Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not really surprising that the dude whose sole defining trait is uncritical consumption of mass media would like sao.
I honestly know nothing about Earnest Cline or Ready Player One since I ignored it's entire movie presence and didn't read the book
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1331429437657767936
This just convinces me to keep that trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Brought To You By posted:

I honestly know nothing about Earnest Cline or Ready Player One since I ignored it's entire movie presence and didn't read the book
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1331429437657767936
This just convinces me to keep that trajectory.

If that's real, then wow. I mean, Ready Player One was by no means great literature but it wasn't that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's not, I hope this helps.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wasn't going to buy it anyways but I guess it helps my sanity a little.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I for one am glad that twitter is an unreliable source, I still won't be picking up a copy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, no for sure, by no means should anyone ever give Ernest Cline money.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Vtuber thread crossover: Amelia Watson is currently reading the story of ADTRW's second favorite war criminal, I Shall Survive Using Potions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Who is ADTRW's favorite war criminal?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I hope it's tanya

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Char Aznable

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

Char Aznable

:hmmyes:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kirbysuperstar posted:

nothing helps

nothing will ever help again

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gwrtheyrn posted:

I hope it's tanya

Tanya maintains war plausible deniability at all times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was just assuming it was someone from Fullmetal Alchemists.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

RareAcumen posted:

I was just assuming it was someone from Fullmetal Alchemists.

As much as I like Roy Mustang he doesn't rate high enough on the scale to outweigh his "participation in a genocide".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

As much as I like Roy Mustang he doesn't rate high enough on the scale to outweigh his "participation in a genocide".

Well hey, that's ignoring all the other characters that were involved!

But yeah, none of them carry it with the same aplomb that Vegeta does.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's the isekai potion lady, the one who actually broke the Geneva Conventions a bunch.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's the isekai potion lady, the one who actually broke the Geneva Conventions a bunch.

It's OK, man. Sometimes I don't read the thread either.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nipponophile posted:

:same:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Archdemon's Dilemma chapter 29 came out. Chapters 28 and 29 are the first glimpses of the large extended cast and you also get to meet the first real villains in the series. Things just start to take off from here.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

No, I read it just fine. :colbert:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like Isekai where the MC is OP but not directly, like he can't fight but he can make others OP as hell.

Good examples of this is probably Impregnable demon king castle and World's Strongest Rearguard.

In both cases the MC is mainly useless in a direct fight, but when he's buffing/debuffing he can make a mediocre warrior into a godlike force. So I'm just wondering what other good examples of this particular trope are out there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The main character in Log Horizon is like that, to a certain extent. He's a tactical genius but his class is strictly a buffer/debuffer so he's not a front line fighter.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

The main character in Log Horizon is like that, to a certain extent. He's a tactical genius but his class is strictly a buffer/debuffer so he's not a front line fighter.

I've watched the anime, haven't seen much of the manga but google shows that the artist had health issues and it's been on Hiatus since 2015?

But yeah, good example. Got any more?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

khy posted:

Live Dungeon! might count? Hardcore MMORPG gamer is sucked into his favourite old game after clearing the entire dungeon controlling an entire 5-man-party by his lonesome, as expert in all classes. On the other side he's faced with a society of dungeon explorers who have no respect at all for healers, so he struggles to teach people the wisdom of a balanced party of tank+damage dealer+healer, so he can reach the final boss and get his rear end back home.

The protagonist basically has no destructive power of his own, just a deep knowledge of how to use every class skill to best effect, so there's a lot more teamwork and tactics to figure out how to deal with certain kinds of enemies, politics in making allies and building his own clan, setting up supply lines for new gear, etc.

It got a few light novel volumes out before being cancelled, but I think the manga adaptation is still somehow surviving on its own. The original web novel is technically "finished" on Narou, but there's a new post-end arc being posted on the author's personal blog, where the story kind of continues, I guess. I enjoyed it a lot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

I like Isekai where the MC is OP but not directly, like he can't fight but he can make others OP as hell.

Good examples of this is probably Impregnable demon king castle and World's Strongest Rearguard.

In both cases the MC is mainly useless in a direct fight, but when he's buffing/debuffing he can make a mediocre warrior into a godlike force. So I'm just wondering what other good examples of this particular trope are out there.

only sense online has the main character with a really good support build that usually buffs the melee fighters a ton while doing long range support

I'm trying to figure out of Maple would count

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

darkgray posted:

Live Dungeon! might count? Hardcore MMORPG gamer is sucked into his favourite old game after clearing the entire dungeon controlling an entire 5-man-party by his lonesome, as expert in all classes. On the other side he's faced with a society of dungeon explorers who have no respect at all for healers, so he struggles to teach people the wisdom of a balanced party of tank+damage dealer+healer, so he can reach the final boss and get his rear end back home.

The protagonist basically has no destructive power of his own, just a deep knowledge of how to use every class skill to best effect, so there's a lot more teamwork and tactics to figure out how to deal with certain kinds of enemies, politics in making allies and building his own clan, setting up supply lines for new gear, etc.

It got a few light novel volumes out before being cancelled, but I think the manga adaptation is still somehow surviving on its own. The original web novel is technically "finished" on Narou, but there's a new post-end arc being posted on the author's personal blog, where the story kind of continues, I guess. I enjoyed it a lot.

A lot of the meta-strategies he tries to get people to adopt just reminds me of FF14.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

darkgray posted:

I started reading Live Dungeon. When it was him + his party it was enjoyable but ever since he started teaching assholes it's become a lot less so. I'll keep up on it though.

I haven't tried Only Sense Online yet, I'll look at it. Thanks for that one!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Dungeon Nursery (completed) has the MC doing very powerful supporting: supporting a family

https://mangadex.org/title/23004/dungeon-nursery

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I got to say that I’ve basically lost all interest in further light novels from the “so I am a spider so what” series after the big reveal in the last book.

It just feels like there’s nowhere left to go in this story and it’s just been meandering around for a book or two. The books aren’t written particularly well just start with, consisting mostly of monologues of white because she never talks to anyone. Unlike at the start of the series where she had a driving force to survive, now she’s just pulled along from place to place by other characters with absolutely no character motivation of her own. It really sucks.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
(Edit: I should mention that those spoilers are mostly because they cover stuff the manga hasn't quite explicitly covered them yet. They're a book or more in the past for the English LNs.)

I thought she'd just found her newest motivation: helping her new friend, which she finally realized they were. Which actually dovetails quite nicely with her ongoing motivations of break the system and kill God.

I do otherwise agree with you, though I feel like it's in desperate need of a time-skip to undo the previous reverse time-skip now that all the players are in place which would help a lot, at least for me.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 27, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

khy posted:

I've watched the anime, haven't seen much of the manga but google shows that the artist had health issues and it's been on Hiatus since 2015?

He also had tax evasion issues.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Interesting series popped up on MD. An Active Hunter in Hokkaido has been Thrown into a Different World. Unique for no other reason than the MC wasn't hit by a truck, he was mauled to death by a bear. :black101:. Now he's stuck in a fantasy world with only his wits, his hunting know how, and a pump action shotgun. Also his cheat ability is straight up just capitalism

Remember to always shop at Bass Pro Shop Outdoor Land.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Thats a pretty good cheat ability to be honest.

CAPITALISM HO!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Interesting series popped up on MD. An Active Hunter in Hokkaido has been Thrown into a Different World. Unique for no other reason than the MC wasn't hit by a truck, he was mauled to death by a bear. :black101:. Now he's stuck in a fantasy world with only his wits, his hunting know how, and a pump action shotgun. Also his cheat ability is straight up just capitalism

Remember to always shop at Bass Pro Shop Outdoor Land.

I think it's the receipt that takes it from "eh, seen this before" to "ok, this is kind of funny".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

I think it's the receipt that takes it from "eh, seen this before" to "ok, this is kind of funny".

It's even better when I realized that The goddess is giving the MC her employee discount. He comments on the price of an individual round being lower than the normal market value and the goddess has more or less been confirmed to be working at the shop he gets supplies from.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

It's even better when I realized that The goddess is giving the MC her employee discount. He comments on the price of an individual round being lower than the normal market value and the goddess has more or less been confirmed to be working at the shop he gets supplies from.

I just got to that part, and I agree. I also like the fact that he communicates with the goddess through his walkie-talkie.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Okay I’m sold.

That’s got to be my favorite isekai goddess yet and I haven’t even read it yet

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Literally Kermit posted:

Okay I’m sold.

That’s got to be my favorite isekai goddess yet and I haven’t even read it yet

Theres only 2 chapters so Aquas position is still safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

and wakes up in a fantasy world, armed with only the Remington M870 shotgun he had when he died
Shop smart... shop S-Mart.