Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

I am not quite clear how it would work if I have 2 planets - one is completely full or close to it and the other a new colony. By the diminishing growth curve, I get that the big planet stops growing. The small planet grows slowly because it has not hit the exponential curve that well yet.

It would seem that moving some pops from the big world to the small one so that the big one would be at optimal exponential growth, is the best strategy.
Carrying cap is being carried into vanilla with the next patch, manual migration will cost influence, and a small amount of whole pop migration will occur naturally even without GTO or the new starbase buildings.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yami Fenrir posted:

I mean if you somehow have only 2 planets, yes.

2 planets where one is full and the other is empty, which only happens if you lost a war or waited 40 years to colonise for the first time

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yami Fenrir posted:

yyyup.

At least they finally buffed Psionics! They made them more resistant to spy bullshit than most :v:

if Psychics can be largely immune to this poo poo if you put in token elements of counter espionage I'll be fine but otherwise looks like a worst case scenario with what it does.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOreVx6Z1M

this looks like it will blow stellaris out of the water honestly.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Savy Saracen salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOreVx6Z1M

this looks like it will blow stellaris out of the water honestly.

I mean it's not difficult to blow stellaris out of the water even these days, but that's an RTS.

Stellaris is a 4x that just happens to have a real time combat system.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Huh, that's the Kurogone shipset. Did they hire that artist or were those pre-existing assets?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Is there a good guide to mods? There are just so many of them in the workshop and they're not organized in a way that makes sense to me. I want to look at ones that might make planet management less burdensome or possibly make the AI somewhat less stupid about managing them. Even if I still can't trust it to manage planets for me, I'd like to spend less time unfucking conquered worlds.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Splicer posted:

You can have multiple fleets in one engagement

That's the plan. I'm building 2 fortress works currently for more sweet sweet navel capacity.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

That's the plan. I'm building 2 fortress works currently for more sweet sweet navel capacity.

Protip: Spam habitats.

They make excellent fortress building slots fodder.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Protip: Spam habitats.

They make excellent fortress building slots fodder.
What makes them so good for fortress worlds?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ilkhan posted:

What makes them so good for fortress worlds?

Because you got nothing you want pop jobs on there first (like mining districts and whatnot) and a trade district you can use to "fill" up jobs until you can get there.

Basically the best way to use Habitats is to use them as extra Building Slots you can just build.

You can even double dip and fill chokepoint systems with fortress habitats to make invading you miserable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

You can even double dip and fill chokepoint systems with fortress habitats to make invading you miserable.
AI does this to me. Makes me love jump drives and colossus so much... If I do invade, they always end up getting purged. Maybe that should change.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ilkhan posted:

AI does this to me. Makes me love jump drives and colossus so much... If I do invade, they always end up getting purged. Maybe that should change.

Protip: you can use the Raiding Bombardment stance to bypass fortresses by pulling out the pops out of them.

Slower than colossus but keeps the habitat intact.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Because you got nothing you want pop jobs on there first (like mining districts and whatnot) and a trade district you can use to "fill" up jobs until you can get there.

Basically the best way to use Habitats is to use them as extra Building Slots you can just build.

They also come at a point in time where your empire's economy is probably starting to kick into gear, and so they're well-positioned to use for building fleet capacity.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How much fleet cap are you getting for a fortress habitat though?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ilkhan posted:

How much fleet cap are you getting for a fortress habitat though?

Well I believe that you can fit 39 soldiers per habitat while maintaining economic stability, which would be 234 fleet capacity per habitat. That's the equivalent of 6.5 anchorage starbases, with the added benefit of also generating trade, mining, and pop growth. That might be a bit out of date at this point, I haven't tested it recently. Regardless, they're way harder to conquer than a little anchorage, and you can site them strategically by planting them at Bastion chokepoints.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 15, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Aren't habitats like 150 influence? There's a real cost attached to them. Also it's funny how thread consensus is to turn habitable planets down to minimum to make the game bearable, but then don't forget to build extra planets.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Serephina posted:

Aren't habitats like 150 influence? There's a real cost attached to them. Also it's funny how thread consensus is to turn habitable planets down to minimum to make the game bearable, but then don't forget to build extra planets.

Influence is a trade off: If you're running pell mell all over your neighbors and claiming territory left and right, you don't need to build habitats. You can't do everything. And personally I would not turn down habitable planets, since it means that anyone who isn't doing habitat spam is forced to.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Kaal posted:

Influence is a trade off: If you're running pell mell all over your neighbors and claiming territory left and right, you don't need to build habitats. You can't do everything. And personally I would not turn down habitable planets, since it means that anyone who isn't doing habitat spam is forced to.

Having done it myself, not really; with less planets there's a smaller economy at all times (slower snowball, smaller size at endgame crisis etc) and so you're not ever really chomping at the bit for more building slots. The only real difference was "sprawling" across empty space, and that enemy empires are so much easier to eat. Habitats never really had appeal when I could just claim enemy systems and put the alloys into fleets, as you said.

edit: If anything, habitats are *less* appealing as you have the same amount of influence, but nowhere near the alloys. I suppose it depends on what your playstyle finds is its bottleneck.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I mean yes if you gently caress with the economy the hab economy is gonna change.

It's still the jest place to put fortresses (and refineries) though.

Also claims are like, the worst way to actually conquer people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay so the fallen empire finally came after me and did it with 12 fleets that combined power is over 2 million. That's only the big fleets, they have about 40 small fleets around 50k each. The actual problem is its so slow to move ships around.

My shipyards are pumping out battleships at a pace akin to the USSR producing T-34s but getting them to where they need to go is hard. ANd becuase of the dumb war mechanics, i'm going to lose automatically soon.

Though this has literally happened in the last few games, an awakened empire has gobbled up the entire galaxy in a few years and has just too much stuff to be able to stop. Did they increase the chance of this happened to 100% for every game? I haven't seen another crisis beyond this.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 15, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Okay so the fallen empire finally came after me and did it with 12 fleets that combined power is over 2 million. That's only the big fleets, they have about 40 small fleets around 50k each. The actual problem is its so slow to move ships around.

My shipyards are pumping out battleships at a pace akin to the USSR producing T-34s but getting them to where they need to go is hard. ANd becuase of the dumb war mechanics, i'm going to lose automatically soon.

Though this has literally happened in the last few games, an awakened empire has gobbled up the entire galaxy in a few years and has just too much stuff to be able to stop. Did they increase the chance of this happened to 100% for every game? I haven't seen another crisis beyond this.

Have you pumped up the difficulty/crisis setting? That sounds a bit much. You also need to prepare for this stuff early on in this game by building up the fleet cap with, say, fortress habitats and getting to repeatables quick.

Also build some gateways. And use jump drives.

And don't let awakened empires get that big in the first place, strike early if you can.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yami Fenrir posted:

Have you pumped up the difficulty/crisis setting? That sounds a bit much. You also need to prepare for this stuff early on in this game by building up the fleet cap with, say, fortress habitats and getting to repeatables quick.

Also build some gateways. And use jump drives.

And don't let awakened empires get that big in the first place, strike early if you can.

I'm literally playing at the easiest level. Gateways are bad to have everywhere because you cannot control who comes through them. I learned that early on. And yes I was building all of that stuff from the start, but attacking the FE early was not going to happen, as all 3 in the galaxy were on the other side, so i'd have to wage war against a half dozen other empires to attack something that might not even happen.

The thing is, when I could get my fleets into battle, all those corvettes supported by battleship tore through the FE fleets, its just I couldn't get them where they were needed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Gateways are bad to have everywhere because you cannot control who comes through them. I learned that early on.

your enemies cannot use your gates while you are at war. there is no downside to having a comprehensive gate network other than the cost.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jazerus posted:

your enemies cannot use your gates while you are at war. there is no downside to having a comprehensive gate network other than the cost.

once you go to war with them they sure can, unless it was changed or perhaps you have a mod.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jazerus posted:

Wait, I have multiple times enemy fleets come out of them. Like in almost every late game war i've had.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You are mistaken. Gateways (restored or constructed) within your borders cannot be used by anyone you are at war with. Note that system ownership determines control of the gateway, so if you're in a total war and they take the system they will be able to use the gateway to reinforce, but they cannot enter that way in the first place. Wormholes and L-Gates on the other hand are free for alls, so you do have to watch those. Gateways in neutral systems are also free for alls.

Also I have literally never seen an AI awakened ascendancy achieve what you posted in that screen shot. I typically play on Grand Admiral, it's possible that the other AIs being so feeble led to them just steamrolling everyone with no resistance?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 15, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gateways are 100% safe to put everywhere in your borders unless you're loving with them via mods somehow, Pitt is pretty much correct on all accounts.

I put gateways in my chokepoint fortress systems all the time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah put gateways everywhere; certainly in your capital system, and certainly anywhere were you have a shipyard. I also generally stick one in the Terminal Access system inside the L-cluster, immediately adjacent to the L-gate, which allows all your fleets to pass through that too. The pathfinding algorithm is very good at using them all to find the fastest trip.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah put gateways everywhere; certainly in your capital system, and certainly anywhere were you have a shipyard. I also generally stick one in the Terminal Access system inside the L-cluster, immediately adjacent to the L-gate, which allows all your fleets to pass through that too. The pathfinding algorithm is very good at using them all to find the fastest trip.

You've done it, you've found the one thing optimized in this game :v:

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Yami Fenrir posted:

Also claims are like, the worst way to actually conquer people.

Pardon my ignorance but how do you conquer people then with a regular empire?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

twistedmentat posted:

Awakened Empires aren't an endgame crisis, they're a midgame crisis.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SirTagz posted:

Pardon my ignorance but how do you conquer people then with a regular empire?

Like, claims are simple and easy, sure.

Vassalization takes a bit to set up but overall probably SAVES you influence by integrating them. On top of being less of a hassle.

You can also get a total war CB by building a Colossus.

Like, yes, you will probably need to make SOME claims but it's a massive influence sink and slow to fully conquer large empires to boot, unless you are deeply invested into claim discounts. It's only something that is really useful early to mid game.

Or of course can play purifier type empires or assimilators to just circumvent it entirely.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Yami Fenrir posted:

Like, claims are simple and easy, sure.

Vassalization takes a bit to set up but overall probably SAVES you influence by integrating them. On top of being less of a hassle.

You can also get a total war CB by building a Colossus.

Like, yes, you will probably need to make SOME claims but it's a massive influence sink and slow to fully conquer large empires to boot, unless you are deeply invested into claim discounts. It's only something that is really useful early to mid game.

Or of course can play purifier type empires or assimilators to just circumvent it entirely.

Forgot about vassalization. It takes a long time however. The other options are only for endgame or are build specific.

However as I tried to find solid counter arguments to your statement I realized that while I do not think that claims are awful for conquering enemies, I must agree that it is the worst option. There are very few ways to actually take systems from the enemy and the ones you listed all allow to take more space more quickly after a certain point.

Edit: I hope the espionage DLC will not introduce some culture / rebellion popping of systems. Always hated that in Civ

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 15, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SirTagz posted:

Forgot about vassalization. It takes a long time however. The other options are only for endgame or are build specific.

However as I tried to find solid counter arguments to your statement I realized that while I do not think that claims are awful for conquering enemies, I must agree that it is the worst option. There are very few ways to actually take systems from the enemy and the ones you listed all allow to take more space more quickly after a certain point.

Edit: I hope the espionage DLC will not introduce some culture / rebellion popping of systems. Always hated that in Civ

I know it takes long. Honestly, as strange as it sounds I feel like conquering is actually a bit counter productive after a point. The more time you spend conquering the longer you need to wait till it all gets online, especially your research base. Since that's usually a thing you do when you retool your planets anyway, that gets delayed too. Like sure eventually they'll be fully productive but it takes a painfully long time usually.

I much prefer creating some sort of early alliance power block and then defeating the close threats so I'm largely unassailable from threats and then just turtle up. You can do well enough even with 10 planets if you know what you're doing.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Awakened Empires aren't an endgame crisis, they're a midgame crisis.

They're neither. You can have the khan and still have an FE awake, and the usual awakening event (not blowing up a holy world or maybe some other way I can't remember) can happen after endgame year. Midgame crises can happen between midgame start and endgame start (and endgame crises 50 years after endgame start).

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I think the confusion about gateways is that, according to the Stellaris wiki, they can always be accessed by Fallen Empires (and, I assume, by Awakened Empires). I haven't had them awaken close enough to me to find this out the hard way but I guess this is one more good reason to murder them in their sleep.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think the confusion about gateways is that, according to the Stellaris wiki, they can always be accessed by Fallen Empires (and, I assume, by Awakened Empires). I haven't had them awaken close enough to me to find this out the hard way but I guess this is one more good reason to murder them in their sleep.

Murdering fallen empires in their sleep is the pro strat anyway. Not like you gain anything from letting them awaken. Other than miserable hellwar total wars across the entire galaxy once the war in heaven triggers.

First time I've heard about them being able to access them though. I've never seen them use that feature if it exists, and I usually put gateways in my relatively undefended shipyard system too.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think that's only when you're at peace with them, as a side effect of being unable to close your borders with FEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Staltran posted:

I think that's only when you're at peace with them, as a side effect of being unable to close your borders with FEs.

Or maybe this - people at peace can and will use your gateways if you let them, this includes truce timers with your rivals since the borders are forced open.