Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s this build, I found it (after looking up where it is). The thing you’re looking for is further away than you’d think.
Someone posted a nice short guide on the kharaa cure wiki page the last 5 days, well after I'd originally played it at the start of vacation. Yeah, I don't think I would have ever found it otherwise even if I thought "nearby" meant further than the adjacent area, I wouldn't have had the patience to search every wall and something about the above sea level canyons gets me hopelessly lost all the time.

uPen posted:

If you're carrying a beacon when you die the beacon will activate to lead you back to your stuff.
Stumbling rear end first into the leviathan that killed you a few hours ago because you didn't realize this was how it works was quite an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Serephina posted:

I'd like to thank everyone for being so diligent about the BZ spoiler tags. I know a lot of us won't be getting the game until 1.0, or probably until a few months after when we have time etc. Cheers guys!

Came to say the same thing, thanks peeps.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Another Below Zero question, I suppose I'm mid-way? I just went into the anemone leviathan and got the spiral plant so now I have prawn and seatruck v2 depth upgrades. I have no green alien artifact points left to explore and I just met the lady in her glacial greenhouse and she told me to get a pda log which would 'point me in the right direction'. I got 2 logs from her greenhouse and one is with her and sam talking, and she told Sam to blow something up in a cave, and that she'd destroy the lab herself. I see no new points on my map. What am I supposed to do? could you give me some spoiler-free hints? Or maybe I just missed another pickup?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

redreader posted:

Another Below Zero question, I suppose I'm mid-way? I just went into the anemone leviathan and got the spiral plant so now I have prawn and seatruck v2 depth upgrades. I have no green alien artifact points left to explore and I just met the lady in her glacial greenhouse and she told me to get a pda log which would 'point me in the right direction'. I got 2 logs from her greenhouse and one is with her and sam talking, and she told Sam to blow something up in a cave, and that she'd destroy the lab herself. I see no new points on my map. What am I supposed to do? could you give me some spoiler-free hints? Or maybe I just missed another pickup?

I dont remember order of things so well, I explore so much I think I always get the story out of order.
If you've been to the greenhouse on the ice, then you have passed the lily pads.
Try exploring more in between here and there.
Hmm, did you check out all the PDAs in both her bases?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

I dont remember order of things so well, I explore so much I think I always get the story out of order.
If you've been to the greenhouse on the ice, then you have passed the lily pads.
Try exploring more in between here and there.
Hmm, did you check out all the PDAs in both her bases?

Ok, if the lily pads are the floating islands then yes, I've found them. I didn't put a beacon down at the greenhouse base, and I realise I've been going all around the map I know, which is demarcated by beacons, but there's about 800 meters in the greenhouse direction with no beacons so I've never been going in that direction. I'll go there, drop a beacon, and then find the edge of the world and explore within it. Thanks! I forgot about that area!

In the original I looked at a map fairly early on and found a lot of biomes I'd missed. I want to try to not do that right now.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

redreader posted:

Ok, if the lily pads are the floating islands then yes, I've found them. I didn't put a beacon down at the greenhouse base, and I realise I've been going all around the map I know, which is demarcated by beacons, but there's about 800 meters in the greenhouse direction with no beacons so I've never been going in that direction. I'll go there, drop a beacon, and then find the edge of the world and explore within it. Thanks! I forgot about that area!

In the original I looked at a map fairly early on and found a lot of biomes I'd missed. I want to try to not do that right now.

She has another base, if you poke around there (and go down) you'll find the next area.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I got to the current BZ end, what a kick in the pants. Even knowing it was an invisible wall, just the way it's blocked off instead of being flush.

I have no idea what y'all are talking about with the khara cure? frozen leviathan? I built ALAN's body and he pointed me to the teleporter, at some point there was a line where my character said she'd been vaccinated?. Did I miss half the plot?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ethics_Gradient posted:

She has another base, if you poke around there (and go down) you'll find the next area.

Thanks for this. I had *no idea* where to go next, I got my wife to look up the location of the lab and I went there and scanned some useful things but it didn't advance the plot at all. I then went back to the place you mentioned and wow, a whole new area! There are a couple of things I really want that would make me happy, but I've got 1 of 2 parts of them scanned and I don't remember where I got them to search for the rest, so I'll probably start looking up spoilers soon prawn suit docking module for seatruck, grappling arm for prawn suit.

Am I near the end of the game, or not really? It seems like the original had a better map. This map has a lot of shallow areas, a couple of deep areas, and a lot of hidden caves. The original had more deep open areas and huge beautiful bits like the mushroom forest, jellyshroom caves, etc from what I can recall. Also I haven't done much stuff on the surface, and it seems like there's stuff that'll probably happen there but I haven't seen any places to go on the surface other than that one cache, the satellite base, the one artifact area, and the plant greenhouse base on the glacier

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

redreader posted:

Thanks for this. I had *no idea* where to go next, I got my wife to look up the location of the lab and I went there and scanned some useful things but it didn't advance the plot at all. I then went back to the place you mentioned and wow, a whole new area! There are a couple of things I really want that would make me happy, but I've got 1 of 2 parts of them scanned and I don't remember where I got them to search for the rest, so I'll probably start looking up spoilers soon prawn suit docking module for seatruck, grappling arm for prawn suit.

Am I near the end of the game, or not really? It seems like the original had a better map. This map has a lot of shallow areas, a couple of deep areas, and a lot of hidden caves. The original had more deep open areas and huge beautiful bits like the mushroom forest, jellyshroom caves, etc from what I can recall. Also I haven't done much stuff on the surface, and it seems like there's stuff that'll probably happen there but I haven't seen any places to go on the surface other than that one cache, the satellite base, the one artifact area, and the plant greenhouse base on the glacier

Not a big spoiler (just mentioning a biome name), but for fragments I've found the Deep Lilypads to be a good place to look.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

JawnV6 posted:

I have no idea what y'all are talking about with the khara cure? frozen leviathan? I built ALAN's body and he pointed me to the teleporter, at some point there was a line where my character said she'd been vaccinated?. Did I miss half the plot?
Yeah, the first is just a short barely anything optional scene, but Subnautica doesn't have many of those to begin with. The second is a major plot point.

Somewhere in the Altera base just before the invisible wall, there's a chat log from Sam where she mentions hiding the Krahaa cure in a crawlspace near the frozen leviathan. There's no waypoint, but the area referred to is the above sea level icy canyons where the extendable bridge and Phi robotics is located. If you haven't been around there, I'd find the frozen leviathan first. The cure is actually 2 canyons / ~350m away, so I'm inclined to say just look that one up if you're starting to get frustrated.

If you start at the life pod and head midway between southwest and west, you'll run into a bunch of jellyfish below an iceberg. There's multiple ways up above the ice if you explore around. I think they all link together above ground eventually, although intentionally navigating between them can be confusing.

Someone on the wiki named HylianMom has been posting really good no frills navigation guides to various points of interest the last couple days, too.

Edit: nuked the YouTube links. I tagged them as url links, but apparently the mobile app still parses them as videos and the title screens themselves are spoilery

yook fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 15, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

JawnV6 posted:

I got to the current BZ end, what a kick in the pants. Even knowing it was an invisible wall, just the way it's blocked off instead of being flush.

"Finished" my playthrough of the current build last night, had much the same reaction as you. The unceremonious invisible walls around what I presume to be the final room before triggering the ending cutscene are kind of a letdown, but it's good that they have the entire game besides that fully complete and playable. The frozen leviathan is somewhere on the surface around the same area with the snow worms, I went there when I played in an earlier build but haven't found it this time around. Going to explore as much of the snow worm area as I can until I find everything then I'll be done until the finished product comes out.

Not really a spoiler, but the land sections were bad in the first game and are kind of worse this time around. The area with the snow worms is too big and all looks the same, it's hard to tell if there's still more to explore or if I'm just going around in circles. The Snowfox makes it a bit better but I still find myself frequently disoriented.

Overall I still don't think the game is quite as good as the first mainly on account of the map being smaller and less interesting to explore, but besides that the experience is much the same and certainly worth getting if you liked the original. It still feels more like a DLC with a lot of effort put into it rather than entirely new game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
For Subnautica the Nitrox multiplayer mod was updated and it's a world of difference between the janky state it was in a month ago. Things are synced between the players much better now, the plot points correctly populate for both, tools/items/materials and of course Base Building is also in sync.

The only issues we've run into so far are more inline with the normal subnautica stuff. eg. Wrecks not being fully loaded in, seamoths changing position and being consumed by terrain, invisible walls etc. It's a fun co-op experience. I'd highly recommend it.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Does that mod exist for the original only or is it also available for BZ?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DrDraxium posted:

Came to say the same thing, thanks peeps.

Also agreeing. Is there a 1.0 timeline for this?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Also agreeing. Is there a 1.0 timeline for this?

October 31, 2019. :)

Who even knows at this point. I'd like to believe that the latest update means we're close to a final 1.0 release, but it's Unknown Worlds so anything goes I guess.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know. I was into subnautica when it was in early access, and they did actually finish the game properly and came out with it. They took a while to release it but it got done. From what I've seen of below zero, they've done a fantastic job here too. It may not be finished within a few months but it will probably be finished this year IMO. I'm guessing it'll be done before June.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

yook posted:

Yeah, the first is just a short barely anything optional scene, but Subnautica doesn't have many of those to begin with. The second is a major plot point.
Somewhere
Huh, if I get the urge to load it up again I'll go take a look.

The BZ map is certainly different. I understand the complaint that it's shallow, but I thought there was a lot more variety, if each area was somewhat smaller to compensate. The original has a similar count of depth upgrades, is there anything interesting between 900 and 1700? I really liked ducking into a small cave, scanning an artifact, and knowing I never had to go back.

Similar complaints about the over-land areas. I didn't mind the original Subnautica ones on a re-play, I made a beeline for the floating island to get the multi-purpose room scans. The later alien bases had silly wonky physics but overall they were short and straightforward. In BZ I spent a stupid amount of time wandering around the snowfox area without knowing if I was going in circles. I got there by repairing the bridge, y'all make it sound like there are a couple paths? I couldn't get in the lower one until I got the laser cutter scan from inside. I appreciate what they were going for, like similar to how underwater is oxygen-limited the heat forces a similar exploration cycle. But the snowdrifts with hills and caves all just look the same, color the hills or something. I didn't get enough scans for the above-ground vehicle, maybe it makes those sections fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I like BZ's depth. Most zones seem to have an ocean area, then a deeper cave area that is different and more dangerous. find a crevasse in Twisty Bridges and finding the Deep Twisty is really tense and exciting. Same for the area under lillypads. The surface areas blow chunks. Walking sucks, heat sucks, the worms are terrible.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

JawnV6 posted:

I understand the complaint that it's shallow, but I thought there was a lot more variety, if each area was somewhat smaller to compensate. The original has a similar count of depth upgrades, is there anything interesting between 900 and 1700?

Besides going off the edge of the map, I couldn't find any content lower than the ~1000m mark where you finish the last major plot point before the end of the game. Still close enough to the surface that you can comfortably get down there with the seatruck if you have the final depth upgrade, I don't think there's anything in the game that requires the added depth from the final prawn suit upgrade.

quote:

I didn't get enough scans for the above-ground vehicle, maybe it makes those sections fun.

Not really, but it speeds things up a bit, acts as a source of heat, and you can fit it with an upgrade to stop the snow worms from attacking you as much.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

redreader posted:

I don't know. I was into subnautica when it was in early access, and they did actually finish the game properly

Did they though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Wafflecopper posted:

Did they though

Yes. They did.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does the multiplayer mod for the OG game work at all with story mode? Now that it’s recently been improved a bunch I’m thinking about a group play through if that’s an option.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

redreader posted:

Yes. They did.

The last third of the game was linear, rushed, and buggy as gently caress. Didn't feel finished at all imo and left a bad taste in my mouth after loving the early and mid game (pop-in issues aside) and was bad enough I'm on the fence about getting BZ. But I'm sure the thread's been over this argument ad nauseum so I'll leave it at that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been reading this thread since Below Zero's first build came out and I haven't seen anyone argue about this but so far it seems I'm in the minority. I played the early access of the original and loved it, then replayed it and finished it when it came out. I got stuck in terrain a couple of times but that was about it, a save and reload fixed that. In Below Zero I haven't seen any bugs at all.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

redreader posted:

In Below Zero I haven't seen any bugs at all.

That's heartening to hear. If your experience is typical then I'll probably give it a shot

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yes, there’s been lengthy discussion in this very thread about the fact that UW still hasn’t cared to fix several very obvious and sometimes game-breaking bugs despite being made aware of them by testers and players several times over the past years. You could definitely make the argument that it’s still an unfinished product in several aspects.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

redreader posted:

I haven't been reading this thread since Below Zero's first build came out and I haven't seen anyone argue about this but so far it seems I'm in the minority. I played the early access of the original and loved it, then replayed it and finished it when it came out. I got stuck in terrain a couple of times but that was about it, a save and reload fixed that. In Below Zero I haven't seen any bugs at all.

Wafflecopper posted:

That's heartening to hear. If your experience is typical then I'll probably give it a shot

I've only had one experience with a bug in BZ so far, which I wrote up in this thread - hilariously this was right after I made a post saying I hadn't hit any noticeable bugs yet. I'm not counting minor, harmless stuff like passive mobs glitching through base/vehicle as a bug, mind.

Still, not at all bad and seems better than the first game in that regard, great to see the devs improving.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

BZ Chat

I got the map mod just for the above ground sections cause trying to figure out where stuff is and not get turned around is a pain in the rear end. Also my tried and true strategy of "Walk on the above water part with the Prawn suit" still works really well. Its slower, but you dont have to worry about heat, and I usually just load the storage space with food / water / medkits / 2 power cells and go on my way.

Though the Ice Worm now does upwards of 50% damage to the Prawn if you get hit with its big attack so uh, be ready for that.

I am happy they got rid of the "Scan the tablets to make a tablet to go back and into the alien part" though. That was a massive pain in the rear end.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Arctic Peeper
https://twitter.com/scott_kerr/status/1345759827889422336?s=20

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok so, below zero chat. For people who don't want to be spoiled, I'm just saying that it's incomplete, and that prompts for the plot seem to be missing, rather than just 'the end section is not there' which seems to also be a thing. It's good to play but I think I'll have to restart when it comes out probably? If you've waited this long, play it to base build now since the mechanics seem to all be there, or just wait a few more months 'til it's done.

So I've never seen an ice worm, but I ran out of story prompts when I visited Margerite at her glacial greenhouse. I have made it into the ice caves and built the architect's skeleton, the first part of his body, but the next things to build are blank, and he's not saying anything to me any more, after saying 'build the next component' with no signs about what that might be. I went to the lab too, and that didn't advance the story. I haven't seen an ice worm or any other land predators, so there must be an above ground section I'm missing. I don't really care about being spoiled any more so I wonder what I'm missing and if that's supposed to move the plot or if I've done a bunch of stuff out of turn.

I didn't find where sam went to blow something up in a cave, and I haven't found any magnetite yet so I must be missing some fairly deep area although I don't really have any idea where.

edit: I thought maybe if I went back to my base I might get more talk, or if I built a control room and entered it the plot might advance. Nope. I have a base with a moonpool, alien containment, 2 all purpose rooms and a scanner room. I am lacking magnetite.

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 15, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

redreader posted:

Ok so, below zero chat. For people who don't want to be spoiled, I'm just saying that it's incomplete, and that prompts for the plot seem to be missing, rather than just 'the end section is not there' which seems to also be a thing. It's good to play but I think I'll have to restart when it comes out probably? If you've waited this long, play it to base build now since the mechanics seem to all be there, or just wait a few more months 'til it's done.

So I've never seen an ice worm, but I ran out of story prompts when I visited Margerite at her glacial greenhouse. I have made it into the ice caves and built the architect's skeleton, the first part of his body, but the next things to build are blank, and he's not saying anything to me any more, after saying 'build the next component' with no signs about what that might be. I went to the lab too, and that didn't advance the story. I haven't seen an ice worm or any other land predators, so there must be an above ground section I'm missing. I don't really care about being spoiled any more so I wonder what I'm missing and if that's supposed to move the plot or if I've done a bunch of stuff out of turn.

I didn't find where sam went to blow something up in a cave, and I haven't found any magnetite yet so I must be missing some fairly deep area although I don't really have any idea where.

edit: I thought maybe if I went back to my base I might get more talk, or if I built a control room and entered it the plot might advance. Nope. I have a base with a moonpool, alien containment, 2 all purpose rooms and a scanner room. I am lacking magnetite.

I think you might not have visited an aboveground area: in an earlier post you mentioned not having the snowfox/pad blueprints, is that still the case? As far as predators on land, I did hit the iceworm a lot earlier in my playthrough of an earlier build, but snow stalkers are fairly common in the area I'm thinking of - they are where you want to have the remote control penguin thing for grabbing the fur.

With magnetite, I have found it sparingly at depth (can't remember where), but also growing in veins in caves on land, in the region where there are snow stalkers. Fortunately you don't need very much of it.

If you're looking for a vague (because I can't remember any better off the top of my head) hint of where to go, that general area is where those jellyfish I mentioned in an earlier post are - you can penetrate further through some narrow caves with the Seaglide or bashing the truck cab through. Per my earlier post, be wary about leaving a vehicle there unattended.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 15, 2021

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I got all my magnetite in crystal caves but it's kind of a pita to find and the shadow leviathan loves blowing up your prawn suit if you leave it behind so watch out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got mine in the cave where you can get the popcorn anemones (I think?), close to where the Omega lab was under the lily pads. There is a circular hole there that goes deep, but has a gigantic rock almost (but not quite) blocking the way all the way around it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the pointers. But... I think without audio logs telling me to go there, I'm just going there for no reason. I suspect I'm missing some plot. I've enjoyed it and played it solidly for like 30-40 hours at this point but I think I'm putting it down until it's done, because I'm just going to locations you're telling me about with no real reason, due to having exhausted all of the 'go here now' plot pointers.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

redreader posted:

Thanks for the pointers. But... I think without audio logs telling me to go there, I'm just going there for no reason.

Yeah, this is a difference in playstyle for us - I follow the audiologs if the game's throwing it in my face, but generally I just go out and wander around to find stuff.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bad Munki posted:

Does the multiplayer mod for the OG game work at all with story mode? Now that it’s recently been improved a bunch I’m thinking about a group play through if that’s an option.

Yes the story beats occur for all players. It's a little buggy, much like the game is, but its doable.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, this is a difference in playstyle for us - I follow the audiologs if the game's throwing it in my face, but generally I just go out and wander around to find stuff.

I suppose you could say that. I have explored all of the places I can think of and didn't find some of them without pointers from this thread. But I'm going to the places and nothing is happening so it seems like really the places are there but the plot isn't fully in place. I have no real goal right now, or I do but no way to pursue it without just wandering around aimlessly and looking in every hole, when I am fairly sure I have explored every hole (but clearly I haven't!)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

redreader posted:

Thanks for the pointers. But... I think without audio logs telling me to go there, I'm just going there for no reason. I suspect I'm missing some plot. I've enjoyed it and played it solidly for like 30-40 hours at this point but I think I'm putting it down until it's done, because I'm just going to locations you're telling me about with no real reason, due to having exhausted all of the 'go here now' plot pointers.

The story in BZ is kind of split in two which might be the reason you're not getting new markers telling where to go. There's the whole thing with AL-AN being transferred into your head and trying to craft him a new body and then there's the half where Sam was trying to cure a mutation of the Khara bacteria by studying the frozen leviathan and your quest to find what actually happened. I think the game expects you to be working through both at once though they seemed kind of disconnected. The half with AL-AN is effectively the main goal of the game and will lead to the ending once you've satisfied the requirements (and the devs complete the game), the half with Sam and the Khara only appears to end with an optional achievement but I think you need to engage with it to at least some extent for the main quest to progress fully.

As someone else said, head west from your starting pod and poke around on the surface around the area with the jellyfish. Or don't, since it sounds like you've already experienced everything the game has to show underwater and the land sections are trash.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Coming from the original to BZ I'm baffled by how rare table coral is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Laughing Zealot posted:

Coming from the original to BZ I'm baffled by how rare table coral is.

Yeah it's just in a different place entirely and looks different and AFAIK is mostly only in one biome. I would look that one up honestly. (assuming you don't know already)