Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The heat and the dust storms can be brutal, but 100% in the valley, outside of theft, you can definitely get away with storing bikes outside without too much worry, especially if you have a backyard area for them.

captainOrbital posted:

I'll tell you his secret, but it's going to be disappointing.

There's a mirror.

holy poo poo how did I not realize this. I am not bright.

Still kinda impressed, just not as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My favorite PHX anecdote is a good friend of mine moved there right after college to escape the Wisconsin winters, only to find out that PHX has a reverse winter from like May-Sep where it’s over 100 degrees every day and you basically can’t be outside.

:owned:

Also for some reason every job I’ve had has sent me to Phoenix. It’s how I learned the hard way about monsoons. Being a Midwesterner I’m used to the rain lasting for hours on end.

Naturally when I was leaving for the airport to head home, and it started downpouring, I figured I just needed to sprint to my car because it would be raining for a while. Little did I know the rain would only be for like 15 minutes and that’s it. Most uncomfortable, soaked to the bone plane ride I’ve ever had.

Also :owned:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 6, 2021

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Every summer I go through the cycle of "ugh gently caress this sucks I hate this why do I have a bike" until about October then it's "hell yeah this is awesome" for a few months until it starts all over again. Last year though, that May-Sep ended up being like March-Nov, 2020 was the worst.

When I first started commuting to work, I was so amped about riding I tried to do it every day even during monsoon season, and more than once I got caught in one of the flash storms. Left one morning, sun in the sky, about 15 minutes down the highway it's pouring down rain like we're setting up for a biblical flood. Soaked completely through for the rest of the day at work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was shocked by how intense the monsoons are and how fast they come on. It’s like a mini hurricane compressed into 15 minutes

The guy at the hotel desk told me to wait out the rain and I definitely didn’t understand what he meant because I figured if I did that I’d miss my flight. What he really meant was “wait like 10 minutes” lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yea it's awesome, the phoenix area only gets like 5 inches of rain a year but it all happens in six 15-minute periods over two weeks in august, preceded by the sky going dark with orange and purple lightning.

i loved monsoon season out there. where can i move that it happens like 100 days a year instead

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was wondering how the rear brake on the handlebar worked but the simplest answer was right - two levers on the left side

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hmm, I want this. I'll wire that up on my next gravel bike. My nx250 is a drum brake rear.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Are there any notable manufacturers of LHRBs and thumb brakes, that aren’t crazy race money?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, because there's no notable reasons to have one that aren't crazy expensive racing reasons.

Maybe you could be the first to uncomprehendingly cargo cult them onto a street bike, within a couple of years you'll be able to buy them for $30 on aliexpress. This is the reason you can buy siiiick adjustable levers, rear seats etc that are all bulk-milled out of recycled coke cans somewhere in china - a muppet saw a race bike and decided he must have those parts because there can't be any other reason he sucks at riding, all the other muppets convinced themselves of the same thing, the resultant huge vortex of muppetry stirred up some papers on a desk somewhere in a marketing department and now you can buy KTM badged machined alloy orange anodised garden gate hinge protectors.

Another way of putting it: cheap and good will never, ever be the same thing when it comes to brakes and suspension.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Are there any notable manufacturers of LHRBs and thumb brakes, that aren’t crazy race money?

clake makes excellent LHBs, but they are expensive

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

No, because there's no notable reasons to have one that aren't crazy expensive racing reasons.

Maybe you could be the first to uncomprehendingly cargo cult them onto a street bike, within a couple of years you'll be able to buy them for $30 on aliexpress. This is the reason you can buy siiiick adjustable levers, rear seats etc that are all bulk-milled out of recycled coke cans somewhere in china - a muppet saw a race bike and decided he must have those parts because there can't be any other reason he sucks at riding, all the other muppets convinced themselves of the same thing, the resultant huge vortex of muppetry stirred up some papers on a desk somewhere in a marketing department and now you can buy KTM badged machined alloy orange anodised garden gate hinge protectors.

Another way of putting it: cheap and good will never, ever be the same thing when it comes to brakes and suspension.

They’re already on street bikes. Stunt bikes use them constantly and have probably driven the prices down to pretty normal levels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing I've seen of stunt bikes leads me to believe they care about quality but it's true they have them, still expensive as gently caress over here at least.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

clake makes excellent LHBs, but they are expensive

I just put a clake 2 on my bike (450 exc-f), fwiw. It’s definitely quite tough and very well made. I still wouldn’t ride single track without barkbusters though.

I’ve only had it on for ~24h of riding so far. Maybe 95%+ single track. I think it does two things for me.

1. You never have to move your feet. This means you can stay standing and planted even if you’re braking or about to brake and allows me to just lock in and ride without worrying about my feet. Since I have limited brain, this is quite helpful (and gets more helpful the more used to it I get).

2. Finer braking control. My finger is better at applying modulated pressure. As a practical matter this means I feel better at using the rear brake to change direction. Hopefully this keeps getting better as I get more used to it.

It also lets me put either foot down if I stop on a hill. That’s really just an added bonus though.

There were definitely some hairy moments at first when I stabbed at the foot brake only to find empty air (clake 2 has one with foot brake too/dual control but I got mine used and it didn’t come like that) but overall I like it a lot. It’s not worth a grand, but I’ll keep it on all my bikes going forward. I’d be curious to see what a really good rider who committed to using it thought but I suspect it’s like alternative front suspension. If you’re good, you don’t want to change things up because you’re already good.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

these flipped bars are wild. wouldn't your knees be knocking into them if you're pushing the bike under while turning?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

From what I've seen he usually rides knee down rather than supermoto style

https://www.instagram.com/p/B77Ae-oF3mC/

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

well drat, that's a whole lotta bike for an ok price

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem with buying a bike that holds lap records is then I'll have to blame myself for my slow lap times rather than my equipment. Also, for the money I think I'd get an Ohvale GP-0 190:

https://www.risemoto.com/shop-gp-0

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've seen some people graft in a mountain bike hydro brake master to allow for a lhrb setup. Its plumbed into the rear masters output.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
FB marketplace has a seller with $4700 for a 2018 Z650 ABS with 3000 miles, seems like a good deal? What do you guys think?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've seen some people graft in a mountain bike hydro brake master to allow for a lhrb setup. Its plumbed into the rear masters output.

My understanding is that these just can’t lock up the rear in the same way the clake can. But I’ve certainly never tried one and if you’re using it for fine braking while you use the foot brake for more aggressive braking that makes sense to me.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

OctaMurk posted:

FB marketplace has a seller with $4700 for a 2018 Z650 ABS with 3000 miles, seems like a good deal? What do you guys think?

That's a grand under what KBB rates it. Seems like a solid deal if the bike is clean.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'm a little unclear on this reason for selling.
https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cobleskill-2008-ktm-990/7260246277.html
For sale is a 2008 KTM 990 with 9866 miles. Has a salvage title, I have all the paperwork from when it was inspected the damage was to the front rim and the scratches you can see in the front fearing, I have a new front fearing that comes with it. The mods include renazco racing seat, Remus Revolution exhaust, a KTM rear luggage box (real handy for the commuter), panier racks (BMW gs style luggage clips), I also have the stock mufflers and grab handles. I bought it last year rode it to and from work. It just does not suit my riding style. I am selling it because I don’t have a garage and I store it in my living room, I could really use the space.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

builds character posted:

For sale is a 2008 KTM 990 with 9866 miles. Has a salvage title, I have all the paperwork from when it was inspected the damage was to the front rim and the scratches you can see in the front fearing, I have a new front fearing that comes with it. The mods include renazco racing seat, Remus Revolution exhaust, a KTM rear luggage box (real handy for the commuter), panier racks (BMW gs style luggage clips), I also have the stock mufflers and grab handles. I bought it last year rode it to and from work. It just does not suit my riding style. I am selling it because I don’t have a garage and I store it in my living room, I could really use the space.
I think he means the title was rebuilt. Otherwise he's riding around on illegal bike with no license plate, because nobody's going to register or insure that crap

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

I think he means the title was rebuilt. Otherwise he's riding around on illegal bike with no license plate, because nobody's going to register or insure that crap

I think that's right. I was really just pointing out this part:

ad posted:

I am selling it because I don’t have a garage and I store it in my living room, I could really use the space.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
You wouldn’t do that? If I could and didn’t rent, I don’t see why not

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the garage space for my bikes and I still wish I could bring them inside

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

You wouldn’t do that? If I could and didn’t rent, I don’t see why not

Oh, no. The opposite. That's no reason to sell!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If your cold there cold bring them inside - biek edition.

Shame that got salvaged over such a small amount of damage. But they could also be lying through their teeth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Shame that got salvaged over such a small amount of damage. But they could also be lying through their teeth.

Even here, where they're overpriced badly, that is a catastrophic amount of (wallet) damage on planet orange.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah thinking more about how tf that is priced at $6k with at best a rebuilt title. There’s several flavors of 950 in MI at around $4k, some 990s at $6500 ( and RED BULL SPECIAL EDS for $8.5), and 1190s running $8k, none with that baggage.

None of this takes a regular therapist into account.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Why drop 2 grand on a couch when you could just drive a goldwing into your living room and use that instead?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

Tried this with my WR250X by riding it up my front through the front door of my house. I'm an idiot and should have measured the width of the handlebars first, they were about an inch too wide. Had the whole neighborhood cheering me on, sorry everyone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Why drop 2 grand on a couch when you could just drive a goldwing into your living room and use that instead?

I had to finesse it but I made it work

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You're a good mod, Charlie BrownSilly-Balls

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gorson posted:

Tried this with my WR250X by riding it up my front through the front door of my house. I'm an idiot and should have measured the width of the handlebars first, they were about an inch too wide. Had the whole neighborhood cheering me on, sorry everyone.

Gotta cut those bars down. Helps for woods riding too!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wonder how terrifying clipons on a ds/sumo would be...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had to finesse it but I made it work

You are this forum's suzuki. Same threads, but new colorways occasionally!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 15, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

You are this forum's suzuki.

As Suzuki super fan #1 this is the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I wonder how terrifying clipons on a ds/sumo would be...

It would be like an 80's sportbike without the power.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

nothing really jumps out at me as this being a bad idea. it's not priced like a typical hosed up salvage titled bike. my r6 was totaled when a guy (who also nabbed a dui) tipped it over in my parking space in college. I collected my check and just bought a new fairing and left the dent in the tank and pocketed the rest after going through the buyback process :shrug:

definitely made selling it a bit of an issue, but then again, that was on craigslist and all craigslist people are morons

that being said, you could just troll advrider every once in awhile and find a better deal, but I personally would not have issues buying that bike as long as I could take a look at the welds on the trellises and the headstock which is pretty easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

builds character posted:

Gotta cut those bars down. Helps for woods riding too!

These are your standard Renthal 1 1/8" bars, how much narrower would you recommend? I like having the wide grip on the street but I have street bikes already and use it 80% offroad.