Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

TheRat posted:

Seems she has a history of ~interesting tweets~

Ah the ‘literally make no sense’ tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

Strangest thing is I've seen barely any of the recent (i.e. past 10 years) scientific research on sex and gender diversity given a mainstream platform in the UK, and yet these 'silenced' gender criticals seem to be given platforms loving everywhere.

Getting cancelled is the best career move you can make. It's only once you've been ruthlessly silenced by the libs and globalists that people actually start listening to you

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Wachter posted:

Getting cancelled is the best career move you can make. It's only once you've been outed as a massive oval office that total cunts actually start throwing money at you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol Joe Biden has unveiled a $2tn relief bill to handle the pandemic meanwhile labour are talking up austerity

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

Lol Joe Biden has unveiled a $2tn relief bill to handle the pandemic meanwhile labour are talking up austerity

I thought even the IMF had come out against austerity.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bessantj posted:

Our politicians are part of a death cult

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

The labour right are extremely loving useless

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Not just talking up austerity...

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1349828299166535681?s=19

... apparently they're criticising the timing of changes to working hours regs too. So Good To Have A Proper Opposition Again

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Coming in 2022: the inaugural CancelledCon, the only place to hear the truth you aren't allowed to hear! All 20,000 tickets expected to sell out in the first hour. This is a mask-free event

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

The centrists are already using this as proof that you should campaign without mentioning any vaguely left wing economic policies, and then surprise people with them once you're in power. It goes without saying that that's what they're certain Keith is doing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

if NIP have a candidate in my constituency next election i'll vote for them otherwise i'm just not going to bother i think
Spoil your ballot at a minimum IMO

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wonder if there will ever be a breaking point where the average Brit says this is too much. A 48 hour working week lol labour were offering a 4 day week

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

The labour right are extremely loving Tories

Fixed that for you.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I wonder if there will ever be a breaking point where the average Brit says this is too much.

I'm now of the opinion that as long as they can be convinced that:

a) their new suffering is for the sake of some Greater Good which will come along at some indefinite time
b) that some other group is suffering more than whatever group they identify as

there is no point at which the average Brit of 2020 will decide that it's too much.

quote:

A 48 hour working week lol labour were offering a 4 day week

How r u going 2 pay 4 it JERMIY lol! If I wanted 2 work part time I wud have got a part thyme job FFS! Need 2 live in the reel world like Bozza [Union Flag]!!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cant wait for the mandatory 50 hour weeks at basic rate pay and a reduction in holiday allowance.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah an increase in the working week will either re-energise the unions into fighting organisations or destroy them utterly.

Let's see how it goes...

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

BalloonFish posted:

a) their new suffering is for the sake of some Greater Good which will come along at some indefinite time

There's a haunting similitude between these two posts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BalloonFish posted:

Not just talking up austerity...

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1349828299166535681?s=19

... apparently they're criticising the timing of changes to working hours regs too. So Good To Have A Proper Opposition Again

I hope every single Tory voter has to do a 100 hour week now, the cunts. Especially the working class ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As ever it is people who don't work and never had to work a long week voting that everyone else should have to because they are convinced that they won world war 2 by doing that.

If tory policies applied to tory voters the world would be a better place.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

bessantj posted:

The Labour right are the worst human beings imaginable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If tory policies applied to tory voters the world would be a better place.
It'd certainly rapidly resolve the capital punishment debate.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vitamin P posted:

The Labour right are the worst human beings imaginable.

Counterpoint: The conservative party exists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But it is easier to discharge your hatred of them openly, whereas the labour right is such a cringing sack of poo poo that there is simply no way to express the mixture of hatred and contempt adequately.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

The labour right are extremely loving useless

Their brains do appear to be sacks of poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

I wonder if there will ever be a breaking point where the average Brit says this is too much. A 48 hour working week lol labour were offering a 4 day week

Four 12-hour days :colbert:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

BalloonFish posted:

I'm now of the opinion that as long as they can be convinced that:

b) that some other group is suffering more than whatever group they identify as

We sell more hours to them than they buy from us. If our working week is 48 hours, it will be ten times as long over there.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

The Conservative Party are like if orcs were real, they're this inhuman amorphous horde of disgusting creatures that the DM only made so the heroes have something to vanquish, if we happened to be something other than late-capitalist then tories would be servants of the authoritarian state or the theocracy or the night king or whatever they're just a no-soul black mold that destroys things. The Labour right make a pretence at humanity though, they pretend at acknowledging empathy, decency, national functioning etc before they nope it all so you are right, the tories are worse human beings than the Labour right are, but the Labour right annoy me more.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

sebzilla posted:

Four 12-hour days :colbert:

To be fair, I used to work that shift pattern back in the noughties, and it loving ruled. Managed to swing it so I had every Friday off. (Though I would admittedly spend most of that day asleep, so I could enjoy the weekend properly)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

As ever it is people who don't work and never had to work a long week voting that everyone else should have to because they are convinced that they won world war 2 by doing that.

:hai: :(

It's such a distilled-essence-of-Tory idea as well. There is a whole mountain range of evidence going back years that, on average, British workers work more hours than others in Europe while our national productivity has been utter poo poo by comparison for decades.

So the solution is obviously to force folk to work more hours in shittier conditions for less money.

Of course it's because they don't give a toss about productivity, just short term avarice.

Within living memory the Conservative Party actually understood that, as the party of capital, business and consumerism, it was actually in its own interest to pay the labour force enough to motivate them and allow them to participate in the consumer bit of the system that the Tories relied on to keep their power and wealth flowing. The same went for working conditions, social services and national infrastructure - you didn't want anyone to get crazy ideas above their station or risk the sanctity of private property or the ability to make a profit, of course, but there was a recognition that capitalism needed a degree of stewardship and redistribution for it to work most effectively and sustainably.

Now they don't even pretend to give the tiniest poo poo about any of that - sell off anything going, hand out £billions to your mates, funnel all the money upwards and out of the general economy until it collapses in on itself like a sinkhole, grind down any barriers to immediate profit and sod actual measurable productivity in the economy of things.

The modern Conservative Party is worse for everything - including actual capitalism - than 2015-19 Labour was or would have been. That's partly why there was a period when the FT seemed positively keen on the 2017/18 Labour platform.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

The Tories will offer a 4-day working week too - once you finish your 96 continuous hours of work your time is your own! Starmer will try to amend it to allow a 20 minute break around hour 48 then reluctantly abstain, a Guardian editorial will praise his forensic, grown-up performance.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Tories are shitlords right in your face, Blue Labour will pretend that they're sad while doing the exact same things, which is just adding insult to injury. Also they're occupying seats that are almost universally safe and could be occupied by people who actually looked at the name of the party when they signed up, and so are actually more of an active impediment to change than the Tories.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Toryism with a constipated face

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tories are shitlords right in your face, Blue Labour will pretend that they're sad while doing the exact same things, which is just adding insult to injury. Also they're occupying seats that are almost universally safe and could be occupied by people who actually looked at the name of the party when they signed up, and so are actually more of an active impediment to change than the Tories.

Yeah that's a big part of it, the Labour right are also blocking a potential vector for positive change by just squatting there with a red rosette on not doing anything. There's a reason that when Thatcher was asked what her greatest triumph was she said "Blair and New Labour," the lass was not stupid.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ironically safe because they're constituencies with a generally more marginalised electorate who'd have the most to gain from the sort of labour policies their MP is dead set against.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

BalloonFish posted:

:hai: :(

It's such a distilled-essence-of-Tory idea as well. There is a whole mountain range of evidence going back years that, on average, British workers work more hours than others in Europe while our national productivity has been utter poo poo by comparison for decades.

So the solution is obviously to force folk to work more hours in shittier conditions for less money.

Of course it's because they don't give a toss about productivity, just short term avarice.

Within living memory the Conservative Party actually understood that, as the party of capital, business and consumerism, it was actually in its own interest to pay the labour force enough to motivate them and allow them to participate in the consumer bit of the system that the Tories relied on to keep their power and wealth flowing. The same went for working conditions, social services and national infrastructure - you didn't want anyone to get crazy ideas above their station or risk the sanctity of private property or the ability to make a profit, of course, but there was a recognition that capitalism needed a degree of stewardship and redistribution for it to work most effectively and sustainably.

Now they don't even pretend to give the tiniest poo poo about any of that - sell off anything going, hand out £billions to your mates, funnel all the money upwards and out of the general economy until it collapses in on itself like a sinkhole, grind down any barriers to immediate profit and sod actual measurable productivity in the economy of things.

The modern Conservative Party is worse for everything - including actual capitalism - than 2015-19 Labour was or would have been. That's partly why there was a period when the FT seemed positively keen on the 2017/18 Labour platform.

Which then leads to the question: "What is the end goal?" What do they see happening when they've drained everything? What do they hope the country to be after all this, presuming they do get everything they want? I can't understand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably themselves not being affected by it and much richer for the time spent stealing.

I guess more specifically there are two general possibilities.

Either they are entirely submerged in their ideology, they actually think that handing out money to their mates is the best way to run the country, that they are the best people for the job, that their mates are the best people because they think they are and they couldn't possibly be wrong. Or in this same vein the possibility that actual ability to deliver results is secondary to keeping things "in the family" so to speak, all of this I would put under the heading of something like "autocentric systems focused governance" whereby "systems focused governance" is the idea that the ideal system of governance has already been figured out and all we need to do is keep doing it until it produces the best result, this is an idea that market fetishists seem to subscribe to and is a common liberal position. The autocentric form simply appends "I am the ideal governor" to that, so your understanding of the system must be correct and also any changes you think must be made must be correct, and as these freaks usually have some sort of hypercapitalist market fetishism combined with living lives entirely based on nepotism and connections then their governing style becomes basically a mix of incompetence, nepotism, hypercapitalism, and aristocracy, because that is what they are products of and they go on to reflect all of that back onto their environment. They are not competent people, they are bottom of the barrel failsons of wealth and privilege and none of them actually understand the reality of the world on a conscious level, they are brimming with fairytale ideas of how things work and drift through life in a haze of expensive alcohol and privilege and that basically colours everything they do, they are certain that they should govern and that they are in fact the best people to govern, because they are the finest sons of the finest lineage of the finest country, but they don't actually know how to, so they are like particularly stupid children in a sandpit, except the sandpit is the country. They have no actual understanding of how to do anything but an absolute rock certainty that anything they do will be the best possible thing anyone could do. That the world needs them and their input.

The other possibility is that they believe their society is a sham and are just nakedly out to do whatever they want and whatever makes them rich, I don't really believe this one is the more likely conscious ideology but I think elements of it show through because it is probably closer to the actual reality of the situation, so when pushed or when there is the opportunity for real self interest this is what they will slip into. I don't think they spend most of their time thinking that way though because if you actually primarily believed that then it would struggle to explain some of the purely ideological stuff the government does. I think they have an affirmative vision for how the country is and should be, it's just utterly divorced from reality.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 15, 2021

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bloodly posted:

Which then leads to the question: "What is the end goal?" What do they see happening when they've drained everything? What do they hope the country to be after all this, presuming they do get everything they want? I can't understand.

The thing is they lack the imagination, or perhaps the daring, to see that far ahead. Things won't change, not really, in their eyes - everyone will keep plodding along and they and their mates will keep getting their money and that'll be that. They don't comprehend that there might be a breaking point where they end up getting Romanov'd - if they do think of the possibility they either assume the force of the state will remain loyal or that they'll be able to sod off to elsewhere and not really lose much - or that there may be disruptive events that ruin things.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Expressing an opinion in the soprano Vs satc "debate" is only padding Hadley Freeman's engagement stats on her thought leadership CV, dont do it, have a wank or something

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Capitalism is inherently short-sighted, having stuff in the here-and-now trumps any kind of long-term thinking. It’s why shareholders always oust CEOs who will forgo short-term profits in lieu of future stability and why conservative parties around the world are going all-in on ‘reopen the economy’ when these policies actually cause more damage that short lockdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Noxville posted:

Capitalism is inherently short-sighted, having stuff in the here-and-now trumps any kind of long-term thinking.
From the manager's perspective: increase value in the short-term; get promoted & move somewhere else; leave someone else to reap the long-term shitstorm you've sown
From the shareholder's perspective: increase value in the short-term; sell seLL SELL
From nobody's perspective: take a slight hit in the short term to sow the seeds of long-term growth; get fired for not hitting short-term targets; watch someone else get the credit for your work (or, more commonly, burn it to the ground)

There must be some snappy business studies buzzword for at least the first one of these