Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I've got a question about something I've heard about but never been able to read about : what were the "Philly Indie Wars" I've heard them called? If they were something not nearly so grandiose as to warrant the name, I would buy that.

Are you referring to XPW and CZW's feud over who could run the ECW arena? XPW desperately wanted to take ECW's mantle and signed an exclusive lease with the Arena. At the time CZW and XPW were also running the building so they had to go find other venues. XPW was also trying to get wrestlers to no show opposition shows by offering them more money to go with XPW. This included CZW and ROH mainstays like the Backseats, Wifebeater, Ruckus, the Briscoes, CM Punk, etc and Dusty Rhodes who had an agreement with 3PW.

XPW's exclusive run lasted less than two months as they started bouncing checks. The PA commission also came after them for a bunch of violations as well. The Arena kept their $30,000 deposit and the company went under a couple of months later when Rob Black and Lizzie Borden were indicted on unrelated charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rob Feinstein would also call fire chiefs and tell them rival shows were over capacity. Apparently this used to be common practice in independent wrestling.

He apparently pulled this in NY as well to try and gently caress with USA Pro (who used to run 4 hr shows).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rob Feinstein would also call fire chiefs and tell them rival shows were over capacity. Apparently this used to be common practice in independent wrestling.

He apparently pulled this in NY as well to try and gently caress with USA Pro (who used to run 4 hr shows).

Isn't there rumours that Gabe did that to New Japan on one of their US dates?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there rumours that Gabe did that to New Japan on one of their US dates?

I think someone is rumored to have canceled the ambulance/paramedic they needed per state regulations and they couldn't start the show without them there.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think someone is rumored to have canceled the ambulance/paramedic they needed per state regulations and they couldn't start the show without them there.
Correct. But nobody knows who did it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Has anyone ordered any of the jackets from Nerds Clothing? I kinda want the bullet club one but their on site sizing chart says that a 5XL from them is smaller than an American XS and that doesn't seem right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I am not familiar with this site but my guess is that they are using just a horizontal chest measurement and you're used to seeing circumference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Wrong forum :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I am not familiar with this site but my guess is that they are using just a horizontal chest measurement and you're used to seeing circumference.

I found a guy who bought one from their Twitter page and confirmed this is the case!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Has anyone used to the Crippler Crossface since the Benoit incident? I guess either for HEATTTTTTTT in 1time spots, or longterm heat... or like maybe they just dont give a gently caress in japan (no idea)

I know Dbry still does the flying head butt because he eats his own grown food or something and doesn't believe in concussions or something...

vvv maybe the smartest man he knows - Kane, could have told him about what happened to this Chris Benoit guy

Hirez fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 14, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hirez posted:

Has anyone used to the Crippler Crossface since the Benoit incident? I guess either for HEATTTTTTTT in 1time spots, or longterm heat... or like maybe they just dont give a gently caress in japan (no idea)

I know Dbry still does the flying head butt because he eats his own grown food or something and doesn't believe in concussions or something...

Bryan's LeBell Lock looks similar.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pretty sure The Great Khali used it once or twice.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Shawn Michaels and Triple H would use it occasionally after Benoit's death.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah pretty sure hbk was the first guy to start using it afterwards

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Crippler Crossface wasn’t ever really a Benoit finisher in Japan, he used a snap powerbomb (called the Wild Bomb) or the diving headbutt during his Pegasus Kid/Wild Pegasus years. And so, it’s more associated with Nagata, whose Nagata Locks II, III, and IV go from being the Crippler Crossface, a Double-Arm Crippler Crossface, and an Inverted Double-Arm Crippler Crossface, respectively. Jado also has used it for like the majority of his career. Taiji Ishimori also uses the Crippler, as well as the LeBell Lock and a non-leg vine Crossface called the Bone Lock where he instead traps a guy’s arm by his shoulder and sits further back when he applies the actual face hold, making it look like he’s going to pop the arm out of its socket at the same time with the pressure.

And then in WWE, yeah, the LeBell Lock and the Bank Statement are similar variants, while Cena, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, and CM Punk have all at one time or another used the exact same arm-trap Crossface that Benoit did in big matches as desperation spots since 2007. There was also a short period where MVP adopted it on the indies because Benoit helped him develop as a wrestler when no one else bothered in that early part of his WWE run when he was US champ.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

After watching You Are Cordially Invited, I would like to get to know more of the British Wrestling scene. I especially would like to know about Clementine, who in the video is the sunniest personality who is totally into violence. Mad Kurt is great too. Where do I start with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m1TAgds9A

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Cameo posted:

The Crippler Crossface wasn’t ever really a Benoit finisher in Japan, he used a snap powerbomb (called the Wild Bomb) or the diving headbutt during his Pegasus Kid/Wild Pegasus years. And so, it’s more associated with Nagata, whose Nagata Locks II, III, and IV go from being the Crippler Crossface, a Double-Arm Crippler Crossface, and an Inverted Double-Arm Crippler Crossface, respectively. Jado also has used it for like the majority of his career. Taiji Ishimori also uses the Crippler, as well as the LeBell Lock and a non-leg vine Crossface called the Bone Lock where he instead traps a guy’s arm by his shoulder and sits further back when he applies the actual face hold, making it look like he’s going to pop the arm out of its socket at the same time with the pressure.

And then in WWE, yeah, the LeBell Lock and the Bank Statement are similar variants, while Cena, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, and CM Punk have all at one time or another used the exact same arm-trap Crossface that Benoit did in big matches as desperation spots since 2007. There was also a short period where MVP adopted it on the indies because Benoit helped him develop as a wrestler when no one else bothered in that early part of his WWE run when he was US champ.

Benoit's powerbombs never seemed safe at all maybe they were but they look like they'd break someone's neck every time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They always did look like whiplash city for the poor bastard taking it, yeah.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I want to say one or two people in TNA did one-off crossfaces mere weeks after the incident, supposedly because they heard that WWE had "banned" the move and wanted to be edgy about it? Rick Steiner comes to mind but I could well be completely wrong.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I believe the word was that Michaels and Triple H wanted to "take it back," which is a little weird when you consider that the move wasn't really a thing before Malenko came up with it and "gifted" it to Benoit.

Sometimes I wonder if it would have had any kind of resurgence if more people knew that Benoit used his stupid loving pro wrestling finishing hold to kill his son.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

davidbix posted:

I believe the word was that Michaels and Triple H wanted to "take it back," which is a little weird when you consider that the move wasn't really a thing before Malenko came up with it and "gifted" it to Benoit.

Sometimes I wonder if it would have had any kind of resurgence if more people knew that Benoit used his stupid loving pro wrestling finishing hold to kill his son.

I was about to get pissed at you because there's no way that could be real but apparently it's likely. That's sickening.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

I was about to get pissed at you because there's no way that could be real but apparently it's likely. That's sickening.

the description in the coronors report of how he strangled his son was literally him using the crossface.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

the description in the coronors report of how he strangled his son was literally him using the crossface.

edit: nvm.

but yea it's bad and I never knew that thanks bix for the information.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'd heard it before but thought it had been debunked as myth. Did they bring that up on the Dark Side of the Ring specials?

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Hirez posted:

Anyone remember that PPV following Benoit's death where three wrestlers all used the crossface during their (three separate) matches? I'm almost certain HHH was one of them. It was like they were trying to reclaim it, I remember people here commenting on it at the time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Artelier posted:

After watching You Are Cordially Invited, I would like to get to know more of the British Wrestling scene. I especially would like to know about Clementine, who in the video is the sunniest personality who is totally into violence. Mad Kurt is great too. Where do I start with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m1TAgds9A

Because most of the British scene is an indie scene, you will find the same people cropping up in loads of different companies, so the best idea might be just to find a company you enjoy and watch through some of their back catalogue. The highest budget and highest audience ones are probably Rev Pro and Progress (although Progress has been hollowed out a bit as an unofficial WWE developmental). Rev Pro has the advantage of getting a lot of New Japan guys coming across too. Alternatively, find somewhere that consistently puts on a match type you like and follow them.

If you're already an IWTV subscriber, they have extensive back catalogues from Brighton based Riptide and Leicester based Wrestling Resurgence, both of whom put on good shows with a good sense of humour. Riptide in particular are known for shooting their matches in a more cinematic style, and I can heavily recommend a match from a couple of years back between Cara Noir and PAC, which gives an idea of their style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WswcvsHW8N4

As a final suggestion: watch as much Spike Trivet as you can. He's not the VERY best in the ring, but he understands character like nobody else in BritWres.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

response removed to avoid bad conversation. don't want to get on the bad side of Cerebral Bore

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 14, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't want to be a wet blanket or anything, but could we maybe move to discussing literally anything else other than the exact mechanics of child murder?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
OK, as you’re desperate for a change of subject, indulge me with a question I’m sure has been asked over and over.

On a total whim I signed up to NJPW World to watch Wrestle Kingdom live, without having seen a single minute of NJPW before, and I’m hooked. What are the matches I should absolutely make sure I watch while I’ve still got the subscription?

I’m about to watch the Omega/Okada series, which I’ve heard loads about of course, but apart from that I haven’t really got a clue.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Answers Me posted:

OK, as you’re desperate for a change of subject, indulge me with a question I’m sure has been asked over and over.

On a total whim I signed up to NJPW World to watch Wrestle Kingdom live, without having seen a single minute of NJPW before, and I’m hooked. What are the matches I should absolutely make sure I watch while I’ve still got the subscription?

I’m about to watch the Omega/Okada series, which I’ve heard loads about of course, but apart from that I haven’t really got a clue.

Vader v. Mutoh, 8/9/1991
Omega v. Naito, 8/13/2017
Tanahashi v. Suzuki, 10/8/2012

(assuming they're all available)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't want to be a wet blanket or anything, but could we maybe move to discussing literally anything else other than the exact mechanics of child murder?

Fair enough, but I'm sure most of us are less "I need to know exactly how this child was murdered!!" and more "okay, if that's true then I'm not sure if I can watch any match with that move ever again because that's horrific", mixed with there are all sorts of conflicting stories still floating around about what happened. Sorry for extending the conversation, I just have a thin ego and felt the need to defend myself a little bit for asking!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Answers Me posted:

A not at all crazy idea would be to watch all of Tomohiro Ishii's G1 tournament matches from 2019.

G1 day 2 (July 13): vs Jeff Cobb
G1 day 4 (July 15): vs Jay White
G1 day 6 (July 19): vs Jon Moxley
G1 day 8 (July 24): vs Tetsuya Naito
G1 day 10 (July 28): vs Juice Robinson
G1 day 12 (Aug 1): vs Hirooki Goto
G1 day 14 (Aug 4): vs Toru Yano
G1 day 16 (Aug 8): vs Shingo Takagi
G1 day 18 (Aug 11): vs Taichi

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

Vader v. Mutoh, 8/9/1991

This isn’t on New Japan World. Only version I’ve ever found was super low-res on DailyMotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvuaak

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honestly if you're up for a long haul on something it's not a terrible idea to just pick a tournament and watch the whole thing. The 2018 and 2019 G1s are generally regarded as being two of the best tournaments they ever did. 2019 has both the awesome Big Tam run that a cyborg mug talks about and some really excellent Jon Moxley matches.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

This isn’t on New Japan World. Only version I’ve ever found was super low-res on DailyMotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvuaak

blah. That's the best version I've ever seen, too (albeit back on VHS). I was holding out hope that they had a better one.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Answers Me posted:

This is a very big list of suggested matches for everything up to and including some of 2018. Anything in gold is, well, gold

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit?usp=sharing

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Answers Me posted:

The first year when the G1 Climax under Bushiroad NJPW became appointment viewing was 2013, esp. Night 4 (Aug 4, 2013).

bartok
May 10, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Honestly if you're up for a long haul on something it's not a terrible idea to just pick a tournament and watch the whole thing. The 2018 and 2019 G1s are generally regarded as being two of the best tournaments they ever did. 2019 has both the awesome Big Tam run that a cyborg mug talks about and some really excellent Jon Moxley matches.

I signed up for NJPW because of Moxley being in the G1. Ishii was great but the real standout for me was Lance Archer.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Archer had a breakout year that year the G1 kicked off in Dallas. I had really started enjoying KES toward the end of their tenure, but that run really opened my eyes to just how good Archer could be as a singles guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

Naito/Omega from the 2017 G1 finals.
Ibushi/Omega from the 2018 G1.
Ibushi/Tanahashi from the 2018 G1 finals.
Ibushi/Nakamura from WK9.
The Okada/Tanahashi WK series (WK7, WK9 and WK10).