Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I never got a gun at all in the game (until grabbing a rifle off a dead soldier towards the end, which was really just a nice bonus because I actually killed him to steal his rations). Really the thing about the combat in the game just boils down to "don't do it". Getting in a fight is typically never worth it, and if you have to kill someone you're much better off sneaking up on them and backstabbing than trying to take them in a straight fight, gun or no gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I disagree, I think the revolver is absolutely worth it. Getting outnumbered in combat can be really dangerous without a gun.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i was cornered into a knife fight in a burned district, and it freaked me out enough that i quit playing altogether. i'll make it through this game someday. goddamn is it stressful though!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not worth buying the gun even on discount, but if you can find or loot one it can be useful. I generally avoided combat when I could though and when I couldn't the knife was enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh yeah, Ice Pick Lodge's next game has a store page. Know by Heart, seems to be a melancholic story game that's honestly more in line with what people wanted out of Pathologic 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Oh yeah, Ice Pick Lodge's next game has a store page. Know by Heart, seems to be a melancholic story game that's honestly more in line with what people wanted out of Pathologic 2.

quote:

Childhood friends reunite after spending a long time apart, revisiting old memories and rekindling their friendship. However, something beyond their control will ruin this reunion.

That's literally just the plot of Pathologic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

"Why's the train station open?"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

"Why's the train station open?"

Lol

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

2020 retrospective from our (mine) favorite developers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOeBxns-FQQ

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

man, gently caress the house of death. that was so stressful that i had to stop playing for a bit

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

finally started playing this after having it pre-ordered and sitting in my library for over a year. i was feeling a little burnt out after playing the first one and also dealing with a real life plague. i just hit day 9, managed to cure my infection by barely surviving a firebombing, im running back and forth between all my daily tasks, trying desperately to keep at the very least my two favourite kids alive, while also gobbling rotten food scavenged from dumpsters along the way.

loving hell, i love this game. its good to be back in the town-on-gorkhon

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
This is the only game I've ever played that has survival meters that feel necessary for gameplay and story. I was constantly raiding dumpsters, trading junk with children, seizing anything of value from corpses, and getting 2 hour naps before sprinting off again in an attempt to live and save the lives of others. For once, my love of looting containers was not just for fun, but the junk inside was essential for survival. The Haruspex must spin an impossible number of plates -- there are no easy answers or solutions. I get the feeling that a story like this can only ever emerge from a culture where the pain of severe supply shortages and famine is in living memory.

My only real complaint is that muggers are everywhere and immediately rush to you, knife in hand, if they spot you. The clunky combat makes it no fun. I know I was supposed to feel trepidation at the arrival of the military, but I was relieved to finally see someone helping with the super-aggressive, super-lethal muggers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I played nearly half the game before I realized that there is sneaking in the game. You can all laugh at me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mizuti posted:

This is the only game I've ever played that has survival meters that feel necessary for gameplay and story. I was constantly raiding dumpsters, trading junk with children, seizing anything of value from corpses, and getting 2 hour naps before sprinting off again in an attempt to live and save the lives of others. For once, my love of looting containers was not just for fun, but the junk inside was essential for survival. The Haruspex must spin an impossible number of plates -- there are no easy answers or solutions. I get the feeling that a story like this can only ever emerge from a culture where the pain of severe supply shortages and famine is in living memory.

My only real complaint is that muggers are everywhere and immediately rush to you, knife in hand, if they spot you. The clunky combat makes it no fun. I know I was supposed to feel trepidation at the arrival of the military, but I was relieved to finally see someone helping with the super-aggressive, super-lethal muggers.

Yeah this is why I think buying the revolver is important. I spent a lot of time at night hunting for supplies and therefore needed to fight off a lot of muggers. I guess if you spend the night sleeping or going out into the steppe to hunt for herbs you won't need to kill so many guys.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

genericnick posted:

I played nearly half the game before I realized that there is sneaking in the game. You can all laugh at me.

i made it 3/4's before learning the same thing. it's not conveyed very well

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Yeah I didn't realize it was a thing either until I happened to check the key bindings. It's weird that it doesn't come up in any of the tutorials at all. Related note: If you have a knife/scalpel and charge up the attack while sneaking, you can backstab someone for even more damage than a charged attack typically does. It's not an instant kill but it usually hurts them enough that you can finish them off before they have a chance to retaliate.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm watching this dude play through for the first time it seems. I don't understand Spanish well enough to really understand him, but it's something special to watch someone explore the game live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Y5-ZpXhNI

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah this is why I think buying the revolver is important. I spent a lot of time at night hunting for supplies and therefore needed to fight off a lot of muggers. I guess if you spend the night sleeping or going out into the steppe to hunt for herbs you won't need to kill so many guys.

stabbin em is cheaper

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
What are the tiny critters that you constantly see hopping away underfoot?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mizuti posted:

What are the tiny critters that you constantly see hopping away underfoot?

Jerboas

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I think it was in the video by either SulMatul or HBomberguy (or both possibly) where they basically said that the point of the economy and trading is that this is a game about having no money, and about starvation. Like you can miss out on opportunities and large portions of the game and story in this because you're starving to death and don't have any money and you have to sneak into abandoned disease-ridden districts to get food to keep yourself going.

Also I'm pretty sure the combat is deliberately meant to be not fun and unreliable. Like there is a lot of jank in the game and there is definitely some truth to saying the devs overreached, but somehow all of the design choices still feel very deliberate to me.

Speaking of the army, (spoiler I guess, but not really major story stuff) I remember in my first run I was ambushing and murdering lone soldiers for their rations on the last day to stay alive, I had to, for the children you see.

EDIT: Also didn't realize there was a thread for this, that's really good, it's often hard to find places to talk about this game, I've never really played anything that comes close to it. I started going off a bit about it in the Disco Elysium thread because playing through that game earlier this week reminded me a decent amount about Pathologic in terms of geenral themes and sensibilities (and also IMO having real artistic merit and aspirations).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 17, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

if i get infected in order to save a kid (i believe it's unavoidable one of us will), should i heal myself with a schmowder, or just deal with the infection?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

a7m2 posted:

if i get infected in order to save a kid (i believe it's unavoidable one of us will), should i heal myself with a schmowder, or just deal with the infection?

Absolutely heal yourself with the schmowder. Being infected is a death sentence, it is not manageable.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Or don't. This game thrives on suffering.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the jankiness of the combat and how if you fight any more than one guy you're hosed is absolutely appropriate in being a doctor not trained in fighting who is fairly tall and buff but isnt some commando god. that and the strict punishment for death is absolutely important to the experience of needing to weigh the risks of potential combat instead of just brute forcing it by reloading over and over.

related but the experience of opening a cupboard in ravel's armoire where you think it might just be some more food but then you suddenly see a knife and you realize how deadly that is, is some really artful understated game narrative. one of the most memorable bits in the game imo

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Jesus, they really have a rodent problem then. Jerboas are one of the hosts for the fleas that may carry the bubonic plague, so it's fitting.

Are there any tips for combat? I bought the gun but it ended up being a huge waste of money. Need two bullets to kill, it misses easily, and ammo is scarce.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 17, 2021

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Give the revolver another chance, it becomes a bit more practical mid-to-late game when you can manage ammo to keep it loaded and spare parts to keep it functional. I found it to be fairly accurate when aiming down the sight, and a single shot the the neck or head will usually kill in one hit. Six rounds means you've got some wiggle room for misses or engaging multiple enemies. Of course it's always good to keep a knife as a melee backup incase you get a jam or the get too close.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
prissy doctors from the city use guns. butchers use knives

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Personally, if you haven't, I recommend using the rocket launcher.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

dont start posting more spoilers here now after the disco elysium thread debacle

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i'll take the gep gun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

i'll take the gep gun

ah, the "lockpick deluxe"

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Started a new game. I thought I would be clever and pick the herbs in the Steppe during night one when I had time to spare, but I didn't see or hear a single herb. Do they only spawn later?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, pretty sure night one is herbless.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

they only exist if you blood the tree

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

nothing in this game hits you in the feels like rocket jumping your way up the side of the Polyhedron for the final boss fight

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i'm now imagining the haruspex and the bachelor battling it out on top of the polyhedron metal gear solid 4-style, and i kinda want this as a dlc, not gonna lie

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ONION!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pro tip: to kill the sand plague shoot it until it dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
How do you increase your fund rewards beyond doing your job at the theater each day?