Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

this reminds me of the time in the eighth grade when my girlfriend broke up with me and they didn't even need to rename the characters in a video game to recreate it. she has the same name as a tekken character and so do i. a bunch of us were together and one our mutual friends fired up tekken and said "oh look, this character has the same name as your ex, and look! here's you!" and she had me play the guy with my name and she played the character with my ex's name. it was the first time i had ever played tekken and she kicked my rear end, just brutally kicked my guy in the balls over and over again, and she was like "oh look, it's just like what happened to you last friday!" and i was trying so hard not to cry that i had to leave. i've still never played any version of tekken again to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
games pops picked out: castlevania, blades of steel, mega man 2, contra

games i picked out: wolverine, bart vs the world, home alone 2, festers quest

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

The Milkman posted:

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Milkman posted:

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Milkman posted:

with age comes experience and wisdom

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

My dad was the manager at my local blockbuster which might make you think that I got to play all sorts of games but really what he did was take them home after a shift, play it over night, and then bring it right back before I actually got to play it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Plebian Parasite posted:

My dad was the manager at my local blockbuster which might make you think that I got to play all sorts of games but really what he did was take them home after a shift, play it over night, and then bring it right back before I actually got to play it.

lol

gamer dad didnt want this path for you, but it was inevitable

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Milkman posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thinking back th e only game my mom ever got for me new without my brother or me weighing in was quest 64

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol whoops

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The kid who lived across the street owned Fester's Quest and we pumped an unreasonable number of hours into it, mostly just farming in the sewers for gun upgrades.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

this reminds me of the time in the eighth grade when my girlfriend broke up with me and they didn't even need to rename the characters in a video game to recreate it. she has the same name as a tekken character and so do i. a bunch of us were together and one our mutual friends fired up tekken and said "oh look, this character has the same name as your ex, and look! here's you!" and she had me play the guy with my name and she played the character with my ex's name. it was the first time i had ever played tekken and she kicked my rear end, just brutally kicked my guy in the balls over and over again, and she was like "oh look, it's just like what happened to you last friday!" and i was trying so hard not to cry that i had to leave. i've still never played any version of tekken again to this day.

Lmao

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
At least one kid in every neighborhood had Fester's Quest. I think my mom bought the used copy from Action Video at my begging. I don't even think the Addams Family movie was out yet, something about that box art was just irresistible to kids

Also the Nintendo Power made it look like a top-down Zelda game. I guess it kind of was, but every kid got owned.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i had the addams family movie nes game and i really liked it and was VERY disappointed when i later got festers quest, but i think we got it from a used game store for a dollar or two

festers quest is a painful game for many kids of that era because it was probably the first they had where you could be a nitpick critic nerd and figure out whats wrong with it at like 8 years old and yell how it should be fixed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
At the local YMCA they had a game room with some arcade machines and one of them was a Play Choice 10 or whatever with the SNES games and I remember watching the attract screens for Addam's Family and Fatal Fury Special over and over and over again as a kid.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

regular Addams Family is alright for an Ocean game, I rented that on purpose a few times. one of those your rent again once your parents got you the Game Genie for christmas so you can finally see the ending

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was 8 I went to visit my family in Ireland and my cousins had the Addams Family game for SNES and it wasn't bad. I was fascinated by the PAL SNES design

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The best adams family game was the pinball table

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Festers Quest is not good but the alien invasion and having that gun is still cool

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
My parents never rented me games but I did constantly rent “Body Harvest” for N64 despite my parents wishes.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

my dad was never even slightly interested in games and I always wished he was but I think this would have been worse

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

denied the experience of enjoying The Mask™, the official video game tie-in for the hit movie by New Line Cinema, by my night owl gamer dad

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Brasseye posted:

my dad was never even slightly interested in games and I always wished he was but I think this would have been worse

He bought an N64 on release and then reminded me that due to my grades I could only play it on weekends, he then proceeded to play it all day on the weekends.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my two brothers and I got $2 of allowance a week and all three of us saved up our money when we heard the Nintendo Ultra 64 was coming out in nintendo power magazine so we could buy it at launch, just for ourselves.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i lived in alaska when i was a kid, which means you get money for living theere to offset the fact that the oil companies are cornholing the state. i begged my mom for weeks to use some of that money to buy a nintendo 64 and it was the most badass day when she finally gave in

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

all moms love Dr. Mario. You hit a certain age and you just love Dr. Mario. Beating the poo poo out of your son who got Dr. Mario from saving up Kool Aid Points, just schooling him relentlessly.

don't let your mom know you got Dr. Mario on game boy too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tato posted:

all moms love Dr. Mario. You hit a certain age and you just love Dr. Mario. Beating the poo poo out of your son who got Dr. Mario from saving up Kool Aid Points, just schooling him relentlessly.

don't let your mom know you got Dr. Mario on game boy too

extremely relatable post

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My Mom has, to my memory, played two video games of her own free will: Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

My Mom has, to my memory, played two video games of her own free will: Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure.

Sexy mom humble brag? Now I've seen it all

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wii fit and brain age are definitely also Mom games

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i lived in alaska when i was a kid, which means you get money for living theere to offset the fact that the oil companies are cornholing the state. i begged my mom for weeks to use some of that money to buy a nintendo 64 and it was the most badass day when she finally gave in

drat, alaska sounds badass

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

It is.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

it ws except i got ocarina of time a month after everyone else and i didnt even get a gold cartridge :pwn:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bicyclops posted:

wii fit and brain age are definitely also Mom games

Mom had a DS lite and two games: brain age and cooking mama and played them until she got an iphone

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

He bought an N64 on release and then reminded me that due to my grades I could only play it on weekends, he then proceeded to play it all day on the weekends.

:whitewater:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I had a subscription to Nintendo Power as a kid and hoo boy did it lead to me renting a lot of lovely games that looked cool in the magazine. Blast Corps. Quest 64. Superman 64.

Also I owned both that weird Faceball 2000 game and Claymates on SNES.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

I had a subscription to Nintendo Power as a kid and hoo boy did it lead to me renting a lot of lovely games that looked cool in the magazine. Blast Corps. Quest 64. Superman 64.

Also I owned both that weird Faceball 2000 game and Claymates on SNES.

blast corps kicks rear end, coward

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
wtf blast corps was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

did James Pond exist outside of rentals? Was it actually good like I imagined as a kid or lovely like it must have actually been