Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'SAVE US!'...and I'll look down and whisper 'I;m thinkin about thos beans' .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm watching the original MiB cause it's on Prime. this movie is fun as poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

indigi posted:

Yep its good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

indigi posted:

its a beat-for-beat remake of ghostbusters but yeah its great

sequels have sharply diminishing returns tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FMguru posted:

sequels have sharply diminishing returns tho

I honestly couldn't believe how awful MiB International was. like, even at the casting level Hemsworth and Thompson clearly had chemistry in Thor, where the gently caress did it disappear to?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

indigi posted:

I honestly couldn't believe how awful MiB International was. like, even at the casting level Hemsworth and Thompson clearly had chemistry in Thor, where the gently caress did it disappear to?
the last decade of studios trying to zap new life into old sf franchises (usually in an effort to turn them into tentpoles to build a marvel-like cinematic universe around) has resulted in some truly godawful movies. men in black, terminator, predator, independence day, robocop, ghostbusters, alien, tron, star wars - all terrible (blade runner 2049 looks like the only exception).

im sure the trend will continue with the upcoming matrix 4: the matrixing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

i like the part where will smith thinks she's pointing to her pussy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

the problem is that both of them were trying to be will smith and there was no tommy lee jones to balance it out.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

broad city is good even if I'm far too old to relate to it

I sure liked parts of it

but see i’m not particularly woek and don’t care to be, and I’ll like something and then someone on some sjw website like twitter will mention how it’s “problematic” and then I just don’t know anymore. am I allowed to like it still?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

and on the topic the melissa mccarthy ghostbusters is fine too. i didn’t get the hate. it’s just a movie

now a woman comedy that is truly awful? bad moms christmas

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I really like broad city but come to think of it I haven't watched a single episode since I saw the Hillary Clinton one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

terminator dark fate was pretty decent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

and on the topic the melissa mccarthy ghostbusters is fine too. i didn’t get the hate. it’s just a movie

ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t as good as the original imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and yet it was still fine

and parts of it were better. it was fun seeing them
experiment with the guns more before they used them.

and hemsworth was funny. i like the part where he put a hotdog above the house

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t as good as the original imo

it was ok, really dragged at parts esp all the logo poo poo

excellently cast tho, i'll watch melissa mccarthy in anything and the weird moonfaced guy who played the villain has been great in everything i've seen him in, like Other Space and Avenue 5

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

After all, I am the THE PLAYER OF BARGAINS

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002TXZT4I

(UK check, may also be cheap in other countries)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"#1 in TV, movie, video game adaptations" say what

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excellently cast tho, i'll watch melissa mccarthy in anything and the weird moonfaced guy who played the villain has been great in everything i've seen him in, like Other Space and Avenue 5

i felt like they didn’t have enough of a straight man for the others to play off of

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i really wanted like g16 but it was not good on the standalone merits (timing bad, pacing bad, plot bad, neither funny enough as a comedy nor actiony enough for an blockbuster, characters ill defined etc); references were either clumsily shoehorned or bad

reminded me a lot of solo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ghostbusters 2016 was ok which is not going to cut it when you're strongly linked to a legendary beloved classic

PCjr sidecar posted:

references were either clumsily shoehorned or bad

also this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

qirex posted:

terminator dark fate was pretty decent

Mackenzie Davis 😍

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ghostbusters and robocop remakes were both incredibly dumb because they remade movies which were both built on extremely weak/derivative central ideas, but were by absolute genius or unlikely accident made into fantastic films.

pretty much reused the worst aspect of the originals.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This was the big issue, all the jokes were initially funny and then dragged on for like 10 minutes. Aka they Adam Friedlanded all the jokes.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PCjr sidecar posted:

i really wanted like g16 but it was not good on the standalone merits (timing bad, pacing bad, plot bad, neither funny enough as a comedy nor actiony enough for an blockbuster, characters ill defined etc); references were either clumsily shoehorned or bad
it was ok for the first two acts, up until the villain did his thing, the third act/rest of the movie was meaningless action garbage. if there hadn't been uproar about it being a women cast it would have been as forgettable as "keeping up with the joneses" of the same year.

to be fair, action comedies in 2016 didn't stand a chance of scoring cultural cache against deadpool which came out in the first quarter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if movie producers will at some point figure out that watching people shoot cg beams at giant swirly glowing vortexes of cg was never and never will be entertaining

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they're not going to figure that out until people stop buying tickets to it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

cg has ruined the movie industry. it's too easy to add whatever bullshit you want, so everything ends up being written by idiots who think 10x more effects = 10x better movie

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the robocop remake actually did something interesting from a sci-fi/philosophical perspective

execution was merely adequate, but at least they tried something

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sweevo posted:

cg has ruined the movie industry. it's too easy to add whatever bullshit you want, so everything ends up being written by idiots who think 10x more effects = 10x better movie

i think it is more that it is too easy to demand the effects crew add whatever bullshit
when you need to have the physical effects done in advance of shooting, you have to know what you want and then when shooting you know where to put it and what it looks like
if you are a lazy/busy director you can skip all that planning and just tell the effects crew to put something there after you have finished shooting and make them figure it out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah doing cgi right requires extensive planning and strong integration with your live action shoot, you can't just layer stuff on top of footage that was never intended for that purpose or it looks like a snapchat AR gimmick

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
and if you're a really lazy director you can stop following the script and say "oh let's just let them improvise here"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Chris Knight posted:

and if you're a really lazy director you can stop following the script and say "oh let's just let them improvise here"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roller_Blade_Seven

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

the robocop remake actually did something interesting from a sci-fi/philosophical perspective

execution was merely adequate, but at least they tried something

yeah that’s what I thought as well. also that scene where they show him what’s left of his body really freaked me out, I thought I was gonna have a panic attack

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

they went heavy on woke marketing by trying to brand anyone who dared speak ill of it as some nazi chud chauvinist pig. they were also banking on it making so much money that it would fund a studio dedicated to a ghostbusters cinematic universe, which failed miserably. it wasn't a total financial bomb, but i don't think it made enough to come out ahead after the production and marketing costs, let alone fund a studio dedicated to sequels, spinoffs and video games

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this is amazing to watch high as gently caress

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i felt like they didn’t have enough of a straight man for the others to play off of

you need a script to have a straight man, it doesn't work if you're paul feig just pointing a camera at people and saying "go"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

yeah that was the worst part of new ghostbusters imo. it felt like they were all improvising jokes, which is fine sometimes, but paul feig was like "omg you're all so funny let's just leave it all in" instead of having a script or an editor

like there's a scene where they're walking through the subway and it's dark and spooky and in any other film they would have been mostly quiet because they're meant to be nervous. but in this movie they're just cracking bad jokes one after the other and going on and on about how it smells like pee. it was like a bad podcast

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I need to see this, also this is quite the directorial history:

quote:

it is directed by Donald G. Jackson of Hell Comes to Frogtown and other legendary titles like Lingerie Kickboxer, Rollergator and Ghost Taxi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the three genders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

this is dumb, but the thing that puts me off the 2016 ghostbusters is the costume for the egon standin. it looks like such contrived "look at me i'm wacky" bullshit that it made me irrationally hate the movie and not want to watch it