Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We made it through 2020, and for the first month of the year it looks like we get some extra time to sort through games we haven't finished yet, and take screenshots of glitchy T-Pose characters in Cyberpunk 2020. There is nothing on here that I want personally, but February is going to loving hurt for game releases.

January 2021 video game releases
Iron Conflict [PC] – January 8, 2021
King Arthur: Knight's Tale [PC] – January 12, 2021
MXGP 2020 [PS5] – January 14, 2021
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - Complete Edition [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch, Stadia] – January 14, 2021
Hitman 3 [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, Stadia] – January 20, 2021
Ride 4 [PS5, XSX] – January 21, 2021
Cyber Shadow [PS4, XB1, Switch, PC] - January 26, 2021
Encodya [PC] – January 26, 2021
Stronghold: Warlords [PC] – January 26, 2021
Ryte: The Eye of Atlantis [PC VR] – January 27, 2021
The Medium [PC, XSX] – January 28, 2021
Everspace 2 [PC] – January TBC, 2021
The Pedestrian [PS4] – January TBC, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hey if you play hitman with the help on they should call it "hintman" haha anyway happy new year folks :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

hey if you play hitman with the help on they should call it "hintman" haha anyway happy new year folks :)

Ooh right I forgot Hitman 3 and its right there on the list. :cripes: I am buying that for sure.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Gamer Resolution: Recognize the value of games I played.

I may never play 3 Houses again despite paying for the overpriced DLC, but I still got $0.29/hr out of an $85 purchase and that's a great value.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

What the hell is this Cybet Shadow?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Walla posted:

What the hell is this Cybet Shadow?

NES Ninja Gaiden inspired 2d side scroller.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sweet, Hitman 2's Gold edition finally had a price drop on the PS Store. Gonna pick that up in a couple of weeks.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

It's still 2020 here I'm just posting in this thread to feed the fantasy of the hellyear being over with already.

2021 is gonna be a backlog year for me. I have a pile of point and click adventures, indie games, and other small experiences for a fun variety of experiences. And also, um, Witcher 3. But GENERALLY I want to get away from the cycle of titanic rpgs that dominated 2020 for me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's still december

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

it's still december

i don't care i'm a rebel

i've gone renegade

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looper posted:

it's still december

Honestly disgusting to allow this thread to exist tbh

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's January in Australia.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

it's 5 o'clock somewhere am i right

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still have another six months of working from home minimum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhVrRgs9mng&t=3127s

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rip tane

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

gently caress I forgot about Scott Pilgrim

Not only will I have to beat two games from my backlog but I will also have to donate $15 to my local women’s shelter because Ubisoft

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I am from the far flung future of 2021, and I can tell you that Bowsette is somehow even hornier.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Infinitum posted:

Hello I am from the far flung future of 2021, and I can tell you that Bowsette is somehow even hornier.

Let's hope not

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would like to remind people that there are posters in 2021 now and I ask that we respect their superior choice in time zones. Thank you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Most hype game of January is the monster hunter rise demo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't believe they put Rise Kujikawa in Monster Hunter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

:coolbird:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got the platinum trophy in the Demon's Souls remake and now I am ready for a break from Souls games for a while

Officially my second platinum ever, though my girlfriend also got the plat for Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight yesterday on my account so there are three there now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My first gamer goal of the new year is to get top 100 in the ocarina of time rando tournament qualifiers, this qualifying for the runner up tournament and getting something exciting to scrub out of instantly

After the tournament I'm gonna finally go through the effort to homebrew my wii and get set up to play on that, instead of trying to play an N64 game with a dualshock controller on emulator lol. Thinking of trying out proper oot speedruns for a bit while I adjust, so I can get used to the controller without being mad at how badly I suck during the transition, since I'll be sucking for so many reasons other than the controller at first

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I just beat Hades for the first time so :coolbird:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

rip tane

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I just beat Hades for the first time so :coolbird:

:coolbird: :toot: :coolbird:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I haven't even played the dlc maps for hitman 2 yet....

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I only beat Hades once and it was before the game was done but also the last major content patch before release AFAIK. Should I ever beat it again? Having already done so once mostly through an extremely lucky build and easy weapon, I feel I have mastered the game to a tremendous degree, far beyond that of any mortal gamer but I was hoping for some closure or an ending cinematic instead of the placeholder my incredible true and final victory earned me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I only beat Hades once and it was before the game was done but also the last major content patch before release AFAIK. Should I ever beat it again? Having already done so once mostly through an extremely lucky build and easy weapon, I feel I have mastered the game to a tremendous degree, far beyond that of any mortal gamer but I was hoping for some closure or an ending cinematic instead of the placeholder my incredible true and final victory earned me.

There's a lot more story in the finished version. You get more story each time you clear, and after your 10th clear there's a big plot resolution and the credits roll, but there's some postgame story as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

best emote of 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

I haven't even played the dlc maps for hitman 2 yet....

They are good but extremely hard!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
alright FINE whatever. since i'm unlikely to finish mega man x3 or hades today, here's the tentative early access list of everything i finished this year, in chronological order (bold means goty top ten). please feel free to keep scrolling

Donkey Kong Country (GBA) -- i've played the heck out of this trilogy and felt like playing them again, so why not mix things up and play the gba versions?? they're serviceable ports with some truly awful new graphics
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue (GBA)
Mega Man Battle Network (GBA) -- this was the only battle network game i played as a kid, and i never finished because a lategame quest requires you to get a lot of cards and i was young and bad at the battle system
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Gamecube) -- jk rowling loving sucks but the gamecube/ps2 and gbc harry potter games are pretty fun
Mega Man Battle Network 2 (GBA)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3: and Knuckles (Genesis) [replay]
Sonic Adventure DX (Gamecube) -- only ever played the dreamcast version, and this one seems...worse somehow? the graphics are a bit off and there were collision problems i don't remember from the original
Pokemon Sword (switch) -- wooloo was my starter
Nier Automata (PS4) [replay]
Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear) -- shockingly good!
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (switch) [Black Eagles route] -- as much as i want to see other routes, this is a tough game to replay
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (game gear) -- shockingly bad!! the sonic game gear games run the gamut from surprisingly good to worst in series
Sonic Blast (game gear) -- hideous graphics but otherwise fun
Sonic Chaos (game gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble (game gear)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA) -- while the graphics as true to the original as the gba can get, for some reason this one got an entirely new (and largely ill-fitting) soundtrack
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch) -- not being able to move while firing eggs is disappointing, but this is a gorgeous and creative game otherwise
Pokemon Colosseum (Gamecube) -- gimme another doubles-focused game
Halo (PC) -- i don't like shooters in general and this did absolutely nothing to change that
Awful Emblem Act 1 demo (GBA rom hack) -- extremely good rom hack here
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4)
Joe and Mac 2 (SNES) -- never finished this as a child, even in co-op, because of the dang final boss. thank you snesflix for letting me easily practice until he was a breeze
Outer Wilds (PS4)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) -- i didn't like this on the wii but wanted to give it another shot with better controls. there's a lot of cool elements at work here but it's still pretty meh overall
Fire Emblem: The Road to Ruin (GBA rom hack) -- less good rom hack but still enjoyable with some fun mechanical twists
Abzu (PS4)
Halo 2 (PC) -- definitely like the arbiter waaay more than master chief
Gato Roboto (Switch) -- cute but nothing remarkable
Wishing Sarah (PC)
Bomberman Jetters (Gamecube) -- a disappointing end to a subseries of games i'm quite fond of
Far From Noise (PC)
Ring Ring (PC)
Water's Fine (PC) -- the highlight of what few itch bundle games i played
Nonsense at Nightfall (PC)
Halo Reach (PC) -- the least bad halo, imo. the final mission is really cool
Trials of Mana (Switch) -- never played the original but this is a delightful modernization of a snes game that is still able to feel like a snes game (in a good way!)
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (gamecube) [replay]
Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain (PS4) [true end] -- i am not ashamed of my words and deeds
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4) -- a kickstarter success story
Spyro the Dragon (PS4) -- i played a bit of the original but never got past the second world. this is a solid start to a beloved series
Sonic Heroes (Gamecube) [replay] -- TEAM CHAOTIX THEY'RE DETECTIVES
Sonic Advance (gba) [replay]
Spyro the Dragon 2 (PS4) -- this on the other hand is a sharp swerve into a bunch of 3d platformer/collectathon staples that i don't feel really brought anything good to the table
Terraria [Master mode] (PC) -- heard they nerfed the flying pirate ship and that's hosed
Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (PS4)
Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)
Super Mario Bros. (SNES) -- despite several attempts i never actually sat down and finished this until now. and it's good! simple but good
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (Switch) -- my gf and i have a pact to (very slowly) watch all of naruto. the ultimate ninja storm games are a fun way to mix things up
Spyro the Dragon 3 (PS4) -- much better than 2, though i still prefer the simplicity and whimsy of 1
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES) -- same story as the first. this game is remarkable and still holds up
Sonic Battle (GBA) -- this game has some significant flaws but on the whole is pretty cool
Super Mario World (SNES) [replay]
SMW - Peach's Adventure demo (SNES rom hack) -- an excellent rom hack
SMW - Captain Barry's Treasure (SNES rom hack)
SMW - Kola Kingdom Quest (SNES rom hack)
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) -- i respect the adherence to some of the worst maps in the series, and it's a testament to how good every other element of this game is that it's still great despite those silly maps
SMW - Luigi and the Island of Mystery (SNES rom hack)
Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
SMW - A Halloween Walk (SNES rom hack)
SMW - Halloween in the Mushroom Kingdom (SNES rom hack)
SMW - Il Maniero Spettrale (SNES rom hack) -- most of the halloween hacks i played were pretty banal but this one owns
SMW - Shrine of Eternal Ice (SNES rom hack)
SMW - Mario Wakes Up (SNES rom hack)
Doom [2016] (PS4) -- while much more fun to play than halo, i still wasn't super into this
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) -- it's good
SMW - Other World (SNES rom hack)
Kirby's Halloween Adventure (NES rom hack)
SMW - Adventure demo (SNES rom hack) -- unfortunately most of the best rom hacks i played this year are just demos
Prey (PS4) -- the first half was fantastic, second half was a steady decrescendo
Firewatch (Switch) -- awful characters, lovely environment. shoutout to the bizarre and well hidden banjo kazooie minigames in the free roam mode
Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4) -- the police station is an incredible game area, i just wish there were more significant differences between the two protagonists
Echo Night (PS1) -- from makes a game about helping ghosts by diving into memories, and though it plays as clunkily as all of their old stuff, it's still good
Shadow the Hedgehog (Gamecube) -- there's some alright game here buried under some questionable decisions
Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)
Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U) -- high off of origami king, i decided to revisit this after getting fed up with it years ago. it's still unenjoyable to play
Sonic Rush (DS) -- this game's level design isn't very good but blaze the cat owns
Halo 3 (PC) -- aka halo 2 part 2. meh
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4)
Halo 3: ODST (PC) -- i really dig the moody city and the idea of finding clues about your squadmates, but said squad turned out to be incredibly unlikable!
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) -- an adorable revitalization of one of my old favorites
Sonic Rivals (PSP)
Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) -- very disappointing after 0, but i hear kiwami 2 is quite good
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) -- MAKE BELIEVES REBORN
Mega Man X (SNES) -- a posting pal started playing these and i like the zero games, so i figured why not. the dash upgrade potentially being one of the last things you find is terrible, but otherwise this is a good time
Mega Man X2 (SNES) -- shoutout to zero's head sitting in my inventory, forever

tldr, working from home means lots of time for games

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Posting in this thread before I'm :toxx: banned at midnight EST

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

I got the platinum trophy in the Demon's Souls remake and now I am ready for a break from Souls games for a while

Officially my second platinum ever, though my girlfriend also got the plat for Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight yesterday on my account so there are three there now

Are the cheeves the same as in the original ie do you still have to get lucky with a bladestone drop? I got plat on ps3 and I only went for it because I happened to get a bladestone without trying :hehe:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Since it's not January where I am yet you have about a half a day to prepare, but once everyone has ticked over you will all be in my birthday month in which you are required to be nice to me and compliment my posts. Sorry if that seems unreasonable, I don't make the rules

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Are the cheeves the same as in the original ie do you still have to get lucky with a bladestone drop? I got plat on ps3 and I only went for it because I happened to get a bladestone without trying :hehe:

The trophies are different from the original and you no longer have to do the "upgrade a weapon to max in each upgrade path" thing.

But then Bluepoint still made it so you need Pure Bladestone because they are full of hate and loathe humanity. Now there's a "get all the rings" trophy and to get one of the new rings added in the remake you have to trade Pure Bladestone with Sparkly the Crow :v:

They did apparently fix an issue that caused Pure Bladestone to have an even lower than intended drop rate in the original but it still took me like two hours of farming to get one.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Relax Or DIE posted:

Since it's not January where I am yet you have about a half a day to prepare, but once everyone has ticked over you will all be in my birthday month in which you are required to be nice to me and compliment my posts. Sorry if that seems unreasonable, I don't make the rules

Post your birthday. Mine's the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this is the fake chat thread