Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

You know, I didn't see too much discussion on this. A couple of people who laughed at other departments or whatever, but it didn't seem like a very significant event.

Extreme got some real bad press today, seeing as they had 3ish years notice of the kill-switch date and STILL didn't manage to move a lot of their management UI off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

The nerd references have a very ready player one vibe to them

In ready player one Cory Doctorow is the president of the vr user organization

together with wil wheaton

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

evobatman posted:

In ready player one Cory Doctorow is the president of the vr user organization

together with wil wheaton

I grew up more sheltered from tech and pop culture than most of this thread and somehow have no idea who Cory Doctorow is but I already hate him.

e: the references to Flickr and Live Journal made me laugh though. When's the last time anyone thought about Flickr?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You'd think "sharing photos online, in an album format with captions and neat organization" would have been one of the runaway features of the internet, but now just nobody even does it

If they're going to send their family holiday photos it's all just Facebook

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Imgur does it too, but the UI was less resource intensive. Also barely anyone uses that feature.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I have a book printed, either with google photos or shutterfly

1-click photo book printing is pretty killer if you think about it

Literally no-one looks at albums online.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got my mom a Nixplay picture frame and I have it linked to a Google Photos album that I can throw photos in and have them automatically upload to it. She likes that. We live far apart and don't see each other often, so it's a good way to share stuff with her.

Of course she also started taking pictures from local Facebook photographers, pictures around her area, and adding those to it. But hey, I'm just happy she's enjoying it and actually took a moment to learn how to add her own photos.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Weedle posted:

cory doctorow tricked a lot of young nerds in the early 2000s into reading his crummy books by releasing them as free epubs. i read a bunch of his novels on my palm pilot in middle school and boy were they bad!!! holy poo poo!!!!!!
Same, I remember hearing about Doctorow as a great writer all over the nerdier parts of the internet so I downloaded Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom and read it on my Palm m100 on the bus. Even as a high school sophomore I was unimpressed and never bothered with another one of his titles.

Data Graham posted:

You'd think "sharing photos online, in an album format with captions and neat organization" would have been one of the runaway features of the internet, but now just nobody even does it

The demand is there, but no one wants to pay for it, so you either get sites like Flickr and Photobucket constantly putting more and more limits on what you can do with a free account to the point of being unusable or you get something like Facebook where you are the product being monetized.

Every free image hosting platform follows the same trajectory. They get popular, then they need to figure out a way to pay the bills, then they get lovely and die off to be replaced by the next one leaving millions of broken forum posts in their wake.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

seems like most people nowadays just share photos directly via imessage or whatsapp or something. unless you're over 80 in which case you take a photograph of the computer screen you're viewing the photo on and then text your granddaughter for help emailing it

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Weedle posted:

seems like most people nowadays just share photos directly via imessage or whatsapp or something. unless you're over 80 in which case you take a photograph of the computer screen you're viewing the photo on and then text your granddaughter for help emailing it

Trying to assist my FIL getting his laptop back online after their wifi poo poo the bed for a bit via text.

Me: Send me a picture of the bottom right of the screen (where the WiFi indicator should be).
<time passes>

Text from my MIL: A picture of my FIL's phone screen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Trying to assist my FIL getting his laptop back online after their wifi poo poo the bed for a bit via text.

Me: Send me a picture of the bottom right of the screen (where the WiFi indicator should be).
<time passes>

Text from my MIL: A picture of my FIL's phone screen.

Things like these is why I endlessly appreciate technical writers.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Things like these is why I endlessly appreciate technical writers.

I've often considered starting a company that buys poo poo that everyone gets from China and selling it at a premium in the US with the main value add being a user manual that actually makes sense.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've often considered starting a company that buys poo poo that everyone gets from China and selling it at a premium in the US with the main value add being a user manual that actually makes sense.

Nobody would read them anyway though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I'm glad I gave up trying to read Doctorow fiction a decade ago

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'd never even heard of him despite being in this career since 1997 effectively.

I couldn't get past a few paragraphs of that story. Nothing against people who like it, but I cannot understand the appeal. It's no tingler.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
We're in the process of switching telephone providers and as a part of that users need to let me know when it's okay to start the switch-over so I can start the porting. Then, when they lose network service, they need to change the sim card in their phone. I sent an email explaining the process to all users last week.

Today, a user contacted me:

:cry: I switched the sim cards but I don't have reception. It doesn't work and I really need my phone for work!
:) As I explained in my email you need to let me know first so I can start the process, and only when you loose network with your old sim should you switch them over.
:cry: Oh, I haven't read your email yet.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The same user just contacted me again with things I explained in the original mail mentioned above, and our direct mails on this subject yesterday. I advised him to read his emails.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

sixth and maimed posted:

The same user just contacted me again with things I explained in the original mail mentioned above, and our direct mails on this subject yesterday. I advised him to read his emails.

I've figured out basically no one in my company reads emails from IT.

I don't send many and I have always made it a point to keep them short and understandable. But alas my efforts appear to have been in vain.

A couple years ago we moved our servers to a different location. For those setup for WFH, this meant a change to the domain name their VPN client connected to. I sent very clear step by step directions with screenshots to this group once a week over a 3 week period. And then 2 days before the switchover I sent another reminder.

The morning of, more than 75% of them called in a panic because they hadn't bothered to read any of the sent emails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

I don't send many and I have always made it a point to keep them short and understandable. But alas my efforts appear to have been in vain.

A couple years ago we moved our servers to a different location. For those setup for WFH, this meant a change to the domain name their VPN client connected to. I sent very clear step by step directions with screenshots to this group once a week over a 3 week period. And then 2 days before the switchover I sent another reminder.

The morning of, more than 75% of them called in a panic because they hadn't bothered to read any of the sent emails.

"I can't get into Citrix"

Logs on to user's PC. Opens Outlook. First email is 'REMINDER: DOWNTIME TODAY AT 8:00PM....services affected are citrix, print server..."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sixth and maimed posted:

"If I am uncooperative enough, they'll find a workaround for me"

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

stevewm posted:

Nobody reads emails from IT, ever. Our office is closed down this week since it's less than a block from the state capitol and despite our sending out an announcement that we wouldn't be answering the helldesk phones, people are still calling in and leaving messages.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gotta send out IT announcements via snapchat or some poo poo

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
People don't listen to the message either. My previous employer's phone number was the same as the number for a delivery company, but in a different area code. Security company is in the capital, delivery vompany hslfway accross the country. Since mobile phone networks are each treated as their own area code, and people delivered stuff cross-border prior to brexit, that meant people would end up having three different ways to pick the wrong area code and be very angry at us for not knowing where their parcel is.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
At this point doing telegram bots messages are likely to get more eyes than email.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work a few blocks from the state capital and no one gives any fucks. We're all at the office.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

New company handles IT announcements the best out of any place I've worked.

Big announcements dont come from IT. Instead they go to a department head that will be affected by any big outage, upgrade, etc. They are the ones who send out the email and it seems to get a lot more attention that way.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's the same in my university. It goes through the department secretary, and everyone pays attention to the department secretary because all important info (events, free drinks, grants etc.) comes from there.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Timely topic. I have about 200 users who are getting onboarded to our nationwide helpdesk this week. It's my duty as the regional IT Director to send an email to them all about it. One person called me and left me a voicemail saying she had questions. I sent her an email saying I was at a remote site in meetings but would be happy to answer her questions via email. She called me again, and said "I see you sent me an email but you should have just called me."

:lol: Nope, I sent her another email reiterating my "I am at a remote site and in meetings so I cannot talk on the phone, but please email me and I will answer your questions." No response.

I fully expect her to call me again.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Years ago, I covered the helpdesk for a large grocery chain and one night the data center went down (electrical issue). We put a recording on the phones saying that everything was offline, including payments, orders, email, etc. and that the issue impacted every location and employee.

The entire time, we had callers tell us they heard the message but wanted to be sure that it included them :fuckoff: At least my call stats were awesome that night.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

duffmensch posted:

Years ago, I covered the helpdesk for a large grocery chain and one night the data center went down (electrical issue). We put a recording on the phones saying that everything was offline, including payments, orders, email, etc. and that the issue impacted every location and employee.

The entire time, we had callers tell us they heard the message but wanted to be sure that it included them :fuckoff: At least my call stats were awesome that night.
This is why if you're not the person working on fixing the system, one of the best things you can do is just answer the phone. Stop the people with dumb questions from bothering the person doing the work, and relay anything important to them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My favorite call when I worked at a help desk was from some rear end in a top hat, who also worked for the ISP, and really needed his home internet. The guy called in and somehow bypassed the regular level 1 techs who basically just reset modems and then passed the calls on to my department.

:rant: Tell me when the outage is going to be over
:) I can help get your internet back on I just have to run a couple checks
:rant:You don't understand, I work in billing and I need to be at work in 5 minutes. Tell me when your going to fix the outage!
:) *Ran checks* I don't see an outage on your account and the node appears to be fine
:rant: Oh my God it's all's over the news man come on just tell me when your going to fix the outage
:) I can't fix the outage that doesn't exist, I can schedule a tech if you think there is a problem
:rant: Oh my God Im going to get you fired if you don't give me your manager now!

So I transferred the call. 5 minutes later my manager messaged me back "there was no outage, I reset his modem and everything was fine." Totally worth threatening my job over.

Some of my favorite moments for that job were trying to transfer to another department, three times in a row the agents only said "thank you for calling ISP I have to disconnect the call due to no response." And per policy, they would repeat this line 3 times in a row. Finally, on the third call, I screamed in my mic "can you hear me now?!?!?" loud enough that the guy stuttered "I uh I em I can hear you but I have to disconnect the call due to no response" *click*. A level 3 tech specifically told me to give the customer private information that only he was supposed to discuss with the customer, and on the recorded line I said "that is against ISPs policy" and he replied "I don't know about that policy". My supervisor asked for all of the details on that call. The straw that broke the camel's back was my final supervisor had a reputation for not accepting escalation calls, and sure enough they were "In a meeting" on the first escalation call I asked them about, so I left that job by the end of the week.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 20, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

duffmensch posted:

I had a boss who used to tell me to do this.

After a while I just started lying to him about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Cory Doctorow is pure '00s Internet Guy, and most of his writing has aged super-horribly but way more people than will admit it thought he was good at the time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Entropic posted:

Cory Doctorow is pure '00s Internet Guy, and most of his writing has aged super-horribly but way more people than will admit it thought he was good at the time.

Can somebody post him getting beaten up because of his comical steampunk costume on a normal street?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

duffmensch posted:

This. All the time.

We will have a system outage. A recording gets put up on the initial IVR saying that System A is down. The same recording plays at the IVR of each individual department. So by the time a caller gets to an actual person, they have heard the message about System A being down twice. And we still get callers who say, "I heard the recording about System A being down, will that affect Application A (which is definitely a part of, and can only be accessed from, System A)?"

Although my absolute favorite part about this is - System A being down has been communicated to the entire call center. There is a system outage message on the Bulletin Board in the ticketing system. Several messages about System A being down have been shared in every Team chat for every department. And yet - we still have Generalists who escalate these calls and transfer them to Level 2 support. Usually after resetting their password or rebuilding their Citrix profile (neither of which have anything to do with System A).

Also fun - the agents who post in Teams chat, "Is there a problem with System A? My last four calls have all been about System A." The post directly above theirs in the chat is a reminder that System A is down.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I had like 20 tickets about WHY IS MY INTERNET OUT yesterday

Their power was out too....

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

kensei posted:

Timely topic. I have about 200 users who are getting onboarded to our nationwide helpdesk this week. It's my duty as the regional IT Director to send an email to them all about it. One person called me and left me a voicemail saying she had questions. I sent her an email saying I was at a remote site in meetings but would be happy to answer her questions via email. She called me again, and said "I see you sent me an email but you should have just called me."

:lol: Nope, I sent her another email reiterating my "I am at a remote site and in meetings so I cannot talk on the phone, but please email me and I will answer your questions." No response.

I fully expect her to call me again.

Isn't this basically mod-sass?

If you're that low level and you're refusing to listen to the higher up on day 1, that's a quick way to unemployment.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Man, if being an annoying fuckwit was fireable I'm assuming 50% of the people I interact with would be unemployable and everyone posting here would be terminally posting in an unemployment thread somewhere.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Man, if being an annoying fuckwit was fireable I'm assuming 50% of the people I interact with would be unemployable and everyone posting here would be terminally posting in an unemployment thread somewhere.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Isn't this basically mod-sass?

If you're that low level and you're refusing to listen to the higher up on day 1, that's a quick way to unemployment.

Regional IT Director doesn't sound that low level to me. If you don't push back on users you will create a really poo poo culture that you'll never be able to get out from under. Almost every job I've gone into involved properly setting expectations because the previous person(s) sucked at it and they made their lives living hell.