Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shame on every single poster for not saying Just Cause 2 (or 3).

I’m deeply disappointed.

Hell I didn’t even see Red Faction Guerrilla mentioned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm really enjoying Death Stranding.

I'm still in the neverending intro, but I'm finding all the gobbledygook dialogue and too-obvious imagery really endearing. I think it's because the actors are being really earnest and are genuinely good, and the scenes themselves are pretty well directed. Not yet sure about Léa Seydoux from the little I've seen of her though. I know for a fact that she's a really talented actor, but I suspect she really struggled with the Kojima dialogue, which the others seem to be taking in stride. Like she doesn't understand the words coming out of her mouth. We'll see.
I was getting irritated when a couple of characters were going hard with the AMERICA=HUMANITY=AMERICA:byodood:, American exceptionalism gets old fast, but then Sam calls them a cult. Norman Reedus is great and I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to make me feel emotionally invested in his sad sack character despite the nonsense world of jumbled concepts Kojima threw together on the strength of his performance alone.

Also, I have a now mediocre PC and have resigned myself to locking the FPS at 45 with some occasional drops for open world games since Assassin's Creed Origins, but by some crazy voodoo this game runs at a smooth 60 and looks amazing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Re. The Saboteur

Fart of Presto posted:

Oh, I have no idea why I didn't see this when I last tried to get it to run.

I'll try it out right away. Thanks :)
Following up on this, the patch didn't work. The patcher says the Origin version is an "Unknown version".
Trying to install the retail beta patch only makes the launcher start, then tells me it can't find a CD/DVD drive.

But I found this on reddit, and the mentioned patch in the comment to the main article, works!
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSaboteur/comments/jlh11o/gog_patch_for_the_origin_version/
Edit: It's a replacement for the main exe file.

If you run the VideoSetup.exe in the install dir before launching the game, set the refresh rate to 60Hz (max), then you can pick whatever resolution you want to play in. It started up fine for me in 2560*1440.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 14, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Trickyblackjack posted:

Also, I have a now mediocre PC and have resigned myself to locking the FPS at 45 with some occasional drops for open world games since Assassin's Creed Origins, but by some crazy voodoo this game runs at a smooth 60 and looks amazing.

That engine just kicks rear end. If you have a 2060 (not even the 2060 super, just the regular ol’ 2060) or something the DLSS means that you can hit 4k60 with maxed settings easy, and the 2060 is not a great card.

Also the part in the intro where you’re running along and the Low Roar song kicks in is up there with the airport shootout in Max Payne 3 for “best music related gaming moments”. That poo poo gave me chills.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

So I got into Metal Gear Sold 5 late and had been enjoying the FOB building and invading multiplayer but in the past couple days I've been invaded twice by an obvious hacker with infinite health and who laid a minefield of stun grenades that didn't go off until I walked over them (I saw grenades on the ground, figured they were spent smoke grenades and walked over them then they instantly all blew up). Is it possible to block this rear end in a top hat? If I can't then this has basically killed any interest in playing this anymore.

PC MGSV FOB stuff is a complete lawless wasteland that has never had even the slightest moderation going on, if you didn't run into that guy you'd run into someone else.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That engine just kicks rear end. If you have a 2060 (not even the 2060 super, just the regular ol’ 2060) or something the DLSS means that you can hit 4k60 with maxed settings easy, and the 2060 is not a great card.

Also the part in the intro where you’re running along and the Low Roar song kicks in is up there with the airport shootout in Max Payne 3 for “best music related gaming moments”. That poo poo gave me chills.

Same, I loved that. I have a 1060Ti and the game runs beautifully.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That's a nice FOB you got there. Would be a shame if something happened to it. Why don't you look at our various insurance options?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not a goon, but I just got a VOTE FOR MY TEAM thing from someone I haven't talked to in close to 10 years :lol:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Absolutely. I knew licensed music was in the game, but maybe on like Sam's Walkman that the player had control over? Choice melancholic pop used sparingly at precise moments is just :discourse:

The game oozes atmosphere.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Orv posted:

PC MGSV FOB stuff is a complete lawless wasteland that has never had even the slightest moderation going on, if you didn't run into that guy you'd run into someone else.

Well that sucks rear end

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

I'll admit it: Saints Row 3's intro mission got me interested in Kanye West.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Orv posted:

I was loving the gameplay in MSGV, but heard about the online FOB crap, and stopped playing as I didn't want anyone raiding my base. I mean, shouldn't that be an option to partake in that or not?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The option to not play against other people online for MGS5 is playing it on the PS3.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
MGS5 is such a trainwreck. Oh what could have been :sigh:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kragger99 posted:

I was loving the gameplay in MSGV, but heard about the online FOB crap, and stopped playing as I didn't want anyone raiding my base. I mean, shouldn't that be an option to partake in that or not?
You will never get invaded in MGS5 unless you've actively chosen to invade someone. It's a hard limit. You're not a target unless you've chosen to target someone else at least once. If you just play the game and ignore the online, you will never have to deal with this. The game does not make it adequately clear, but the PVP poo poo is optional.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

nobody invaded me until i spent like a dozen hours after finishing the single player invading other bases and stealing stuff and generally making myself a more attractive target

theres also an "offline mode" option that i guess just turns all the FOB stuff off

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kragger99 posted:

I also stop playing games I'm enjoying before a thing I wouldn't enjoy theoretically is included in the game, without confirming whether or not I can choose to engage in it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
At the 180 hour mark, I modded my game anyway to spice things up, including resource drops amount.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can't choose not to engage in it. You can mostly avoid it by ignoring it. You can get invaded something like every 3 days when you're active and IDK how often when inactive. Defending your FOB will make you get invaded more.

It's an absolutely garbage system with no redeeming qualities. Game is still great.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How does pvp metal gear solid even work?

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

Eh, you can play the game in offline mode.
But yeah, I too hated how the game pretty much tried to opt me in to the FOB crap as a "tutorial".

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

All i remember is that I took a long break from the game and when I logged back in I had like negative millions of dollars and then just decided to play something else

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Someone invades your FOB, or you theirs, you can fulton a bunch of stuff that they've collected and if you reach the objective on the central platform alive you keep everything you stole. I don't recall what the life setup was but I think it's one for the invader and infinite with progressively longer respawns for the defender.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Offline mode has the disadvantage of locking you out of your online storage, so you'll be able to store far fewer resources than normal. You'll also not be able to do any of the online-only research, some of which is pretty good.

But, as mentioned, unless you attack someone else first, you're basically untouchable. It's a non-problem.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm really glad I played MGSV before they decided to incentivize actually going online, like with the whole materials processing time or whatever. I guess it's so they could sell more of those microtransactions, insurance and FOB coins and whatnot.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I know I was playing MGS5 online when I was still playing it and yet never figured out where to go in the menus for any of the invasions or online FOB stuff, nor was I ever once invaded. :shrug:

Trickyblackjack posted:

I'm really enjoying Death Stranding.

I'm still in the neverending intro
If it starts to drag, make a beeline through the story deliveries and get to the second area. There's a TON of stuff that starts unlocking with almost every delivery there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

theres also an "offline mode" option that i guess just turns all the FOB stuff off

The problem with this is thst it confiscates the majority of your resources as you get them and says you can't use them until you go online.

(This was patched on. It used to be more optional.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Anonymous Robot posted:

You have one life if you are invading and you have to go through 100+ guys, random gun emplacements, and other technology the defender researched, over several platforms and the defender constantly respawns on death. You enter a door at the end of the map as a sort of finish line and grab some generated free soldiers who are ranked S++. It starts out with you silently spawning in and you have to avoid detection and make it through quickly or else the defender or his ally can spawn in after a time and the whole map goes on alert. Any losses you take from the guy is so easily replaceable and you can lock up your important soldiers so they never get permanently stolen. Even killing the guards is only a small chance of you actually losing them, which is why you steal them to make the defender angry.

K8.0 posted:

You can't choose not to engage in it. You can mostly avoid it by ignoring it. You can get invaded something like every 3 days when you're active and IDK how often when inactive. Defending your FOB will make you get invaded more.

It's an absolutely garbage system with no redeeming qualities. Game is still great.
It is a fast way of getting S++ guys and a couple dozen skyrockets your research.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm wrapping up Shadow of War right now, and while the online segments aren't mandatory, the entire game 'balance' is very strongly geared around grinding captains in a particular way, with an eye to make the online fortress things a "forever game".

I know why publishers are pushing for it, but it still makes your product a shittier one.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

You have one life if you are invading and you have to go through 100+ guys, random gun emplacements, and other technology the defender researched, over several platforms and the defender constantly respawns on death. You enter a door at the end of the map as a sort of finish line and grab some generated free soldiers who are ranked S++. It starts out with you silently spawning in and you have to avoid detection and make it through quickly or else the defender or his ally can spawn in after a time and the whole map goes on alert. Any losses you take from the guy is so easily replaceable and you can lock up your important soldiers so they never get permanently stolen. Even killing the guards is only a small chance of you actually losing them, which is why you steal them to make the defender angry.

this is how it works when you attack but if you're defending then the attacker is unkillable and has infinite ammo

e: also an unfun part is that to get the best gear you need to have room for more soldiers, which requires you to build more bases, which requires you to buy the paid currency or wait like three months for the free daily drips of paid currency to add up enough to buy one base

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 15, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Xarbala posted:

Don't give up, and remember that you can be better than you think you are. And make sure to do the cryptid questline.

Haha, this was from quite a while ago, but I just beat Disco Elysium, and goodness, thanks for the hint to do the whole cryptid business. I was mostly playing the game while trying to just hyperfocus on the main story and not get involved with side activities, but I can't imagine getting to the ending without...THAT happening (among the many other fascinating things happening from side activities).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FutureCop posted:

Haha, this was from quite a while ago, but I just beat Disco Elysium, and goodness, thanks for the hint to do the whole cryptid business. I was mostly playing the game while trying to just hyperfocus on the main story and not get involved with side activities, but I can't imagine getting to the ending without...THAT happening (among the many other fascinating things happening from side activities).

Fun fact: If you don't get splashed with bug pheromones, then the check to talk to it will always fail. So if you're not following that quest line, it's just a weird non-sequitur that only lasts like one line of dialog.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Begemot posted:

Fun fact: If you don't get splashed with bug pheromones, then the check to talk to it will always fail. So if you're not following that quest line, it's just a weird non-sequitur that only lasts like one line of dialog.

Oh wow, I just figured that the event wouldn't happen. God, that event would be mind-boggling without the context (though the game does seem to want you to do a lot of side activities, so I imagine many would have some context)

And I laid on the pheromones THICK, baby. Though no, I did not lick my finger after getting some of its juice on it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Been loving around with Tabletop Sim again. It's S T U P I D how good some modern mods look.

We went from grainy .jpg tokens and rules written in notecards to photoscanned miniatures and robots doing all the busywork.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh wow, that Azul mod looks beautiful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I have no idea what half of that is, but it does look nice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Det_no posted:

Been loving around with Tabletop Sim again. It's S T U P I D how good some modern mods look.

We went from grainy .jpg tokens and rules written in notecards to photoscanned miniatures and robots doing all the busywork.

I really need to pick this up sometime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I really need to pick this up sometime.
It's in the Humble Choice for this month. For under 12 dollars, you can grab it and a bunch of other decent stuff as well.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's in the Humble Choice for this month. For under 12 dollars, you can grab it and a bunch of other decent stuff as well.

It's not though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cardiovorax posted:

No, it's not. Was February's leaked?