Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like the idea of different armies and advanced tech, but they'd need to change how they are implemented. Just tie armies to whatever tech you researched/planet pop/ship size, so they aren't a separate thing you have to micro. Also let everyone have several different types of armies. Or again just rip off ES2's system. But drat it if I want to get EVA's as a psychic empire I should be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eimi posted:

But drat it if I want to get EVA's as a psychic empire I should be able to.

Expanded Stellaris Traditions includes the Mechanicum tree, which has "build fuckoff giant robots or mecha suits" as a first pick. It's available to spiritualist empires, too. Cybrex Warforms are just a bit below the giant robots from the tradition.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dareon posted:

Expanded Stellaris Traditions includes the Mechanicum tree, which has "build fuckoff giant robots or mecha suits" as a first pick. It's available to spiritualist empires, too. Cybrex Warforms are just a bit below the giant robots from the tradition.

Thank you.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Imo Orbital Bombardment could use a do-over, even Armageddon/Javorian Pox is anemic as hell until your fleets are capable of killing Leviathans.

Yeah, I made post-apocalyptic fanatical purifiers with the idea that I could terraform enemy planets with my navy but by the time my fleets were big enough to do that in a reasonable amount of time I really didn’t need it and it wasn’t worth losing out on all that unity. Would have been great in the early game though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I miss moo2s Orbital bombardment.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I miss moo2s Orbital bombardment.

DROP ALL

*Boom*

Problem solved.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
FInally managed tog et a Psionic race going. My Space Elves doing good, my Empress is now the Chosen One.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I threw together a spiritualist empire to make sure they got Mechanicum for my previous post, and decided to keep playing that start for shits and giggles, and it was a really good start. Zroni precursors, Horizon Signal started on initial entry into a nearby black hole system, Gargantua -> Pantagruel a few jumps away, Kandar The Living Planet (I don't know which mod added that or if it's DLC) also nearby and I made him into a 30-size Gaia world (With no mining districts) and moved my capital there to have all five of my planets in one sector, and an L-Gate, wormhole, normal Gateway, and artist enclave within striking distance.

I'm surrounded by Materialists, as tends to happen, but they average out at mild dislike because I'm running two different Machine Cult civics and they like my robots.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jng2058 posted:

DROP ALL

*Boom*

Problem solved.

Exactly.

So when does decidance kick in? Because this is my current situation

My little corner of the galaxy with my collectivist spider robots doesn't have much of a chance against that. I checked their planets and i don't see them having any penalties to production.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Seeing screenshots of late game Stellaris makes the game look like it’s an utter pain to keep going. Is that the case or does it still flow pretty well?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

chaosapiant posted:

Seeing screenshots of late game Stellaris makes the game look like it’s an utter pain to keep going. Is that the case or does it still flow pretty well?

Oh no, lategame hellwars are a pain in the rear end. Especially when they're total war.

I wouldn't recommend going over medium size maps at all if you're planning to play a game to the end, tbh.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

And depending on how you feel someone suggested .25 habitable and it really helps. Planet / pop micro is just so bad. Sacrifice any map setting that improves it, imo. Small / medium .25 hab planets. And it still gets clicky by 2300+

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a good guide on pop micro anywhere? The tutorial kinda glossed over it and I can’t make sense of that screen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do love how they're the peacekeepers

Can't have any wars if we control everything *points at forehead*

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly.

So when does decidance kick in? Because this is my current situation

My little corner of the galaxy with my collectivist spider robots doesn't have much of a chance against that.

What are your fleets like? With that sort of end game economy you should certainly be capable of putting up a fight.

But it starts 20 years after they awaken. https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Fallen_empire#Decadence

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a good guide on pop micro anywhere? The tutorial kinda glossed over it and I can’t make sense of that screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5m6gbEphs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PittTheElder posted:

What are your fleets like? With that sort of end game economy you should certainly be capable of putting up a fight.

But it starts 20 years after they awaken. https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Fallen_empire#Decadence

My fleets are around 75k each, but they're limited by how many ships i can have in one. I actually spent a bunch of time getting my admin cap higher and once I did, BOOM my economy exploded. I've also been colonizing as much as I can. I've been setting them to auto so i don't have to deal with them. Though I don't think it works very well as you can see how many have empty building slots.

The fallen empire really likes to crack worlds. I keep getting that notification.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

twistedmentat posted:

My fleets are around 75k each, but they're limited by how many ships i can have in one
You can have multiple fleets in one engagement

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

You can have multiple fleets in one engagement

Yeah just set them to follow the lead fleet and dogpile the enemy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And depending on how you feel someone suggested .25 habitable and it really helps. Planet / pop micro is just so bad. Sacrifice any map setting that improves it, imo. Small / medium .25 hab planets. And it still gets clicky by 2300+

I really can't recommend carrying capacity enough for this problem. Made the game playable for me.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I really can't recommend carrying capacity enough for this problem. Made the game playable for me.

Every time I read the mod description I cant get a good sense of how it changes things. Does it completely remove pop / job management? It seemed like it addressed pop growth.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Every time I read the mod description I cant get a good sense of how it changes things. Does it completely remove pop / job management? It seemed like it addressed pop growth.

It addresses pop growth. It makes the number of pops on the colony a multiplicative modifier on pop growth (ie an exponentially increasing rate), but the planet being more full up gives it an exponentially decreasing rate of growth.

So what happens is that when a planet is in its mid life pop growth is a bit faster than current (a lot faster on ring worlds) but as the planet develops this rate slows to a crawl, so on worlds that are essentially finished you don't have to keep going back to click on them all the time.

In the late game I also generally build 2-3 things at a time on a planet (because the upkeep and admin costs are minimal compared to the rest of the economy) and that works really well here, as planets where that's possible are also the planets that are growing fastest and similarly for the inverse.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It addresses pop growth. It makes the number of pops on the colony a multiplicative modifier on pop growth (ie an exponentially increasing rate), but the planet being more full up gives it an exponentially decreasing rate of growth.

So what happens is that when a planet is in its mid life pop growth is a bit faster than current (a lot faster on ring worlds) but as the planet develops this rate slows to a crawl, so on worlds that are essentially finished you don't have to keep going back to click on them all the time.

In the late game I also generally build 2-3 things at a time on a planet (because the upkeep and admin costs are minimal compared to the rest of the economy) and that works really well here, as planets where that's possible are also the planets that are growing fastest and similarly for the inverse.

That does sound a lot better / smoother than vanilla. Does that fix the issues of like getting alloys online which requires the whole minerals & energy thing but also generally involves specializing planets for it? Or building a bunch of labs, which means putting folks in there, which means shuffling other pops on other planets around for energy. That's the stuff I hate way more than growing planets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dev Diary up:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-196-redacted.1452177/

Good news (in my opinion): base system sounds fine if nothing revolutionary, looks like there's at least some ethics fuckery allowed, possibly revolts???
Probably bad news: They said the S word.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doesn't this create the incentive to shuffle pops around a lot more during early and mid game?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Splicer posted:

Dev Diary up:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-196-redacted.1452177/

Good news (in my opinion): base system sounds fine if nothing revolutionary, looks like there's at least some ethics fuckery allowed, possibly revolts???
Probably bad news: They said the S word.

sigh

AI sabotage spam incoming.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Can't wait for the constant

"My liege! Those crooked charlatans in the Blorg Commonality
have sown discontent among our population.
This will cause unrest in our country for years to come."

on cooldown.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

canepazzo posted:

Can't wait for the constant

"My liege! Those crooked charlatans in the Blorg Commonality
have sown discontent among our population.
This will cause unrest in our country for years to come."

on cooldown.

yyyup.

At least they finally buffed Psionics! They made them more resistant to spy bullshit than most :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hope it's not a hard cooldown, I'd prefer it cost spy mana.

I do like that they've made xenophile spy vulnerability opt in.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Yami Fenrir posted:

sigh

AI sabotage spam incoming.

They somewhat addresses this further downthread. Regarding assassinating leaders:

"No. Early on we had something like this in the list of possible operations, but part of the difficulty of espionage systems in general is that they have to still be fun when you're the one getting dogpiled by a dozen empires running them on you.

While there are some operations with (sometimes pretty big) negative effects, we were trying to be pretty careful with what they can do, while simultaneously make sure they're worth pursuing. I'll likely go into more of that next week when we talk about burning Assets."

So at least they're thinking about it. If they think correctly remains to be seen

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SirTagz posted:

Doesn't this create the incentive to shuffle pops around a lot more during early and mid game?

That's why I don't trust a lot of mods - if a paid professional couldn't get it right after a few attempts, what faith do I have that some random bored fan is going to make a better system with zero odd edge cases?

So for the Carrying Capacity mod, does the AI use it well? eg overbuilding housing to jack up growth? Is it optimal to still shuffle be shuffling in the early game, where growth is paramount? Are there any odd edge cases you'd like to comment on? For a hypothetical example that colonizing a new world might be slow, since there's no surplus pops and replenishing them after moving takes forever since you could only peel 1-2 per planet before deprecating buildings? Stuff like that. But mostly the first point, no point modding stuff if it's just handicapping the AI even more.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

That's why I don't trust a lot of mods - if a paid professional couldn't get it right after a few attempts, what faith do I have that some random bored fan is going to make a better system with zero odd edge cases?

oh that's pretty easy, it's because there's only a few paid professionals and a billion random bored fans, and you know the thing about infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Serephina posted:

So for the Carrying Capacity mod, does the AI use it well? eg overbuilding housing to jack up growth? Is it optimal to still shuffle be shuffling in the early game, where growth is paramount? Are there any odd edge cases you'd like to comment on? For a hypothetical example that colonizing a new world might be slow, since there's no surplus pops and replenishing them after moving takes forever since you could only peel 1-2 per planet before deprecating buildings? Stuff like that. But mostly the first point, no point modding stuff if it's just handicapping the AI even more.

Lol if you think modders can't do things better than devs tbh. Especially in this game. There are some amazing mods out there like Gigastructures, guilli's planet mods, etc.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Serephina posted:

So for the Carrying Capacity mod, does the AI use it well?

There aren't really any actions you need to take to "use it well", so yeah. Growth takes care of itself and once planets fill up they get an emigration bonus that goes to your newer planets.

quote:

eg overbuilding housing to jack up growth?

This is a bad idea. An empty district slot is worth 10 points of carrying capacity, while a city district is worth 8. If you're filling your planets up with city districts to try and game the mod, you're giving yourself a penalty.

quote:

Is it optimal to still shuffle be shuffling in the early game, where growth is paramount?

No, because the mod removes the growth penalty for new colonies.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lol if you think modders can't do things better than devs tbh. Especially in this game. There are some amazing mods out there like Gigastructures, guilli's planet mods, etc.

Yep. This game has some amazing no-downside mods that I simply would not play without, and I'm still puzzled as to why they haven't been merged with the base game. Stuff like Tiny Outliner and Tiny Fleets, for example, are just obvious UI upgrades.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 14, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

As long as I don't have to manually go around fixing things caused by enemy spies it can't be too bad, hopefully. I'd rather deal with all mining stations in one system shut down for a year than having to order a construction ship to rebuild one.

Assassinating leaders would be a total dealbreaker for me. It's already enough of a pain to spend thousands of energy rerolling scientists and admirals to get a trait I want. Sometimes just getting a physics researcher with an actual physics related trait is stupidly difficult. Wanting a specific trait is just lol good luck with that.

Gort posted:

Yep. This game has some amazing no-downside mods that I simply would not play without, and I'm still puzzled as to why they haven't been merged with the base game. Stuff like Tiny Outliner and Tiny Fleets, for example, are just obvious UI upgrades.
Absolutely! The default crap just wastes a ton of space for no reason.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 14, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gort posted:

There aren't really any actions you need to take to "use it well", so yeah. Growth takes care of itself and once planets fill up they get an emigration bonus that goes to your newer planets.

This is a bad idea. An empty district slot is worth 10 points of carrying capacity, while a city district is worth 8. If you're filling your planets up with city districts to try and game the mod, you're giving yourself a penalty.

No, because the mod removes the growth penalty for new colonies.

The UI one even being necessary is mindboggling.

I'm particularly fond of the early gigastructures, too. Like having space labs just makes sense, or using space... for like storage. Like, you literally have untold billions of kilometers as space, why the hell is storage a problem in the first place???

Or all of the planet reviving gigastructures like the atmospheric purifiers. If I want to pay huge amounts of resources to revive planets, why not let me? Why does like 99% of space have to be worthless?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SirTagz posted:

In the specific case of moving pops to a newly colonised world, less so that currently - moving 8 pops to a new planet gives you +50% growth rate, rather than (1.05^8) -> 47.7%, but that's not even accounting for the fact that pop growth will be faster anyway in the second regime meaning that the proportional difference in time to nth pop is lower anyway.

In general (eg to a newly colonised ring world)? Possibly, a lot depends on how many pops you have, what worlds you're talking about, the cost of resettling, etc. It's not super obvious from some initial calculations, which probably means it's a bad deal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SirTagz posted:

no, not really. the benefit per pop is so marginal that it wouldn't be worth the resettlement cost until late game. late game, yeah, any new planets would ideally be seeded with 20-30ish pops from your full planets, but at that point who cares you're probably winning anyway.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the specific case of moving pops to a newly colonised world, less so that currently - moving 8 pops to a new planet gives you +50% growth rate, rather than (1.05^8) -> 47.7%, but that's not even accounting for the fact that pop growth will be faster anyway in the second regime meaning that the proportional difference in time to nth pop is lower anyway.

In general (eg to a newly colonised ring world)? Possibly, a lot depends on how many pops you have, what worlds you're talking about, the cost of resettling, etc. It's not super obvious from some initial calculations, which probably means it's a bad deal.

I am not quite clear how it would work if I have 2 planets - one is completely full or close to it and the other a new colony. By the diminishing growth curve, I get that the big planet stops growing. The small planet grows slowly because it has not hit the exponential curve that well yet.

It would seem that moving some pops from the big world to the small one so that the big one would be at optimal exponential growth, is the best strategy.

UNLESS the emigration stuff takes care of that - but I did not quite get how emigration works in this situation.. does all the exponential mega growth on the big planet just translate directly to emigration and the small planet will get all the growth that otherwise would have gone to the big one?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SirTagz posted:

I am not quite clear how it would work if I have 2 planets - one is completely full or close to it and the other a new colony. By the diminishing growth curve, I get that the big planet stops growing. The small planet grows slowly because it has not hit the exponential curve that well yet.

It would seem that moving some pops from the big world to the small one so that the big one would be at optimal exponential growth, is the best strategy.

UNLESS the emigration stuff takes care of that - but I did not quite get how emigration works in this situation.. does all the exponential mega growth on the big planet just translate directly to emigration and the small planet will get all the growth that otherwise would have gone to the big one?

I mean if you somehow have only 2 planets, yes.

But if that's happening something has gone terrible wrong.

The point is, that with carrying cap that kind of micro will only matter by a point where you won anyway. Or have Greater than Ourselves available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phosphine posted:

They somewhat addresses this further downthread. Regarding assassinating leaders:

"No. Early on we had something like this in the list of possible operations, but part of the difficulty of espionage systems in general is that they have to still be fun when you're the one getting dogpiled by a dozen empires running them on you.

While there are some operations with (sometimes pretty big) negative effects, we were trying to be pretty careful with what they can do, while simultaneously make sure they're worth pursuing. I'll likely go into more of that next week when we talk about burning Assets."

So at least they're thinking about it. If they think correctly remains to be seen
It sounds like the non-sabotage stuff will be easily repeatable while the sabotage stuff is big jobs that require burnable, empire specific resources. Which is pretty much what I wanted in theory so fingers crossed on the implementation.

Also in theory you could have it that two empires targeting one empire just split the assets between them so even if half the empire is on your back you'll see the same max sabotage as if it was just one rear end in a top hat