Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

dredd is awesome. it takes place in 2 locations, the cop shop and the building.

and karl urban never takes the helmet off, which alone makes it better than the stalone/schneider one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
that graey alien post about riddick >>>>>>Aliens>Alien

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

dredd is awesome. it takes place in 2 locations, the cop shop and the building.

and karl urban never takes the helmet off, which alone makes it better than the stalone/schneider one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=821ft1hVTtw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not the stallone one?

i didn’t know there was a new dredd or robocop. next you’re gonna tell me they remade the karate kid

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

not the stallone one?

i didn’t know there was a new dredd or robocop. next you’re gonna tell me they remade the karate kid

i don't think dredd 2012 counts as a remake. it's a completely different movie.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

not the stallone one?

dude I know you got kids and and live on the rear end end of the planet, but come on get in touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-eI5oLlIeY

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

i don't think dredd 2012 counts as a remake. it's a completely different movie.
from what little i saw it kind of felt like the mad max sequel thing where the movies take place in a similar but not concretely same setting, and each installment is a particular twist on the saga

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
dredd remake is coming up on a decade old lol. i can't believe i put it off for so long

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

the guy who plays Marco in The Expanse is fuckin great

agreed

also holy poo poo the last episode

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
bad guys are my fav characters, and mama is one of the best antagonists ever

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
dredd 2012 is amazing, i never realized what a great mouth? actor karl urban is

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
mama is like simon pheonix levels of amazing antagonist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb21_qI90pE

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should make a sequel to dredd and add baby yoda to it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

just finished robert cop. first half is more interesting than the back half but overall it was fine. it is also 100% nothing like the original and does not overwrite it in any way to my mind

now to watch the dredd remake

the scene in robertcop where they show whats left of his body is legit terrifying

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

just finished robert cop. first half is more interesting than the back half but overall it was fine. it is also 100% nothing like the original and does not overwrite it in any way to my mind

What did you think of the one really effective scene in it

You know which one I mean

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aaahh gently caress off Shaggar

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
robocop remake absolutely suffered from not having a solid bad guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQI8g4NJoI

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

mystes posted:

They should make a sequel to dredd and add baby yoda to it.

only if he's chucked into some kind of mutant blender in the opening 5

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

robocop remake absolutely suffered from not having a solid bad guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQI8g4NJoI

yeah thats absolutely the weakest part of the film. every movie from that period has generic evil tech billionaire because hollywood execs hate competition

e: clarence boddicker is great

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah thats absolutely the weakest part of the film. every movie from that period has generic evil tech billionaire because hollywood execs hate competition

e: clarence boddicker is great

even the most horrifying part of the robocop remake was ripped off from robocop 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m90Rm0RX-8

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

bladerunner 2049 is kind of a remake and its probably better than the original

blade runner 2049 worked yeah. probably because the worst part of blade runner was the specific story they told and it was the setting that everyone liked, which is the easiest thing to copy over into a better new movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

even the most horrifying part of the robocop remake was ripped off from robocop 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m90Rm0RX-8

nah it was done better in robertcop

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yo what's left of hollywood, hire me to write your antagonist. I love it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

nah it was done better in robertcop

no way man, cain getting chopped and put in a jar is way worse

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

fifth element had a good generic billionaire villan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

blade runner 2049 worked yeah. probably because the worst part of blade runner was the specific story they told and it was the setting that everyone liked, which is the easiest thing to copy over into a better new movie

its absolutely not easy to copy properly. denis did a fantastic job and i think there are few working directors who could have pulled it off.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

zorg is a fantastic villian

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

hes more like palpy in that he revels in his evilness which is great

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Truman Peyote posted:

I really like broad city but come to think of it I haven't watched a single episode since I saw the Hillary Clinton one

that episode was really off putting to me and has only soured with age

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the proper way to do tech ceo antagonists is silicon valley.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the scene in robertcop where they show whats left of his body is legit terrifying

Sagebrush posted:

What did you think of the one really effective scene in it

You know which one I mean
i was semi-warned and it's still quite arresting even 7 years on. very effective and solidly contributes to the "first half is more interesting". paced well, played well, executed well. hosed up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

its absolutely not easy to copy properly. denis did a fantastic job and i think there are few working directors who could have pulled it off.

maybe. i just think blade runner was a great candidate for a remake because it was a boring story but everything else about the movie owned

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the 3d in dredd is amazing because the drugs they use gently caress with the 3d, it is a great combo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i really liked the karl urban dredd

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The best part of robocop is that they left in the yodeling in Hocus Pocus

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

The best part of robocop is that they left in the yodeling in Hocus Pocus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i showed superbad to my gf other night coz she had never seen it

fuckin classic. although wow society progressed a bit since 2007. it held up better than I expected and I was half expecting my gf to think it was poo poo but she liked it more than i expected.

michael cera and jonah hill were perfectly cast. the worst part of the movie are the cops

when michael ceras character is about to get with the girl and she says she so wet and he goes “they said that would happen” omg just absolute 🤌

or when he’s in class and he’s staring at her tits and he realises she’s noticed and he pretends to look around the room? that was so relatable.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i showed superbad to my gf other night coz she had never seen it

fuckin classic. although wow society progressed a bit since 2007. it held up better than I expected and I was half expecting my gf to think it was poo poo but she liked it more than i expected.

michael cera and jonah hill were perfectly cast. the worst part of the movie are the cops

when michael ceras character is about to get with the girl and she says she so wet and he goes “they said that would happen” omg just absolute 🤌

or when he’s in class and he’s staring at her tits and he realises she’s noticed and he pretends to look around the room? that was so relatable.

i lost it when young jonah hill character got busted for drawing dicks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

yeah wackwife is burning thru content in the pandemic and is now rewatching shows from the late 90s and holy poo poo the stuff they used to pass as ok on TV - she is watching Just Shoot Me right now and every other episode is just 30 mins of sexual harassment in the workplace played to a laugh track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
It's hard to think of 90's tv as edgy but yeah, almost none of the heterosexual relationships from then would pass muster today.

Going further back, The Thing still holds up really well. I can't believe they made this movie in the 80's but haven't figured out how to bottle this lightning since.