Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This stupid loving constitution hasn't gotten a major patch since release and everyone's already finished all the endgame content

It's had 17 minor patches, most of them bullshit fixes to previous patches that they screwed up in the first place. I'm not counting the first 10 patches because that's all day-zero stuff.

Sadly I'm not so sure if I trust the dumbass developers to put in a major patch at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

It'll have some hefty competition for sure, wizard101 just outright lists various famous people as being wizards even though this is in no way canon in-game because reasons.

Oh. Huh. Ok so the wizard101 website used to have a hilarious description for each of its schools of magic where it'd list random famous people and I guess when they finally did their first graphics overhaul some months back they must've updated that page so it doesn't have any of it now. Gotta use the wayback machine to find the stuff.

Gotta go make dinner but I'll post the less funny updated ones later.

Still the best

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We just wanna have a good time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQAbQ1hJZw

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I know there's a million of the DK Rap remix videos of varying quality but by a million miles the best one I've ever heard is the DK Rap with no changed instrumentals, but the vocal is a PERFECT imitation of the original song and it's singing The Only Thing I Know For Real

I CANNOT find it anymore and I look like once a week

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I vaguely remember when Nintendo suddenly took this huge turn in their advertising in order to better compete with Sega in the cool department. I wonder if it worked out for them?

Edit: Was it in response for people heckling them about the changes to Mortal Kombat? I can’t remember the timing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It really is a charming game. I think the sequel is better in many ways but the first one felt more open at times. The sequel has a lot of neat stuff going on with it in terms of mechanics and the different worlds you visit and the overall plot. I haven't beaten Final Fantasy Legend 3 though and that game is a bit more restricting in some ways with your characters since you only ever get 2 humans and 2 espers and then you feed them meat to turn them into monster/human hybrids or more meat to make them fully into monsters or shove robot parts on them to make them into a cyborg or keep shoving robot parts into them until they're just a robot. It also has a bunch of time travel shenanigans with you going around collecting parts for your time machine in order to further open up different areas.

As far as FFL1 though, are you familiar with the saw?

Yeah, one of those weird bits of gaming ephemera that I've read about somewhere in the past despite never having played it.
Insta-kill agility weapon with a broken calculation for the instant death effect that means you can use it on the final boss, yeah?

Of my two humans I've been pumping agility on one and having them use agility/ranged weapons and strength on the other so if I decide the final boss is too hard to beat legit it's in the back of my mind as a "press button to finish game" solution.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Propaganda Hour posted:

My library lets me "check out" ebooks for free with an app and it kicks rear end.

Mine does the same thing and since I found out about it last July I've read *checks loan history*

All 17 Dresden File novels + 2 side story compilations
All 10 Black Company novels
4 Dune novels, working on the 5th
The first Codex Alera novel
and Good Omens

Plus I have Hitchhiker's Guide on hold, so I'll be able to start chipping away at that in about a month.

Books are rad as hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I heard a new Black Company novel was released last year (a prequel), did you read it and if so was it any good? The last Dread Empire one was pretty bad, stolen manuscripts or no

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RBA Starblade posted:

I heard a new Black Company novel was released last year (a prequel), did you read it and if so was it any good? The last Dread Empire one was pretty bad, stolen manuscripts or no

That one wasn't on the app, sadly, so I have to find another place to read that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

somethings been on my mind for awhile... those chocolate plaques they put on the Fancy birthday cakes... how hosed up would it have been if i hypothetically used one as a knife to cut a slice off of someones birthday cake late at night, but it shattered in my hands in the process. if that had happened, several years ago in someones basement, would that have been a cake sin and would i be warranted in feeling guilty about it years later

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sitting down in the confessional booth in the back of the cake boss' store, forgive me cake father for i have sinned

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

sitting down in the confessional booth in the back of the cake boss' store, forgive me cake father for i have sinned

Cake boss got his hand impaled by his own private bowling alley pinsetter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Cake boss got his hand impaled by his own private bowling alley pinsetter.
thats called stigmata, actually

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

Yeah, one of those weird bits of gaming ephemera that I've read about somewhere in the past despite never having played it.
Insta-kill agility weapon with a broken calculation for the instant death effect that means you can use it on the final boss, yeah?

Of my two humans I've been pumping agility on one and having them use agility/ranged weapons and strength on the other so if I decide the final boss is too hard to beat legit it's in the back of my mind as a "press button to finish game" solution.

Yeah, it's something like the game was supposed to have it be an instant win weapon for enemies weaker than you but the calculation ended up working in reverse so it worked on enemies stronger than you, bosses included, and iirc they kept the glitch in later releases and referenced it a few times.

Even the jojo fangame had a cute reference to it where one of the optional fights is against the final boss of FFL1 and you can kill them instantly if you've found the arm of Kars item, because Kars is a dude who had chainsaw bone blades in his arms and legs.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Just got my first party wipe climbing the tower from World 2 up towards World 3! Turns out that no matter how heavy hitting your party is Medusas do not gently caress around and will gladly petrify your whole party (the Stone effect persists after battle, too!).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

homeless snail posted:

somethings been on my mind for awhile... those chocolate plaques they put on the Fancy birthday cakes... how hosed up would it have been if i hypothetically used one as a knife to cut a slice off of someones birthday cake late at night, but it shattered in my hands in the process. if that had happened, several years ago in someones basement, would that have been a cake sin and would i be warranted in feeling guilty about it years later

It depends, what kinda cake are we talking here?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

exquisite tea posted:

The Dota character or the anime.

Always the anime

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is Horizon Zero Dawn anything like a Ubisoft collectathon? It looks cool, but I can't stand map marker games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

anatomi posted:

Is Horizon Zero Dawn anything like a Ubisoft collectathon? It looks cool, but I can't stand map marker games.

It's got a map with icons and points of interest, some of which are collectible, but it's a lot more compact than a standard Ubisoft game. Most of the markers are like "this is the type of machine that roams here" instead of "you must collect this thing."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking about playing Chocobo Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy after I got recommended the Tim Rogers video from Kotaku

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

exquisite tea posted:

It's got a map with icons and points of interest, some of which are collectible, but it's a lot more compact than a standard Ubisoft game. Most of the markers are like "this is the type of machine that roams here" instead of "you must collect this thing."

My sandbox does it like this, while the other one does it like this!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, through the power of human language anything can seem like anything if you describe it vaguely enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I vaguely remember when Nintendo suddenly took this huge turn in their advertising in order to better compete with Sega in the cool department. I wonder if it worked out for them?

Edit: Was it in response for people heckling them about the changes to Mortal Kombat? I can’t remember the timing.

Considering Sega never even broke even with Nintendo in the markets these ads played and then stopped making consoles I have to assume it worked out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
On the topic of advertising I became aware of this amazing visual the other day

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oops all OSTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVREB6fdvI

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Considering Sega never even broke even with Nintendo in the markets these ads played and then stopped making consoles I have to assume it worked out.

japan??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

japan??

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I just got done watching Jacob Geller's essay The Shape of Infinity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5Ogh_c0Ig.
It's games-adjacent in that it features some discussion of the spaces in Manifold Garden but mostly just as part of a much wider ranging discussion on the nature of infinity and a few ways that artists have tried to conceptualise it.

If you haven't seen any of Jacob's work before he does generally 15-30 minute video essays exploring topics through the lens of specific games, generally related to architecture and the use of space which is clearly a passion for him; the first thing I ever saw of his was his video "Control, Anatomy and the Legacy of the Haunted House" which I thought was fantastic and I find him engaging even when he's discussing games I haven't played and don't have much of a frame of reference for and topics I know very little about.

I highly recommend watching this one, I thought it was wonderful.

As a bonus, I didn't realise Susanna Clarke had written another book and I utterly adored Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I also wasn't familiar with Piranesi's work and definitely want to dive into that in more depth later.

As a malus, the lego clock someone built on their dining room table that could be extended to not complete a full rotation within the timeframe of the heat death of the universe with the addition of a single cog is giving me something of an existential crisis. I also wasn't familiar with Roman Opalka's life work and although it might be that I was in a fragile state from the existential dread of the lego clock, the paintings and his processions of photos made me start crying.

When I do eventually go to bed, I think I'm going to spend an hour or two staring at the ceiling before I sleep.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the mega drive outsold the snes in europe and was either within touching distance or slightly ahead in t he US depending on what figures you look at, with it completely blowing the snes away for a large part of its lifespan. it was japan both buying a lot of snes' and the megadrive doing insanely badly there that put the snes ahead. they only stopped making consoles bcos their next 2 were complete failures, the genesis completely undid nintendo's lead and would be more notable if it wasnt for the ps1 outdoing that by a ridiculous amount in the next generation.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
New Pokémon Snap out in April. Interesting

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Alright, thanks. Think I'll give it a shot.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm at the Shadow Beat gate in the Forbidden Woods. This is the edge before poo poo really starts going off, right?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm at the Shadow Beat gate in the Forbidden Woods. This is the edge before poo poo really starts going off, right?

:D :D :D :D

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

More like “delayed thrice upon a time”

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1349683075655974912?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is this an entirely new sequel or what is it about? The TV show kinda wrapped everything up perfectly, not really sure why this show keeps getting new movies for it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Just release it on Blu-ray

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hatty posted:

Just release it on Blu-ray

Blu-Rei

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Is this an entirely new sequel or what is it about? The TV show kinda wrapped everything up perfectly, not really sure why this show keeps getting new movies for it.

this is the fourth remake movie

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've yet to see any of the rebuilds. It's a prickly show to re-live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what it was like to watch Evangelion on broadcast TV for the first time