Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

most shameful nation ever, their whole national narrative is around rebellion against the english and one day we'll be free we've been fighting for it for 400 years well not actually fighting like ireland yknow like singing songs about it

tick a box yes/no do you actually want to leave?

"........no"

goes back to banging on about it without missing a beat

i like scotland a lot and theyre nowhere near as cursed as england (possibly just coz theres less people to curse the place with) but they are definitely the virgin to the irish chad, maybe even to the welsh chad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

watching uk center-left media contorting to invent good-faith interpretations of keirs poo poo is absolutely hilarious. hes loving passing bojo the ball and then saying "well we will have to conduct a careful and thorough review of ball possession before laying out of priorities vis a vis ball policy" and people are just like "finally, some dignity and competence. i still dont quite understand his strategy though"

skills wallets are contained in the balls, op

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

most shameful nation ever, their whole national narrative is around rebellion against the english and one day we'll be free we've been fighting for it for 400 years well not actually fighting like ireland yknow like singing songs about it

tick a box yes/no do you actually want to leave?

"........no"

goes back to banging on about it without missing a beat

i like scotland a lot and theyre nowhere near as cursed as england (possibly just coz theres less people to curse the place with) but they are definitely the virgin to the irish chad, maybe even to the welsh chad

The Welsh are way more England's bitch than we are, which is saying something.

Still, it is important to remember that the Irish & Welsh were invaded where as Scotland's Parliament decided to join the Union to pay off a failed attempt at colonialism. Rules.

Or as Burns put it, "We're bought and sold for English gold, Such a parcel of rogues in a nation"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
jesus christ

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1348940575932874752?s=20

Tory Government Forever

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Spangly A posted:

this is true, but so are the massive competitive advantages that comes with high pay, high morale, low turnover, an equitable grunt/ceo pay ratio, and a "company/personnel relationship" defined by regular + generous combination cash and stock bonuses. Capitalism became the main mechanism for protecting it's own class relationships centuries ago, and stopped being about anything else shortly afterwards.

You can have "good capitalists", in the same way you can have non-marxist marxian scholars and bankers. There are clear systemic pressures that stop this popping up too often. It'd be dishonest to make grand sweeping gestures and say THIS IS THE THING THAT MAKES CAPITALISTS INEFFICIENT WANKERS but there's a bunch of good candidates, market short-termism is one of the better ones.

I'd argue that there's no value in attempting to analyse the technical ideal of capitalism (rational actors maximising production efficiency based on a profit motive) because that has and never will exist in a world where it's carried out by humans. Real capitalism as you've mentioned is nothing like what it's supposed to be, people are absolutely not rational actors and I've lost track of the number of times I've seen managers and companies actively working to reduce efficiency and harm profitability for stupid or irrational reasons if you don't also consider the class relationship aspect.

Immiserating the poor is perhaps not the most efficient way to maximise profits BUT it does help to keep the workforce compliant and it reduces the threat the lower classes pose to the ruling class. Hard to fight for political power if you're working two jobs to stay alive, hard to organise if you're one step away from being homeless. Sure you're not going to be as productive as a happy, well fed and secure employee but those kinds of people also have the ability to challenge the status quo if there are enough of them.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Blackhawk posted:

Immiserating the poor is perhaps not the most efficient way to maximise profits BUT it does help to keep the workforce compliant and it reduces the threat the lower classes pose to the ruling class. Hard to fight for political power if you're working two jobs to stay alive, hard to organise if you're one step away from being homeless. Sure you're not going to be as productive as a happy, well fed and secure employee but those kinds of people also have the ability to challenge the status quo if there are enough of them.

The issue is that usually that anger is channeled into other sources, and the media does have an significant impact on the target of that ire. If the issue isn't Brexit, it is going to be something else.

That said, I do think keeping the population so impoverished they can't participate in economic activity is causing a long-term weakening of the state. It is why I think Labour is worried and wants to make "deficit fighting" its priority even through it isn't an actual solution.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

In the full article the Queen's Ravenmaster says they have a reserve raven in case she doesn't return.

There will be adequate raven.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

the gently caress is this photo lmao

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Trashman posted:

A surprisingly flattering picture of Labour leader Keir Starmer.

He normally looks much worse.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

10000 Sex Arses posted:

In the full article the Queen's Ravenmaster says they have a reserve raven in case she doesn't return.

googling "calorific content of raven"

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

10000 Sex Arses posted:

You do not understand. If the ravens leave the Tower, we must destroy the country. The prophecy must be fulfilled.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Trashman posted:

Where we're going, you won't need your left wing to win.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Guys it's fun to laugh at the UK reaping what they sowed and pointing at the empty supermarket shelves, but here in the EU it's gonna get dire soon as well.

We'll have to go without all of our favorite British food, such as, uh, cheddar, baked beans, um.. After eight? Maybe? Cooked sheep head Ina can? Where do we get our chicken hearts from?

Anyway, though times ahead for us :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cheddar is good though.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spankmeister posted:

Cheddar is good though.

Yes, please pray for us as we are left with only Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, German or Danish cheese.

no really cheddar is very good but seeing as the UK is not in the EU anymore they can't do the "it's only cheddar if it's from the cheddar region otherwise it's just orange cheese" thing anymore that has been going on with other food! so we'll propably have someone else produce it on the continent anyway. lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Son of Rodney posted:

Yes, please pray for us as we are left with only Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, German or Danish cheese.

no really cheddar is very good but seeing as the UK is not in the EU anymore they can't do the "it's only cheddar if it's from the cheddar region otherwise it's just orange cheese" thing anymore that has been going on with other food! so we'll propably have someone else produce it on the continent anyway. lmao
Cheddar was never protected, and is already being produced by Finland.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Son of Rodney posted:

Guys it's fun to laugh at the UK reaping what they sowed and pointing at the empty supermarket shelves, but here in the EU it's gonna get dire soon as well.

We'll have to go without all of our favorite British food, such as, uh, cheddar, baked beans, um.. After eight? Maybe? Cooked sheep head Ina can? Where do we get our chicken hearts from?

i'm just worried about Europe's Shittiest Farmers now that they can't dump their trash produce on the UK

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

spankmeister posted:

Cheddar is good though.

that big orange block of tesco value cheddar has been my friend through many rough patches

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cheddar was never protected, and is already being produced by Finland.

Yeah I was just guessing tbh, I figured that cheddar was something the UK was protecting in some way since its well known its from the UK.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've never know the Finns to be good at making cheese. Or any kind of food really. Except the kind that gives you chemical burns.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I ate quite a bit of Finnish cheese when I was in Russia and found it by far the best alternative and could very well stand on its own.

Also, looks like gov is getting busy doing the poo poo it actually wanted to do w/ brexit
https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

quote:

Worker protections enshrined in EU law — including the 48-hour week — would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of UK labour markets.
[...]
The main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, said people familiar with the plans.

The government also wants to remove the requirement of businesses to log the detailed, daily reporting of working hours, saving an estimated £1bn.

The government insisted that any reforms would be designed to help both companies and their employees — and put to a full consultation — saying it had no intention of “lowering” workers’ rights.

Miliband actually calling out how this is a garbage move lol, you don't say? like it matters now.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

what the hell am i supposed to do with all these eels

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

Yeah I was just guessing tbh, I figured that cheddar was something the UK was protecting in some way since its well known its from the UK.

i didn't even know that cheddar cheese was a british kind of cheese

Bootleg Trunks posted:

what the hell am i supposed to do with all these eels

my understanding is that in england there's a big demand for eels for filling up hovercrafts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mortons stork posted:

I ate quite a bit of Finnish cheese when I was in Russia and found it by far the best alternative and could very well stand on its own.

Well, compared to Russian cheese anything is gourmet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

spankmeister posted:

I've never know the Finns to be good at making cheese. Or any kind of food really. Except the kind that gives you chemical burns.

Finnish cheese is excellent and only challenged by Danish cheese. The rivalry is a thing and has been for a long time.

Finnish chocolate is the least kept secret that people just don't pick up on. Licorice too.

Local bakery products are A+ but not good enough to export when you can get French baking in cheaper. Except if you want rye, which central Europe doesn't.

It's not all ammonium chloride industrial alcohol, cloudberry jam and chopped up reindeer.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Maya Fey posted:

i'm just worried about Europe's Shittiest Farmers now that they can't dump their trash produce on the UK
lol like we won't be begging to pay more for it

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Well we all saw this coming tbf
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1349824358978609156
That was like the side goal of Brexit after cashing out

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

endlessmonotony posted:

Finnish cheese is excellent and only challenged by Danish cheese. The rivalry is a thing and has been for a long time.

Finnish chocolate is the least kept secret that people just don't pick up on. Licorice too.

Local bakery products are A+ but not good enough to export when you can get French baking in cheaper. Except if you want rye, which central Europe doesn't.

It's not all ammonium chloride industrial alcohol, cloudberry jam and chopped up reindeer.

Scandinavian licorice in general is the best in the world, imo.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Jarf posted:

Well we all saw this coming tbf
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1349824358978609156
That was like the side goal of Brexit after cashing out

https://twitter.com/Fox_Claire/status/1349868907675459591

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

But have you considered that now this means Britain can produce Parmesan and Champagne and become a world leader in these fields? Less of this talking Britain down.

The only way to make liquorice worse is to add salt, so I admire the Scandinavian dedication to inedible poo poo.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

that big orange block of tesco value cheddar has been my friend through many rough patches

Cheddar isn't orange though? Even the cheapest store-brand stuff is the same colour as other cheddars.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Son of Rodney posted:

All Scandinavian licorice is boring garbage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Granted Cloetta has slowly bought a lot of the really good licorice manufacturers.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

licorice loving sucks you god drat freaks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Cheddar isn't orange though? Even the cheapest store-brand stuff is the same colour as other cheddars.

whatever they call "red cheddar" is orange in color, it's the one i remember anyway

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/arusbridger/status/1349853352797085698?s=20

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Son of Rodney posted:

That's because the rest of the world have baby stomachs and can't process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

whatever they call "red cheddar" is orange in color, it's the one i remember anyway

A red cheddar, normal cheddar with food dye.