Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look if you go around demonstrating that houses don't vanish into a puff of smoke if you don't complete a monthly sacrifice on the rent god altar then people will get all kinds of weird ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Regarde Aduck posted:

You haven't identified the real issue. That there won't be anymore lockdowns and anyone over 50 or with comorbidities gets sent to 'special' 'treatment centres' that don't actually have doctors. You get put on a ventilator or CPAP and maybe you'll ride it out but if you crash you crash. This removes the one thing they couldn't ignore, hospitals being overwhelmed.

In such a scenario we might get 'lucky' in that a new industry begins with covid only medical teams and bing bong, covid is monetized.

Soylent green.....

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Pistol_Pete posted:

Re: the developing Zero-covid campaign - I've been struck to see the right-wing press already gearing up to attack it, which I think is really interesting:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/14/lockdown-sceptics-have-one-last-chance-lead-covid-debate/

What does the thread think about this? Once the vaccinations are well underway, should we end restrictions and learn to live with Covid, or should we concentrate on vigorously eliminating it?

My own feeling is that learning to live with Covid is a false argument: as long as we're continually needing lockdowns due to rampant Covid, the economy's never going to recover.

I read that article and honestly struggled with it. It's a load of non factual statements swept together into a barely coherent mass like pubes in a plughole. "The oil industry, which has gone from being run by high-rolling prospectors and roughnecks to executives whose overriding mission is to ensure accidents never occur, is the textbook example." is... well you'd have to be able to a) watch Deepwater Horizon and b) not realise John Malkovich plays a baddie to swallow a take like that. Presumably these statements are intended to actually filter out readers capable of higher cognitive function in the same way 419 scammers' bad grammar is.

The sentiment of it seems to be that lockdown skeptics are getting their arses kicked by reality and need to reposition themselves on COVID in order to retain their appeal. That presumes that lockdown skeptics hold their ideas for bold ideological reasons, whereas they're mostly general purpose contrarians who feed on the hottest issue of the moment. In order to not expose their behaviour they cannot change position, they can only change issue.

We would be able suppress it to effectively-zero levels like we have with other diseases or like other countries have done in this pandemic. We could also set up structures so that the next viral outbreak is properly contained. That would be the right thing to do. But I doubt we can be arsed.
I think we'll end up getting told that Boris has Won Back Normal as soon as vaccination stops COVID deaths being headline worthy in the UK. It'll then sit around endemically like whooping cough and flu. Never rising up enough to trigger a change in behaviour here, killing the odd unlucky person in the UK but mostly just millions of people in poorer countries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

I read that article and honestly struggled with it. It's a load of non factual statements swept together into a barely coherent mass like pubes in a plughole. "The oil industry, which has gone from being run by high-rolling prospectors and roughnecks to executives whose overriding mission is to ensure accidents never occur, is the textbook example." is... well you'd have to be able to a) watch Deepwater Horizon and b) not realise John Malkovich plays a baddie to swallow a take like that. Presumably these statements are intended to actually filter out readers capable of higher cognitive function in the same way 419 scammers' bad grammar is.
The line before is especially egregious.

quote:

On the one hand, people take risks all the time, from speeding to recreational drugs. On the other, the modern collective is risk averse, and the trend is intensifying.
:hmmyes: maybe we should devote proportional amounts of state action for recreational drugs that have killed a few thousand people over several decades and a disease that's killed a hundred thousand in less than a year. Move all the drug war money to Zero Covid and tenfold it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What is the fkin matter with these people?

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1349729913150922752?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They are poo poo cunts who have been raised in an ideological atmosphere of poo poo cuntery.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

This all depends on how well the vacines prevent transmission. This is something we don't know at the moment as the big studies were all focused on whether it prevents symptoms. This is for the oxford vaccine:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext#tbl2

If the 3.8% is accurate then zero covid isn't going to happen any time soon.

Don't forget the virus will be detectable by PCR tests even if you're generating neutralising antibodies, so detection of it in nasal swabs is not an indicator that you're infectious, or if you are that it's not at a vastly reduced rate. All three licensed vaccines do seem to generate neutralising antibodies which *should* be sufficient to prevent onward transmission although crucially only after the second dose (it's possible that they might be able to do generate it after the first dose but that's not proven and another reason the "just loving spam it out" idea is dumb)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Well, it's finally happened, I've finally got annoyed at someone I'm close to for lockdown flouting. And I'm not even sure how to broach it with them again or if I should so I'm posting here for advice/commiseration/general ranting.

I'm up north, staying with my mum in pretty much the best house for locking down in imaginable for me, i.e. it has a home gym and somewhere I can ferret myself away to read/play games. That said I don't know anyone round here at all and haven't had any social contact outside of my family for ages. My partner on the other hand is in our flat with our flat mate down in London. They're struggling massively with their mental health for a variety of reasons, but in the last few days they've sent me a picture of themselves in one of their mate's houses after a 'socially distanced walk' with the friend's dog; gone halfway across London (seriously, Islington to decently south of the river) to deliver an ill friend 'some kimchi', and when pressed 'some other stuff too'; and now are going on a walk with our flatmate and his partner to drop some posters off to another friend. This friend lives in west London, so not down the road.

We had a bit of a butting of heads over kimchi-gate, and I thought they'd at least learn that if they're going to make non-essential journeys to not tell me. I don't want to preach from my gym-having ivory tower about lockdown to someone living in a flat, but it's doing my head in. We're both very ra ra the government types obviously and both hate the blaming of the public but loving hell some people don't help themselves. They're extremely low so I really don't know whether to just suck it up or actually have a go. They just rationalised away the kimchi thing as our friend being ill and it was grocery shopping - I didn't push but I don't think it was actually an essential grocery shop and I also find it hard to believe the only way they could've got shopping was by my partner jetting halfway across Plague Death City, 'mostly on foot' (so not loving on foot then???).

E: Well, I did, and it did not go well. Lol

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 14, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ha, ha. I mean, oh no!

Bitcoin: Newport man's plea to find £210m hard drive in tip

quote:

A man who threw away a laptop hard drive containing bitcoin he believes is now worth about £210m wants his council to let him search for it in landfill.

James Howells had 7,500 bitcoins, a virtual currency, on the hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away in 2013.

He said he was willing to donate 25% of the value of the bitcoins to his home city of Newport in south Wales - about £52.5m - if he found the hard drive.

Newport council said excavation was not possible under its licensing permit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Well, it's finally happened, I've finally got annoyed at someone I'm close to for lockdown flouting. And I'm not even sure how to broach it with them again or if I should so I'm posting here for advice/commiseration/general ranting.

I suppose you need to analyse exactly why you're angry at them and I know there's a lot of other factors here, but my advice would be not to make it a blame/guilt thing for them. I'm assuming your partner isn't an idiot (which I'd hope is the assumption you're making) and doing this for a laugh, they're doing it because they really need to get out of the house for their own sake (an instinct I absolutely identify with, even in the pissing rain I have to at least get around the block a couple of times or the anxiety starts to seriously ramp up, and I consider myself a goony goon shutin).

Like any harmful behaviour, you're better off to try and deflect them into a safer/healthier outlet for the instinct (like the NHS Volunteer Responder thing), or at least make sure they're masking and sanitising and generally being as safe as possible. Don't get noticeably angry if you find out they're not because it'll just make them carry on doing it and not telling you.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Am I crazy or has that story been around for nearly 5 years, and/or the guy posted here.

I definitely remember it when bitcoin first "exploded".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

EvilHawk posted:

Am I crazy or has that story been around for nearly 5 years, and/or the guy posted here.

It says in the article he's asked the council for permission multiple times so probably came up before

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

They absolutely shouldn't dig up the landfill, but they should let him in on his own to sift through the thousands of tons of rubbish with a metal detector. Everyone needs a hobby

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

The story has happened multiple times to multiple people* but I definitely remember someone in Newport being in the news for this exact thing around... 2015 or so? Maybe even a bit earlier?

* To the point it was a joke in Silicon Valley

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's astounding. They cut free meals, the whole country goes nuts, they u-turn. They give it a few months, cut them again, whole country goes mental, they J-turn and replace free meals with lovely boxes, the country goes even crazier and they do a full u-turn. And now they're trying it again? Without even waiting for the last furore to die down?

My dog has more concept permenance when I tell him to stop chewing his toys.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The council should counter-offer with 90%

He'd still get* £20m

(*he wouldn't get anything because he'll never find it)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Endjinneer posted:

Oh yeah, I'm well aware that it's incoherent bullshit, I just found it interesting that Zero Covid vs Let 'er rip! is clearly being set up as the next front in the culture war.

My worry is that if we don't aim at zero covid, we'll end up in this recurring cycle of having relatively normal summer months and spending winters under effective house arrest due to Covid lockdowns for years to come. It's not an enticing prospect.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Would be pretty funny if he spent a couple of years, found the hard drive, destroyed his life in the process, and then realised he was missing a few digits from his wallet ID.

I would lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suppose you need to analyse exactly why you're angry at them and I know there's a lot of other factors here, but my advice would be not to make it a blame/guilt thing for them. I'm assuming your partner isn't an idiot (which I'd hope is the assumption you're making) and doing this for a laugh, they're doing it because they really need to get out of the house for their own sake (an instinct I absolutely identify with, even in the pissing rain I have to at least get around the block a couple of times or the anxiety starts to seriously ramp up, and I consider myself a goony goon shutin).

Like any harmful behaviour, you're better off to try and deflect them into a safer/healthier outlet for the instinct (like the NHS Volunteer Responder thing), or at least make sure they're masking and sanitising and generally being as safe as possible. Don't get noticeably angry if you find out they're not because it'll just make them carry on doing it and not telling you.

Yeah you're right. I didn't get mad, I just pointed out I don't think those are essential journeys. Getting out the house is one thing but getting a bus to loving catford or wherever is quite another. Still, I only expressed my disapproval in a calm way. It'll be reet.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Would be pretty funny if he spent a couple of years, found the hard drive, destroyed his life in the process, and then realised he was missing a few digits from his wallet ID.

I would lol

Can you even cash out that much bitcoin? I mean, without turning it into cocaine first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I assume that's what the council were planning on doing, though I think with £210m I'd want something more substantial than a heap of cocaine, like a team to CRISPR some algae that can make cocaine.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1349767137666195461

quote:

Richard Leonard has resigned as the leader of Scottish Labour with immediate effect just four months after seeing off an attempted coup.

It is understood that the party wants a new leader in place ahead of the Holyrood election, which is scheduled to take place in May.

His resignation followed a conference call involving senior party figures and potential donors, who are understood to have said that they would not back Labour while Mr Leonard remained in post.

Jackie Baillie, the deputy leader who will now stand in for Mr Leonard; Ian Murray, the shadow Scottish secretary; David Evans, the UK general secretary; Angela Rayner, the UK deputy leader; the businessman William Haughey; and Robert Latham, the human rights lawyer who gave £100,000 to Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership campaign, were all present on the call.

Sources said the meeting had no bearing on Mr Leonard’s decision, which was made by him alone.

Cool!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1349809883181441024?s=19

Wish I could say I was surprised. Wealthy donors reassuring control of the party.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Dutch parliament seems to be outdoing the Tories in the Poorcrusher Olympics today, and the coalition looks likely to collapse under the weight of Pure Centrism. Literally extorting poor people because Computer Say So

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/dutch-government-faces-collapse-over-child-benefits-scandal

The wild thing here is being barred from appealing, what a wild stricture to place on anyone. Not to be gammony but we let murderers and rapists appeal their convictions and sentences, but the Dutch weren't letting people on the hook for what is to the government piddling money do so? hosed up.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Eh. The Dutch thing is not really any worse than what the Tories have been putting benefit claimants through since 2010. What's blowing my mind living here is that doing it was legal but, because it's not in the spirit of what the government or law should be doing, one of the ministers has already gone, and now the government may still collapse. Imagine that sort of accountability.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is refreshing for a government minister to point out that the government is the enemy of the people.

I mean, like, other than when the republicans do it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/sarahditum/status/1349007041487106049

:thunk:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's astounding. They cut free meals, the whole country goes nuts, they u-turn. They give it a few months, cut them again, whole country goes mental, they J-turn and replace free meals with lovely boxes, the country goes even crazier and they do a full u-turn. And now they're trying it again? Without even waiting for the last furore to die down?

My dog has more concept permenance when I tell him to stop chewing his toys.

there's currently no opposition to the government, op :/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

bustin keaton posted:

Eh. The Dutch thing is not really any worse than what the Tories have been putting benefit claimants through since 2010. What's blowing my mind living here is that doing it was legal but, because it's not in the spirit of what the government or law should be doing, one of the ministers has already gone, and now the government may still collapse. Imagine that sort of accountability.

When I got told to gently caress off for not being disabled I said "Yes I am" and it was a pain in the arse to get them to believe me but I mean, I did. Which isn't the same as being convicted of fraud but like, "no you cannot appeal this" is absolutely WILD to me.

On the other hand yeah, lmao IRL at the idea a mere scandal that hurt tens of thousands of people, tore families apart, bankrupted many, and caused immense hardship for no good reason would cause a British government to collapse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if NIP have a candidate in my constituency next election i'll vote for them otherwise i'm just not going to bother i think

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ditum is one of the notorious TERFs isn't she?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The Vito story line in Sopranos really stuck out like a sore thumb even at the time. Most other things in the show are incredibly well observed and then you have 1970s stereotypes of gay men thrown in lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Not So Fast posted:

Yep. Even puts "Vaginacentric" in her twit bio.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/olivianerys/status/1348951589621526528

Not So Fast posted:

Yes.

Strangest thing is I've seen barely any of the recent (i.e. past 10 years) scientific research on sex and gender diversity given a mainstream platform in the UK, and yet these 'silenced' gender criticals seem to be given platforms loving everywhere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

The Vito story line in Sopranos really stuck out like a sore thumb even at the time. Most other things in the show are incredibly well observed and then you have 1970s stereotypes of gay men thrown in lol

i can see vito being like that in the show because of the fact he's mafia. its been a long time since i saw it though so

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

i can see vito being like that in the show because of the fact he's mafia. its been a long time since i saw it though so

I learned from the excellent TVIV Sopranos thread that the actor who played him really pushed for the story line and is a massive turd irl

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

I learned from the excellent TVIV Sopranos thread that the actor who played him really pushed for the story line and is a massive turd irl

lol oh well. i guess i was just thinking about the bit where paulie(?) goes into the coffee shop to explain how protection works and the guy is like "well you can but there are machines that count every single bean for corporate so it won't work" and he fucks off confused

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Yep. Even puts "Vaginacentric" in her twit bio.

And yet if I do that it's called horny on main, curious.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Seems she has a history of ~interesting tweets~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Seems she has a history of ~interesting tweets~

So close and yet so far