it's an average of four weeks from infection to death, and the headline death stat is 'number dead within 28 days of positive test', then aren't we going to be missing a whole lot of dead from that stat, depending on the standard deviation? Obviously 28 days from a positive test is probably more like 30-35 days since infection, but that's still got to be missing a significant chunk, right?
The cruelty inaccuracy is the point.

They switched over to this measure last summer the juke the stats, icr what the old measure was but the change brought the death tolls way down (& also freed them up to claim that the real number is lower since you can get hit by a bus after a positive Covid test & still count)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

willie_dee posted:

Pole dancing isn't even shocking anymore. My partner does pole fitness, its almost certainly not even a sex worker thing.

I've seen so many Youtube videos where those poles come away from the ceiling and fling some girl through a coffee table or something. I assume they're supposed to be bolted to both the floor and ceiling but a lot of people skip that bit when they set it up.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jakabite posted:

is it first positive test or positive test? And is that totally uniform? I thought the big day by day mortality rate inequalities were related to available lab and admin capacity at weekends, and there are at least policies about getting covid tests from patients on the reg for later discharge and modelling uses.

but then the whole quiet triage of care homes incident means that it's a trivial fact that figure massaging for press enjoyment is a threshold the government crossed long ago, with the actual peak mortality of over 1.5k for several days still a way off. It'd be risky and stupid to find another way to shuffle papers, so a press that refuses to do any journalism in case it gets told off is a huge bonus to getting away with that. If you wanted to. Which they, evidently, do. Not that they necessarily are, today. Just that they want to do that, have incentive to do that, have done that, and would almost certainly not be questioned or criticised for doing it again.

I crack pinged on the whole thing around the time the EU went "yeah we aren't even a little concerned about your variant actually" and the telegraphs "we've saved SO MUCH PENSION MONEY dear reader," article has really pushed me into a cold, still ocean of paranoia.

Borrovan posted:

The cruelty inaccuracy is the point.

They switched over to this measure last summer the juke the stats, icr what the old measure was but the change brought the death tolls way down (& also freed them up to claim that the real number is lower since you can get hit by a bus after a positive Covid test & still count)

nah pre-june was just "hospitals only" so care homes/dying at home didn't count. There's a good amount of detailed anecdotal evidence of cases, often regarding minority women, not listened to and ending up dead before setting foot in the hospital - the guardian was running it as part of the ever-present motif of "arent these bad things sad, we will loving come for you if you try to stop the bad thing"

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 14, 2021

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I honestly thought the post was about bringing up the absolutely absurd price of £600,000 for a tiny second floor flat. That is just absolutely stupid money.

Near me, that kind of money will get this.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/99195497#/ - A nice 4 bed detached that looks really nice inside. That's also Bristol which is still expensive.

How about going north a bit and spending just slightly over half that amount for this.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/82507606#/

It's utterly crazy how the London house prices have spiralled.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Instead of buying a flat in Chelsea I simply moved to Montana and now have my own 100 acre cult compound for the same money.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Boris doing it again: https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1349710852811849733

Mogg talking Brexit benefit: https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1349689694339149824?s=19

And UKIP sink even lower! https://twitter.com/Okeating/status/1349692402198597634

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Maybe this time noone will say anything and we'll get to starve the kids.