Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I really like Construction Drones for a faster start. They're ground-based construction bots that are fast but relatively short ranged so you can use them in the early game to make stuff but unlocking regular construction robots is still an upgrade as they fly, can be upgraded so they're significantly faster and are much longer ranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

uPen posted:

I really like Construction Drones for a faster start. They're ground-based construction bots that are fast but relatively short ranged so you can use them in the early game to make stuff but unlocking regular construction robots is still an upgrade as they fly, can be upgraded so they're significantly faster and are much longer ranged.

The pathing is sometimes suspect on them, especially if you use squeak-through, but I use this as well and love it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Krastorio has its own quickstart thing in the mod startup settings which gives you construction bots and a car
e: also:

quote:

Version: 1.0.23
Date: 11.01.2021

Changes:
- Now with AAI industry (same for IR2) installed will be given some medium power poles to connect the crash site machines (in one of the chests on the ground).

This will make the Krastorio+Space Exploration start much less painful, because you can actually use those Krastorio starter machines now (4 assemblers, one lab and a bit of free power generation)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 13, 2021

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

DelphiAegis posted:

The pathing is sometimes suspect on them, especially if you use squeak-through, but I use this as well and love it.

I like to think of that as a feature. They're the early alternative to construction robotics, and just kind of dumb. It's a tradeoff for being able to use them at the start of the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i just started trying to build modules and dear god the lust for green circuits is insatiable

I wonder if I should cut those factories off and get purple science automated first

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

i just started trying to build modules and dear god the lust for green circuits is insatiable

I wonder if I should cut those factories off and get purple science automated first

Depends on what your goal for modules is, but yes. I consider modules an extra bonus rather than a core necessity and would prioritize core factory production over them for now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ciaphas posted:

You can build a couple of module 1 factories (typically productivity) and let them just fill up a chest or two. Sticking those l1 modules in your highest-end factories is still a huge benefit, and the leftover makes a buffer for when you switch over to module 3 production later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My module budget until the launches start is like 4 prod3s for the silo, and 18 prod 2s x 6prod 2s to set up 2x green circuits with modules. Not counting the trickle used to keep 20 green assemblers ready to loginet delivery to me.

You don't need level2-3s until you have a core of green assemblers and or your rocket silo. Beyond that batched budget above is a black hole of circuits you don't want to think about till you have all sciences rolling in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I set up efficiency and speed so I could get mk2 power armor, and drat me but the factory is 100% starved trying to build it all. I think I'll just cut off the level 2 sections

Related question: my copper train is falling behind. Right now it's a double-ended setup of 1-2-1; can I have more cargo wagons, or do I have to stop and convert to a unidirectional train system and add trains?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I rarely see people use efficiency modules late game (I occasionally do, but only in very niche situations like that semi-failed oil generator I built on my last map), you're safe to shut that line down as long as you have the spares to replace your power armor.

As far as rail, I use 1-direction 1-4 trains, I see a lot of 2-4 and 2-8-2s out there but I've never scaled up in track distance or train weight enough to need more than one locomotive. They still get up to speed plenty fast with solid or rocket fuel. Might be worth the 2-8-2s for ore if you aren't processing at the mining site every time, but that depends on factory layout. I would at least switch the 1-2-1 to a 1-4 and convert to one way track if you can. Temporarily can do two parallel tracks and a turnaround at each end (which can convert into a roundabout for expansion).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All of my ore is, as of a few minutes ago, coming from off-site. Sounds like a good time for me to tear down the original smelteries and fix the accidental Belt Nightmare coming from there to the bus

SkyeAuroline posted:

I rarely see people use efficiency modules late game (I occasionally do, but only in very niche situations like that semi-failed oil generator I built on my last map), you're safe to shut that line down as long as you have the spares to replace your power armor.

As far as rail, I use 1-direction 1-4 trains, I see a lot of 2-4 and 2-8-2s out there but I've never scaled up in track distance or train weight enough to need more than one locomotive. They still get up to speed plenty fast with solid or rocket fuel. Might be worth the 2-8-2s for ore if you aren't processing at the mining site every time, but that depends on factory layout. I would at least switch the 1-2-1 to a 1-4 and convert to one way track if you can. Temporarily can do two parallel tracks and a turnaround at each end (which can convert into a roundabout for expansion).

Yeah I just kinda realized efficiency isn't gonna be terribly useful so I'll swap that to production once I have enough f or my power armor. Might be worth prod 1s in my gold/purple science assemblers, I guess

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 13, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Probably smart, yeah. I can't offer good recommendations for building the unloading and processing infrastructure, if I need speed I use a borrowed unloader design & if I don't I just use a very simplistic layout that doesn't take much effort. But larger trains and one way traffic will help a lot, both in terms of throughput and in terms of signal complexity/system building.

On that note, I also do recommend trying to build railroad infrastructure yourself but there's no shame in borrowing an established intersection design, efficient rail intersections are a hard task. (Inefficient ones are easy and will keep you running for a very long time though.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I need to figure out balanced unloaders, too - my current one is not only imbalanced between lanes but the chests within a lane are emptying at different rates and fudging things

My ingame ToDo list is long enough to have to scroll :gonk:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I might seem really particular about WIP and production control but I'm balanced in that my approach to belt balancing is to weave a bunch of splitters together until I visibly see the source is working at entitlement/not stuttering. Where's it going? Don't care, something is obviously using it if everything is moving again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

I need to figure out balanced unloaders, too - my current one is not only imbalanced between lanes but the chests within a lane are emptying at different rates and fudging things

The easy way is to wire so that the inserters only unload if they can all unload. You can manage that without circuitry but it has to be set up in a pretty specific manner I haven't figured out yet. I'm sure there are other smart solutions I don't know too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm off work and back in factorio and I have no idea what i was doing even with the todo list :eng99:

deltah
Sep 28, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If a specific unload chest only feeds into a specific lane then (I think) you'll want a lane balanced belt balancer to finally join all the belts together. There are very reasonable 1, 2, 4, and 8 lane + belt balancers out there.

You probably don't need this (there is some debate if lane balancers matter), but it ended up mattering for my base because I was requesting trains when the buffer was lower than 2 trains worth and with a non-lane balanced unloader I was getting half belts because exactly half the chests were full while half were empty and so I wouldn't request a train until I was already down to half lanes.

There are versions of unloaders were 1 chest has 2 inserters each feeding a different lane at which point this isn't a problem.

edit: I have no idea if circuit balancing would have fixed my problem or not ... again a single chest can only feed a single lane so I can't really reason it through in my head

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It occurs to me I could just use four chests per side at the unloader, yeah. Was scratching my head at how six or twelve inserters could balance into 4 with our splitters.

I also thought about putting all 12 stack inserters per wagon into active provider chests, with requester chests feeding onto the bus? seems over-engineered as gently caress, but also kinda cool

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

It occurs to me I could just use four chests per side at the unloader, yeah. Was scratching my head at how six or twelve inserters could balance into 4 with our splitters.

I also thought about putting all 12 stack inserters per wagon into active provider chests, with requester chests feeding onto the bus? seems over-engineered as gently caress, but also kinda cool

I do four per side personally. "Slower" unloading but it gives me a lot more room to work with for the actual unloader setup and that extra room usually matters more to throughput than the other 2/4 chests will.

Active provider-requester unloads can be really, really effective with a LOT of bots in the area and isolating it from your main logistics net. Don't want your mountain of bots wandering off or weird reservation interactions. I can't imagine it wouldn't murder UPS though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I'm finally starting to understand the scale I need to build at :kiddo: (yeah I realize there's a lot of wasted space esp. around the substations)

Is there any easy answer to "how much is enough"? I mean, not on a per-manufacturing-line basis, but if I'm laying out a new base, how many 'lanes' of each type of plate do I want to aim for, etc.

I don't know the mid-late game well enough to know how much of things I'm going to need beyond the point of e.g. advanced oil processing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

It comes down to what you want to target as "enough", really. Factorio ratios mean the easiest way to determine that is by figuring out your end goals and calculating backwards from there; there's not really a "minimum production" for most things (except ammo or power against biter swarms, and fuel for non solar power plants), because ultimately everything will keep producing, just potentially very slowly. (The exceptions have pretty immediately visible causes.) When in doubt, overbuilding is rarely detrimental.

I know that's not terribly helpful, but by the point in the game in question, it largely transitions to "what are your goals as a player".

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think I'm finally starting to understand the scale I need to build at :kiddo: (yeah I realize there's a lot of wasted space esp. around the substations)

Is there any easy answer to "how much is enough"? I mean, not on a per-manufacturing-line basis, but if I'm laying out a new base, how many 'lanes' of each type of plate do I want to aim for, etc.

I don't know the mid-late game well enough to know how much of things I'm going to need beyond the point of e.g. advanced oil processing.

I think this is one of those mystical questions that has no answer. Enough? More?

Also that's not wasted space! That's room for future spaghetti!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I would say that 4 lines each of copper and iron is the standard for a small bus base. You can expand it easily by setting up separate smelting for your green circuit production and your steel production. Something like 4 lanes of circuits and 1 lane of steel.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How do bus lanes and train unloading usually correlate, e.g. for plates? 1 wagon->1 lane or some other combination?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

How do bus lanes and train unloading usually correlate, e.g. for plates? 1 wagon->1 lane or some other combination?
Either 1 lane per wagon or 2 lanes per wagons are the most common.
I personally prefer to have 2 or 4 lanes per train independent of wagon count, to make infra train balancing easier.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I generally don't think about that too much. Adding wagons to trains is really annoying so I overbuild most train stations. A full train that takes 20 minutes to unload doesn't have any negative impact. If you are running out of stuff then add more trains or increase production in your outposts so that trains aren't waiting as long to fill up. Adding stack inserters to all train stops can help if you don't have them. And checking your signals so that a second train can enter the station the second the first train leaves can help a bit if you're nearing the maximum limits of unloading. If you still aren't getting enough stuff then you can consider unloading from both sides of the train if you aren't already. And if you STILL aren't getting enough stuff then create a second station that adds stuff further along your base.

If uranium is a long way from anywhere I might make a one or two wagon train for it but everything else goes in 2-4 trains. Some people go up to a 2-8-2 train but that's probably overkill for a beginner. It really helps build your train system if you decide on a maximum length you'll use for trains and place your signals accordingly. And make sure that you leave lots of room around train stations so that you can have a few trains waiting without disrupting the rest of your trains. That can be a stacker if you're fancy or just a really long track off your main train lines.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Just depends on your needs. Train unloading should always happen directly into storage with as much unloading capacity as you can give it (12 stack inserters in vanilla, or 6 if you only can fit one side or if it's not super high-volume). This lets trains enter and leave the station as fast as possible to get back to loading at whatever outpost/mine. Then from that storage you just pull off as many lanes as you need. In most cases that will end up being 1-6 but you could theoretically go higher if you really needed to.

Personally I always found this to be a little annoying in vanilla so I always have the miniloader mod with some larger storage containers just to make train unloading a little less tedious, but the principle is the same.

Later on if you're doing a bot base, you'll just unload directly into active providers that get instantly unloaded by bots into storage containers, so you can get a literal constant stream of trains pulling into the station without waiting for belts to keep up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

It annoys me that krastorio's loaders don't work with trains.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LLSix posted:

Just install the miniloader mod, they override the krastorio ones and do work with trains.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Taffer posted:

Just install the miniloader mod, they override the krastorio ones and do work with trains.

I tried to get miniloaders to work with trains a long time ago and they didn't.. and I've never tried again... this will completely change my world!

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Did the author ever explain why they dont work with trains? Because thats one of the main uses of loaders iirc.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Communist Zombie posted:

Did the author ever explain why they dont work with trains? Because thats one of the main uses of loaders iirc.

I believe it's because normal loaders (that krastorio and deadlock's loaders use) are a single Loader entity, whereas miniloaders are a pair of very fast inserters and some belt that all get placed together.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Version 1.1.9 changelog posted:

Minor Features
Added smart belt dragging option that unlocks 2 fundamental features for belt building and is enabled by default: 1) Rotating while belt dragging can be used to build belt segments faster. 2) Automatic underground belt placement when obstacle is encountered.

http://awau.moe/27iMUmC.webm

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Tesla was right posted:

I believe it's because normal loaders (that krastorio and deadlock's loaders use) are a single Loader entity, whereas miniloaders are a pair of very fast inserters and some belt that all get placed together.

Yup, this is correct. The miniloaders even have a swing speed if you mouse over them.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Just when I was dreading missing this feature the next time I come back to factorio from mindustry.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tamba posted:

Belt mania..

:thumbsup: holy moly! They just keep making things better.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

I tried to get miniloaders to work with trains a long time ago and they didn't.. and I've never tried again... this will completely change my world!

I should note on the "overriding k2 loaders thing", I have zero idea if they'll actually replace existing loaders in the world/inventories, they may not. Just in a fresh k2 game with miniloaders installed, I never see k2 loaders. So proceed with caution if you install the mod midgame.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

welp i'm done with my current factory and moving to experimental I guess :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Taffer posted:

I should note on the "overriding k2 loaders thing", I have zero idea if they'll actually replace existing loaders in the world/inventories, they may not. Just in a fresh k2 game with miniloaders installed, I never see k2 loaders. So proceed with caution if you install the mod midgame.

Thanks, my current non-Krastorio game has had miniloaders from day 1, just never tried to make them work on a train. I shall test!

I am feeling the urge to fire up a Krastorio game though, never really got very far in a K2 game, but got super deep into a K1 game and really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Ciaphas posted:

welp i'm done with my current factory and moving to experimental I guess :v:

Always play on experimental. Also there's no reason you can't just keep playing with the new features, Factorio save portability is also excellent.